• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God a man?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Yes, I understand that reasoning, however the focus seems to be God teaching us to understand that He is not like us in the sense that He does not have the character flaws that we humans do. God also teaches that His thoughts are higher than ours and I see the first three of those Scriptures in that light.

As mentioned, I don't have a strong position on whether God became a man as Jesus. Because what that actually means can vary and does anyone really understand it?

Do you believe that God spoke in the Burning Bush, and do you not also believe that God spoke through the prophets and that God's teaching is in the Jewish Scriptures. I certainly see the beauty of God's wisdom there.

If we are created in the image of God, what does that mean?

If you read my other post, I propose that the distinction between the realm of God (I don't even know how to say it), and the physical world may not be what we think it is. Scientists speak of evolution, in religion we see an evolution in the understanding of God.

Regardless of belief about Jesus, does the Scripture(s) "...God is not a man..." mean that God could not appear as a human form? I don't know, it's not for me or any of us (I think) to think of God in terms of what God may or can do. I simply don't see those Scripture(s) as strictly meaning that God is saying that He would never work through a human form. I see that Scripture(s) as saying that if God does not have human flaws. From this we can conclude that if God did work through a human form, the human would not be a normal man with the flaws.
BTW, thank you for a wonderful discussion. :)

I think God works through humans, but not a human form.
Still, I do understand, and the Scripture(s) may have some meaning that God is not in a human form, but I don't see that God is saying that He would never use a human form. Repeat what does it mean that we are in the image of God. If we have further understanding of that we may better understand this other question. E.g. what makes "man", "man"? Is it our physical form or our fallen nature? Both? Neither and something else?
If someone were a ghost, we would not refer to them as a human. I know that some will disagree, but yeah, I think you have to have human DNA in order to be human.

I have a pretty strictly scientific take on human beings. Like other animals, we evolved certain instincts: procreate, stay alive, gather things for the future, care for our young, eat and drink when hungry or thirsty, form social communities, defend our territory, be curious...

Later in our evolutionary history, we evolved empathy and a sense of fairness -- the building blocks of morality. IOW we evolved a conscience. Sometimes what our conscience tells us to do is opposed to what our instincts tell us to do. When we choose instinct over conscience, that's called sinning.

What this all means is that we really have two natures: our animal instincts aka our inclination to evil, and our conscience aka our inclination to good.
The concept of God not having character flaws as humans, I can grasp. The concept of God as a physical form, or speaking through prophets, or speaking in the Burning Bush, I do not understand. I don't know what this entails, or means actually. Still, do I believe that the Prophets teach wisdom from God. I don't disbelieve it, that's for sure. I seek to understand exactly what this means. From there we may all better discussions about this other question.
:)
Exodus 4:5 "...the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, did appear to you."
What does that mean?
It depends on the context. There are times when it is figurative such as when it says Moses saw God face to face. Other times, the story has an angel speaking on God's behalf, such as at the burning bush.
Exodus 4:16 "He will speak to the people for you: he will be your spokesman,* and you will be as God to him."
What does that mean?
It means that Pharoah will perceive Moses as like a god. It doesn't mean he actually was God. In paganism, the "gods" are really more like powers that have strong influence on our lives, such as the sun, or war, or an emperor. (Remember that the Egyptians considered Pharaoh a god.) Having that mentality, Pharaoh would certainly have thought of Moses as a god, even though in Hebrew mentality Moses was not.

IndigoChild5559

Have you ever thought about the possibility that God may be a he, and also a she, and together they are God together. We were created in "their" image after all. We became like one of "them", male and female. We know it takes two to tango and we know that this is how life happens and how life is created; it is a procreative truth.
IMHO and in the opinion of all the Jewish friends I've ever had, God transcends gender. The only Jew I know of that has had a different opinion is Dennis Prager, the conservative radio talk show host, who is very big on God being male.

I used to know a Catholic priest who would refer to God as "she" to Catholics too stuck in limiting God. That used to crack me up.

I have sometimes suggested to people that in this verse: "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them," that the last clause may explain what the first two clauses mean. Kind of put a colon in there, instead of a comma. IOW God has both masculine and feminine character traits. That's my own idea. I've never heard anyone else suggest it. I'm probably wrong LOLOLOL.

Last edited:

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
IMHO and in the opinion of all the Jewish friends I've ever had, God transcends gender. The only Jew I know of that has had a different opinion is Dennis Prager, the conservative radio talk show host, who is very big on God being male.

