• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
All of this is speculation that not even something as feeble as scripture can back up.
But as an atheist...you do not know spirit.. That is not the case for those who have gone beyond the conceptualization and discovered the real thing.. Belief in it and or talking about it will not of itself reveal it...ever...one must walk the walk....

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
My reason for following Christ, isn't based on emotion. Although, emotion is part of who we are, Taylor. Your desire to not follow a God, could also be based on emotion, if you're honest. Who's to say? Only you know.

Implying I have a desire to not follow a god.

If it where up to me Wicca would be true, but the fact of the matter is it is not.

I do not choose what is true and what is not.

Reality is reality no matter what I want to think.

Now let me ask you, if emotion was not your reason, then what was?

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
But as an atheist...you do not know spirit.. That is not the case for those who have gone beyond the conceptualization and discovered the real thing.. Belief in it and or talking about it will not of itself reveal it...ever...one must walk the walk....

So it only makes sense if you believe in it first?

Have you tried this with Islam? Cause they claim the same.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
So it only makes sense if you believe in it first?

Have you tried this with Islam? Cause they claim the same.
I don't speak for others....only my own experience... Yes, one must have some form of conceptual understanding of the religion before one can practice it....it is not though the belief/conceptualization that reveals the treasure...but the practice...

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I don't speak for others....only my own experience... Yes, one must have some form of conceptual understanding of the religion before one can practice it....it is not though the belief/conceptualization that reveals the treasure...but the practice...

Actually I have and do conceptualize several religions but find them lacking in evidence and in many cases contradictory.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Actually I have and do conceptualize several religions but find them lacking in evidence and in many cases contradictory.
For sure....but conceptualization will never in all eternity bring about revelation of itself....contradictions or no contradictions... The path to divine revelation is very difficult...only the serious aspirant will make it.... I would say that one must intuit the truth of the reality represented by such concepts as God, spirit, etc., in order to take it seriously as an aspirant...

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!

I imagined spirit once...just like I imagined greek gods, tarot, spells, etc.

JoStories

I am afraid that even if your assertion is correct, that it would still disprove the false link from old paganism.

Can you please show me archeological evidence that this law existed among the Celts of that era?
The people I mentioned are/were all within the last 100 years or so. Where does this about Celts come into play?

JoStories

You are the one that discriminates and judges...you are against everyone whom you judge to be not to be as anti-theist as yourself... Accepting the moral teaching of the bible is not discrimination....it is not I who judges you.....but religious truth...the truth of the ages...
Untrue. You are the one judging here. You are the one making these posts. Not the Bible nor God but you. And what is this 'truth of the ages'? If you refer to the Bible, that is but one book of many that allege to reveal truth. What one gleans from them may be truth ...for them. For me, the Bible holds some interesting allegorical tales and some fairly profound wisdom but truth? Perhaps..but who is to say that truth cannot be found in Confucianism? Or the Tao Te Ching?

JoStories

That's fine Jo....I am happy to agree to disagree on some of these issues... Each of us have our own dharma in the greater dharma of the human race ... It is that greater dharma of the human race that religions try to frame as a destiny to which we as individuals should aim. Since we are all unique, there will always be disagreements in this world of time and space...but convergence is inevitable as we approach our greater destiny...
Inevitable? Who is to say? I would be more inclined to say possible. And what exactly do you mean by convergence? Please explain from your POV.

JoStories

Are you for real? Your logic implies that because bad people lived contemporaneously with good.....all of them are to be judged bad.. Don't you ever get embarrassed about the difficulty you have in reasoning?
IMO, that was completely uncalled for. And he did make a good point. History is full of lessons that, with any degree of hope, we will not repeat. Or are you honestly saying that the people mentioned in the Bible are truly deserving of death? It is not about seeing those that were 'bad people' as compared to 'good'. It is about viewing that culture through a historical lens to see that while some of their contributions were great, they also had some pretty serious foibles.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
The people I mentioned are/were all within the last 100 years or so. Where does this about Celts come into play?

Christian Buddhists have usurped the idea of karma and incorporated it into their own dogma but that does not imply that it is the intended usage per the Buddhist path. What you are more likely thinking of, and this is just my thoughts, is the pagan idea of the Three Fold law. This notion predates Christianity, and as of so many other concepts incorporated into the Christian faith, that is where this concept had its inception. Other concepts that the founders of the Christian faith usurped include the 'fish' symbol as it relates to Christ and the Trinity itself.

From this.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
If a person is going through a hard time in life and/or suffers from depression, what's wrong with that person believing there's a God that loves them and cares about them, and this giving them comfort and motivation to keep going in life?

Because

A) Its not true.

B) You can do so through non-religious means.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
For sure....but conceptualization will never in all eternity bring about revelation of itself....contradictions or no contradictions... The path to divine revelation is very difficult...only the serious aspirant will make it.... I would say that one must intuit the truth of the reality represented by such concepts as God, spirit, etc., in order to take it seriously as an aspirant...

Oh intuit?

The same way of determining what to do that serial killers employ?

JoStories

2. Judging someone's person or religion as "homophobic" because they believe homosexuality is immoral is wrong and not fair. For thousands of years people have held the view that a relationship between a man and a woman is natural because their pieces fit together, and that two hot dogs and two bagels don't fit. It is a moral objective to many, and it is wrong for homosexuals to expect tolerance from those whom they know don't approve; to expect others to throw away their world view for the sake of their sexual preference. It's completely selfish. Why do homosexuals care so much about what others think of them? That's a serious question because all they think about is acceptance.

Personally, I could not care one whit what you think of me or my sexual orientation. If you wish to view being Bi as abnormal, so be it. What happens, however, is that you expect that your view of this will be the one that holds me from having the same rights as you. That would include the right to marry my partner, to have her as my dependent on taxes, etc. Tolerance simply means that you will not try to enforce your beliefs on my life. And when you deny me the right to marry, you are enforcing your beliefs on me. That is what is completely selfish.