• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God A Bully?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
All happening internally. You are the house of God.

While that is your belief, obviously the others don't believe that. They try to use mistranslated/misunderstood verses against other people.

EDIT - Forgot to add - since you believe this is all inner. What is the inner reason for the patriarchal tossing of women to the dogs, - to be raped and murdered?

Last edited:

JustHappy

We actually find YHVH using YADA (Gen 18:21) when he says he is going down to ascertain and judge, and pronounce judgment. That is the way he is using it in the sentence, - to inquire - and pass judgment. And obviously he isn't saying he is going down for some gay sex. LOL!

Gen 18:21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not,I know.

It makes no sense what so ever for the whole town to angrily surround a house with two strangers - because they want to have sex with them!

It makes perfect sense for them to have somehow found out that the two have been sent to "YADA" perceive/judge and pass judgment, and then angrily gather the whole city, to drag them out to turn the tables, and "yada" judge/pass judgment - kill - them first.

We have a second story that is almost exactly the same - and uses yada - BUT - they tell us what it means in this story.

Jdg 19:21 So he brought him into his house, and gave provender unto the asses: and they washed their feet, and did eat and drink.

Jdg 19:22 Now as they were making their hearts merry, behold, the men of the city, certain sons of Belial, beset the house round about, and beat at the door, and spake to the master of the house, the old man, saying, Bring forth the man that came into thine house, that we may know him.

Jdg 20:3 (Now the children of Benjamin heard that the children of Israel were gone up to Mizpeh.) Then said the children of Israel, Tell us, what was this wickedness?

Jdg 20:4 And the Levite, the husband of the woman that was slain, answered and said, I came into Gibeah that belongeth to Benjamin, I and my concubine, to lodge.

Jdg 20:5 And the men of Gibeah rose against me, and beset the house round about upon me by night, and thought to have slain me: and my concubine have they forced, that she is dead.

Not have sex with him, - KILL HIM!

There really are no verses against homosexuals in the Bible. There are verses against Sacred Sex.

It's nice that you don't quote further Jdg 19:23-25:

23 And the man, the master of the house,
went out unto them, and said unto them:
'Nay, my brethren, I pray you, do not so
wickedly; seeing that this man is come
into my house, do not this wanton deed.
24 Behold, here is my daughter a virgin,
and his concubine; I will bring them out
now, and humble ye them, and do with
them what seemeth good unto you; but
unto this man do not so wanton a thing.
25 But the men would not hearken to
him; so the man laid hold on his
concubine, and brought her forth unto
them; and they knew her, and abused her
all the night until the morning; and when
the day began to spring, they let her go.

I believe it's clear that in this context with "yada" or "know" is meant to have sex. Of course it's raping someone and even killing the person at the end in this case, but still it means having sexual contact, not just killing.

By reasoning about the law of Moses it should become clear too that homosexuality should be seen as sin in a biblical context. Eventhough it isn't explicitly prohibited.

Unification

While that is your belief, obviously the others don't believe that. They try to use mistranslated/misunderstood verses against other people.

Very true, none of it is supposed to be taken literally and externally or historically. Nothing but oppression and many defending mostly fictional characters, talking snakes, dark sayings/tales/stories/parables/allegories and creating lies, ego's, religion and useless debates and missing the complete spirit and moral behind it. Only profit in debating is to realize how silly it is.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

I believe it's clear that in this context with "yada" or "know" is meant to have sex. Of course it's raping someone and even killing the person at the end in this case, but still it means having sexual contact, not just killing.

By reasoning about the law of Moses it should become clear too that homosexuality should be seen as sin in a biblical context. Eventhough it isn't explicitly prohibited.

PURE BULL!

I told you it was basically the same story.

The YADA is connected to the MAN, - He tells us so, and so does the story, - and we are told what it means - kill!

The patriarchal tossing out of females to placate the crowd - has nothing to do with YADA!

EDIT - Did you forget that YHVH Used it??? Guess he was going down for gay sex!

