• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is feminism still needed in the U.S.

Me Myself

Back to my username
:facepalm: It's a female centric word for a female centric movement and no it does not mean we only care about women, simply that we focus on issues that primarily effect women. Just because you put your focus on something doesn't mean that is all you care about. To claim otherwise is disingenuous, facetious, and frankly VERY insulting.

BTW, as a writer I do very much recognize the importance of names, however I also recognize that the substance and character of something is far more important than the name alone could ever hope to be and that getting hung up on the name ignores the vital essence of what is in front of you.

If it makes you feel better you can call feminism a branch of humanism since both have equality in mind, the only difference is that one is general while the other is more focused.

Now can we please move on from the word itself and focus instead on the actual movement, or shall we continue ignoring the actual issues before us in favor of pointlessly debating semantics?

Yu say you understand the power of words and then pretend the argument is pointless.

I said it many times already, I know what it means, but the word is telling a contradicting story than its chosen concept.

"Feminism" doesnt talk simply on a focus but on a worldview, on a matter of importance. Again, I am not talking about the concept, I am talking about the word.

The brand you are using to propagate a message or a cause. Racism means race is the most important thing to see when it comes to people, sexism says sex is, agnosticism talks about a knowledge being impossible, atheism about god not existing, humanism about caring first and foremost about humans, absurdism about everything being absurd, etc.

We see it again and again, is isms are worldviews when used on that way. If you use them in art you would say "I am an impresionist" sure, and that will be your approach to art, you make impresisonist art, but do we really need your approach to equality to be centered around women? For course not

Tere is a difference (and an extremely important one) between having most of your actions being centered around equal rights for women, and having your whole belief system of gender equality being centered aroundd women. The first is desirable, and weeed many people with that approach to terminate existing very real problems. The second one is dangerous, and we cant have it any more than having a male centered approach on matters of gender equality.

So again(hipefully so you wont misrepresent my position again) I am not saying feminism means women are more important than mean, nor am I saying that you think women are more important. What I am saying is that the word IMPLIES women being more important than men and it does so on an area of gender balance, which is dangerous.

You can disagree with that and we catalk about it, but to the very least understandy position so you can disagree with it.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Then shouldn't they have some sort of written constitution to show what theu actually want?

feminism is not a single homogenious entity. To ask for some written document to define the movement is like asking why christians don't have a single bible translation or set of rules to define them.

Anyone can claim to be a feminist just as anyone can claim to be a christian, it's called free speech. However you shouldn't expect anyone to take your claim of being christian seriously if you go around claiming jesus is satan just as you shouldn't expect anyone to take you claim of being a feminist seriously if you also go around claiming that men should be slaves and women should be in charge of everything.

Alceste

Vagabond
I guess I most be a secert feminist then eh?(It would be a better world if people could get along with each other).

If you think it would be better if the world did not require a movement like feminism to establish equal rights and privileges as well as bodily autonomy for women, then yes, you are a feminist. No need to keep it a secret. :) As a feminist, there's no reason you can't get along with others.

Alceste

Vagabond
why are people getting so hung up on the name? The whole point of feminism is to focus on equality from the perspective of women because they have so often been treated as lesser beings in society. If Feminism focuses on "women's rights" and "ending injustice towards women" then why in the world is anyone claiming that the term feminism, where fem=female=WOMEN, is a bad term when the term itself focuses on women which is exactly what the movement focuses on? It's completely ludicrous.

And I'm with alceste, the sheer fact that we seem unable to have an intelligent discussion about the issue at hand and that instead most of the 20+ pages consist of people banging on about ugly women and getting all bent out of shape whinning about a ******* WORD rather than focusing on the actual substance, is proof positive that feminism is still very sorely needed and very sorely relevant.

After reading through all the rampant stupidity, trolling, and off-topic posts in this thread I think I would be in favor of a feminism DIR too and will probably suggest it to the mods if someone hasn't beaten me too it. Maybe it will help us stem the tide of idiocy that we've seen here in favor of actual intelligent and ON TOPIC debate where we focus on *gasp* the actual issues instead of getting hung up on a ******* word and running off on tangents about *** and tits.:149::fight::verymad::banghead3

:sad:....:meditate:

/rant

I feel your pain. I suggested it in the members committee forum, but perhaps you'd care to expedite the process with your superior staff powers? :D

I'd absolutely love it.

Me Myself

Back to my username
If you think it would be better if the world did not require a movement like feminism to establish equal rights and privileges as well as bodily autonomy for women, then yes, you are a feminist. No need to keep it a secret. :) As a feminist, there's no reason you can't get along with others.

The world needs the movement, is the brand that is holding it back majorly.

I saw all e videos by now BTW. They talk about equality, a few info extra they just dont talk about the branding.

I did like when in one of them the female speaker says instead of being against "patriarchy" she is against "inequity" . That was a very smart and progressive thought.

Titanic

I agree with you. peace Alceste.

Alceste

Vagabond
The world needs the movement, is the brand that is holding it back majorly.

I saw all e videos by now BTW. They talk about equality, a few info extra they just dont talk about the branding.

I did like when in one of them the female speaker says instead of being against "patriarchy" she is against "inequity" . That was a very smart and progressive thought.

Philosophies don't "brand". They are what they are and they're called what they're called.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Let's play with words that end with ism and find out how many are suspicious:

eroticism
surrealism
herbalism
syllogism
impressionism
stoicism
animism
nudism

Those mean nudists. They just don't care enough about people who wear clothes.

Titanic

Let's play with words that end with ism and find out how many are suspicious:

eroticism
surrealism
herbalism
syllogism
impressionism
stoicism
animism
nudism

Those mean nudists. They just don't care enough about people who wear clothes.

I am a nudist in my on home.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Alceste put it better and more succinctly than I could. Feminism is not a bussiness or an organization, it's a philosophy, a philosophy that says women should have the same rights, freedoms, and protections that men currently appreciate.

Titanic

Alceste put it better and more succinctly than I could. Feminism is not a bussiness or an organization, it's a philosophy, a philosophy that says women should have the same rights, freedoms, and protections that men currently appreciate.

I agree even though my avatar pic might make me seem bad as a man.

Me Myself

Back to my username

Thats exactly the problem.

Feminism as a word doesnt say that. It gives more importance to women. If the philosophy is equality the name is bad branding.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Hmm. I wanna see some of these organizations they've made myself. What are some you reccommend?

Some feminist organizations? Or non profits and social justice organizations which were founded by self identified feminists, women and men who were motivated by the feminist movement? Or just organizations where feminists work and actively make a difference?

Here are a couple in the first category: feminist majority foundation, women's environmental and development association, womens refugee commission

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Thats exactly the problem.

Feminism as a word doesnt say that. It gives more importance to women. If the philosophy is equality the name is bad branding.
Shallowness again? You can't judge a book by its cover.