• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In hunting, Why is Pride any worst than gluttony?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
We are, that's precisely why we can choose not to take animal life and keep on living.

Then again, all mamals dri milk, so I guess you dont really believe in the existence of non herbivores :D

Only humans drink milk beyond infancy . And we are the only ones that cross species to do so .(and I mean beyond edge exceptions )

Example when is the last time you saw an adult male horse (gelded or other wise) running around chasing say ...a goat to suck milk out of its utters?

If its O.K to use other animals for milk as adults then why not meat ?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
YOU make the exception its "normal" and healthy and good to continue to drink milk (intended /created for another species infants) beyond infancy. You also think its O.K to eat the unfertalized eggs of certain birds too.

Why do you draw the line at eating the meat of that same species after its dead?

In all those ways you are USING that animal to feed your self. To satisfy your gullet very temporarily.

So you think its "O.K" to USE an animal to have a glass of milk and a couple of eggs ? But its "gluttony" to kill them and eat the meat?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I dont think it would be any more moral if you had the biological strength to subdue one thousand bears with your pinky toe without the use of tools.

But we don't. So you can speculate all you want .

Many people do not find it immoral at all to swat a mosquitto off their arm. In fact most don't.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
मैत्रावरुणिः;3573965 said:
Meat is cheaper in Kerala than veggies.

Some meat is cheaper here than many of our vegetables and fruit.

A lb of fatty meat here for example is going to cost a lot less than a lb of avocados.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Some meat is cheaper here than many of our vegetables and fruit.

A lb of fatty meat here for example is going to cost a lot less than a lb of avocados.

Aren't avocados naturally more expensive than (let's say) beans or lentils?

But, I don't mean some meat: beef in Kerala, India is cheaper than lamb meat and cheaper than lentils. Odd, right?

Me Myself

Back to my username
YOU make the exception its "normal" and healthy and good to continue to drink milk (intended /created for another species infants) beyond infancy. You also think its O.K to eat the unfertalized eggs of certain birds too.

Why do you draw the line at eating the meat of that same species after its dead?

In all those ways you are USING that animal to feed your self. To satisfy your gullet very temporarily.

So you think its "O.K" to USE an animal to have a glass of milk and a couple of eggs ? But its "gluttony" to kill them and eat the meat?

Wow, I mean sure I can tell you but I find it amazing you cant figure it out for yourself.

Killing a living being needlessly seems immoral. Caring for a living being and having something in return that does not takes hir life like milk and eggs is a completely different story.

Cant you see the difference? Really? Employers use the work of their employees and gain something and give something in return.

It would be kinf ppd if different to kill em and eat their meat o.o . You know, like, a bit different.

मैत्रावरुणिः;3573965 said:
Meat is cheaper in Kerala than veggies.

Where it truly be so that in Kerala a diet with meat is the cheapest one then it might be that they are meat eaters not primarily out of sloth or gluttony,

Me Myself

Back to my username
मैत्रावरुणिः;3573982 said:
Aren't avocados naturally more expensive than (let's say) beans or lentils?

Absolutely.

In most places veggie meal is way cheaper. Lentils and beans are generally way cheaper than meat. Rice is generally cheaper than meat, etc.

The reason people buy meat almost everywhere is because of both ignorance (thinking they need it to have a healy diet ) or gluttony (the lust for the taste is important enough for animals to die for them)

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
What about Native Americans back in the day? They respected every living being and offered heartfelt prayers after hunting a deer for food, hunting strictly for sustenance. That can't be immoral, surely, right?

Me Myself

Back to my username
i dont. If you found a cow or a lion that died naturally and wanted to roast it, I wouldnt see anything immoral about it.

Now if you though "mmm i want me some lion meat. Lets kill one!" Then thats the immoral part.

I am actually in the point were I can see it moral to care for a cow all its life and slaughtering it at the end as long as you didnt make her have a horrible and short life

psychoslice

Veteran Member
i dont. If you found a cow or a lion that died naturally and wanted to roast it, I wouldnt see anything immoral about it.

Now if you though "mmm i want me some lion meat. Lets kill one!" Then thats the immoral part.

I am actually in the point were I can see it moral to care for a cow all its life and slaughtering it at the end as long as you didnt make her have a horrible and short life

But who made up this law of morality for those who eat meat, you ?.

Me Myself

Back to my username
As Confucius once said, "You cannot argue with taste".

But they are.

They find the hunt untasteful for hunting sake, but they find it tasteful to if then s/he enjoys the flavor of the meat.

Its the same.

None of both is survival, both are killing for taste. Its just that one is merely psychological and the other one is both psychological and gastronomical.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Why?
I mean, why is it "immoral"?
What is it that makes it immoral?

Well, morality is subjective, but killing a living being for your gastronomical pleasure I would say definetely enters.

Now if you tell me it doesnt but it would be bad if they did it only for their psycholgical pleasure (pride of the hunt) then why the differentiation?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3574029 said:
Those tribes in Papua New Guinea say that human-flesh tastes like pork. :p

Well that's one way to thin out the over population lol.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
But they are.

They find the hunt untasteful for hunting sake, but they find it tasteful to if then s/he enjoys the flavor of the meat.

Its the same.

None of both is survival, both are killing for taste. Its just that one is merely psychological and the other one is both psychological and gastronomical.

Hellooo, don't we all like our food tasty ?.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Well, morality is subjective, but killing a living being for your gastronomical pleasure I would say definetely enters.

Now if you tell me it doesnt but it would be bad if they did it only for their psycholgical pleasure (pride of the hunt) then why the differentiation?

I do not understand what your basis for comparison is.
When I hunt, it is simply because I like to hunt.

The deer I kill are either eaten by me and mine or donated to feed the less fortunate.
The rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, possums, etc. are also donated to feed the less fortunate.
the coyotes and foxes are given (not sold) to a furtrader friend of mine.

I also fish because I like to fish.

Personally, I do not think it moral or immoral to hunt and or fish.
So I am without an understanding of what your basis for comparison is.