Gen 18:21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I know.

Last edited:

Unification

One's natural eyes and mind see all outward things. Sex, church buildings, literal, historical, physical things, talking snakes. Destruction, murder, war, etc.

Only destruction, murder, and war going on in all of scripture is a human's struggle internally. God vs human.

To know is knowledge created. A child in scripture is a seed of knowledge impregnated by the mind/heart and stored in the brain. Bad and good knowledge of bad and evil seed which bears "fruit" within. Creates many effects within our bodies and how we outwardly perceive things.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Unification said:
Very true, none of it is supposed to be taken literally and externally or historically. Nothing but oppression and many defending mostly fictional characters, talking snakes, dark sayings/tales/stories/parables/allegories and creating lies, ego's, religion and useless debates and missing the complete spirit and moral behind it. Only profit in debating is to realize how silly it is.

You didn't answer the EDIT. If you believe this is all just inner work - why -

What is the inner reason for the patriarchal tossing of women to the dogs, - to be raped and murdered?

Nerissa

Wanderer
I just don't like god and anything about him.Even as i child i liked the dark side better.I like to be left alone.But god just can't accept that.He wants everyone to believe in him love him.This is just crushing my soul.He is enslaving me.But he knows how to mess with human mind.He starts wars , most inhumane things are in his name.But what can men do against so much pain and hatred?

ps:don't say to me it's not the god's fault it's humans because buddhists are human too but they are very peaciful.The only difference is their religion.

What do you mean when you say you like the dark side better? Because if I understand correctly, the reason you don't want to believe in God is because of his cruelty. Then what do you mean by dark side?

JustHappy

PURE BULL!

I told you it was basically the same story.

The YADA is connected to the MAN, - He tells us so, and so does the story, - and we are told what it means - kill!

The patriarchal tossing out of females to placate the crowd - has nothing to do with YADA!

I don't know if you can read hebrew, but it's all about this word:
וֵַיְּדעוּ
it can be pronounced "yadau", meaning "they know"
It is used both in context of the man they want to "know" and when they "know" the woman all night until the morning.

in the later part the man (who survived by offering the woman) tells the story out of his point of view and tells they intended to kill him, what would be very probable since the woman didn't survive either. In that case they use the words:
אוִֹתי דִּמּוּ לֲַהֹרג
pronounced: awta damu laharag (they kill my blood)

This changes nothing about the fact that the word "yada" is a euphemism for "having sexual contact" (get to know someone) and has no direct link with killing someone.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I don't know if you can read hebrew, but it's all about this word:
וֵַיְּדעוּ
it can be pronounced "yadau", meaning "they know"
It is used both in context of the man they want to "know" and when they "know" the woman all night until the morning.

in the later part the man (who survived by offering the woman) tells the story out of his point of view and tells they intended to kill him, what would be very probable since the woman didn't survive either. In that case they use the words:
אוִֹתי דִּמּוּ לֲַהֹרג
pronounced: awta damu laharag (they kill my blood)

This changes nothing about the fact that the word "yada" is a euphemism for "having sexual contact" (get to know someone) and has no direct link with killing someone.

LOL! I am well aware of the Hebrew. Apparently you are not - as yada has multiple meanings.

Since YHVH uses it in the first story, - we KNOW the way it is being used!

YHVH is not going down for some gay sex fun.

He is going down to judge and Pass Judgment, = destroy the cities.

The people apparently find this out - and decided to grab them, and TURN THE TABLES, - passing judgment on them = killing them, FIRST!

It says absolutely nothing about gay sex in either of those verses, - and they DID have specific words for that act.

Unification

What is the inner reason for the patriarchal tossing of women to the dogs, - to be raped and murdered?

There is good and evil. Knowledge. Masculine and feminine principles, opposites. Clean and unclean. Men and women in scripture aren't literal men and women in scripture.
The child( seed of knowledge) grows and grows... Becoming adults and not literal adults. It's how our brains expand in knowledge. Thoughts, desires, emotions, etc.

