• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America a Police state?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
In New York the mere possession of body armor is a crime and will get you arrested and imprisoned. A class E felony if i remember if used for crime or a past felony record.

I know. I meant in the legal sense if at all possible. All my weapons, accessories and apparel were obtained legally and are legal in my state. Yeah body armor is off limits. Laws have been and are being passed making it so mostly law enforcement has them....:(

y

freethinker44

Man who prompted Cal State San Marcos lockdown talks to 10News - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

policestate.jpg

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
2 weeks in. I wish I didn't have visions of police with guns up pointing.

Stress relief is requested. Bacon. Sex. Massage. Hot showers. All of the above. Self-care might do me good.

Jeez, how do people live in areas year after year where there is endless tear gas and facing tanks? Year after year after year...

Looks like both my friends are going to pull through. It's a short victory. So we have that going. I just hate how everybody is going through some acute and intense PTSD, though. It affects sleep, how the mind works. Ugh.

Anyone have bacon they wanna share?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Black TV Producer Mistaken for Bank Robber: Beverly Hills PD 'Deeply Regrets' Error - TheWrap
“WHAT I DON'T GET, is, why, during the 45 minutes that they had me on the curb, handcuffed in the sun, before they locked me up and took away my civil rights, that they could not simply review the ATM and bank's HD video footage to clearly see that the ‘tall, bald headed, black male’ … did not fit MY description,” Belk wrote on Facebook.
In his lengthy Facebook post, Belk went on to say that he had never been to, or heard of, the Citibank branch that was robbed. Belk also cautioned that his experience underscored the need for change in how law enforcement conducts itself.
“If something like this can happen to ME, it can certainly happen to ANYONE!” Belk finished his post. “Time has come for a change in the way OUR law enforcement officers ‘serve and protect’ us. We all do not, FIT THE DESCRIPTION.”
Aside from the strong possibility of racism, this sounds like standard illegal treatment by cops.
If the "perp's" account is correct, will the arresting cops be prosecuted, fired, or even put on paid vacation?
I doubt it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Jeez, how do people live in areas year after year where there is endless tear gas and facing tanks? Year after year after year...

First off, they end up with a distorted view of reality. Adjusting back from that to 'normal' can be quite traumatic in itself.
Second, they get messed up. No-one survives in those sort of environments without damage to some degree.

Anywhoos, once you've finished making sweet love to the bacon sandwich, you should really have a lie down, and something to eat.
Take care.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
First off, they end up with a distorted view of reality. Adjusting back from that to 'normal' can be quite traumatic in itself.
Second, they get messed up. No-one survives in those sort of environments without damage to some degree.

Damn it.

Another set of battle scars, I guess. *sigh*

Anywhoos, once you've finished making sweet love to the bacon sandwich, you should really have a lie down, and something to eat.
Take care.

Thanks. We have sometimes felt like relaxing is luxury we can't afford. I liked relaxing more than once a blue moon. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
In New York the mere possession of body armor is a crime and will get you arrested and imprisoned. A class E felony if i remember if used for crime or a past felony record.

Nah...... If you have a criminal record.... sure!

New York - Body Armor Law
New York - Body Armor Law
In New York, any adult can purchase and use a bulletproof vest, unless that adult has been convicted of a felony. Bulletproof vests and all other body armor can be purchased online or face-to-face.

USA? Nah...
"The Unites States allows the use of Body Armor legally by any one except by those who have been convicted of violent felony. Most of the US states have heavy penalties for use of Body Armor by convicted felons. Even possession of Body Armor by convicted felon is not allowed. However some states like Kentucky, does not prohibit the possession of Body Armor by any convicted felon but have rules which prevent the grant of parole or probation if a person has been convicted committing crimes while wearing Body Armor and using lethal weapons." http://www.articlepool.com/legality+of+a...

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
VIDEO: Journalist Roughed Up And Removed From Georgia GOP Event
he journalist was Nydia Tisdale, who went to Burt's Farm in Dawsonville, Georgia, to record video of speeches by David Perdue, the state's GOP nominee for U.S. Senate, as well as Gov. Nathan Deal (R) and others. Tisdale runs the website AboutForsyth.com.

Tisdale captured most of the Aug. 23 confrontation on video, which she has since posted to YouTube.

In the video, Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens could be seen giving a speech when he criticized the debate performance of the state's Democratic nominee for U.S. Senate, Michelle Nunn.

"I thought I was going to absolutely puke," Hudgens said, which sparked laughter from the crowd.

Hudgens could then be seen in the video directing his attention toward Tisdale.

"I don't know why you're videotaping," Hudgens said to the journalist.

About 10 minutes later in the video, a hand aggressively blocked Tisdale's camera. The footage showed her being pushed out of the building and into an adjacent one. It was unclear who pushed her, but at some point a Dawson County sheriff's official appeared in the video.

Tisdale asked the official if she could get her purse to give him her identification.

"Nope, you're going to jail," the officer said in the video.

