• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is consciousness physical or nonphysical?

Is consciousness physical or nonphysical?

• physical

• nonphysical

• neither

• both

• other

• it all depends

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.

outhouse

Atheistically
Then you have no epistemic justification for asserting that consciousness is physical

Actually the only evidence that exist is for consciousness existing only in the brain.

There is no evidence of any aspect existing outside the brain.

Deidre

We shouldn't redefine consciousness though in order to quantify it, and place it in the physical realm. Science doesn't know everything, and it's ok to admit that when it comes to consciousness.

Gambit

It depends. If you mean "consciousness" as in the opposite of being unconscious or "knocked out," then I'd say it's physical (neurological). If referring to one's conscience or moral compass, then not physical.

This still requires some type of interaction dualism.

Gambit

Whatever polls may say, it doesn't move us any closer to a resolving the question. But such a answer must begin with another question: what function was consciousness intended to play within the human condition?

That's not the question I posed in the OP.

Gambit

We are spiritual entities. As such, we are pure consciousness. But we (our consciousness) is isolated from the spirit and we reside in our brains. By doing so, we feel the hold on the body through muscle tension. This is the only thing that actually creates the 'physical'. And also by doing this we lose ~99% of our actual conscious awareness.

What is the only thing that actually creates the 'physical'?

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
We shouldn't redefine consciousness though in order to quantify it, and place it in the physical realm. Science doesn't know everything, and it's ok to admit that when it comes to consciousness.

I like the idea of redefining consciousness actually. I think it would elliminate a lot of confusion and metaphysical mumbo jumbo associated with the word.

My definition of consciousness would go something like this: The cumulative effect of multiple complex physical interactions within the brain.

Gambit

I am pretty sure you are able to "detect" your own thoughts and emotions when those properties arise.

Physical properties are objective, not subjective. That's the difference between a physical property and a mental property. That's why physics is not the same as psychology.

Gambit

Consciousness deals with awareness. How do we become aware? Through our senses which is then processed in the brain. Consciousness is definitely a product of the physical world.

Sensory perception is not the only type of perception.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Metaphysical in the literal meaning of the word? That it is "beyond the physical?"
Is there a difference between physical and non-physical (energy/mass)? And is there a difference between existence and non-existence (virtual particles)? I do not think science has answered that.

Last edited:

Gambit

We can.

Answers to questions can be seen in the brain, before the test subject even knows the answer.

I suspect you are referring to Libet's experiments which are often cited by skeptics to discredit free will. However they do not involve the measurement of consciousness itself. If we could measure consciousness, then we should be able to tell me whether a bacterium is conscious.

Last edited:

shawn001

Gambit

While the base of "I" is a brain and complexed neurochemical reaction, "I" am an abstract awareness that is biologically unnecessary for biological functioning. "I" am also very curious as to how I "really" even got here in the first place. Curious thing, how did I become "me" and not someone else? Or why wasn't "I" born in the past? In the future?

I think you have something there. But you need to work out some of the finer details.