• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The language is not common use. Unless it's meant to be insulting, that is.
Ok...forget the language for now....the bottom line is.....in answer to the thread title.....yes...according to Genesis 19 .... Leviticus 18:22 ... Leviticus 20:13 ... Romans 1:26-27 .. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ... 1 Timothy 1:10

Now I can understand that those who do the things referred to in those passages do not like what they read....and will try and defend themselves to the very end....but facts are facts...like it or not...that's all there is to it.....

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
the destruction of family values?
Capitalism and the concept of the nuclear family do great destruction to family values, as money is a frequent and very common argument between a couple, and rather than living with or within close proximity to our family we expect it to be the mom, dad, and the kids until they become adults at which point they are socially expected to leave.
You should know that 78% of gay men are infected,
Pretty much everyone who is sexually active is infected with some form of HPV.
and 1 in 20 gay men are pedophiles.
Not true; most pedophiles are heterosexual.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
but facts are facts...like it or not...that's all there is to it.....
The facts are that an ancien text that claims the Earth is "flat and fixed" and got the bright idea that slinging birds blood is sanitary and that also says gardens are forbidden also has a problem with homosexuals.
Let me ask you this: Do you eat pork?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The facts are that an ancien text that claims the Earth is "flat and fixed" and got the bright idea that slinging birds blood is sanitary and that also says gardens are forbidden also has a problem with homosexuals.
Let me ask you this: Do you eat pork?
Mostly Irrelevant to what posted and an attempt at misdirection.... On the question of my transgressions and sin....yes of course, if I am guilty of wrong doing...that is my karma....

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Karma means you reap what you sow....did not Jesus teach that?
That's not what karma is, not exactly. You're misappropriating a very complicated Dharmic concept. Plus, it's closely tied into reincarnation beliefs, which also aren't traditional Christian concepts.

I mean, really. What is your religion, exactly? You seem to be somewhat New Age-y and pulling concepts from a variety of sources but you also have some sort of grudge against atheists and are cherry picking and misusing the Bible to support your personal disdain for LGBT people. You confuse me.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
That's not what karma is, not exactly. You're misappropriating a very complicated Dharmic concept. Plus, it's closely tied into reincarnation beliefs, which also aren't traditional Christian concepts.

I mean, really. What is your religion, exactly? You seem to be somewhat New Age-y and pulling concepts from a variety of sources but you also have some sort of grudge against atheists and are cherry picking and misusing the Bible to support your personal disdain for LGBT people. You confuse me.
Karma means what I said....that which you do to others will be done unto you.... As to the retribution for outstanding sin from this life....reincarnation and karmic retribution....or Christian hell and karmic punishment....name your own poison...

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Karma means what I said....that which you do to others will be done unto you.... As to the retribution for outstanding sin from this life....reincarnation and karmic retribution....or Christian hell and karmic punishment....name your own poison...
Whatever.

MountainPine

Deuteronomy 30:16
Yet Jesus doesn't expect us to be perfect, but rather he wants us to try to avoid sin, to love everyone because love is the greatest commandment, and most of all have faith.

On the contrary, he does:

“Therefore, be perfect, as your Father in the heavens is perfect.” Matthew 5:48

“יהושע said to him, “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” John 14:6

What is the Way, the Truth, and the Life?

“Blessed are the perfect in the way, Who walk in the Torah of יהוה!” Psalm 119:1

“Your righteousness is righteousness forever, And Your Torah is truth.” Psalm 119:142

“The Torah of the wise is a fountain of life, Turning one away from the snares of death.” Proverbs 13:14

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Torah or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to complete. “For truly, I say to you, till the heaven and the earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall by no means pass from the Torah till all be done.” Matthew 5:17-18

The Torah says that homosexuality is a sin, so Christians are obligated recognize it as such and not support it.

[2 Corinthians 6:14-15] – Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness? And what fellowship has light with darkness? And what agreement has Messiah with Beliya‛al? Or what part does a believer have with an unbeliever?

[2 John 1:9-11] – Everyone who is transgressing and not staying in the teaching of Messiah does not possess Elohim. The one who stays in the teaching of Messiah possesses both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house nor greet him, for he who greets him shares in his wicked works.

