• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is belief a choice?

idav

Being
Premium Member
No, they continue to believe what they believe. I know that my beliefs have changed with further input. Had I chosen not to know those things, my beliefs would have not changed, but the choice was not to "believe something," the choice was to "not know something."
This may be true but we may be aware what it would take to change our minds. Ignorance of a subject doesn't make it any less of a choice than if we have full knowledge of a subject. The only difference is one is an informed decision and one is not informed but still a decision.

waitasec

Veteran Member
This may be true but we may be aware what it would take to change our minds. Ignorance of a subject doesn't make it any less of a choice than if we have full knowledge of a subject. The only difference is one is an informed decision and one is not informed but still a decision.

the difference between dumb and stupid...
:shrug: and :ignore:

not to say that being dumb is negative...we all lack knowledge of something
it's the knowing we have limitations, some don't admit to that fact.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
all while knowing they don't want to know...that is a choice.

how?

exactly..you chose to. had you not chosen your beliefs would not have changed

i think we know if we choose to know more, we change our beliefs...
some beliefs are better left unchanged for some.
Again, the belief isn't a choice -- it's a perception. You can choose to know or ignore, and that changes your perception, but not the choice, itself.

idav

Being
Premium Member
the difference between dumb and stupid...
:help: and :ignore:
I might be dumb but I'm not stupid...well most of the time. :)

Yeah I think stupid is more when you should no better and probably do know better.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Again, the belief isn't a choice -- it's a perception. You can choose to know or ignore, and that changes your perception, but not the choice, itself.

if belief is a perception then we cannot hold people accountable for their wrong doing because of that perception.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think you've assumed a couple of fallacies here. First of all, I'm not so sure belief is a matter of choice. It's more a matter of perception. Second, Belief isn't a matter of "faith." It's a matter of perception. Perception really doesn't have much to do with choice.

Assumptions all around....but not altogether for me.

Life after death....as perceived?...not likely....
unless you are willing to include reasoning.

I reason there is life after death...I do not perceive it.
For cause.....I prefer to believe it.
I cannot prove it.

You can say I assume life after death....that's fine.
The rest of my faith follows my belief....in life after death.

I choose what I believe.
I do so as carefully as I can reason.

idav

Being
Premium Member

I cannot prove it.

I choose what I believe.
Life after death is a good example as you pointed out earlier in the thread. The basis for believing in life after death would be based on some premise that one would hang on with or without evidence. For example going by the premise that what Jesus said in the NT is absolute truth one would choose to believe there is something more after death. It doesn't always have to be reasoned but it can be. Once someone told me they felt they would see another sunrise after death and that was enough for them to choose the belief that there is life after death based on the premise of the sunrise.

laffy_taffy

Life after death is a good example as you pointed out earlier in the thread. The basis for believing in life after death would be based on some premise that one would hang on with or without evidence. For example going by the premise that what Jesus said in the NT is absolute truth one would choose to believe there is something more after death. It doesn't always have to be reasoned but it can be. Once someone told me they felt they would see another sunrise after death and that was enough for them to choose the belief that there is life after death based on the premise of the sunrise.

He didn't have to "choose" to believe in life after death if he already believed in it. You said that the person already felt that they would see a sunrise after death, right? Well, you would already have to believe in life after death if you believed this.

idav

Being
Premium Member
He didn't have to "choose" to believe in life after death if he already believed in it. You said that the person already felt that they would see a sunrise after death, right? Well, you would already have to believe in life after death if you believed this.
It seems like a choice to me. It is starting with a premise that something is true therefore logically there is life after death. No different than wishful thinking. I've also used the example of starting with the premise that the bible is true therefore if it says there is life after death then it must be true cause it is found in a true book.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It seems like a choice to me. It is starting with a premise that something is true therefore logically there is life after death. No different than wishful thinking. I've also used the example of starting with the premise that the bible is true therefore if it says there is life after death then it must be true cause it is found in a true book.

Assumptions have to be made.
It would be impossible to further such discussion without them.
However....assumption is a tool and should be used carefully.

My belief for life after death comes from observation here in this world.

You know a tool by it's design.
The human form has only one function.
It delivers to your mind, perceptions of this world.
why?....to have individuals.
Your linear existence insures it.