I used to know a Catholic priest who would refer to God as "she" to Catholics too stuck in limiting God. That used to crack me up.

I have sometimes suggested to people that in this verse: "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them," that the last clause may explain what the first two clauses mean. Kind of put a colon in there, instead of a comma. IOW God has both masculine and feminine character traits. That's my own idea. I've never heard anyone else suggest it. I'm probably wrong LOLOLOL.

Even a battery operated vehicle utilizes two polarities of a battery to make it run. God is all things, so having both masculine and feminine attributes as separate aspects of God's entirety seems most reasonable to me. Males are separate from females, yet we are humans, so taking two to tango is nothing even remotely new to anything we know and understand about life and movement. I apply the same type of concept to God and the cosmos, to light and dark, to pleasure and pain, beneficial and non-beneficial, good and evil, truth and error, rightness and deceit, etc I like to be somewhere in the grey area, between the dark and the light, walking the line ... so to speak and learning as I go. I tend to choose what I value more than those things I value less. I value honesty over deception, truth over error, good over evil, pleasure over pain, etc. so there are times when too much is too much no matter which way we're going. Two sides of a coin is authentic enough to acknowledge as a truth.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The prophesies are contradictions of the Hebrew text as understood by Jews for millennia. It is their book in their language.

John 17:3
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
John 17:3 And this is eternal life: that people know you, the only true God, and that they know Jesus Christ, the One you sent. Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. Jesus said these things. Then, raising his eyes in prayer, he said: Father, it’s time. Display the bright splendor of your Son So the Son in turn may show your bright splendor. You put him in charge o And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. And this is life eternal, that they should know thee the only true God, and him whom thou didst send, even Jesus Christ. And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. Now this is eternal life: that they may know You, the only true [supreme and sovereign] God, and [in the same manner know] Jesus [as the] Christ whom You have sent. And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth. Eternal life means to know and experience you as the only true God, and to know and experience Jesus Christ, as the Son whom you have sent. And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.
The NT describes an intimate association of Jesus as the Messiah and the Son of God in accordance with Torah tradition,

There is truly and absolutely One True God. In accordance with the Torah, Man cannot be God.

No proof here it is a claim of ancient tribal scripture without provenance.
The record is clear regarding the opposition Jesus experienced from many Jewish religious leaders when he was alive and after that also. Including being set up by the leading class of Jewish teachers back then for the death penalty. The opposition does not disqualify him from being the Messiah as well as having been given authority by his heavenly Father. ALL authority. Notice what he said:
"Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me." (Matthew 28:18)
This not only proclaims that Jesus was GIVEN authority in heaven and on earth (he did not usurp or grab it) but that he was given ALL authority in heaven and on earth. Pretty big assignment which will certainly thankfully be fulfilled.

IndigoChild5559

Even a battery operated vehicle utilizes two polarities of a battery to make it run. God is all things, so having both masculine and feminine attributes as separate aspects of God's entirety seems most reasonable to me. Males are separate from females, yet we are humans, so taking two to tango is nothing even remotely new to anything we know and understand about life and movement. I apply the same type of concept to God and the cosmos, to light and dark, to pleasure and pain, beneficial and non-beneficial, good and evil, truth and error, rightness and deceit, etc I like to be somewhere in the grey area, between the dark and the light, walking the line ... so to speak and learning as I go. I tend to choose what I value more than those things I value less. I value honesty over deception, truth over error, good over evil, pleasure over pain, etc. so there are times when too much is too much no matter which way we're going. Two sides of a coin is authentic enough to acknowledge as a truth.
Good post.

I really tend to view sex/gender as something limited to carbon based life forms. And God isn't.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The gender equation is there set by God in the male term to convey what type of person he is. That He said 'let us make man in our image' does not mean that Adam & Eve or just Adam looked like God.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The record is clear regarding the opposition Jesus experienced from many Jewish religious leaders when he was alive and after that also. Including being set up by the leading class of Jewish teachers back then for the death penalty. The opposition does not disqualify him from being the Messiah as well as having been given authority by his heavenly Father. ALL authority. Notice what he said:
"Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me." (Matthew 28:18)
Of course virtually almost all Jews and the priesthood opposed the claims of Jesus as the Messiah King of Jews without any consideration. of whether He claimed to be the incarnate Son of God. Yes, from the Jewish perspective it would be punishable by stoning to death by stoning.