"I've been real nice, now you're going to jail for resisting arrest if you do not stop," the official said. By then, the sheriff's official had Tisdale with her hands behind her back pressed against a desk. He never identified himself in the video. Another man could be heard saying, "Will you please stop ma'am? We've asked you multiple times."

Dawson County Republican Party Chairwoman Linda Clary Umberger followed the official and Tisdale. In the video she was heard saying to Tisdale: "I am sorry that people are treating you this way. This is wrong."

The video ended with Tisdale face-down, saying that she had been given permission to tape the event.

WOW....Even the Dawson County Republican Chairman was upset at this sheriff's blatant violation of this journalist's 1Amendment right. She had permission to be there and had explain to the owner what she would be doing. It wasn't until someone stuck their foot in their mouth is when the officer proceeded to push her trying to get her to turn her camera off. She was slammed up against a table, cuffed and arrested. The officer was cleared of any wrong doing in a matter of two days of investigations of course.

bluegoo300

The facts machine
Being a police officer myself i have no problem with wearing a camera on me nor do i have a problem with people recording me so long as it does not cause problems for me such as if a need to arrest the person for something and they refuse to put the camera down. Would anyone have an idea on how to arrest someone if the refuse to put it down. Second i find it highly disturbing what some police officers are doing now days and i fill that a rage test should be mandatory for any police officers joining the force. Because i don’t think some cops can handle stressful situations.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Being a police officer myself i have no problem with wearing a camera on me nor do i have a problem with people recording me so long as it does not cause problems for me such as if a need to arrest the person for something and they refuse to put the camera down. Would anyone have an idea on how to arrest someone if the refuse to put it down. Second i find it highly disturbing what some police officers are doing now days and i fill that a rage test should be mandatory for any police officers joining the force. Because i don’t think some cops can handle stressful situations.

I advocate for recording eye ware preferably with wifi link to a cloud hard drive. I think police need some serious psychological counseling. I'm sure we can throw in some anger management counseling as well. For the most part police are a benefit to communities and our society...it's just we need to make sure we're doing our part holding them accountable. As a public school employee I work with officers daily and while many of them have some rough exteriors a lot of them are approachable and easy to get along with...but they're human like the rest of us with issues and skeletons in their own closets....instead of leaving them there many bring them to work with them. And as far as police cameras...I'm for it. The officers I work with wear them. I was recently helping a school resource officer upload his videos the other day....We joked because I told him I have to do the same thing when I record police... :D

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There are studies I hear by which it was found that police brutality correlates with the level of education that is required to become a police officer. I dunno the entrance requirements for Fergerson are, but it was a bit of a shock to discover that a number of police depts require only a high school diploma in addition to academy training. In my immediate area, to be a police officer, it would require a college degree in Criminal Justice or equivalent to be eligible.

Delta-9

We as citizens have collectively given the police power that no other citizen wields, both physically and mentally. With such immense power there needs to be accountability, specifically to the American people.

Therefore I propose a federal law that guarantees citizens the right to record the police while on duty. In addition all police cars should have dash cams that are illegal for the police to turn off or otherwise tamper with while on patrol or responding to a call.

We are not a police state, but the system is broken.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We as citizens have collectively given the police power that no other citizen wields, both physically and mentally. With such immense power there needs to be accountability, specifically to the American people.

Therefore I propose a federal law that guarantees citizens the right to record the police while on duty. In addition all police cars should have dash cams that are illegal for the police to turn off or otherwise tamper with while on patrol or responding to a call.

We are not a police state, but the system is broken.
The law would need teeth, ie severe penalties for misconduct & covering it up.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Opps...just look what happened... Blurry pixalated images, system was down, lost the video feed.........

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There are studies I hear by which it was found that police brutality correlates with the level of education that is required to become a police officer. I dunno the entrance requirements for Fergerson are, but it was a bit of a shock to discover that a number of police depts require only a high school diploma in addition to academy training. In my immediate area, to be a police officer, it would require a college degree in Criminal Justice or equivalent to be eligible.

Not in Australia. I went through the entrance process in my youth.

1. High school diploma
2. Sit an entrance exam
3. Interview at local station for suitability
4. Physical
5. Interview with review board (central for the state)

At least, that's how it used to work. Think it's still very similar to that here.
The exam wasn't exactly brain surgery.
Passed my interview, but it was suggested to me that I scored a little higher than they generally liked to see, since smart people don't generally follow orders very well...ahem...

bluegoo300

The facts machine
I advocate for recording eye ware preferably with wifi link to a cloud hard drive. I think police need some serious psychological counseling. I'm sure we can throw in some anger management counseling as well. For the most part police are a benefit to communities and our society...it's just we need to make sure we're doing our part holding them accountable. As a public school employee I work with officers daily and while many of them have some rough exteriors a lot of them are approachable and easy to get along with...but they're human like the rest of us with issues and skeletons in their own closets....instead of leaving them there many bring them to work with them. And as far as police cameras...I'm for it. The officers I work with wear them. I was recently helping a school resource officer upload his videos the other day....We joked because I told him I have to do the same thing when I record police... :D

haha i agree with you 100% it can be tough if someone gets under you skin but the main thing is to stay calm.