• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is belief in ghosts compatible with the Christian faith, or other religions?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
So you admit that the belief in ghosts can be compatible with Christianity.

And I fully well know what incompatible means. What you're showing simply is not that.

logician

So you admit that the belief in ghosts can be compatible with Christianity.

And I fully well know what incompatible means. What you're showing simply is not that.

It seems you haven't been reading my posts, I am saying belief in ghosts is incompatible with MAINSTREAM Christianity, which it is - they don't believe in them.

According to your illogic, a case could equally be for the reverse of the argument - that belief in ghosts is incompatible with all of Christianity, and that believers in ghosts are going against the grain.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
It seems you haven't been reading my posts, I am saying belief in ghosts is incompatible with MAINSTREAM Christianity, which it is - they don't believe in them.

According to your illogic, a case could equally be for the reverse of the argument - that belief in ghosts is incompatible with all of Christianity, and that believers in ghosts are going against the grain.
Your original argument is that the belief in ghosts was incompatible with Christianity. There was no mention of "mainstream" in your original argument. You then switched your argument to deal with "mainstream" Christianity which you haven't defined.

Also, you have never shown that it was incompatible to begin with. You have never shown where Christianity states that one can not believe in ghosts. There is no doctrine in Christianity that claims one can not believe in ghosts. There is nothing in the Bible that says one can not believe in ghosts. There is nothing in the Christian religion that says one can not believe in ghosts.

logician

1.Your original argument is that the belief in ghosts was incompatible with Christianity. There was no mention of "mainstream" in your original argument. You then switched your argument to deal with "mainstream" Christianity which you haven't defined.

2.Also, you have never shown that it was incompatible to begin with. You have never shown where Christianity states that one can not believe in ghosts. There is no doctrine in Christianity that claims one can not believe in ghosts. There is nothing in the Bible that says one can not believe in ghosts. There is nothing in the Christian religion that says one can not believe in ghosts.

You confuse "possible" with "compatible". Just because the gospels mention a supposed Jesus comparing himself to a spirit, does not mean he meant that spirit was from a haunted house roaminbg the earth. He meant "spirit" the way Christians do, as having gone to heaven after death. He certainly gave no tacit "approval" or even mention of belief of ghosts in haunted houses or roaming the earth - that's you're own interpretation. And because someihing is mentioned in the bible doesn't mean it's automatically "compatible" with any current beliefs.

I think it's been shown irrefutably that belief in ghosts is INCOMPATIBLE with
Mainstream Christianity. :beach:

Draka

Wonder Woman
in·com·pat·i·ble (nkm-pt-bl)
adj.
1. Incapable of associating or blending or of being associated or blended because of disharmony, incongruity, or antagonism: incompatible views on religion.
2. Impossible to be held simultaneously by one person: the incompatible offices of prosecutor and judge.
3. Logic That cannot be simultaneously true; mutually exclusive.
4. Medicine
a. Producing an undesirable effect when used in combination with a particular substance: a medication that is incompatible with alcohol.
b. Not immunologically compatible: incompatible blood types.

Main Entry: in·com·pat·i·ble
Pronunciation: \ˌin-kəm-ˈpa-tə-bəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Medieval Latin incompatibilis, from Latin in- + Medieval Latin compatibilis compatible
Date: 15th century

1 : incapable of being held by one person at one time —used of offices that make conflicting demands on the holder
2 : not compatible: as a : incapable of association or harmonious coexistence <incompatible colors> b : unsuitable for use together because of undesirable chemical or physiological effects <incompatible drugs> c : not both true <incompatible propositions> d : incapable of blending into a stable homogeneous mixture

Wiki said:
Christianity regards the Bible, a collection of canonical books in two parts (the Old Testament and the New Testament), as the authoritative word of God. It is believed by Christians to have been written by human authors under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and therefore for many it is held to be the inerrant word of God

Chris·ti·an·i·ty (krsch-n-t, krst-) KEY

NOUN:
The Christian religion, founded on the life and teachings of Jesus.
Christians as a group; Christendom.
The state or fact of being a Christian.
pl. Chris·ti·an·i·ties A particular form or sect of the Christian religion: the Christianities of antiquity.

