• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I do not see him trying to force his beliefs on you or anyone. He is expressing his opinions, yes, which I disagree with of course. I do not see him forcing anyone to believe as he does and wonder how it would be that he could force anyone.
Well he better not, cause I will be there lol.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
No. I didn't say or imply that. I asked you on what grounds do you stand that allows you do define spiritual, and decide whom the word applies to or not?
On logical grounds.. based on my own understanding of spirit....but the dictionary meaning is acceptable....

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/spiritual

spir·i·tu·al
(spĭr′ĭ-cho͞o-əl)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not material; supernatural: spiritual power.
2. Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul: spiritual guidance; spiritual growth.
3. Not concerned with material or worldly things: led a spiritual life.
4. Of or belonging to a religion; sacred: spiritual practices; spiritual music.

Last edited:

JoStories

Hmmm...so you think I am an atheist....haha
That is not what she said and she did make an incredibly valid point. What is spiritual? Do you get the set the definition and you alone? This is from Websters...
Full Definition of spiritual
  1. 1: of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit : incorporeal <spiritual needs>

2. 2a : of or relating to sacred matters <spiritual songs>b : ecclesiastical rather than lay or temporal <spiritual authority> <lords spiritual>

3. 3: concerned with religious values

4. 4: related or joined in spirit <our spiritual home> <his spiritual heir>

5. 5a : of or relating to supernatural beings or phenomenab : of, relating to, or involving spiritualism :
Now unless you are trying to say that a person cannot have a spirit, which each of us does, you cannot define what it means to each person.

JoStories

On logical grounds.. based on my own understanding of spirit....but the dictionary meaning is acceptable....

spir·i·tu·al
(spĭr′ĭ-cho͞o-əl)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not material; supernatural: spiritual power.
2. Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul: spiritual guidance; spiritual growth.
3. Not concerned with material or worldly things: led a spiritual life.
4. Of or belonging to a religion; sacred: spiritual practices; spiritual music.
I just posted that same definition. You will note that not all the definitions are religious. And therein lies the problem that seems to be being bantered about. One who is an atheist can be spiritual. There are many atheistic Buddhists who live a life that is not concerned with material gain or worldly things. How do you explain that? Do you see what is trying to be imparted?

JoStories

So please tell me from the Catholic perspective....exactly what it is I've said that you find out of line?
Well, your remarks to me about sacred texts for one thing. You made a snarky response. And often you add a snarky 'ha ha' to posts which IMO, is considered rude as well. Keep in mind that you asked.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
That is not what she said and she did make an incredibly valid point. What is spiritual? Do you get the set the definition and you alone? This is from Websters...
Full Definition of spiritual

• 1: of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit : incorporeal <spiritual needs>
    • 2a : of or relating to sacred matters <spiritual songs>b : ecclesiastical rather than lay or temporal <spiritual authority> <lords spiritual>
    • 3: concerned with religious values
    • 4: related or joined in spirit <our spiritual home> <his spiritual heir>
    • 5a : of or relating to supernatural beings or phenomenab : of, relating to, or involving spiritualism :
Now unless you are trying to say that a person cannot have a spirit, which each of us does, you cannot define what it means to each person.
Of course I understand that everyone is of a spiritual basis....but I do not accept calling those who reject their spiritual basis as being spiritual persons... As a case in point....I dare you to ask the likes of Spiny Norman if he has a spirit?

mindlight

See in the dark
Being gay may well just being who you are. We all have fallen natures so I would not say that being gay in itself qualified anyone to be called sinful anymore than being a liar or an adulterer would for instance. But acting gay is sinful according to my faith.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I just posted that same definition. You will note that not all the definitions are religious. And therein lies the problem that seems to be being bantered about. One who is an atheist can be spiritual. There are many atheistic Buddhists who live a life that is not concerned with material gain or worldly things. How do you explain that? Do you see what is trying to be imparted?
Oriental Buddhists are spiritual people in the main, they are not theists for sure...but neither are they atheists... The reality represented by the concept of Nirvana is akin to the Divine beyond human understanding of the Abrahamic tradition..or the Eternal Tao of Taoist tradition....it is a transcendent state beyond conceptualization... It is mainly western christian converts to Buddhism who do not understand that Buddhism generally does not teach duality...theism/atheism...but the transcendence thereof... who reject the very spiritual basis of their oriental brethren and join the mindset of western secular atheists...

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
So let me get this on record....you accept that it is spirit that is the source of your being?

Now you are trying to force me into your particular definition of "spirit". That isn't going to work.

A more intelligent question would be to ask how I think about spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Oriental Buddhists are spiritual people in the main, they are not theists for sure...but neither are they atheists... The reality represented by the concept of Nirvana is akin to the Divine beyond human understanding of the Abrahamic tradition..or the Eternal Tao of Taoist tradition....it is a transcendent state beyond conceptualization... It is mainly western christian converts to Buddhism who do not understand that Buddhism generally does not teach duality...theism/atheism...but the transcendence thereof... who reject the very spiritual basis of their oriental brethren and join the mindset of western secular atheists...

You are confusing transcendental with theist. Or incorrectly trying to conflate them, trying to define the transcendent through the narrow lens of your belief in the Abrahamic God.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Well, your remarks to me about sacred texts for one thing. You made a snarky response. And often you add a snarky 'ha ha' to posts which IMO, is considered rude as well. Keep in mind that you asked.
I think we should let Saint Frankentein
speak for himself... I am not sure what you consider 'out of line' wrt my comment on sacred texts? ..and I doubt Saint Frankenstein considers the 'haha' as a cause of calling me 'out of line'. Let us be patient and wait for Saint Frankenstein to shine a light on his comment..

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Now you are trying to force me into your particular definition of "spirit". That isn't going to work.

A more intelligent question would be to ask how I think about spirit.
Haha....obfuscation....Spiny Norman does nor believe that spirit is the source of his being....

Draka

Wonder Woman
Haha....obfuscation....Spiny Norman does nor believe that spirit is the source of his being....
Oh look, another example of you finding any way you can to disregard what someone has to say when you know they disagree with you. You are flippant quite a bit you know that? Why don't you just swallow your pride and just ask him? Your answer isn't the only one you know.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Snarky remarks will not be addressed.
I, too, believe is it not possible to find a better book than God's word. Of course, God's word can be found in The Teachings of the Buddha, Qu'ran, Tanahk, and so on.

I believe there are those who would debate whether God's word can be found in the teachings of the Buddha. His source of his philosophy has not been stated as far as I know.

I believe the Tanahk and Qu'ran also consider homosexuality to be a sin but that does not make them better books.