• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
My late cousin was a Quaker. It is one of the most lovely faiths I have researched. His funeral was so beautiful. No sadness, no regret...just love and peace.

Yes, Quakers are lovely, very kind and accepting, and from what I've seen much closer to the spirit of Christ's teachings than many of the mainstream Christian groups.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
What is ridiculous is the audacity of an atheist to make a judgement call on who or what is spiritual....:)

How is it ridiculous? There are many religious and spiritual paths which don't involve your monotheistic Abrahamic God. It seems that you simply can't cope with diversity and plurality. You are full of judgement and resentment about those with different views. You talk down to people, laugh at them, liken them to pigs. If that's your idea of being "spiritual" then I want nothing to do with it.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Everyone has a spiritual basis to their existence.....animals included....but atheists who deny this fact ....and who feel their proper purpose in life is to continuously attack those who do believe, are are not considered to be spiritual. That is all, it is not about whether a person is enjoying life and nature or not.. A spiritual atheist is an oxymoron!!!
How do you define "spiritual?"

I happen to know a few nonbelievers who would consider themselves spiritual in some way. Who are you to tell them they're not?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Well I have my own subjective proof....when I had dropped away from the path earlier on in my life...I definitely become more selfish and less moral and as a result...my life was beset with serious difficulties..

Life is for a short time...what we do with it determines out future beyond death of the body... Each soul will reap the karma of our life's actions...good or bad...into the next life...reincarnation and karma are a part of one continuous journey....until one's last life in which the errors of understanding have been corrected and the requirement to reincarnate is no more... This life will be the last life for some, but certainly not for those who seek carnal enjoyment as a way of life...
You have subjective proof of how you behave when you "drop away from the path" where you become selfish and less moral.
That says nothing about anyone else.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Expressing anger at those who live by the sexual moral code of the Abrahamic religion....
Bigotry is bigotry, and discrimination is discrimination, no matter how it is dressed up or justified.

If your religion encouraged racism, would you also be racist? Or sexist? There is really no difference, it's all just bigotry and discrimination, horrible immature judgemental stuff.
And very un-spiritual.
Says an atheist.....
1rof1ROFL_zps05e59ced.gif
Says a theist too. To show hate, bigotry, disgust, condemnation towards another is an extremely un-spiritual thing. Very juvenile and ignorant. For that matter, the sexual moral code of the Abrahamic religions is very juvenile and immature and ignorant. It is not enlightened, not spiritual, not transcending anything. It is vile, primitive, judgmental and completely out of touch with reality and spirituality both. If you don't understand that much then I have an extremely difficult time believing you are, in any way, as "spiritual" and working towards any "transcendence" as you try to portray yourself to be. You are not any real authority here. You are only proving how much you don't know.

Yes Jo....I understand all those things.... All religions are true...but like grades at school....they are not all at the same level...
Again with the superior attitude. Extremely patronising.
Just an atheist's personal opinion....
And, again, a theist's as well. That was patronizing, that did show a superior attitude. What it also showed was a lack of understanding as well. The fact that you somehow place Christianity and Abrahamic religions in general as somehow more spiritually advanced than other religions, when it is quite obvious they are quite ignorant in many things, shows a lack of education about other paths. You shouldn't speak about that which you do not know. Stop trying to pass yourself off as some expert and looking down upon atheists and others, you are no expert.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
What is ridiculous is the audacity of an atheist to make a judgement call on who or what is spiritual....:)
What is ridiculous is that you don't realize your own statement applies to yourself. On what grounds to you have the privilege to define what is spiritual while stating that someone who follows a different spiritual path than you does not?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
How is it ridiculous? There are many religious and spiritual paths which don't involve your monotheistic Abrahamic God. It seems that you simply can't cope with diversity and plurality. You are full of judgement and resentment about those with different views. You talk down to people, laugh at them, liken them to pigs. If that's your idea of being "spiritual" then I want nothing to do with it.
Because a spiritual atheist is an oxymoron....like a honest liar....a loving murderer....etc....

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
How do you define "spiritual?"