From the Roman perspective the claims made by Jesus Christ would be treason against Rome and punishable by crucifixion.
This not only proclaims that Jesus was GIVEN authority in heaven and on earth (he did not usurp or grab it) but that he was given ALL authority in heaven and on earth. Pretty big assignment which will certainly thankfully be fulfilled.

Yes the claim of being the Messiah King of the Jews be authority GIVEN authority in heaven and on earth.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
Not even in the slightest.

Exodus 4:16 And he must speak for you to the people; and it must occur that he will serve as a mouth to you, and you will serve as God (lelohim) to him.

Exodus 7:1 Consequently Jehovah said to Moses: “See, I have made you God (Elohim) to Pharaoh, and Aaron your own brother will become your prophet.

Psalm 82:1, 6 God is stationing himself in the assembly of the Divine One; In the middle of the gods (Elohim) he judges: I myself have said, ‘You are gods (Elohim), And all of you are sons of the Most High.

Coder

scientific take on human beings.
Yes. What is physical matter though? "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you." Scientists peer beneath the atomic level etc. But matter is part of existence and therefore because I believe that all existence is in God's mind (so to speak) that it is not "separate" from Him. So for God to speak to Moses and other similar things, God is simply working within the creation that exists in Him (his mind, again lacking language).

Like other animals, we evolved certain instincts:
I have a joke. A scientist said that he figured out the answer as to whether we evolved from the apes. So they asked "Well, what's the answer? Did we evolve from apes?!" and he replied "No, not yet." :)

It means that Pharoah will perceive Moses as like a god. It doesn't mean he actually was God.

Speaking from the literal interpretation of the Scriptures discussed here:

Do we agree that the true God worked in or through Moses? The Jewish Scripture says "as God" or "as if you were God" (I don't see the word "god"). So, could one say that, in a sense, by God's instruction, Moses became a human representative of God? Moses did not lose his identity but the power of God worked in/through the human form. Granted, that to say that God became man, is going too far, but we also can't ignore that Moses represented God in a sense, because although Pharoah saw that it was God who worked through Moses, Pharoah may also have had a sense of fearful respect for Moses as he did for God. I.e. As the Bible says "as if you were God" or "you will be as God".

When Moses performed the acts of God, it was not Moses as merely a man. So, God acted in a man, and the man still kept his identity. This makes sense to me. God can work through or even "be" a human form, just as He worked through Moses. However, this changes nothing of our understanding that God is transcendent and remained transcendent when working through Moses.

Elijah prayed and a child came back to life. Elisha performed a similar act. (In all my years of Church attendance, I don't once recall that part of the Jewish Scriptures read.)

So, with regards to the general concept of God being in a human form, I see that these Scriptures indicate the concept. And I would think that such an act of God would have no bearing on His transcendence, any more than it did when He worked through Moses (and perhaps Elijah, and Elisha, and teaching the prophets, and other acts of God through humans, that are told about in the Jewish Scripture).

So, with regards to the Scriptures that say that God is not a man, perhaps one could interpret this as being compatible with the understanding that if God works through a human form, the human form "is not a man", i.e. it is not merely a man and at the same time, the transcendence of God is unchanged (of course). Just as Moses was not merely a "man" in the normal sense of the word, as God worked through him.

So, I think that the Scriptures that you mention, have more bearing on what it means to be a "man" and that God is not a "man" in the normal sense that we are humans. However, God's work through or in a "man" would not reflect the flaws that "man" has and so yes God is not a "man" like us, and if did use a human form, that human would also be of God, and not a "man".

Now, with regards to Christianity, I think that these Scriptures (e.g. in light of how God worked through Moses) are not the best in debates with Christians. The may have some value, because like this conversation, pointing out these Scriptures might cause Christians to explore and improve their understanding of the concepts involved and then begin to question what they actually believe about Christianity.

I tend towards the view of Jewish people, that (perhaps unfortunately) we may not have all of what Jesus taught or a full understanding of a possible movement within Judaism that involved Jesus. It may have become a concern for Roman power and then the Roman leaders perhaps became convinced that they could use the movement for their purposes. Perhaps even some Roman leaders had some sense of religious morality beyond only power motives but I have little doubt that power and control motives were generally involved.

Did God work through Jesus? I believe that "Love your enemies" is from God. It's ascribed to Jesus.

Did God become man? I don't believe so and as mentioned, just as in the case of Moses, I don't know if we need to philosophize about what God becoming man means with regards to Jesus. So many stories. We see baptism (Jewish sect?) as if Jesus may be a normal man who is transformed. The virgin birth stories say that Jesus was divine, but I think that those were fabricated as part of the use of Jesus as human-like form of God to lead Greco-Romans who believed in human-like forms of "gods" to the true God. I.e. They were accustomed to images of the "gods", so an "image" that represents the true God can help transfer their thinking to God.

