• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Not exactly. Religious beliefs will (the vast majority of the time) play a role in what people think about these issues. They always have.

It's a sad state of affairs though. Think about all the wars and oppression justified by people who claimed they were in the right, based on their religious beliefs.

Discrimination against gays is a form of oppression, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
"Some" preachers were involved with the movement - others defended slavery as being Biblical! Nor were they the earliest movers!

However, the Civil Rights and the Abolitionist Movements both started (at least, in the US and Britain) with devout Christians, people who were just as justified, if not much more so, in their course of action as dictated by their beliefs.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
If being gay is a problem in your religion, then your religion has one big problem, there is so much worse than being gay, get you propriety's right for god's sake.

Sundance

Premium Member
If being gay is a problem in your religion, then your religion has one big problem, there is so much worse than being gay, get you propriety's right for god's sake.

Me thinks if you (or anyone, for that matter) really are that concerned with telling other people what they ought to believe on this or any other issue, then you have the problem, don't you think so?

Rick O'Shez

Me thinks if you (or anyone, for that matter) really are that concerned with telling other people what they ought to believe on this or any other issue, then you have the problem, don't you think so?

The people who have the real problem are the victims of discrimination, in this case gay people.

I won't tolerate intolerance of this kind, I will always challenge discrimination, homophobia and bigotry.

So sue me.

Sundance

Premium Member
No I have no problem mattey, its your belief in a stupid god that there is the problem.

I will ask respecfully, psychoslice, that you leave my firm faith in God out of a tiff which involves the two of us. Such a low blow of a “rebuttal”...for shame.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I will ask respecfully, psychoslice, that you leave my firm faith in God out of a tiff which involves the two of us. Such a low blow of a “rebuttal”...for shame.
Well how else could I reply to you, I do don't believe in a god, to me its a childish belief.

Sundance

Premium Member
The people who have the real problem are the victims of discrimination, in this case gay people.

I won't tolerate intolerance of this kind, I will always challenge discrimination, homophobia and bigotry.

So sue me.

I'm going to decline that offer, as someone else who posits a differing opinion from my own is not a bother to me.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
So you just take on the homophobic and sexist attitudes of the authors? If they'd been racist too, would you just take on those attitudes as well?
You are out of line Norman and wrong as usual...just because I believe the bible is also right about atheists being sinners....I still count atheists among my friends and family...

Rick O'Shez

You are out of line Norman and wrong as usual...just because I believe the bible is also right about atheists being sinners....I still count atheists among my friends and family...

Avoiding the difficult questions as usual, I see.

To put it another way, if the authors of the Bible had been racist as well as homophobic and sexist, would you be a racist too?

Last edited by a moderator:

JoStories

No...the idea of karma in the restricted sense of 'reaping what you sow' is in the New Testament...though no doubt the idea preexisted Christianity...it is universal wisdom...

So please don't bore me with any attempt to propose the concept of karma in the sense of retribution for our acts is somehow different from the Christian teaching to that effect.... And btw....karma is a Sanatan Dharma term....predates Buddhism...
Well, God forbid I 'bore' you with the accumulated knowledge I have gained in the pursuit of my PhD. It seems to me that any attempts at further discussion here, given this snarky response, are futile in the extreme.

JoStories

Sorry but the specifics of the threefold law originated with Crowley.
Setting aside the fact that Crowley was a talentless hack, you can believe anything you want but the first time the Law appeared in print was in the book "high Magic's Aid" written by Gardner, circa 1949 or so. The first interpretation came from Monique Wilson and was later popularized by Raymond Buckland. And of course, Lady Gwen Thompson, in the Green Egg, attributed the Law to her grandmother, Adriana Porter. I recommend a book by John Coughlin (2001) The Three Fold Law, and also Rise of the Three Fold Law.

JoStories

Except with that, everyone has their own cross to bear. We are all born with a sinful nature, and work to overcome it. Except with that, god didn't exactly try to prevent sin from spreading further and stopping it at the source.
I would disagree most strongly. Perhaps you believe 'we' are all born with a 'sinful' nature but I certainly do not.