I happen to know a few nonbelievers who would consider themselves spiritual in some way. Who are you to tell them they're not?
I have done so on many occasions...you should read the thread....spiritual is a concept that represents a state of reality that is not of this world...a state of transcendence...

I know a lot of people who claim they are good people, but I know they are not...

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Says a theist too. To show hate, bigotry, disgust, condemnation towards another is an extremely un-spiritual thing. Very juvenile and ignorant. For that matter, the sexual moral code of the Abrahamic religions is very juvenile and immature and ignorant. It is not enlightened, not spiritual, not transcending anything. It is vile, primitive, judgmental and completely out of touch with reality and spirituality both. If you don't understand that much then I have an extremely difficult time believing you are, in any way, as "spiritual" and working towards any "transcendence" as you try to portray yourself to be. You are not any real authority here. You are only proving how much you don't know.

And, again, a theist's as well. That was patronizing, that did show a superior attitude. What it also showed was a lack of understanding as well. The fact that you somehow place Christianity and Abrahamic religions in general as somehow more spiritually advanced than other religions, when it is quite obvious they are quite ignorant in many things, shows a lack of education about other paths. You shouldn't speak about that which you do not know. Stop trying to pass yourself off as some expert and looking down upon atheists and others, you are no expert.
Wow....you should learn to contain your anger... So you call yourself spiritual....so what is it like when you are out of body?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
What is ridiculous is that you don't realize your own statement applies to yourself. On what grounds to you have the privilege to define what is spiritual while stating that someone who follows a different spiritual path than you does not?
Hmmm...so you think I am an atheist....haha

Draka

Wonder Woman
Wow....you should learn to contain your anger... So you call yourself spiritual....so what is it like when you are out of body?
See? Now you accuse me of being angry in order to reject what I have said. Any way you find to disregard what others say that disagree with you huh? Not angry, just call them as I see them. I'm blunt. Don't confuse that with angry. Have nothing to be angry about as you don't mean anything to me.

What does your inability to converse with people cordially have to do with my OBEs? And what does what an OBE feels like have to do with someone being spiritual? Stop trying to judge others and try to recognize you do not have all the answers and can learn from others, even atheists.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

Although I agree that @ben d is out of line here, you're not likely to be winning over anyone to your side of the argument by expressing such blanket negativity at the religions of billions of people. You're coming off as more than a bit hypocritical.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
See? Now you accuse me of being angry in order to reject what I have said. Any way you find to disregard what others say that disagree with you huh? Not angry, just call them as I see them. I'm blunt. Don't confuse that with angry. Have nothing to be angry about as you don't mean anything to me.

What does your inability to converse with people cordially have to do with my OBEs? And what does what an OBE feels like have to do with someone being spiritual? Stop trying to judge others and try to recognize you do not have all the answers and can learn from others, even atheists.
I am so glad that you are not angry with me...:)

To leave the body means to expand one's awareness to the spirit which is resonating within and without the body and move that awareness beyond the body.... Iow, the individual is now in the spiritual mode of being....

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Although I agree that @ben d is out of line here, you're not likely to be winning over anyone to your side of the argument by expressing such blanket negativity at the religions of billions of people. You're coming off as more than a bit hypocritical.
So please tell me from the Catholic perspective....exactly what it is I've said that you find out of line?

Draka

Wonder Woman
I am so glad that you are not angry with me...:)

To leave the body means to expand one's awareness to the spirit which is resonating within and without the body and move that awareness beyond the body.... Iow, the individual is now in the spiritual mode of being....
I know what astral projecting is, what I don't know is what it has to do with you being judgmental and dismissive of others.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Well, the sexual views are primitive and immature. You want me to say they aren't to appease people who use those views to validate hatred and bigotry? Nope, sorry, no can do.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I know what astral projecting is, what I don't know is what it has to do with you being judgmental and dismissive of others.
I am not being judgmental.....I am be faithful to Abrahamic religious scripture... You are free to disagree with the scripture and thus with me to honor it...but that does not change the fact of what the bible has to say on the matter... As for the claim that atheists can be spiritual....that has drifted off topic but suffice to say that my own understanding of what spirituality implies...is not the same as those who think that a spiritual atheist is not a oxymoron think...