Many stories in the Christian Bible, fit perfectly with the concept of a purposeful narrative for a unified religion in the Roman empire. I can share some if you'd like.

I think also the fact that Jesus did not fulfill the prophecies, and Paul's errant uses of Jewish Scripture (that indicate a convincing motive was at work) are very helpful in discussions with Christians. Christians will say "2nd coming", and so I simply say that for all practical purposes the messiah still hasn't come.

Rabbi Skobac says something interesting. He speaks of Christianity as possibly of God in some way, and part of the journey to a better understanding of God for those who are not Jewish. Other Jewish people, even some rabbis, I think, see some small "messianic-like" aspects to Christianity.( Don't quote me on these, they are general ideas that I do recall. Anyone may search for this information for themselves).

In the Christian Bible there is a fascinating passage that you might find interesting. Keep in mind that many of the letters in the Christian Bible are pastoral for Church leaders.

1 Cor 15:24 "...then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to his God and Father, ...then the Son himself will [also] be subjected "

This passage has an eschatological context but see what it says! Jesus will not be king and will be a "subject" in the kingdom! Again, keep in mind the pastoral nature for Church leaders. Do they understand that the story of Jesus as a "God" is only a story, and for a temporary purpose?! In 1 Cor 15:24, do we see a trinity? "When everything is subjected to him, then the Son himself will [also] be subjected..." "...so that God may be all in all". Now, I imagine that Christians may have some excuse/explanations to discount this Scripture. I trust God and "not a man". Because as the Scriptures that you showed say, God is "not a man" that he should lie. However, I think that if something doesn't fit a preconceived notion, people will seek a way around it, rather than be objective. I believe that humans sometimes lie, even about religion. And so yes, glory to God! "God is not a man, that he should lie" !

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Exodus 4:16 And he must speak for you to the people; and it must occur that he will serve as a mouth to you, and you will serve as God (lelohim) to him.
Here is the translation on the Chabad website. It does not translate l'elohim "as god," which, even though it is the exact translation, it confuses things. God is NOT saying that Moses is a god. He is saying that he is going to be LIKE a god to Aaron. It's like when a surgeon says, "When they are on my operating table, I am their god." It's not literal. A god in that culture was anyting powerful enough to have considerable impact, such as the sun, or war, or an emperor. So yeah, given how powerful Moses was, in that culture he would be seen as a god.
16And he will speak for you to the people, and it will be that he will be your speaker, and you will be his leader. טזוְדִבֶּר־ה֥וּא לְךָ֖ אֶל־הָעָ֑ם וְהָ֤יָה הוּא֙ יִֽהְיֶה־לְּךָ֣ לְפֶ֔ה וְאַתָּ֖ה תִּֽהְיֶה־לּ֥וֹ לֵֽאלֹהִֽים:
Exodus 7:1 Consequently Jehovah said to Moses: “See, I have made you God (Elohim) to Pharaoh, and Aaron your own brother will become your prophet.
Same thing here. Moses would be seen LIKE a god TO PHARAOH. It is not saying he is actually a god.
Psalm 82:1, 6 God is stationing himself in the assembly of the Divine One; In the middle of the gods (Elohim) he judges: I myself have said, ‘You are gods (Elohim), And all of you are sons of the Most High.
The word elohim has a number of possible meanings.
It can refer to the one true God.
It can refer to the many pagan gods.
It can refer to angels.
It can refer to human judges.

The passage is all about judging, especially God judging. Therefore elohim in this verse refers to human judges.
א מִזְמוֹר, לְאָסָף:
אֱלֹהִים, נִצָּב בַּעֲדַת-אֵל; בְּקֶרֶב אֱלֹהִים יִשְׁפֹּט.
1 A Psalm of Asaph. {N}
God standeth in the congregation of God; in the midst of the judges He judgeth:
ו אֲנִי-אָמַרְתִּי, אֱלֹהִים אַתֶּם; וּבְנֵי עֶלְיוֹן כֻּלְּכֶם.6 I said: Ye are godlike beings, and all of you sons of the Most High.

