• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Haha.....there is not difficult question...the thread title asks the question..

You say you are a Christian, and yet many Christians don't share your judgemental attitude towards gays. So it's valid to challenge your views in a thread like this.

It's valid to observe that the 10 commandments don't mention homosexuality. It's valid to observe that the Bible condemns lots of things, including shellfish, so you are cherry-picking to suit your own preferences, It's valid to observe that your judgemental attitudes are contrary to the spirit of Christ's teachings, as conveyed by sayings like these: "Do unto others as you would have them do to you", "Don't judge or you will be judged", "Love your neighbours as yourself".
It's also valid to observe that you are causing harm by propagating prejudice.

Rick O'Shez

Most Monotheistic religions need enemies in order to survive. In Christianity it's the homos and Pagans, wouldn't doubt others but those two stand out.

It's worth observing that not all Christian sects promote these divisive and regressive views. For example in the UK the Quakers supported the introduction of gay marriage.

Rick O'Shez

Just keep in mind he has to follow the views of gheyness being a sin because it's in his religion.

But he doesn't, and not all Christians hold these prejudiced views. All a Christian really has to do is follow the 10 commandments the best they can and try to act in a Christlike manner.

Kori

Dark Valkyrie...what's not to love?
It's worth observing that not all Christian sects promote these divisive and regressive views. For example in the UK the Quakers supported the introduction of gay marriage.

I'm talking about the Religion in general and historically. Keep in mind tolerance is a very new idea, considering how old Christianity is, to a lot of Christians.

Kori

Dark Valkyrie...what's not to love?
But he doesn't, and not all Christians hold these prejudiced views. All a Christian really has to do is follow the 10 commandments the best they can and try to act in a Christlike manner.

Not only does the Ten Commandments show and or prove, depend on one's view of the Bible, God is flawed because of the admission of jealousy but isn't the punishment for breaking any one of them death? Some of them are not even crimes and some of the others are not crimes that should carry the death penalty.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
My bias comes from decades of study of this material. I have looked at Paulian dogma for a very long time and nothing that he wrote fits in with what Christ would have taught, or at least very little. And I am getting tired of the insults about my sexual orientation. I will report you if you keep it up as it is against forum rules to insult someone based on race, gender, orientation, etc.
Dear Jo.....my understanding comes from decades of study of the bible also.... and there was no intention to insult you on your sexual orientation.. What is clear at this stage is that this exchange has gone on far too long.....we were discussing Paul in my post Monday at 7:32 PM#2348... where I offered for us to agree to disagree so it could be brought to an end, but you elected to ignore it and carried on. Now due to the obvious unintended distress our continued exchange on this subject is causing you, regardless of whether you accept or not, I accept your position of disagreement with my position and I have nothing more to say to you...

http://www.religiousforums.com/thre...to-your-religion.166123/page-118#post-4625930

Rick O'Shez

Keep in mind tolerance is a very new idea, considering how old Christianity is, to a lot of Christians.

You're probably right, but it's a sad state of affairs when you consider that love, tolerance and acceptance was a central theme in Christ's teaching.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
but what is in the bible is my business and so I do not deny what I know for the sake of avoiding smears on my character...
It should be. But when you do things like condemning homosexuals and trying to prevent them from getting married, you make other people's business. And when you make it someone elses business, then you had best be ready to have every last horrible and terrible thing the Bible contains offered to refute the alleged moral superiority of the Bible.

lostwanderingsoul

Relevance is that people say it is OK to be gay because they are born that way. So maybe it is OK to be a mass murderer because they are also born that way. Relevant enough?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Relevance is that people say it is OK to be gay because they are born that way. So maybe it is OK to be a mass murderer because they are also born that way. Relevant enough?
Uh, no. Still not relevant. Murdering has victims. It affects others in an extremely negative way. Homosexuality has no victims. It does not affect you in any negative way. You could compare being born homosexual to being born left handed maybe. Something about you that is different from most people but has no bearing upon them. Unless you'd like to compare being born left handed to being a mass murderer. Go ahead. Try that comparison. I'll wait.

lostwanderingsoul

We are talking about right and wrong not if there is a victim or not. God says murder is wrong but He also says homosexuality is wrong. Of course those who do not believe in God will not accept this arguement but that still does not make it right. God says sleeping with your neighbor's wife is wrong but if both parties agree to do it there is no victim. Being right or wrong involves more than just if there is a victim. And the point is if you can be born gay then you can be born a murderer so we should not put murderers in jail because they cannot control themselves, they are born that way. Maybe they should learn to control themselves and not kill people and maybe homosexuals should control themselves and not have sex with people of the same sex.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
God says sleeping with your neighbor's wife is wrong but if both parties agree to do it there is no victim.
Obviously there is a victim, some who is harmed in this situation: Your neighbor's wife's husband/wife.
And the point is if you can be born gay then you can be born a murderer so we should not put murderers in jail because they cannot control themselves, they are born that way.
That is a red herring because murderers are a danger to public safety and well being, they kill people, they hurt people, they have victims. Homosexuals pose no danger to public safety, they do not harm anyone, they do not have victims. The two simply are not comparable in such a way.
maybe homosexuals should control themselves and not have sex with people of the same sex.
Who else are they going to have sex with? They are not sexually attracted to someone of the opposite sex, so then with whom are they to have sex with? And why should they avoid having sex with people of the same sex because your own personal religious interpretation and dogma says it's wrong?

Draka

Wonder Woman
We are talking about right and wrong not if there is a victim or not.
Right and wrong are subjective for the most part and is usually determined by things like whether something inflicts intentional harm or whether something is done with good intention behind it. So, most often, whether something is right or wrong does depend on if there is a victim.

God says murder is wrong but He also says homosexuality is wrong. Of course those who do not believe in God will not accept this arguement but that still does not make it right.
It does not make it wrong though either. And those whom do not accept your version of deity have no reason in the world to abide by its arbitrary rules made up by man.

God says sleeping with your neighbor's wife is wrong but if both parties agree to do it there is no victim. Being right or wrong involves more than just if there is a victim
Not really. Again, right and wrong, morals themselves, are subjective. What may be okay for one may not be for another and for most everyone, if a victim comes into the equation, it is considered wrong. If what you are doing harms no one, then do what you will, it is your life to live in the long run. Not anyone else's.

And the point is if you can be born gay then you can be born a murderer so we should not put murderers in jail because they cannot control themselves, they are born that way. Maybe they should learn to control themselves and not kill people and maybe homosexuals should control themselves and not have sex with people of the same sex.
By the same token, people who are born left handed should be forced to use their right hand only, like it use to be done. Correct? It shouldn't matter if that was the way they were born, they should learn to control themselves, right? Of course, the fact that left handed people writing their grocery lists with their left hand has absolutely no effect upon you makes no difference. Just like Julie cuddling on her couch with Christine has no effect upon you either. But you'd prefer they just stop doing things that come naturally to them because, hey, it's not the norm. Who cares that those things hurt no one in the world? Right? :rolleyes:

lostwanderingsoul

The title of the post is "is being gay a sin according to your religion". Most of the people answering seem to have have little or no religion or some religion they invented. The major religions have different ideas from these self made religions.

Draka

Wonder Woman
The title of the post is "is being gay a sin according to your religion". Most of the people answering seem to have have little or no religion or some religion they invented. The major religions have different ideas from these self made religions.
Actually, it is just about only particular interpretations of certain monotheistic religions which have issues with homosexuality. Most religions in the world, as a whole, do not.