• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In hunting, Why is Pride any worst than gluttony?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Why does everyone who made that difference between hunting for pleasure of hunting and hunting for pleasure of tasting meat is avoiding the question?

What is the difference? None of them needs to kill the animal, both of them do it for pleasure. One of them involves food, but so what?

I think the difference is on the customs.

The rationale is: Since you are going to eat meat either way, there is nothing wrong on hunting an animal to eat it.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think the difference is on the customs.

The rationale is: Since you are going to eat meat either way, there is nothing wrong on hunting an animal to eat it.

But then how do they demonize hunting for pleasure of hunting iitself?

They dont demonize eating meat for e pleasure of eating meat in itself (most dont at least)

Me Myself

Back to my username
Yep, it's much easier to keep kosher if you're a vegetarian, and a great many of us do that with this reason in mind. Some others, like myself, sharply restrict their meat intake (my wife has a problem that when we've gone totally vegetarian in the past, her immunity system was noticeably weakened after a while, which can be dangerous at our age).

Thats a weird problem. What was she eating if you dont mind me asking?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
But then how do they demonize hunting for pleasure of hunting iitself?

They dont demonize eating meat for e pleasure of eating meat in itself (most dont at least)

Customs, as I have said.

The rationale is: Since you are going to hunt either way, then there is ... oh wait, we don't hunt for pleasure .... That is not a norm in our society so it is immoral to hunt for pleasure.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Customs, as I have said.

The rationale is: Since you are going to hunt either way, then there is ... oh wait, we don't hunt for pleasure .... That is not a norm in our society so it is immoral to hunt for pleasure.

But they do o.o . They hunt for the pleasure of the hunt and en they "justify it" with gastronomical pleasure.

Which is what I dont underatand.

I mean I half way understand it now that you put it that way, but what I dont get is why then would they demonize the hunter that enjoys the hunt but doesnt enjoy the dish?

A head in the living room will be enjoyed decades after the meat had gone out.

In both cases it is equally unecessary,

Koldo

Outstanding Member
But they do o.o . They hunt for the pleasure of the hunt and en they "justify it" with gastronomical pleasure.

I mean I half way understand it now that you put it that way, but what I dont get is why then would they demonize the hunter that enjoys the hunt but doesnt enjoy the dish?

Your question is like asking: What is wrong with men wearing skirts ( in our societies ) ?

There isn't any particular reason other than being against our customs. The same happens on this case. Hunting animals merely for the pleasure of hunting goes against our customs.

Then, we might ask: Why do we have such customs?
Perhaps, on this case, it is because humans have historically made use of meat on a frequent basis to satiate their hunger. The same did not happen to killing animals for fun.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Thats a weird problem. What was she eating if you dont mind me asking?

It actually isn't that unusual at all, especially if one moves into it too quickly. Some of the medical advice I've seen is to move into it over a longer period of time, with one of the medical articles recommending a minimum of six months, and that may have been my wife's problem. Also, my wife is lactose intolerant (she was born and raised in Sicily whereas that's pretty commonplace), so she can only have dairy products at a minimum.

Also, they have found some blood types are more conducive to a vegetarian diet, especially A+, which is what I am, probably due to my Amerindian ancestry.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

What your not seeming to get is eating period for most people has an element of pleasure . Our brains are wired to give a pleasure response. It doesn't matter if its a juicy peach or a juicy pork rib.

Getting pleasure from eating is not the same as getting pleasure from KILLING.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

NO . One is a means to an end ( killing the animal to get the meat) another is getting a thrill out of killing an animal. Even one you are not going to eat .JUST for fun of killing it.

Can you not see the difference?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Motives should be the question. There is a difference between killing to survive and killing for entertainment. Although both instances involve killing, I'm not one to judge any species being required to eat animals to survive, such is life. No harm in promoting the cycle of life so that the death of an animal is not in vain

Me Myself

Back to my username
It actually isn't that unusual at all, especially if one moves into it too quickly. Some of the medical advice I've seen is to move into it over a longer period of time, with one of the medical articles recommending a minimum of six months, and that may have been my wife's problem. Also, my wife is lactose intolerant (she was born and raised in Sicily whereas that's pretty commonplace), so she can only have dairy products at a minimum.

Also, they have found some blood types are more conducive to a vegetarian diet, especially A+, which is what I am, probably due to my Amerindian ancestry.

