• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is belief in ghosts compatible with the Christian faith, or other religions?

logician

I believe in ghosts myself. I'm not entirely sure what they are though.

From a Christian point of view, I know that some Catholics believe ghosts are images of people in purgatory, some Christians believe that ghosts are in fact demons and others believe that Hell is in fact Earth and that Ghosts are the spirits of people in Hell.

NONE of these are mainstream beliefs, though, WAY off the chart.

Erebus

NONE of these are mainstream beliefs, though, WAY off the chart.

I never said they were :shrug:

Going strictly by the Bible, Christian men should never shave or get tattoos, but plenty do. Religion inevitably evolves and fragments over time, something that I for one am very grateful for. I'd much rather a Christian believe in ghosts than follow the command "suffer not the witch to live."

logician

I never said they were :shrug:

Going strictly by the Bible, Christian men should never shave or get tattoos, but plenty do. Religion inevitably evolves and fragments over time, something that I for one am very grateful for. I'd much rather a Christian believe in ghosts than follow the command "suffer not the witch to live."

I personally do not believe in ghosts or any paranormal phenomenon, as nothing ever has been proven scientifically, in either realm. Shows like Ghosthunters are crass commercializatons that are an insult to any thinking person's intelligence.

I have no problem with others believing in ghosts, of course, like religion, to each his own.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
At least I make aguments, all you make is confetti.
Yet your "arguments" have been refuted, debunked, and shown to be just plain flat out wrong.

But hey, at least you presented arguments, right?

You don't talk a lot, do you?
What is the point?
I mean honestly, what is the point?

You simply ignore everything that shows you are just plain out out wrong.
Why repeat it ad nauseum just for you to ignore it ad nauseum?

I see everyone is ignoring post 196, too much over your head it seems.
So following this logic the posts you ignored were too much over your head?
Thank you for that insight.

Perhaps we can send out fliers to let everyone know to seriously dumb down their posts when presenting arguments to you.

Perhaps if they dumb it down far enough, you won't flat out ignore them?

Last edited by a moderator:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
So now it's not Christianity, it's mainstream Christianity then huh? Must be quite convenient that you can just keep switching what you are actually talking about. So what constitutes mainstream Christianity now?

logician

I believe in ghosts myself. I'm not entirely sure what they are though.

From a Christian point of view, I know that some Catholics believe ghosts are images of people in purgatory, some Christians believe that ghosts are in fact demons and others believe that Hell is in fact Earth and that Ghosts are the spirits of people in Hell.

One question, how can you believe in sonething, if you don't know what it is.

I like to know what I'm believing or not believing in.

logician

The simple fact, I have more than proven my point in spades. The "opposition" seens to have some fixation on a belief in ghosts, or mainstream Christians can believe anything they want, or can't stand to lose an argument, which are just distractions. The fact is belief in ghosts is not common amongst mainstream Christians, and never will be.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The simple fact, I have more than proven my point in spades. The "opposition" seens to have some fixation on a belief in ghosts, or mainstream Christians can believe anything they want, or can't stand to lose an argument, which are just distractions. The fact is belief in ghosts is not common amongst mainstream Christians, and never will be.
You are going to hurt your back moving them there goal posts like that.

I wonder how many logical fallacies you have tried in this here thread.
Moving the goal posts, appeal to numbers.....

logician

I have made a perfect analogy in comparing baptism beliefs and belief in ghosts as far as compatability issues are concerned. The other side believes more in personal attacks and rants, than logic, however, so I doubt they will even acknowledge the obvious comparison.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I have made a perfect analogy in comparing baptism beliefs and belief in ghosts as far as compatability issues are concerned. The other side believes more in personal attacks and rants, than logic, however, so I doubt they will even acknowledge the obvious comparison.
*yawns*

Draka

Wonder Woman
Wow, he's really serious. I was hoping that he wasn't. That this was all a sort of play to mock how stupid creationist arguments are because he's using every tactic a creationist does. Ignores all the evidence, keeps repeating himself, changes the topic and goalposts more than once, and posts stuff that has nothing to do with the topic yet insisting that it does. First he says one thing, that a particular belief isn't compatible with christianity, and then when he's proven wrong he switches tracks to saying that it's not a "mainstream" belief, which has absolutely nothing to do with whether something is compatible or not. This never-ending downward spiral of nonsense has taken on an evolution vs creation stupidity tone. Logician playing the role of the stubborn creationist refusing to see the evidence and proof that he is wrong, and everyone else here on the evolution side realizing that no amount of evidence and logic and reason is going to work with him. Really is best to not even bother anymore all. It's like beating a dead horse.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I've seen no refutaion whatsover of post 174.

In your own words...is that the best you can do? It's an interpretation. That's all. Others may interpret that passage differently. Since it can be interpreted differently, and it can reference that Jesus was acknowledging the existence of ghosts, it would make ghosts a compatible belief. Interpretation, interpretation, interpretation. You are merely looking for interpretations that agree with you. Not all do. Therefore, those that disagree can be just as valid as those that agree. The bible is interpreted in many ways. Some of those ways take the passages that mention and refer to ghosts and take them at face value...that ghosts exist.

Why am I doing this? Why I am explaining this to you? It's not like you listen or understand or anything.

logician

Well, mainstream Christians do believe in the HOLY ghost, but I don't believe that qualifies as a "roaming the earth" type ghost.