When one is separated from God, (a widow) without husband (Lord) ... They are in a conscious state of hell, mentally. Destruction of mind leaves one desolate and empty. . Stressed, depressed, etc.

Women aren't literal women, the unclean/evil seeds need destroyed and murdered.

I don't know why the word "rape" was used in English translation. Study the hebrew word. . Likely means to take hold of or seize, grab onto, have control and dominion over someone.

JustHappy

LOL! I am well aware of the Hebrew. Apparently you are not - as yada has multiple meanings.

Since YHVH uses it in the first story, - we KNOW the way it is being used!

YHVH is not going down for some gay sex fun.

He is going down to judge and Pass Judgment, = destroy the cities.

The people apparently find this out - and decided to grab them, and TURN THE TABLES, - passing judgment on them = killing them, FIRST!

It says absolutely nothing about gay sex in either of those verses, - and they DID have specific words for that act.

Then apparently we have a problem now, since yada doesn't mean killing and it isn't explained like that.
here is a link to the hebrew dictionary: Translation ידע | Morfix Hebrew English Dictionary

It means: to know something, to be aware ; to know how to ; to be familiar with, to undergo ; (flowery) to recognize, to be familiar with

As I said they don't ask the man out just to get to know him, but it is an EUPHEMISM for having intimate contact (sex) with him. Yada certainly doesn't mean killing.

Of course the man fears for his life since he saw what they did with the woman and tells afterwards that they wanted to kill him. But the essence here is that they didn't just want to kill him, but first have sexual contact with him.

And no, I don't think God would destroy a city just for homosexual practices, but it certainly isn't seen as a normal habit, otherwise it wouldn't be pointed out like this.

Unification

It can be as easily said that religion rapes and controls the minds of mankind.
Then apparently we have a problem now, since yada doesn't mean killing and it isn't explained like that.
here is a link to the hebrew dictionary: Translation ידע | Morfix Hebrew English Dictionary

It means: to know something, to be aware ; to know how to ; to be familiar with, to undergo ; (flowery) to recognize, to be familiar with

As I said they don't ask the man out just to get to know him, but it is an EUPHEMISM for having intimate contact (sex) with him. Yada certainly doesn't mean killing.

Of course the man fears for his life since he saw what they did with the woman and tells afterwards that they wanted to kill him. But the essence here is that they didn't just want to kill him, but first have sexual contact with him.

And no, I don't think God would destroy a city just for homosexual practices, but it certainly isn't seen as a normal habit, otherwise it wouldn't be pointed out like this.

Great work on the "yada". To know, knowledge.
Cities, kingdoms, countries, hills, mountains, gates, etc are all metaphors for the world we create within ourselves. If a human has a sick impure sexual behavior, one could say he is a slave to Sodom within his/her body. That kingdom within needs destroyed.

Scripture is spirit and inner, and metaphorical and allegorical. The main reason why all of the divide amongst religions is that they view most literally and outwardly. If it all pertains to within and inside of the human body, which it does...there is no divide.

The bible is a hot mess as it is with wrong english words everywhere and compiled by mankind. The bible is all about knowledge of good and evil, God and the human, internally.

Unification

Cities, kingdoms, countries, hills, mountains, gates, etc are all metaphors for the world we create within ourselves. If a human has a sick impure sexual behavior, one could say he is a slave to Sodom within his/her body. That kingdom within needs destroyed.

Scripture is spirit and inner, and metaphorical and allegorical. The main reason why all of the divide amongst religions is that they view most literally and outwardly. If it all pertains to within and inside of the human body, which it does...there is no divide.

The bible is a hot mess as it is with wrong english words everywhere and compiled by mankind. The bible is all about knowledge of good and evil, God and the human, internally.

