• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

****ing context please

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
How would you define a killing spree?
Ted Bundy, Dahmer, Wayne Gacy, Columbine etc.

What are you trying to say here? Capital punishment is the State executing someone for breaking the law. If you rape a child, the State might reserve the right to execute you. I fail to see how that is a killing spree. It becomes a genocide when hundreds die for no good reason.

Tumah

Veteran Member
To order to kill him. According to the Book the jury was not sure and asked advise to G-d.
In the case of the wood collector, it already said in Ex. 31:13 that one who transgresses the Sabbath gets death. Moses was just unsure about which of the four types he gets.

Let's cut to the chase. Was it righteous to kill that man because of what he did on the Sabbath?

[yes/no/maybe]

Ciao

- viole
Yeah of course. Haven't I been saying that all along?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
A lady tells her priest "They just legalized marijuana and gay marriage".

The priest responds "That makes sense, because the Bible says if two men sleep together they must be stoned" :p

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Ted Bundy, Dahmer, Wayne Gacy, Columbine etc.

What are you trying to say here? Capital punishment is the State executing someone for breaking the law. If you rape a child, the State might reserve the right to execute you. I fail to see how that is a killing spree. It becomes a genocide when hundreds die for no good reason.
There are also massacres, assassinations, and other state sanctioned killings that amount to killing for no good reason. The state being the state should not be a permission card for it to change the rules as to how the laws regarding the taking of life are applied.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
In the case of the wood collector, it already said in Ex. 31:13 that one who transgresses the Sabbath gets death. Moses was just unsure about which of the four types he gets.

Yeah of course. Haven't I been saying that all along?

Well, I might have missed that.

So, it was righteous to kill a man (by stoning) for collecting branches on the wrong day of the week. (Viole taking notes about the concept of righteousness).

Do you think it would still be righteous today, or does rightheousness depend on circumstances?

By the way, what are those other three execution methods?

Ciao

- viole

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
There are also massacres, assassinations, and other state sanctioned killings that amount to killing for no good reason. The state being the state should not be a permission card for it to change the rules as to how the laws regarding the taking of life are applied.
Of course!

I personally support CP for people like Bundy. Each has his own views on this though.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

I don't get it. I don't know of any state that doesn't have the permission that do things that would be illegal to the common folks.

Acim

Revelation all the time
There's a difference between going on a killing spree and enforcing capital punishment.

With the overriding commandment of "do not kill," I see no difference. But I do see the inconsistency, and how that could lead to justification for killing spree.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Capital punishment is the State executing someone for breaking the law. If you rape a child, the State might reserve the right to execute you. I fail to see how that is a killing spree. It becomes a genocide when hundreds die for no good reason.

What if you didn't do the thing the State says you did, or IOW the State is wrong? Is that not killing spree?

If the State can justify collateral damage (killing people who are not technically enemies), then sure we can justify other killing sprees.

I honestly don't see how it is tough to justify a killing spree IF you agree that the State is okay to murder its own people. Especially pre-meditated killing of its own people. Me, I don't feel any desire to kill anyone. Even a little bit. Being (consistently) Pro-Life and all. But also don't see why it is so hard to see a killing spree by anyone as unjustifiable when State has made killing of own people something that is seen as justifiable.

Tumah

Veteran Member
What is your source for that ?
Talmud, Yoma 28b.

His father was polytheist.
Right. So?

When did Moses study with Amram ?
I'm guessing at some point over the years that he was in Egypt as a child and young adult. By the time he killed the Egyptian, he was already experienced in some form of prophetic vision. His sister was a prophetess from a young age and his father was the leader of the generation. He seemed to be allowed out of the palace and knew that he was an Israelite as well. So it seems the most likely possibility. Although I guess its also possible he had studied under Bithiah. I don't really know.

Acim

Revelation all the time
It says 'You shall not murder."

It also says (in some sources) you shall not kill. The idea that we have two words, with same result, but different intent, means we get to play god on matters of life and death. Murder being "unlawful" but then only some people, who may not be godly (even a little bit) get to decide which of their killings are lawful and which aren't. Such that abortion is not murder, since it is 'lawful.'

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
What if you didn't do the thing the State says you did, or IOW the State is wrong? Is that not killing spree?

No. It's an accident.
If the State can justify collateral damage (killing people who are not technically enemies), then sure we can justify other killing sprees.

I honestly don't see how it is tough to justify a killing spree IF you agree that the State is okay to murder its own people. Especially pre-meditated killing of its own people. Me, I don't feel any desire to kill anyone. Even a little bit. Being (consistently) Pro-Life and all. But also don't see why it is so hard to see a killing spree by anyone as unjustifiable when State has made killing of own people something that is seen as justifiable.

Yes. If the State executed 200 convicted child rapist -cum -killers, then no that's not a killing spree.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
It also says (in some sources) you shall not kill. The idea that we have two words, with same result, but different intent, means we get to play god on matters of life and death. Murder being "unlawful" but then only some people, who may not be godly (even a little bit) get to decide which of their killings are lawful and which aren't. Such that abortion is not murder, since it is 'lawful.'
Nope, it says murder.

Acim

Revelation all the time
No. It's an accident.

Such feeble logic. All killing sprees could be relegate to 'accident' under such logic.

Yes. If the State executed 200 convicted child rapist -cum -killers, then no that's not a killing spree.

And if killer executes people that killer views as violating (literally anything) it is not a killing spree. It's just punishment, not killing.