• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
For you, the word and its meaning loses meaning but that is simply for you Ben. Spirituality is a concept that can and does mean many things to many people. For example, nursing now incorporates spirituality into our theoretic paradigm but keep in mind that it is against the law to try to force anyone faith on another so use we ubiquitous terms in this case. For an atheist, spiritual can mean nature, pets, or any other thing they wish it to. What you perceive of as being spiritual is personal to you.
Apparently this is the way it is....so be it...makes it difficult to convey though the deeper meaning of the concept...

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Ben, the title of the thread is "is being gay a sin according to your religion". What does that have to do with being civil to people regarding derogatory terms used to describe who and what they are?
And all this time I thought they were annoyed because I was pointing out the bible does indeed judge it as a serious sin.... Ok, I will be polite.....though I expect reciprocity in this respect...

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
It's not irrelevant or a misdirection. It is other things the Bible claims, even though those claims are false. It's also an indication

Karma is not a Christian Principle.

That is not what Karma is or means.

Karma is a Dharmic principle that "calculates" the total of your actions to determine the conditions of your next reincarnation, or if you are reincarnated at all and achieve Nirvana. It has no parallels or similar concepts in Christianity.

I doubt you follow the laws wrote out in the Torah that well. People are not aware of many of them, and many of them seem silly and foolish in our culture. The recent bacon fad and yearly shrimp fest prove that we aren't really actually that concerned about following Judaic law, except when it supports our own prejudices. (most people don't even realize the conditions that apply to make such laws applicable in the first place)
Karma is now a part of the English language and it is the Sanatan Dharma equivalent of the Christian 'you reap what you sow'....and even the secular expression 'what goes around, comes around'....so please do not try and misdirect the focus of this discussion. God's punishment for sinners is the equivalent of bad karma for sinners...

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Well it doesn't appear to be a fact since there are a number of people who disagree with your interpretation. ... that's all there is to it ...
So because a number of people like yourself disagree with what the bible has to say about it, it is not a fact....hardly...

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
So because a number of people like yourself disagree with what the bible has to say about it, it is not a fact....hardly...
No. Different people interpret different parts of the Bible differently, that's obvious. Everybody thinks they've got the right interpretation. This guy is looking at it in the context of the time period in which it was written. That guy is looking at it from a modern perspective and that other guy is looking at it some other way, etc. There doesn't appear to be one single "factual" way of looking at it because there's no way to really determine exactly which perspective is the "right" one. Or maybe it's meant to have more than one meaning, or maybe it's meant to mean different things to different people. Who knows? The only thing that is clear here, is that this "fact" you speak of can't really be considered a fact at all.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
No. Different people interpret different parts of the Bible differently, that's obvious. Everybody thinks they've got the right interpretation. This guy is looking at it in the context of the time period in which it was written. That guy is looking at it from a modern perspective and that other guy is looking at it some other way, etc. There doesn't appear to be one single "factual" way of looking at it because there's no way to really determine exactly which perspective is the "right" one. Or maybe it's meant to have more than one meaning, or maybe it's meant to mean different things to different people. Who knows? The only thing that is clear here, is that this "fact" you speak of can't really be considered a fact at all.
And then there is the relevant bible passages I linked to that everyone except LGBT activists read and accept as the true meaning......

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
And then there is the relevant bible passages I linked to that everyone except LGBT activists read and accept as the true meaning......
You can't make a statement like that. Especially when are thousands of different Christian denominations in existence. I'm not even sure I've met two Christians who believe exactly the same things.

The people who took issue with the passages you quoted gave their reasons why they did so.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
You can't make a statement like that. Especially when are thousands of different Christian denominations in existence. I'm not even sure I've met two Christians who believe exactly the same things.

The people who took issue with the passages you quoted gave their reasons why they did so.
I can and did!

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
If it's clear that "homo" is offensive to some people, then I don't see why using "gay" would be a problem here. This is not just about political correctness, it's about recognising that discrimination and bigotry hurt people. The language we use is important.

I am inclined to think that people who continue to use terminology after being asked not to DO NOT CARE about the hurt they cause.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
And all this time I thought they were annoyed because I was pointing out the bible does indeed judge it as a serious sin.... Ok, I will be polite.....though I expect reciprocity in this respect...

I have not seen anyone use terminology that demeans you and dehumanizes you.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!

What? You mean the part about god making people gay so he could punish them for being gay?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
makes it difficult to convey though the deeper meaning of the concept...
What limits deeper discussions and meaning is when you appropriate the term and insist it can only mean what you say it does.
Sanatan Dharma equivalent of the Christian 'you reap what you sow'....
The Dharmic concept of Karma is not mean "you reap what you sow," and it has no equivalent in Christianity.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
What? You mean the part about god making people gay so he could punish them for being gay?
No the bible does not say that....that was a commentary from the LGBT activist web site... But if I recall properly, you do not have it correct, it said the God made them gay as a punishment for indulging in heterosexual orgies...

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
What limits deeper discussions and meaning is when you appropriate the term and insist it can only mean what you say it does.

The Dharmic concept of Karma is not mean "you reap what you sow," and it has no equivalent in Christianity.
If you have followed the thread, I have accepted that the dictionary definitions of spirituality now allows everyone to call themselves spiritual and can back it up with an appropriate definition.. Fwiw, as someone whose religious practice is serious, I do not consider my personal self spiritual...

So here is what "you reap what you sow" means in contemporary western understanding .....http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=You+Reap+What+You+Sow (It even mentions karma as a meaning...)
And here is what "karma" means in contemporary western understanding...http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=karma

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
No the bible does not say that....that was a commentary from the LGBT activist web site... But if I recall properly, you do not have it correct, it said the God made them gay as a punishment for indulging in heterosexual orgies...

What LGBT activist website?

Yes...god made them gay....and being gay is a sin right? God punishes the sinful. Conclusion = God punished people so he could punish people....

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
So....a website that is dedicated to religious tolerance amongst different religious groups...is....LGBT Activism?
Yes...blaming the messenger Paul....and look at the references...."How to be true to the Bible and say 'Yes' to same-sex unions," , "Free to be gay: A brief look at the Bible and homosexuality,"

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Yes...blaming the messenger Paul....and look at the references...."How to be true to the Bible and say 'Yes' to same-sex unions," , "Free to be gay: A brief look at the Bible and homosexuality,"

That doesn't make them LGBT activists. It is to a call for safety and equal treatment of all.