Why Noah's created world within was destroyed by the coming of God's light/energy(flood). Not the literal world. Back to the opposites of one clean/one unclean "animal." Not literal animals. Noah entered peace and rest and became "naked" which means to know oneself and be of higher conscious, exposed to the inner self.

Unification

And the monetary value of money in the Hebrew Scriptures isn't literal money.
There is always a price to pay for our actions and we reap what we sew.
We won't escape conscious hell until we've paid every last penny.
The price we pay is always not easy to be of higher conscious, it would mean the destruction of the mind and everything we think we know and our own kingdoms and world's created within destroyed. The ego and reputation wants to hold on.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

And as I said BULL!

We know how it is used in this story as YHVH uses it first, setting the meaning.

Obviously YHVH is using it in the BE AWARE/ASCERTAIN - as the people are calling, - and to undergo judgment - as that is why they are going down, - to DISTROY the cities.

It does not mean gay sex!

Did you miss this section when looking up the word?

"YADA - A primitive root; to know (PROPERLY to ASCERTAIN by SEEING) used in a great variety of senses, figuratively, literally, euphemistically, inferentially (including observation, care, recognition; and CAUSITIVE INSTRUCTION, DESIGNATION, and PUNISHMENT)"

ALSO - obviously it can mean KILL, as that is the PUNISHMENT associated with it from YHVH!

That is how YHVH uses it - and that sets the meaning for the rest of the story.

They do not EVER use the words they had for gay sex. Not even in the other verses telling us what Sodom's sins were!

Last edited:

Unification

And the monetary value of money in the Hebrew Scriptures isn't literal money.
There is always a price to pay for our actions and we reap what we sew.
We won't escape conscious hell until we've paid every last penny.
The price we pay is always not easy to be of higher conscious, it would mean the destruction of the mind and everything we think we know and our own kingdoms and world's created within destroyed. The ego and reputation wants to hold on.

Beautiful storylines of an internal battle between Moses and God. It all is happening internally. Moses ego(Pharoah) holding on at all costs until everything not of God inside of Moses is destroyed. Moses and Pharoah are the same human.
Same with Saul and David. Same human.
Same with the wars between the north and south tribes. (12 cranial nerves surrounding brain).... David United them all (oneness, peace, higher consciousness, love: God).
The house of God, the temple of God, the altar we build, the tabernacle of God... It is YOU and WITHIN. You are holy. Not land. You are the animal in need of sacrificing carnality. The blood is inside a human's body.

JustHappy

I do agree with you in the point that the Bible contains a lot of metaphors and especially translation are most of the time inaccurate. It makes a lot of things clearer if you take a look at the original Hebrew text. At the end God can only be found within your own soul. God is not a materialistic being that we can interact with like with the world around us or with other creatures. The only way is by going deep into our own soul. Still I do think that this world is like the gate to the path of God. In His creation God shows us how mighty and beyond all comprehension He is. It is this world we have to take care of, and it would be a big assault to God if we would lack to do so and only be meditating and thinking and praying all day and if we would neglect our duties towards nature. But the goal should always be to serve our God and make Him happy.

Why Noah's created world within was destroyed by the coming of God's light/energy(flood). Not the literal world. Back to the opposites of one clean/one unclean "animal." Not literal animals. Noah entered peace and rest and became "naked" which means to know oneself and be of higher conscious, exposed to the inner self.
I think in this case you are thinking a bit too metaphorical. It is no secret that God does punish and destroy people who create chaos on this world. He is like a gardener who removes the weed from his garden so the flowers can grow better and make the garden more beautiful. Not only people by the way, also side products of His creation like we could assume He did with the dinosaurs or after the last ice age. Humans only had a chance to develop like they did, because God created for us a relative safe environment without big creatures chasing us all day.