This is what God thinks of sinners:

“For all who do these, and all who do unrighteously, are an abomination to יהוה your Elohim.” Deuteronomy 25:16

“O יהוה, in the morning You hear my voice; I present myself to You in the morning, And I look up. For You are not an El taking delight in wrong, Nor does evil dwell with You. The boasters do not stand before Your eyes; You hate all workers of wickedness.” Psalm 5:3-5

“Turn away from evil and do good; Seek peace, and pursue it. The eyes of יהוה are on the righteous, And His ears unto their cry. The face of יהוה is against evil-doers, To cut off their remembrance from the earth.” Psalm 34:14-16

“For “He who wishes to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil, and his lips from speaking deceit, let him turn away from evil and do good, let him seek peace and pursue it. “Because the eyes of יהוה are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayers, but the face of יהוה is against those who do evil.” 1 Peter 3:10-12 (this one is from the New Testament)

Yet over 99% of Christians and denominations do and always have believed that everyone sins, and will continue to sin because we are imperfect

That's because 99% of Christians do not take the Bible seriously, or believe what it actually says. The following passage very well applies to most Christians today:

[2 Timothy 4:2-4] – Proclaim the Word! Be urgent in season, out of season. Reprove, warn, appeal, with all patience and teaching.For there shall be a time when they shall not bear sound teaching, but according to their own desires, they shall heap up for themselves teachers tickling the ear, and they shall indeed turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to myths.

MountainPine

Deuteronomy 30:16
Anyway, I'm done with this thread. I don't have anything more to say that wouldn't be a violation of the rules. As it is, some of the things I posted here might be border-line rule breaking, so I'm just shut up and move on before I get banned. Ciao!

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
If you vote for those who feel the same way and act politically upon those beliefs, thus infringing upon the rights of others, then yes,...You would be trying to control others rights.

BTW, the biblical moral code is not what this society was built upon and should not be what our society or culture relies upon now. Just the sheer idea of it being imposed it scary.

Exactly.

I would say that if people were of the opinion that being gay is wrong, and kept this personal within their own religous constraints rather than society....that would be better than nothing. I am aware, however, or the damage that does to young religious people.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
There is nothing of substance in those passages that imply that homosexual acts are approved by God, the prophets, Jesus Christ, or his Apostles..

Otoh, here are some passages that clearly point out that it is not approved...read them.....Genesis 19 .... Leviticus 18:22 ... Leviticus 20:13 ... Romans 1:26-27 .. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ... 1 Timothy 1:10

You may find this useful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminology_of_homosexuality

The word homosexual did not exist when the bible was written. In fact, it has been argued that Leviticus 20:13 is referring to a man raping a man, since the bible was apparently fine with women being raped.

A lot of christians will claim that they do not obey the laws of the old testament because of Jesus and the fact that they had a different culture then. Funny how the OT gets used to argue against people who are gay.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
You may find this useful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminology_of_homosexuality

The word homosexual did not exist when the bible was written. In fact, it has been argued that Leviticus 20:13 is referring to a man raping a man, since the bible was apparently fine with women being raped.

A lot of christians will claim that they do not obey the laws of the old testament because of Jesus and the fact that they had a different culture then. Funny how the OT gets used to argue against people who are gay.
Hardly....but fine....use the new testament passages then.....

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
So....do not do her husband? lol
I guess so, lol.

"National Gay Pentecostal Alliance (NGPA) interpretation: They state that a word-for-word translation of this verse from the original Hebrew is:

"And a man who will lie down with a male in beds of a woman, both of them have made an abomination; dying they will die. Their blood is on them." 3

In modern English this could be translated as:

"If two men engage in homosexual sex while on a woman's bed, both have committed an abomination. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

This does not generally forbid homosexual behavior between two men. It only limits where the act can be done."
http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibh3.htm

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
You didn't even open the link did you?

I do not believe that the term homosexuality was ever used in the bible. I also believe that the NT only referred to perverse sexual activity which is open to interpretation.
As I noted earlier....you will never accept the bible's judgement on it..... nothing new....