• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America a Police state?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't know where you get this from, we carried plenty of it when I was in Iraq.
Tear gas is banned by the Geneva Convention. (Roman statute 1998 most recent addum I think) Of course, im not suprised at all by your statement. I will take your word that CS was supplied and even used. We signed but never ratified. Slick. Huh? But war is war. There are no real rules.

Geneva ProtocolProtocol for the Prohibition of the Use in War of Asphyxiating, Poisonous or other Gases, and of Bacteriological Methods of WarfareDrafted17 June 1925[1]Signed17 June 1925[1]LocationGeneva[1]Effective8 February 1928[1]ConditionRatification by 65 states[2]Signatories38[1]Parties138[3]DepositaryGovernment of France[1]*Geneva Protocol to Hague Convention*atWikisource

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

I kind of wonder what would have happened if the scenario with Bundy the rancher was duplicated in Ferguson?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
More rioting and looting last night in Ferguson. But things got REALLY WEIRD that the police were told to stand down as businesses were being looted. More of Brown's family had arrived to grieve with the parents and the residents, but instead of privately gathering around to remember him, they are all still going out to help clean up what the looters and rioters did.

The protestors were out there blocking the looters best they could. More people got hurt. :(

But hey, thanks for the advice on how to somehow get through being tear-gassed, Apex. A lot of people have been unaware of what to do and have been knocked down flat.

So, militarized police throws concussion grenades at peaceful protestors, tear-gas at journalists and state senators, arrests local aldermen, more tear-gas onto the lawns of peoples residences, arrests reporters in fast food joints for taking too long to leave....but won't move a muscle when looters will head into the stores and markets and steals things? Right under their noses?

What the ever-living ****?

averageJOE

zombie
Tear gas is banned by the Geneva Convention. (Roman statute 1998 most recent addum I think) Of course, im not suprised at all by your statement. I will take your word that CS was supplied and even used. We signed but never ratified. Slick. Huh? But war is war. There are no real rules.

True it is banned for warfare (for whatever dumb reason). But it's about reading between the lines for the military. I'm an MP (military police). When Obama took office the first thing he did was order all combat forces off the streets of Iraq. Technically, MP's are not a combat force. So we still patrolled the streets everyday, as a police force, which is why we were able to carry CS gas, though we never used it. And we still carried enough firepower to level any town we entered.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The dangerous thing is that this is business as usual.
- The cops treated it as another day at the office, with a jocular banter & no awareness of the effect they had on the perps....er....innocent citizens.
- The officials believe that this is normal procedure for executing a search warrant.

It seems that neighborhoods will need monitoring devices/people/agencies at their
perimeter to warn of police attacks. This would allow residents to move to safe
rooms, or at least open doors so cops don't break them & throw in grenades.

That old black gal & her daughter sure looked dangerous, eh?
The cops did what they did "for our safety".

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I kind of wonder what would have happened if the scenario with Bundy the rancher was duplicated in Ferguson?

Interesting how none of the "good guys with guns" never made their way to Ferguson like they did at the Bundy ranch...you... know no one out their fighting along the little guy bashing the tyranny of big government, jack booted thugs and all that....I wonder why not.....:shrug:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Interesting how none of the "good guys with guns" never made their way to Ferguson like they did at the Bundy ranch...you... know no one out their fighting along the little guy bashing the tyranny of big government, jack booted thugs and all that....I wonder why not.....:shrug:
Actually, in the news I did see guys with guns protecting businesses.
So far, their behavior has been better than what I've seen from some cops.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Compared to Germany and the UK, American cops are straight up trigger happy.
http://www.theweek.co.uk/crime/46907/us-police-fire-more-bullets-month-germans-use-year
GERMAN POLICE fired just 85 bullets in the course of duty across the whole of 2011, according to astonishing figures reported in the newspaper Der Spiegel.
Of those rounds used, 49 were not even discharged at a suspect, being fired as warning shots. Of the remaining 36, 15 resulted in injuries and six led to fatalities.
British police come out of the comparison well. Last year only two people were shot dead by police in England and Wales, while the country's largest force, the Metropolitan Police, fired just six shots in the 2009-10 figures.

However, the figures for American police paint an altogether bleaker picture. While there are no nationwide figures compiled for firearms usage across the various police forces in the US, individual reports show single incidents when more bullets were fired than in the entire German year.
Russia Today (rather gleefully) reports how in Los Angeles in April 2012 LAPD officers unloaded more than 90 shots in an incident that led to the death of a 19-year-old man, and in the same month New York police fired at a suspected murderer 84 times.
But perhaps shootings aren’t the worst risk in the US. Amnesty International estimates that more than 500 people have been killed by police using supposedly 'non-lethal' Tasers since 2001. ·

raw_thought

Yes!!!
Considering that we no longer have a right to a trial, that torture is legal and that privacy no longer exists, its obvious that we are no longer have/believe in liberty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8J_lcHwkvc
Like Maddow, I voted for Obama. But unlike fox "news" we acknowledge grotesque errors in our camp. Romney was/is for indefinite detention and so I voted for the lesser of two evils.
Amendments IV, V, VI,VII and VII in the Bill of Rights no longer exist in a meaningful way.
http://www.ratical.org/co-globalize/BillOfRights.html

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Do as the police do...get body armor or a make shift shield I guess.
In New York the mere possession of body armor is a crime and will get you arrested and imprisoned. A class E felony if i remember if used for crime or a past felony record.

Last edited: