• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Irony of the evolutionary belief

cladking

but there are dumb people galore.

Dumb is what people do. We misthink things.

Stupid is misthinking things when starting with inane premises and then refusing to listen. Many people are rarely if ever clever but even the slowest witted can still come up with good ideas and right answers if they don't misthink.

There's no such thing as "intelligence" as we define it but dumb and stupid run rampant.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
A Unabomber style shack maybe?
Hey, just a little place to write your manifesto. I wrote mine in a cabin in the woods. I wrong Manifesto II, The Revenge in a Motel 6.

I read threads like this and wonder, how can anyone have an opinion about science when they present these totally nonsensical straw man versions of science that advertise to me "I have no idea what I'm talking about when I reject this science."?

It's the same old chess game.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
The beauty of the Universe and everything that exists on our planet shows that there is a very wise and powerful Creator.

If you came across a house in the middle of a desert, would you believe that it was made by itself as a result of sand storms that occurred over millions of years? :oops:

Our planet is like a house in the middle of a space desert. It has drinking water, electricity, heating, air conditioning, pantries stocked with all kinds of food, indirect music, gardens that no one bothered to cultivate, works of art in every corner, ... and even rugs to walk on. If a house in the middle of a dessert won't form itself out of sandstorms it is less likely than our planet has emerged out of a chaotic explosion. Think on it ;).
We would recognize it as a human construction. But it is a non sequitur to claim it is evidence of an intelligence there is no evidence for.

Never mind. Why bother. You aren't really interested and you don't really know enough science from what I've seen to even scoff rationally about something.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
How?

What about the ugly stuff, what does that show? Why are we ignoring that?

Well, no. Because I already know that people design and build houses and that houses don't design and build themselves. And if I didn't know that? I could do some research and find the blueprints for that home that I human being drew up. I could look up and good find the human beings that were involved in building that house. IN other words, there is a ton of evidence indicating how the house was built. I could also look to find if there is anything in nature that is capable of producing houses such as the one I've found.

Secondly, houses aren't biological organisms that can reproduce themselves. So it's not a great analogy to evolution.

And thirdly, your argument doesn't really work, because according to you, everything is designed. The trees, the grass, houses, the universe, etc. And one of the main ways we determine that things we know are designed by humans (e.g. an igloo) is by comparing them to things that we know are naturally occurring (e.g. Icebergs). But since you believe everything is designed, you've got no foundation for comparison.

Claims of probability require some kind of statistical calculation. I see claims of "this is less likely than this" but I don't see any math anywhere so I can verify those claims.
That is a good point. What about the ugly stuff? What does it show. I'm sure that some convoluted, poorly informed tale can be woven to address it, but those contrivances often stand on contradictions, poor information, wishful thinking and poor logic.

I had some graphic examples that came to mind to post, but I thought better than including them in my response to you. I think we can all come up with plenty of examples of horrible, very ugly things.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
That is a good point. What about the ugly stuff? What does it show. I'm sure that some convoluted, poorly informed tale can be woven to address it, but those contrivances often stand on contradictions, poor information, wishful thinking and poor logic.

I had some graphic examples that came to mind to post, but I thought better than including them in my response to you. I think we can all come up with plenty of examples of horrible, very ugly things.
Never did understand why so many people will give god credit for everything, then turn right around and jerk the credit away for the things that they think make said god look bad.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Never did understand why so many people will give god credit for everything, then turn right around and jerk the credit away for the things that they think make said god look bad.
It is an interesting contradiction, but some people are chock full of contradictions and don't even recognize they are.

As a believer, it is a dilemma that confounds me. I was going to say at times, but it is constant. I'm actually angered when I hear someone say that the lone survivor of an accident that took out the rest of the family was being watched out for by God, when God let them go through that Hell on Earth in the first place. It really is just something people say I think, when they haven't got anything else and feel they need to throw in their 2 cents.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Hey, just a little place to write your manifesto. I wrote mine in a cabin in the woods. I wrong Manifesto II, The Revenge in a Motel 6.

I read threads like this and wonder, how can anyone have an opinion about science when they present these totally nonsensical straw man versions of science that advertise to me "I have no idea what I'm talking about when I reject this science."?

It's the same old chess game.

I have the breakfast manifesto, the lunch manifesto and the dinner manifesto. I'm thinking of compiling a snack manifesto.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I have the breakfast manifesto, the lunch manifesto and the dinner manifesto. I'm thinking of compiling a snack manifesto.
Aw man! I don't have any of those. Now I gotta go back out to the cabin and start writing more.

My breakfast manifesto is going to include plenty of bacon.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Aw man! I don't have any of those. Now I gotta go back out to the cabin and start writing more.

My breakfast manifesto is going to include plenty of bacon.
personally, I do not worry about menus.
I tend to go to the diner up the street, and yes it is UP the street cause every time it rains, the water runs down the street from the diner towards my place.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
personally, I do not worry about menus.
I tend to go to the diner up the street, and yes it is UP the street cause every time it rains, the water runs down the street from the diner towards my place.
You're taking the environment into account here. Have seen the other thread where we find that the environment isn't supposed to be on the menu?

I'm pretty particular about my manifestos, but I accept your stream theory and amenuist agenda and will consider it as I write all of this up.