• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In hunting, Why is Pride any worst than gluttony?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Hellooo, don't we all like our food tasty ?.

Sure, and I loved meats taste too. I left it because I thought it was better to lesseny support for unnecessary suffering,

But you nissed the point of what I said.

This thread is a question.

I can understand (though I would disagree mightily with it) if someone tells me "I dont care about animals, I ll do whatever I want with them"
Ñwhat I dont get and havent got an andwer yet is why this happens:

Bob: I hunted and killed a lion today!

Linda: Nice! i never taste lion, how did it taste?

Bob: Oh no, I just like to hunt them and put their heads on my walls. I hate how meat tastes but I love how that head looks on my wall and I love to hunt lions

Linda: What?! Killing an animal without eating its meat that you dont need in the first place is so wrong! Whats the matter wi you?! You are a monster! There is something deeply wrong with you!

I just dont get Linda :shrug:

Me Myself

Back to my username
I do not understand what your basis for comparison is.
When I hunt, it is simply because I like to hunt.

The deer I kill are either eaten by me and mine or donated to feed the less fortunate.
The rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, possums, etc. are also donated to feed the less fortunate.
the coyotes and foxes are given (not sold) to a furtrader friend of mine.

I also fish because I like to fish.

Personally, I do not think it moral or immoral to hunt and or fish.
So I am without an understanding of what your basis for comparison is.

I think I explained it already.

I dont understand why differentiate hunt for the pleasure of hunting with whether or not the meat was eaten. Either way, it is killing a living being for pleasure.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I do not understand what your basis for comparison is.
When I hunt, it is simply because I like to hunt.

The deer I kill are either eaten by me and mine or donated to feed the less fortunate.
The rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, possums, etc. are also donated to feed the less fortunate.
the coyotes and foxes are given (not sold) to a furtrader friend of mine.

I also fish because I like to fish.

Personally, I do not think it moral or immoral to hunt and or fish.
So I am without an understanding of what your basis for comparison is.

I wish lions hunted us.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Sure, and I loved meats taste too. I left it because I thought it was better to lesseny support for unnecessary suffering,

But you nissed the point of what I said.

This thread is a question.

I can understand (though I would disagree mightily with it) if someone tells me "I dont care about animals, I ll do whatever I want with them"
Ñwhat I dont get and havent got an andwer yet is why this happens:

Bob: I hunted and killed a lion today!

Linda: Nice! i never taste lion, how did it taste?

Bob: Oh no, I just like to hunt them and put their heads on my walls. I hate how meat tastes but I love how that head looks on my wall and I love to hunt lions

Linda: What?! Killing an animal without eating its meat that you dont need in the first place is so wrong! Whats the matter wi you?! You are a monster! There is something deeply wrong with you!

I just dont get Linda :shrug:

Oh, my bad.
I did not realize this was what you were looking for.
Near far as I can tell, the only difference between the two is where the line is drawn.

Personally, i see no reason to bother with a line in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
मैत्रावरुणिः;3574068 said:
I wish lions hunted us.

That's easy enough...
Go to lion country, strip down to your nickers, put on a meat suit, run out in front of lions.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Oh, my bad.
I did not realize this was what you were looking for.
Near far as I can tell, the only difference between to the two is where the line is drawn.

Personally, i see no reason to bother with a line in the first place.

Line of what? Of how much we care about animals?

I find the line completely arbitrary, so I dont understand it at all.

Bothh are forms of killing for pleasure, in one of them part of that pleasure is gastronomical.

A completely different scenario would be Bob the head of the tribe that hunts because its the most efficient way to give a good diet to his tribe.

Not Bob who could have gone to walmart and bought a can of beans and some rice.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I think I explained it already.

I dont understand why differentiate hunt for the pleasure of hunting with whether or not the meat was eaten. Either way, it is killing a living being for pleasure.

Yeah, I finally caught on. (see post #65)

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
That's easy enough...
Go to lion country, strip down to your nickers, put on a meat suit, run out in front of lions.

No, baby-boo. What I mean is...

I wish they snuck up on us like how we sneak up on them. Rifles n shizz. And all that other jazz.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
मैत्रावरुणिः;3574078 said:
No, baby-boo. What I mean is...

I wish they snuck up on us like how we sneak up on them. Rifles n shizz. And all that other jazz.

Oh my.
That is a bit more complicated.
First you would need design a rifle lions can use.
Then you needs teach the lions how to use it.
Then you needs provide the lions with said rifles.