That's actually a misconception... Doing it gradually has little to do with anything.

Its mostly about what you eat: getting enough vitamin c and protein.

I went veg overnight, 6 months after my blood exams still were picture perfect. The thing is that some people just decide to stop eating meat without really knowing how they are changing their diets, that's why I asked what did she ate.

But its really not important here I believe to talk abut how one does to have the healthy diet. Just that the ADA says that a well done vegetarian diet(¿thats why I asked what was eaten) is a healthy option for all people in all stages of development.

It is also adviced in cancer sites and in Diabetes sites as a very good option for prevention.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Motives should be the question. There is a difference between killing to survive and killing for entertainment. Although both instances involve killing, I'm not one to judge any species being required to eat animals to survive, such is life. No harm in promoting the cycle of life so that the death of an animal is not in vain

Right other animals kill other animals. The goal is survival. Not "look what I killed".

And the whole idea that we get pleasure from eating and comparing it is bogus.Eating is on the very top of a human (and every other animal) need of survival.

Eating food is NOT optional for any animal last I heard. Killing for fun /sport is . I have a different view of each of those types. Regardless if you enjoy eating.

Me Myself

Back to my username
NO . One is a means to an end ( killing the animal to get the meat) another is getting a thrill out of killing an animal. Even one you are not going to eat .JUST for fun of killing it.

Can you not see the difference?

And why does one prefer eat instead of a can of beans?

The ADA says a well planned vegetarian diet is suitable for all people in all stages of life, so we are not talking about survival here.

So if meat is nit necessary for survival, why eat it in the first place?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Right other animals kill other animals. The goal is survival. Not "look what I killed".

I promise you that if a cow ever tries to kill me and it is easier for me to kill it first instead of take off, I promise you I will eat said cow with gusto.

And the whole idea that we get pleasure from eating and comparing it is bogus.Eating is on the very top of a human (and every other animal) need of survival.

Yes, but eating MEAT is not necessary for survival.

So if you are not KILLING for your survival (as you could have bought a veggie meal in the supermarket) why are you killing?

Me Myself

Back to my username
We need fat. Look it up.

So where is the fat source?

We need carbohydrates. Rice and beans have plenty of them.

Also eggs and milk, that dont need to kill any animal.

Hopefully you do see a difference between killing an animal and just taking something it produces daily while you feed and properly take care of hir, yes?

Me Myself

Back to my username
What your not seeming to get is eating period for most people has an element of pleasure . Our brains are wired to give a pleasure response. It doesn't matter if its a juicy peach or a juicy pork rib.

When the only reason you chose to eat what you eat and hunt it was the pleasure of the taste, it is practically the same.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Its mostly about what you eat: getting enough vitamin c and protein.

Are you kidding? Fat is essential and you are leaving out many other vital nutrients besides protein and C.

Vitamin C and protein are not the only nutrients we need "mostly".

As we speak children and grown adults in industrialized countries are becoming d deficient.

We are hiding from the sun.

"Mostly what we need is C and protein" is severely lacking in what the human body needs.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Me Myself,

If humans should not eat meat for gastronomical pleasure, then humans in the olden days shouldn't have applied seasoning or salt or any of that jazz to food. Ever since then, humans have consumed food for gastronomical pleasure.

All those vegetarian and vegan websites that have all those recipes....what do you think they are for? Are they not for making "tasty" dishes? How is that different from eating meat for food, as long as the animal wasn't from a horrid slaughterhouse and was killed "humanely"?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Are you kidding? Fat is essential and you are leaving out many other vital nutrients besides protein and C.

Vitamin C and protein are not the only nutrients we need "mostly".

As we speak children and grown adults in industrialized countries are becoming d deficient.

We are hiding from the sun.

"Mostly what we need is C and protein" is severely lacking in what the human body needs.

Of course it is :facepalm: I was talking about the immune system phenomena he was describing not an actual nutritional plan :facepalm:

If a vegetarian diet couldnt give you all you need, my nutritionist would have told me I was iperfect shape and had a pretty good diet when she asked for blood exams and saw the results of 6. Months veggie diet.

Again, the point is simple: it can be done. When you know how to do it, it is easy.

The only hard part is to change the habit and create a new one.

If you actually have the information (anyone with access to internet and an interest to look it up does) you can do it.

Again, are you debating ADA (American Dietary Association) ?