• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is feminism still needed in the U.S.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It's a simple question.

I asked you first about your link's sources. And I gave a single case that is considered by Congress to urge them toward minimizing the wage gap that has existed. I have at least one bit of evidence on my end of the argument. So where's yours?

Pagan_Patriot

All I asked you was if there really is wealth inequality. Now is there or not. I've never seen a girl talk about getting paid less than a guy. You know why? Because it's never happened.

Now, do women get paid less than a man for the same job and the same amount of hours or no? Or I'm just going to assume I'm right.

ignition

All I asked you was if there really is wealth inequality. Now is there or not. I've never seen a girl talk about getting paid less than a guy. You know why? Because it's never happened.

Now, do women get paid less than a man for the same job and the same amount of hours or no? Or I'm just going to assume I'm right.
You've got a point, anecdotally speaking, it's pretty hard to find situations where girls get less than boys, every job I worked it's the same pay for same hours. But there might be a few isolated cases, even if there's one example of blatant discrimination, it's worth fighting for.

MD

qualiaphile
Race and socioeconomics matter a lot more. White women have way more power than colored men and women today. Even I have always gotten racially profiled when flying or crossing a border cuz of my name and ethnic background. My friend who's black was cuffed for no reason as a medical student. Ferminism is a cute term for college ideologues but in the real world it's not applicable anymore.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

My link shows that there is still a wage gap that needs to be addressed. So there a wage gap exists for the same work and same hours and same qualifications. I could also ask my mother and many women of her generation to offer their own anecdotes of being passed over for jobs where they were more qualified and had earned seniority. I thought I answered your question before, but there you go in case you missed it.

Now, care to back up your assertion? And the youtube vid's assertions? Where is your evidence?

Last edited:

Question_love_act

Humanist... "Animalist"?
Unfortunately the video depicts the sad fact that even women push for status quo and unquestioning of the gender bias system...

Just like you people said over and over, we needs facts, not anecdotes. It's not because you don't see something that it doesn't exist. An individual's social circles is never a representative sample of the population.

Because now sexism is not as obvious as it was before, but it's insidious and that's what makes it harder to fight.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Do they get equal pay for doing the same job for the same amount of hours or no.

No. Here is an article that does not rely on the median income analysis:

The Gender Wage Gap Differs by Occupation | Center for American Progress

But I am not sure what you are on about? I do not think that the wage gap is a first priority, nor do I think most feminists do. The facts are that the wage gap was steadily decreasing and has slowed or stalled. my personal opinion is this is not do to overt sexism. No one I know has ever said "I am going to pay her less because she is female" however a male might be recognized more for their leadership than a female. another factor is what we reach our children, why are so few girls going into hard sciences or math? You see, the issues are all compounded and complex. I will try to find the study.on wage negotiation also. This study breaks down the differences wage negotiation between sex and race.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Feminism criminalized alcohol, and directly following the granting of women's suffrage was the Great Depression. Coincidence? I think not!

I'm totally kidding, before anybody gets all "feminazi" on me...

Volodya

This has come up in a few threads I've been spying on so I thought I'd give it its own thread. So basically do you feel that feminism as a movement is still needed in the united states? Why or why not?

It's not needed anymore, because wage levels are the same for men and women, as are rights etc..

Men and women are already equal.

Alceste

Vagabond

Yes, there is an average fifteen percent wage gap even after ensuring that exactly the same jobs and hours are being compared.

I hope that answers your question. Feel free to fact check me on google scholar if you're skeptical.

Volodya

What kind of jobs are we talking about here though?

AFAIK, places that advertise wage rates never have a two tier system, eg: Burger King etc..

And how about waitresses, they usually earn MORE in tips than men - now that is discrimination right from the off!

Volodya

Don't think I feel like reading 46 pages right now, but can you give me some examples of where women are paid worse for the same job? - thanks

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Let's just say places like North America, Western Europe, Australia etc..

Are you referring to any specific studies when you say that men's and women's wages are equal today, or that men and women have equality in general?

Volodya

Not specific studies, just a whole lot of life experience.

for instance, I've never worked a job where there have been dual wage rates - have you, and if so, where?

Men and women DO have equality in general - why do you think they don't?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Not specific studies, just a whole lot of life experience.

for instance, I've never worked a job where there have been dual wage rates - have you, and if so, where?

Men and women DO have equality in general - why do you think they don't?

I have worked plenty of jobs with pay ranges. Surprised you haven't. But then there is also movement within the company and raised. In fact, come to think of it, I have only worked one or two jobs where everyone was paid the same.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Don't think I feel like reading 46 pages right now, but can you give me some examples of where women are paid worse for the same job? - thanks

Well I believe that I quoted you saying they were equal, but you can head back one or two pages to where several of us replies to pagan patriot's video. I listed an article, mystic listed a specific example, or you could look up the scholarly.research. Either way there are plenty of examples.