It is interesting that you speak about texts that are "inspired" by God (if you allow me to call it like that). In fact there are many different ways in which God communicates with people. It can by via "inspiration" for example. This means that He causes ideas to pop up in our heads. It seems that we come up with them ourselves, but in fact it is an inspiration of God. There are other ways too though, like dreams, visions and real conversation when God speaks directly with people. In those cases we can speak about a revelation rather than a text just inspired by God. The Bible consists of all those kinds of texts, of what the direct revelations are the parts with most authority. The texts that are just inspired by God are the weakest. The parts you quoted were only of such inspired kind. Therefore I'm not very convinced of your statement that the scripture itself claims that there is no such thing as free will.

About your statement about electron actions within the brain, I have to admit that I don't have enough knowledge of this kind of science to give a real comment on that. I do believe though that it is a good thing to do more research about the brain and how it works. The scriptures are just a guidance for us and help us to understand things we don't have knowledge about. As human knowledge evolves also the scriptures are evolving. They just reveal things, the people of that time could understand and some generations after. Especially in the last 200 years human understanding of phenomena have increased rapidly and on many points have overgrown the simple explanations that can be found in the scriptures. Maybe soon God will come with a new revelation to explain the things people are looking for today, but I don't expect this to be before the nearing establishment of the new Kingdom of God.

If God had wanted to, He could have given guidance to everyone, but this is not the intention of the free will of humans. Why would He have given us a free will, if at the end He would force everybody to take the right decisions? It is a question of faith too. You can compare it with a landlord who owns a land and tells his workers to take good care of the field, while he has to travel away for some time. He doesn't tell exactly when he comes back, but the workers can take their own part of the land and save a part for the landlord to give to him when he comes back. Sometimes he sends a messenger to see how the people take care of the land and remember them that he will come back one day. There are those under the workers that keep remembering their landlord and save a part of what they harvest every year for him. Others though already forget after a year that the land is not theirs, and ask "if there is a landlord to this land, then why isn't he here? why doesn't he show himself to us? why do we only see a messenger sometimes who has no power at all telling about him? they just want to scare us for nothing!". These are the ones that take all harvest for themselves and consume it. But after many years the landlord will come back, and he will have his whole army with him. Those who kept faith in him and saved his part will give it to him, and the landlord will be gratefull to them and gives them even better lands to farm and they will have even better food and a better life. But those who didn't believe the landlord would come back, won't have anything to give him, so the landlord will force them out of his lands with his army and they will starve in the desert outside the fruitfull lands looking for water and food. They will just find enough to stay alive and will have a miserable life and they will regrett that they misused the trust of the landlord who let them stay in his land while he was gone and provided them with food and lodging.

Do you really want to be of those who forget our Lord and will be chased into the desert when the Lord comes back to us? Therefore we shouldn't ask for more evidence that the Lord exists. He has been merciful to us and given us more evidence of His existence and care than we would deserve. The only thing He asks us in return for dwelling in his lands is to remember Him and take good care of His land till He comes back. Is that too much to do? Would you ever want to claim that this earth belongs to us? Or that it belongs to nobody and we can do with it what we want? If you see a fancy sportscar on the street, would you ever assume that someone has forgotten it there and you can take it? So why would you think the earth doesn't have an owner?

Let us suppose that we could see God looking over our shoulders the way the landlord would be here if he had not gone away on a journey. Everyone would behave himself but would not freely choose to do so because he or she would be controlled by incentive rather than by respect for the intrinsic dignity of the landlord who takes care of them. If we all experienced that God was next to us we would not have the freedom to become and reveal our true selves so perhaps God remains invisible to preserve that freedom and to allow our choices and actions to have meaning. Think of the motorist who is driving aggressively, cutting people out of lanes, riding dangerously close to people in front of her, speeding, and she sees a police car. Before the policeman can observe her she becomes a perfect driver, why? because she knows she is being watched.
The price for the free will that requires God to remain invisible is that people who freely choose selfishly to harm others when it pays to do so and innocent victims suffer. This cannot be helped. In my very limited understanding of such invisible things, I do not think God plays favorites and answers prayers for miraculous interventions even when they come from concentration camp victims of torture, mutilation, and death because if He did so for one victim He would have to do so for everyone; the victim of a John Wayne Gacy or Jeffry Dahmer who did not get a miracle would suffer and die because God chose it. My question is this: under conditions of extreme horror, people despair and give up on God because they are so thoroughly broken. Some religions claim that God will damn them to Hell for this, but would God be merciful and understand that these souls are broken victims and let them be forgiven?
I will be the first to admit that I do not know the things I cannot see and if there is such a thing as God who wants it that way I accept it.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

ING - No kidding!