Christianity: Definition from Answers.com

Now, since incompatible means it is impossible to have a certain two things going at once...AND your original argument was that belief in ghosts was incompatible with Christianity (not "mainstream Christianity" or however you now want to redefine the parameters) AND whether or not someone believes has nothing to do with if something is logically compatible or not AND definitions of Christianity all claim basis in the bible AND definitions and descriptions of Christianity do not all state that one cannot believe in ghosts AND ghosts are outright mentioned in both the old and new testements (which make up the bible which has already been shown to be the basis of Christianity and held to be the "word of god") THEN it logically follows that a belief in ghosts is a compatible belief to the religion of Christianity. NOTE: whether or not "most" Christians do or do not believe in said ghosts has no bearing on whether or not the belief is logically compatible, which it is.

Now, go ahead and flounder and stomp your feet and move your goalposts yets again in order to keep up your great job of doing this :ignore:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
You confuse "possible" with "compatible". Just because the gospels mention a supposed Jesus comparing himself to a spirit, does not mean he meant that spirit was from a haunted house roaminbg the earth. He meant "spirit" the way Christians do, as having gone to heaven after death. He certainly gave no tacit "approval" or even mention of belief of ghosts in haunted houses or roaming the earth - that's you're own interpretation. And because someihing is mentioned in the bible doesn't mean it's automatically "compatible" with any current beliefs.

I think it's been shown irrefutably that belief in ghosts is INCOMPATIBLE with
Mainstream Christianity. :beach:
That is really your argument? Why would he even mention that ghosts or spirits or anything could haunt a house? Does that even need to be stated? Of course not. Haunting a house is not the only thing a ghost could do.

And how do you define ghost? Is it not true that ghosts and spirits can be interchangeable? Of course they are. Again, you've proven nothing that you can make a ridiculous argument.

logician

1.That is really your argument? Why would he even mention that ghosts or spirits or anything could haunt a house? Does that even need to be stated? Of course not. Haunting a house is not the only thing a ghost could do.

And how do you define ghost? Is it not true that ghosts and spirits can be interchangeable? Of course they are. Again, you've proven nothing that you can make a ridiculous argument.

1.You keep repeating the same old tired baseless arguments, of course something would need to be said about "earthly spirits" by Jesus to give it any legitimacy at all. As it is, the only spiritual realm that can be assumed is the one he implies, the heavenly one, not the haunted house one.

2. There is no point here.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
1.You keep repeating the same old tired baseless arguments, of course something would need to be said about "earthly spirits" by Jesus to give it any legitimacy at all. As it is, the only spiritual realm that can be assumed is the one he implies, the heavenly one, not the haunted house one.

2. There is no point here.
That is different from your responses how?

Again, have you shown any evidence what so ever that the Christian religion states that belief in ghosts is incompatible? The answer is no.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Don’t worry too much about Mestemia, his posts are like a flies buzzing around your head, all annoyance, and no substance, you have to keep swatting them down.
That's ok logician.
I already know that you have to move your goal posts to keep your argument alive.

The real question is... did you actually learn anything, or are you still trying to blow smoke up every ones arse?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Christianity: Definition from Answers.com

Now, since incompatible means it is impossible to have a certain two things going at once...AND your original argument was that belief in ghosts was incompatible with Christianity (not "mainstream Christianity" or however you now want to redefine the parameters) AND whether or not someone believes has nothing to do with if something is logically compatible or not AND definitions of Christianity all claim basis in the bible AND definitions and descriptions of Christianity do not all state that one cannot believe in ghosts AND ghosts are outright mentioned in both the old and new testements (which make up the bible which has already been shown to be the basis of Christianity and held to be the "word of god") THEN it logically follows that a belief in ghosts is a compatible belief to the religion of Christianity. NOTE: whether or not "most" Christians do or do not believe in said ghosts has no bearing on whether or not the belief is logically compatible, which it is.

