• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
You think too much...yoni and linga...are a natural creative matched complementary opposite pair... the authors of the bible understood this.... Settle down and learn to appreciate Divine art....

But that's exactly the point, Bible texts reflect the attitudes of the authors, who, being primitive tribesmen, had primitive views.

And the idea that a supreme being would have any interest in what people get up to in the bedroom seems absurd to me.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
But that's exactly the point, Bible texts reflect the attitudes of the authors, who, being primitive tribesmen, had primitive views.

And the idea that a supreme being would have any interest in what people get up to in the bedroom seems absurd to me.
Norman says..."And the idea that a supreme being would have any interest in what people get up to in the bedroom seems absurd to me." So Spiny.....where does procreation fit wrt your thoughts about natures design.....or do you only ever think of sexual activity in the context of same sex acts of non-creative sexual gratification?

Rick O'Shez

....or do you only ever think of sexual activity in the context of same sex acts of non-creative sexual gratification?

Most sex acts are about "non-creative" sexual gratification, regardless of sexual orientation. Why do you think so many people use birth control methods?

Or do you regard using birth control as a sin? ( good luck with that! )

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Most sex acts are about "non-creative" sexual gratification. Why do you think people use contraceptives?
Hold on buster...you were talking about primitive tribesman....and when I cut you off at the intellectual pass....it is about modern contraception.... You have more twists and turns than an anaconda....or tantric serpent arousal....

Rick O'Shez

Hold on buster...you were talking about primitive tribesman....and when I cut you off at the intellectual pass....it is about modern contraception.... You have more twists and turns than an anaconda....or tantric serpent arousal....

Eh? I'm just trying to follow your twists and turns. But do you think that using birth control is sinful, and the sex must only be used for procreation? And do you think the sexual attitudes of primitive tribesmen have any relevance for modern life?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Eh? I'm just trying to follow your twists and turns. But do you think that using birth control is sinful, and the sex must only be used for procreation? And do you think the sexual attitudes of primitive tribesmen have any relevance for modern life?
Good grief...enough of your repetition of what I say to you.....I understood you were accusing primitives of being responsible for the creation of the arrogant (to you) idea of sex being a primarily creative act between male and female...what other sort of sex do you think is more important in this post modern environment?

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

Good grief...enough of your repetition of what I say to you.....I understood you were accusing primitives of being responsible for the creation of the arrogant (to you) idea of sex being a primarily creative act between male and female...what other sort of sex do you think is more important in this post modern environment?

The modern world certainly doesn't need more children.

But you seem to be avoiding my questions, which are trying to clarify the logic or otherwise of your position:

1. Do you accept that the great majority of sexual activity generally in the modern world isn't for the purpose of conceiving a child?
2. Do you think that using birth control is sinful, and the sex should only be used for procreation?
3. Do you think the attitudes of primitive tribesmen towards sexual orientation have any relevance for modern life?
4. Do you really think a supreme being would be concerned about what people get up to in the bedroom?

I look forward to your answers.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
No...the idea of karma in the restricted sense of 'reaping what you sow' is in the New Testament...though no doubt the idea preexisted Christianity...it is universal wisdom...
The Dharmic concept of Karma is not "reap what you sow." It is far more complexed than that, and it is the "sum" of all of your actions and lingering attachments that determine your next incarnation, or if you achieve Nirvana. In it's ugliest form, we have harsh caste systems and a class of "untouchables."

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Incorrect. As a law, stated as the Rule of Three, this came from Gerald Gardner. However, the historical import predates most religions. I have not the time at this moment to find my sources in my library but this is something I used as part of my dissertation in theology.

Sorry but the specifics of the threefold law originated with Crowley.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Just to throw this stuff out there, as quite a bit of it has already been said but bears repeating point by point.

• Gays are born gay. So, if one believes that we are created by a god, then it stands perfectly to reason that that god created gays and that people are born gay on purpose by that god's will.
  1. Gays are then wanted to exist by a god
  2. It would make no logical sense to punish a gay person for being gay. That would be like buying your kids outfits, picking them out, telling them to wear them, and then punishing them for wearing them.
  3. Any god that would punish a gay for being gay, when that god made gays, is simply a sadistic malevolent cruel and unjust god that merely made us to play with like puppets. No god worth worship.
  • Sex is not just for procreation.
  1. We are animals, mammals to be exact, and other mammals in this world have sex for reasons other than procreation. They have it for fun and for bonding.
  2. If sex were for procreation only then people without the ability to reproduce would not have sexual drives. The infertile and post-menopausal would not have any desire to have sex.
  3. On a purely logistical note, we as human beings tend to over reproduce anyway. We have too much sex that results in reproduction and thus create over-population problems.
  4. Keeping #3 in mind, the idea that there are people in the world who have sexual relations which cannot result in reproduction is a good thing for the planet and thus:
  5. More homosexuals would actually be of benefit to the world overall and, one would think, an intelligent deity would figure that much out and not condemn such.

There is so much more that can be said about this subject, but I think those points should be concise enough for now.

It's called logical thinking...try to follow it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
  • Gays are born gay. So, if one believes that we are created by a god, then it stands perfectly to reason that that god created gays and that people are born gay on purpose by that god's will.
  1. Gays are then wanted to exist by a god
  2. It would make no logical sense to punish a gay person for being gay. That would be like buying your kids outfits, picking them out, telling them to wear them, and then punishing them for wearing them.
  3. Any god that would punish a gay for being gay, when that god made gays, is simply a sadistic malevolent cruel and unjust god that merely made us to play with like puppets. No god worth worship.
Except with that, everyone has their own cross to bear. We are all born with a sinful nature, and work to overcome it. Except with that, god didn't exactly try to prevent sin from spreading further and stopping it at the source.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The modern world certainly doesn't need more children.

But you seem to be avoiding my questions, which are trying to clarify the logic or otherwise of your position:

1. Do you accept that the great majority of sexual activity generally in the modern world isn't for the purpose of conceiving a child?
2. Do you think that using birth control is sinful, and the sex should only be used for procreation?
3. Do you think the attitudes of primitive tribesmen towards sexual orientation have any relevance for modern life?
4. Do you really think a supreme being would be concerned about what people get up to in the bedroom?

I look forward to your answers.
Another feeble attempt at misdirection to change the subject....get back to it what you said....why do you think it is not understandable for the ancient peoples to see the male female creative sexual act as the more natural?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The Dharmic concept of Karma is not "reap what you sow." It is far more complexed than that, and it is the "sum" of all of your actions and lingering attachments that determine your next incarnation, or if you achieve Nirvana. In it's ugliest form, we have harsh caste systems and a class of "untouchables."
How is your memory....this is like ground hog day....read my post #1515 and be sure to click on the links...

Rick O'Shez

Another feeble attempt at misdirection to change the subject....get back to it what you said....why do you think it is not understandable for the ancient peoples to see the male female creative sexual act as the more natural?

You are the one misdirecting. I'm waiting for a straighforward response to the four questions I have posed.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
No we are still learning more things about Sex, Gender, and Sexuality every day.
So what.....the point was that Spiny can't understand why the ancients thought that the male putting his rod into the female hole was the nature intended the respective organs to be used...

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
You are the one misdirecting. I'm waiting for a straighforward response to the four questions I have posed.

No you don't buster....here is your post #1537 that I have been discussing from the get go....

I still don't understand why anyone would want or need to base their attitudes towards sexual orientation on an ancient religious text written by a bunch of primitive tribesmen.

Nothing there about contraception, God in the bedroom, etc...