Why individuals?
Well...for the moment....
Let's say the process is in full swing.
There are more than 6billion of us becoming unique spirits,
even as I type these words.

Then we die.

But why then learn of this life, only to return to the dust we are made of?

We don't.
We go back to God....and God is spirit.

Is belief a choice or is something that you don't have much control over? Now I'm not talking about freewill or anything like that. Is belief a decision you make?

In my case it wasn't when I was a Christian.

The best way I can describe my experience is that once I was a Christian the Christian worldview became my reality.

My specific beliefs did change over time, such as whether or not God would torture people, but I didn't lose my faith in God and Jesus.

I consider my conversion and deconversion experiences mysterious. I think its reasonable to say that my deconversion experience did have something to do with all of the holes I found within Christian theology. But it wasn't as if I chose to stop believing. My faith was there one moment, and the next moment I knew that it was gone.

laffy_taffy

I don't know about the rest of you, but my beliefs are the result of being convinced of something's truth. I cannot choose to believe in the existence of something based on fear, or even based on my wants/desires. Heck, there are some things that I believe in that I would rather not believe, but have no choice based on the overwhelming evidence.

Even if someone were to offer me 10 million dollars to believe that I was a porcupine, for example, I couldn't make myself actually believe. Would I want to believe it? Heck yeah! Could I “try” to believe? Yes! Could I pretend to believe it? Sure! But would I actually believe it? No. Like I said before, wanting to believe something does not change the fact that I do not actually believe it.

Believing that something exists should be independent of whether or not that belief could give you comfort. Either you are convinced by evidence that a particular god exists, or you are not convinced and you withhold belief (as a non-believer; atheist) until such time as you are provided with such. For instance, if I was convinced by evidence that a two headed tyrant god existed, I would have no choice but to believe that he existed, period....regardless of how it made me "feel." As an atheist, I have not yet been persuaded to believe in any god due to the lack of convincing evidence. However, I am always open to the possibility!

horizon_mj1

Is this not a question that depends on several criteria such as how much information the individual has available to them. This would make belief a choice. If there was not proper information available to the individual, then I would say there would not be much room for choice.

idav

Being
Premium Member
My faith was there one moment, and the next moment I knew that it was gone.
My faith was a result of believing the bible to be the word of god. Why cause the book and family said so. Once the holes were found regarding the bible I chose to believe otherwise. I wonder how much faith is a choice when it is based on things unseen. Almost like you don't see it but you choose to believe it regardless.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Is this not a question that depends on several criteria such as how much information the individual has available to them. This would make belief a choice. If there was not proper information available to the individual, then I would say there would not be much room for choice.
If there isn't a lot of information it makes it easier to just believe whatever. You almost lose the choice with the more you know because truth would be self evident and irrefutable.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

I cannot prove it.

I choose what I believe.
Sure it is! Based on the perception that the human spirit is larger than physical death.

jtartar

Is belief a choice or is something that you don't have much control over? Now I'm not talking about freewill or anything like that. Is belief a decision you make?

idav,
Belief is definately a choice!! God does not want to make people do anything, certainly not worship Him by force, which would probably be insincere. God wants people to love Him and His son, because of the many things they have done for mankind, Rom 2:4, 3:5,6, 2Pet 3:7-10.
Look at the wonderful way in which we were created. We were created to live forever, not to die. Our bodies have a process by which all our cells a washed away and replaced at least every seven years, so we we would always be young. Man sinned against God and became imperfect, flawed, and that flaw which is passed on to all, is the reason we die, Rom 5:12.
Consider closely what has been called; The Gospel in Miniature, John 3:16, which says: For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son so that everyone who believes in him will no be destroyed, but have everlasting life. It is vital that we take this to heart. Just think; God allowed His son who He loves more than anything in existence, to give his life for us in an atonement sacrifice for our sins, so that we can be brought back to life in a perfect earth, and live forever, if we just have belief in Jesus" Ransom, and obey His laws. And contrary to what many believe, God's laws are not burdensome, 1John 5:3, John 15:10.
Because the only alternative to obeying God is death, our choice seems, at first thought, to be a Hobson's Choice, but it is truely NOT, because all the things that God has told us to do is really for our own GOOD, He doesn't give laws just because He has the authority, but for our GOOD, Deut 10:13, Ps 9:8,9, Isa 48:17-19, 1John 5:3.