Now, go ahead and flounder and stomp your feet and move your goalposts yets again in order to keep up your great job of doing this :ignore:
Careful, you will be accused of being all annoyance and no substance.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I think it's been shown irrefutably that belief in ghosts is INCOMPATIBLE with Mainstream Christianity. :beach:
That is only because you are easily impressed with your own bull ****.
Of course, you have to ignore the posts that show you're wrong.
But at least you admit it.

jtartar

Hello,
There are many opinions, almost as many as there are people. This presents a great problem when trying to find the truth of anything. Whom do you listen to???
Happily true Christians are not in this quandry, we have the only source of information that is always accurrate, God's word, The Holy Bible. Shouldn't we search to see what the Bible says about spirits, or demons or any other problem we encounter???
The Bible is very clear about demons. They are fallen angels, they are now Satan's angels, Rev 12:9, Jude 6.
These are very different from what many people believe to be spirits of people who have lived on earth. In order to understand if it is possible for a spirit to live independently of the body, we must understand exactly what death is.
When God created Adam. the scriptures say that God formed him from the dust of the ground, then breathed into him the breath of life, and the man BECAME A LIVING SOUL, Gen 2:7. Notice that Adam was not given a soul, he became a soul after God breathed into him the breath of life. notice Gen 2:17, where God told Adam that if he ate of the tree of knowledge he would die, Gen 3:19 explains what would happen to Adam and Eve, they would return to the dust from where they came. There was nothing about Adam in existence before he was created. After death he would again cease to exist, Job 14:1,2.
Actually the term for soul, in Hebrew, is nephesh, which means a breather. This term nephesh, is used for all breathing animals, not just mankind.
Interesting is what is written at Ecc 3:18-20. Here we read that mankind is just like the beast, they have the same spirit, and the both return to the dust when they die. Anything other that that is VANITY.
Positive proof that no soul or spirit of a once living person can exist and be able to do or know anything is recorded at Ecc 9:5,6, 10. These scriptures tells us that a person who has died has no thought or knowledge or anything else. They have NOTHING to do with anything that is to be done.
Notice Job 14:21, which tells us about a man who has died. He knows nothing about the accomplishments of even his son.
Ps 6:5 tells us that in death there is no mention of even God. If a person is in heaven would he not be praising God continually??? A similar thought is recorded at Ps 115:17.
Ps 146:3,4 tells us that when a man dies his thoughts perish. This makes it impossible for a man to be either rewarded or punished.
Something Jesus said is telling, John 3:13. Jesus said that NO MAN had ascended to heaven. Acts 2:34 says that even David a friend of God, did not ascend to heaven. Exactly who would then go to heaven, if God's very best people did not???

logician

That's ok logician.
I already know that you have to move your goal posts to keep your argument alive.

The real question is... did you actually learn anything, or are you still trying to blow smoke up every ones arse?

The real question is, why do you care, you said yourself you're only here to post wisecracks, why don't you start a thread on that?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The real question is, why do you care, you said yourself you're only here to post wisecracks, why don't you start a thread on that?
Because I am bored and you refuse to accept defeat.
Thus the reason for all of your goal post moving.

crystalonyx

You're right, I think his presence here is merely to annoy.

From the scriptures that have been posted in the NT I don't see any that really give any "approval" of earthly ghost belieiving , or really even refer to it directly. It seems some confuse demonology with ghost belief, but they are 2 separate things. I know churches in the last 2 decades have put the brakes on Halloween parties etc because they don't want to be associated with that kind of thing any more, so I would say belief in ghosts is definitely on the outs in Christianity.

Draka

Wonder Woman

From the scriptures that have been posted in the NT I don't see any that really give any "approval" of earthly ghost belieiving , or really even refer to it directly. It seems some confuse demonology with ghost belief, but they are 2 separate things. I know churches in the last 2 decades have put the brakes on Halloween parties etc because they don't want to be associated with that kind of thing any more, so I would say belief in ghosts is definitely on the outs in Christianity.

Moses was a demon? :eek:

And why do so many want to throw out the OT when it doesn't serve their purposes but quote it when it does? Why are the ten commandments, and original sin, Noah and the flood, and creation all Christian beliefs but suddenly it's time to ignore the ghost of Samuel being brought forward along with other ghosts?

crystalonyx

Moses was a demon? :eek:

And why do so many want to throw out the OT when it doesn't serve their purposes but quote it when it does? Why are the ten commandments, and original sin, Noah and the flood, and creation all Christian beliefs but suddenly it's time to ignore the ghost of Samuel being brought forward along with other ghosts?

Didn't Jesus say to throw out the old law? I don't think the OT is a representation of Christianity at all, including the god it presents.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

Christian churches have been throwing out Halloween because they do believe in ghosts, and witches and the such and don't want to be associated with it. They don't want their kids being mixed up with that sort of stuff.

It is the same reason why Christians had such a problem with Harry Potter. Many fully believe in witches and the like and consider them extremely evil; so evil that they want to protect their children from them.