• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is belief in ghosts compatible with the Christian faith, or other religions?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
everyone else here on the evolution side realizing that no amount of evidence and logic and reason is going to work with him.
I stopped bothering a while ago.

In fact, the change in tone of my posts should be a clear indication of such.
All I am doing now is seeing how long this already dead thread can be kept alive on bull **** parades (logicians posts) and wise arse remarks (my posts).

Last edited by a moderator:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I've seen no refutaion whatsover of post 174.
You still have far to many ignored posts to get caught up on for any of us to bother.
You whine like a ***** in heat when your posts are ignored, but have no problems ignoring other peoples posts.

hypocrite much?

You act more and more like Fatihah with each post.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
...but I don't believe...
STOP THE PRESSES!!
Logician is about to make another announcement as what Christians are and are not to believe!!!

Call the radio stations!!
Contact the newspapers!!!

Remember folks, you heard it here on the internet first!!!

crystalonyx

STOP THE PRESSES!!
Logician is about to make another announcement as what Christians are and are not to believe!!!

Contact the newspapers!!!​

Remember folks, you heard it here on the internet first!!!​

Why does this concern you?

Erebus

One question, how can you believe in sonething, if you don't know what it is.

I like to know what I'm believing or not believing in.

I believe in electricity, atoms and soundwaves too, I'm not entirely sure what they are though.

crystalonyx

Please see post #221.

Thank you.

As far as I can tell, you seem to be talking to youself.

I doubt if any of the Christians on here will be heavily influenced by any supposed evagelizing by some member, although I didn't see it.

Christians do tell others how to believe 24/7 on the tube, do you have a problem with that?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
As far as I can tell, you seem to be talking to youself.
Really?
Yet here you are posting in reply to my posts....

What an amazing thing..

I doubt if any of the Christians on here will be heavily influenced by any supposed evagelizing by some member, although I didn't see it.
huh?

Christians do tell others how to believe 24/7 on the tube, do you have a problem with that?
Nope.
not one bit.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
1. yes, Mr. Obvious.

2. Say what?

3. Seems like a very hypocritcal position..Or illogical. Take your pick.
It is not illogical or hypocritical at all. It is actually very logical, as those Christians on the "tube" are what others would consider leaders within the church. They supposedly have more understanding and thus can guide other Christians.

crystalonyx

It is not illogical or hypocritical at all. It is actually very logical, as those Christians on the "tube" are what others would consider leaders within the church. They supposedly have more understanding and thus can guide other Christians.

No ,it isn't,. He is accusing someoneo here of evangelizing(which they aren't), while saying it'a all right for a religion to mass evanglize 24/7 to anyone they want, telling them to believe anything they want.

That's hypocritical and illogical.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
No ,it isn't,. He is accusing someoneo here of evangelizing(which they aren't),

Really?
Who?
When?
Or are you talking about my calling out logician's moving the goal posts by trying to dictate to Christians what they are and not supposed to believe based solely on what does and does not help his argument?

while saying it'a all right for a religion to mass evanglize 24/7 to anyone they want, telling them to believe anything they want.
Actually, the only thing I was about was logician trying to stack the deck.
Personally, seeing as I am not a Christian, I could care less what they tell each other.
I could care less what logician tells christian.
At least, until he tries dictating their beliefs for no other reason than to better suit his argument.

What is?
Calling out logician?

here you lose me.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
No ,it isn't,. He is accusing someoneo here of evangelizing(which they aren't), while saying it'a all right for a religion to mass evanglize 24/7 to anyone they want, telling them to believe anything they want.

I believe he only stated that logician was telling Christians what they believe. He didn't accuse him of evangelizing. The thing that was said, by various people here, is that logician is trying to dictate what a Christian can believe in order to make his argument fit. He is telling Christians what they can and can not believe. He is doing so just to fit his argument.

A TV evangelist does something else. They do not dictate what one must believe. They inform the Christian public what they believe is the Christian way. They are doing something very different from what logician is being accused off. Especially considering that logician is simply doing so, from an atheist perspective, to fit his own agenda, as in proving a point that he can't prove.

A

angellous_evangellous

Uh, many people were murdered in the bible(including at the hand of a supposed god), does that make murder compatible with Christianity?

There's all kinds of wickedness and "strange" occurances mentioned in the bible, does that make all of them compatible with Christianity? Modern Christianity was basically created at the Council of Nicea, where the APOSTLE'S CREED was adopted. Belief in ghosts was a separate tradition entirely,.

:p:p:p

logician

STOP THE PRESSES!!

Contact the newspapers!!!​

Remember folks, you heard it here on the internet first!!!​

Your rants and raves are duly noted.
(Dumping in file G).

logician

Don’t worry too much about Mestemia, his posts are like a flies buzzing around your head, all annoyance, and no substance, you have to keep swatting them down.

logician

Speaking of swatting,

From the dictionary

Compatible
"capable of existing together in harmony"

According to the most recent gallop poll 32 percent of Americans believe in ghosts, of course, making the percentage very close to the same for Christians
Incidentlly, the 2000 census numbers show that only 56.6 percent of the people of the U.S.Self-identify as Christians, down from 60.9 percent in 1990. This is a far cry from the 70 percent erroneously reported before. Also, the “strict adherence” percentage is 47 percent, making it not even a majority of the population.

On to the show.

If approximately 32 percent of Christians believe in ghosts, that makes it a MINORITY belief like I’ve said all along. Thus, the MAINSTREAM of Christianity finds that belief in ghosts is incompatible(not harmonius) with their beliefs like I’ve said all along. Neither side is right or wrong (in principal), that’s just the stats.

No evangelizing here, just numbers.

In the immortal words of JIGSAW

GAME OVER.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
That isn't very logical. Just because the mainstream Christianity do not except something does not make it incompatible. You have to try better then that.

Oh, and you've never shown that 32% of Christians believe in ghosts. You showed, according to your polls, that 32% of Americans believe in ghosts. As we both will agree that 100% of Americans are not Christians, the 32% can not be used.

Then, by your logic, speaking in tongues, which is practiced by a minority, yet contested in the Bible, is incompatible. However, to state such would actually be illogical.

logician

1That isn't very logical. Just because the mainstream Christianity do not except something does not make it incompatible. You have to try better then that.

2.Oh, and you've never shown that 32% of Christians believe in ghosts. You showed, according to your polls, that 32% of Americans believe in ghosts. As we both will agree that 100% of Americans are not Christians, the 32% can not be used.

3.Then, by your logic, speaking in tongues, which is practiced by a minority, yet contested in the Bible, is incompatible. However, to state such would actually be illogical.

1. This is quite laughable, you've given almost the exact definitioon of what makes something incmpatible. Read for comprehension, I don't believe in angels because it is incompatible (not harmonius) with my belief system). LIkewise, Christians who don't believe in ghosts feel that belief is incompatible (inharmonious) with their belief system. There may be many reasons why they don't believe in ghosts, but the bottom line is they don't think the belief is compatible. Christians that do believe in ghosts have come to the conclusion it is compatible with their belief system. Neither side is wrong or right, it's just the way they feel.

2. Actually, I think I'm being generous here. If 32 percent of AMericans believe in ghosts, then for most large subsets of the population the same approximate percentage will hold true. Considering that the official "hierarchy" of most churches looks dimly on ghost belief, if anything, the percentage might be smaller for Christians.

3.Speaking in tongues is VERY incompatible(inharmonius) with mainstream Christian belief, (try it some time in a Presbyterian church and see what happens), I don't think you understand the definition.