• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I beg your pardon....where did you get that funny idea about after?

Acts 1:8 “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

This implies you are not born with it.

EDIT: Also

Acts 2:38 “And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Acts 1:8 “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

This implies you are not born with it.

EDIT: Also

Acts 2:38 “And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”
No....that refers to spiritual baptism which bring with it special powers.... Everyone is born with it....see Genesis 2:7 The breath of God entered the clay body of Adam and he became a living soul.. Also Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
No....that refers to spiritual baptism which bring with it special powers.... Everyone is born with it....see Genesis 2:7 The breath of God entered the clay body of Adam and he became a living soul.. Also Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

And where in Genesis 2:7 does it say anything about a holy spirit. Breath=/= holy spirit.

Ditto on Luke 17:21. Kingdom of god =/= holy spirit.

Deidre

Well, when I was an atheist, the Holy Spirit touched my heart and life. This was last fall, and I believe that Christ will find us wherever we are, and love us. You don't need to be following Him to gain His love...I had forgotten about Him, but He didn't forget me. :heart:

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Well, when I was an atheist, the Holy Spirit touched my heart and life. This was last fall, and I believe that Christ will find us wherever we are, and love us. You don't need to be following Him to gain His love...I had forgotten about Him, but He didn't forget me. :heart:

Sounds to me this is simply choosing to follow that religion because of emotional appeal.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Quote where in the bible it says you are born with "The holy spirit" not something that you interpret as the "holy spirit" but where it actually says the words "holy spirit".
Look....every human soul is vivified by the spirit of God....there is no more to it... The holy spirit is the Christ spirit....not every human soul has the Christ spirit... The concept of the holy trinity is that there is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost..not all Christian believe this....

Deidre

Yes...the dark side hates losing.....

hi ben - it's funny, I used to think about faith much like that...that it was emotionally alluring. In some ways, it is. I mean, we are human, and we function somewhat on emotion. But, logically, IMO, there was no other explanation for what happened other than the Holy Spirit. If people choose to believe in a deity, and that gives them comfort and serenity, so be it...right? Of course it would be amazing if everyone could see the beauty of Jesus, but for a long time, I was indifferent to Him. To even the idea of Him. Indifference sometimes is worse than hate. :relaxed:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
hi ben - it's funny, I used to think about faith much like that...that it was emotionally alluring. In some ways, it is. I mean, we are human, and we function somewhat on emotion. But, logically, IMO, there was no other explanation for what happened other than the Holy Spirit. If people choose to believe in a deity, and that gives them comfort and serenity, so be it...right? Of course it would be amazing if everyone could see the beauty of Jesus, but for a long time, I was indifferent to Him. To even the idea of Him. Indifference sometimes is worse than hate. :relaxed:
Hi Deidre.....that's the way it goes....we all start the journey in belief.....but spiritual reality is on the other side of belief...so somewhere along life's journey, this reality must be realized if we are to graduate... I also fell away for some time...and when it cut in again....it was no longer belief...but the real thing...which while being wondrous beyond words, it was also the beginning of a difficult path of purification... :)

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Look....every human soul is vivified by the spirit of God....there is no more to it... The holy spirit is the Christ spirit....not every human soul has the Christ spirit... The concept of the holy trinity is that there is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost..not all Christian believe this....

All of this is speculation that not even something as feeble as scripture can back up.

Deidre

Hi Deidre.....that's the way it goes....we all start the journey in belief.....but spiritual reality is on the other side of belief...so somewhere along life's journey, this reality must be realized if we are to graduate... I also fell away for some time...and when it cut in again....it was no longer belief...but the real thing...which while being wondrous beyond words, it was also the beginning of a difficult path of purification... :)

This is so weird that you say this...lol I feel the same way, that it's not ''belief'' or the need for ''faith'' anymore. It is the real thing. (( :heart: ))