By the time you get that far, i should have the rest figured out.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Oh my.
That is a bit more complicated.
First you would need design a rifle lions can use.
Then you needs teach the lions how to use it.
Then you needs provide the lions with said rifles.

By the time you get that far, i should have the rest figured out.

Es Muy Perfecto!

Me Myself

Back to my username
Why does everyone who made that difference between hunting for pleasure of hunting and hunting for pleasure of tasting meat is avoiding the question?

What is the difference? None of them needs to kill the animal, both of them do it for pleasure. One of them involves food, but so what?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
मैत्रावरुणिः;3573982 said:
Aren't avocados naturally more expensive than (let's say) beans or lentils?

But, I don't mean some meat: beef in Kerala, India is cheaper than lamb meat and cheaper than lentils. Odd, right?

I only meant comparable.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Why does everyone who made that difference between hunting for pleasure of hunting and hunting for pleasure of tasting meat is avoiding the question?

What is the difference? None of them needs to kill the animal, both of them do it for pleasure. One of them involves food, but so what?

But, there is also hunting for just plainly eating, not necessarily for tasting the meat.

I truly agree that there is no need to kill the animal(s).

If stuff hit the fan in our world and we were thrown back to the stone age, I would take up hunting (as part of Dharma) to feed myself and my family or friends, if the acquisition of plants and herbs got difficult.

Me Myself

Back to my username
मैत्रावरुणिः;3574106 said:
But, there is also hunting for just plainly eating, not necessarily for tasting the meat.

I truly agree that there is no need to kill the animal(s).

If stuff hit the fan in our world and we were thrown back to the stone age, I would take up hunting (as part of Dharma) to feed myself and my family or friends, if the acquisition of plants and herbs got difficult.

Yes, but as I have said quite a few times now, I am not talk,ing about those cases.

If you are bob the tribe leader who hunted something so you all can eatecause othwerwise you will starve and die, I can comletely understand how it would be different than hunting because of pleasure.

If you were bob the guy leaving a couple of blocks near the supermarket, buying a gun and driving way far from your home to spend all day following tracks of some animals to kill and then eat... Then I dont understand it.

It would have costed that same bob less time and money to buy some lentils and beans for his dinner. The only difference is that he wouldnt taste meat nor have the pleasure to hunt it.

Those would be e only diffefences. Either way, Bob is fed.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
If you were bob the guy leaving a couple of blocks near the supermarket, buying a gun and driving way far from your home to spend all day following tracks of some animals to kill and then eat... Then I dont understand it.

I don't understand it either. I find the whole notion of hunting being a "sport" disturbing.

Me Myself

Back to my username
मैत्रावरुणिः;3574123 said:
I don't understand it either. I find the whole notion of hunting being a "sport" disturbing.

Well, i am asking.

I mean, its not like I am playing holier than thou. I was a meat eater for almost twenty years and as I said, I still technically support the industry I dont agree with because there are habits I wont be cutting myself out of anytime soon.

But I am asking in principle. I just dont understand why is there an alleged difference.

I could understand it we actually needed meat to survive, then it would make complete sense. But as it is now, I want to know how they think it is different.

Why do some people play holier than thou with others that hunt for fun just because they dont happen to eat that which they didnt need in the first place anyways?

Thats what I dont get. For some reason, this people dont talk. Which does make me feel it might be an arbitrary line made to feel like its those bad evil hunters that dont eat meat that are evil, now there is nothing wrong with killing needlessly if you will eat the non human victim.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
मैत्रावरुणिः;3573697 said:
Believe it or not, Metis...same goes for Hinduism. If you are living in the forest with just a bow and a few arrows, the male or female is allowed to hunt for sustenance only.

I didn't know that, so thanks for that information.

metis

But eating meat is not necessa for survival to almost no one.

Most peope eat meat out of pleasure and habit, as they could very well live healthily on a plant based diet.

Exactly, which is why so many Jews are entirely or largely vegetarian.

metis

I did notice kosher is completely fulfilled wi a veggie diet :D (then again, maybe I overlooked sometng)

Yep, it's much easier to keep kosher if you're a vegetarian, and a great many of us do that with this reason in mind. Some others, like myself, sharply restrict their meat intake (my wife has a problem that when we've gone totally vegetarian in the past, her immunity system was noticeably weakened after a while, which can be dangerous at our age).