ING - Also to Ascertain and punish.

ING - Sick impure sexual impulse? You speak for God now? AND - it is no longer metaphorical? The Bible actually says nothing about Homosexuals.

ING - Isn't it funny how "God's" word is so patriarchal, - and the feminine is trashed, raped, sold and bought, tossed to the dogs, murdered, etc? Pretty much like it isn't from any God, - no matter how you interpret it!

EXPAND

That second to last sentence is a fact.

Unification

I do agree with you in the point that the Bible contains a lot of metaphors and especially translation are most of the time inaccurate. It makes a lot of things clearer if you take a look at the original Hebrew text. At the end God can only be found within your own soul. God is not a materialistic being that we can interact with like with the world around us or with other creatures. The only way is by going deep into our own soul. Still I do think that this world is like the gate to the path of God. In His creation God shows us how mighty and beyond all comprehension He is. It is this world we have to take care of, and it would be a big assault to God if we would lack to do so and only be meditating and thinking and praying all day and if we would neglect our duties towards nature. But the goal should always be to serve our God and make Him happy.

I think in this case you are thinking a bit too metaphorical. It is no secret that God does punish and destroy people who create chaos on this world. He is like a gardener who removes the weed from his garden so the flowers can grow better and make the garden more beautiful. Not only people by the way, also side products of His creation like we could assume He did with the dinosaurs or after the last ice age. Humans only had a chance to develop like they did, because God created for us a relative safe environment without big creatures chasing us all day.
Let us suppose that we could see God looking over our shoulders the way the landlord would be here if he had not gone away on a journey. Everyone would behave himself but would not freely choose to do so because he or she would be controlled by incentive rather than by respect for the intrinsic dignity of the landlord who takes care of them. If we all experienced that God was next to us we would not have the freedom to become and reveal our true selves so perhaps God remains invisible to preserve that freedom and to allow our choices and actions to have meaning. Think of the motorist who is driving aggressively, cutting people out of lanes, riding dangerously close to people in front of her, speeding, and she sees a police car. Before the policeman can observe her she becomes a perfect driver, why? because she knows she is being watched.
The price for the free will that requires God to remain invisible is that people who freely choose selfishly to harm others when it pays to do so and innocent victims suffer. This cannot be helped. In my very limited understanding of such invisible things, I do not think God plays favorites and answers prayers for miraculous interventions even when they come from concentration camp victims of torture, mutilation, and death because if He did so for one victim He would have to do so for everyone; the victim of a John Wayne Gacy or Jeffry Dahmer who did not get a miracle would suffer and die because God chose it. My question is this: under conditions of extreme horror, people despair and give up on God because they are so thoroughly broken. Some religions claim that God will damn them to Hell for this, but would God be merciful and understand that these souls are broken victims and let them be forgiven?
I will be the first to admit that I do not know the things I cannot see and if there is such a thing as God who wants it that way I accept it.

I love how you said all of that.
We'll never find God externally. Most would make it an external God when God can only be experienced internally. God is made more of a person and individual and perceived as such.
The question is why ones life is so easy and another's is practically hell in a third world country, etc. Real things happen. We are as god's because we have the power to create also. The power to create love and hate, heaven and hell, all good and all of evil to ourselves and to others. Internally and externally.
It's like if we live like an animal in this life, we will reincarnate as an animal or in poor circumstances in the next. Reap what is sewn. Endless conscious experiences in a body until one discovers the truth.