IndigoChild5559

Yes. What is physical matter though? "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you." Scientists peer beneath the atomic level etc. But matter is part of existence and therefore because I believe that all existence is in God's mind (so to speak) that it is not "separate" from Him. So for God to speak to Moses and other similar things, God is simply working within the creation that exists in Him (his mind, again lacking language).
If you break physical matter down, it is composed of subatomic particles. But humans are a very specific combination of matter. We are carbon based living beings, meaning that we self replicate. Of course, it does get more complex than that. We are mammals, primates, and great apes, who have an advanced capacity for tools, culture, and language.
I have a joke. A scientist said that he figured out the answer as to whether we evolved from the apes. So they asked "Well, what's the answer? Did we evolve from apes?!" and he replied "No, not yet." :)
ROFL Good one! You made my day.

Do we agree that the true God worked in or through Moses and God showed that He is above the false gods?
Sure. But that's not the same as being God, or even of being a god. For example, if I go to the old folks home, and spend time helping there, I am the hands of God's love and compassion to the elderly. It doesn't make me God, or a god. So we cannot say that God has become a human or taken on human form.

The reason I bring up all the texts that God is not a man, is to dispel the Christian notion that Jesus is God. Actually God. Not like God. Not a mere representative of God, but God himself. You don't seem to be making that assertion, so we are starting off on a very good foot.

The Jewish Scripture says "as God" or "as if you were God" (I don't see the word "god").'
Yes, we agree here. It uses the word l'elohim, which means like God.
So, could one say that, in a sense, by God's instruction, Moses became a human representative of God?
Yeap.
So, with regards to the general concept of God being in a human form, I see that these Scriptures indicate the concept.
Hmmm Perhaps we do not agree after all! LOL :) I'm sorry, but if I represent someone, and act on their behalf. it doesn't make them me, or me them. Someone may have the power of attorney for Joe, but it doesn't make them Joe.
So, I think that the Scriptures that you mention, have more bearing on what it means to be a "man" and that God is not a "man" in the normal sense that we are humans. However, God's work through or in a "man" would not reflect the flaws that "man" has and so yes God is not a "man" like us, and if did use a human form, that human would also be of God, and not a "man".
If what you are trying to do is confirm that God's nature is to not be a human being (or anything else in nature), but that he can work his love, his compassion, his justice, his might... through human beings, then I fully agree. I just would not call the latter "human form." You use the expression "of God." I think you will agree that being "of God" is not the same thing as being "God" or visa versa.

Now, with regards to Christianity, I think that these Scriptures (e.g. in light of how God worked through Moses) are the best to discount Christianity. The may have some value, because like this conversation, pointing out these Scriptures might cause Christians to explore and improve their understanding of the concepts involved and then begin to question what they actually believe about Christianity.'
I think you will agree that the Christian claim that Jesus is God is completely different than saying Moses was like a god to pharaoh. Apples and aardvarks. LOL
I tend towards the view of Jewish people, that (perhaps unfortunately) we may not have all of what Jesus taught or a full understanding of a possible movement within Judaism that involved Jesus.
Today, we don't really have any reliable sources about Jesus. He didn't write anything himself. All we have are collectsion of legends about him that formed in the decades after his death.

I am of the opinion that (except for the claims he made about himself) there is nothing Jesus taught that was new. We can agree to disagree here, I have no problem with that. :)

But what we do know is this and being Jewish I'm sure you agree:
1. That Jesus didn't meet the requirements for the Messiah, because he did not usher in an era of worldwide peace (to start with).
2. That God is not a man, so Jesus is not God, contrary to Christian teaching. That's just standard Judaism.
Did God work through Jesus? I believe that "Love your enemies" is from God. It's ascribed to Jesus.
Leviticus 19:18 "And you shall love your neighbor as yourself."
Exodus 23:4-5 "If you encounter your enemy’s ox or donkey wandering, you must return it to him. If you see the donkey of someone who hates you lying under its burden, and you would refrain from helping it, you must surely help him with it."

In the passage you refer to, Jesus is reputed to have remarked that Moses said "Love your neighbor and hate your enemy." The truth is that no such verse exists anywhere in the Torah.

I read a book called "To Be a Jew." Chapter one is called Kindness. All the chapters that come after that are simply elaborations. And I'm sure you are quite familiar with the famous remark Hillel made to the convert: "What is hateful to you do not do to others. That is the whole Torah. All the rest is commentary."

I think also the fact that Jesus did not fulfill the prophecies, and Paul's errant uses of Jewish Scripture (that indicate a convincing motive was at work) are very helpful in discussions with Christians. Christians will say "2nd coming", and so I simply say that for all practical purposes the messiah still hasn't come.
We are definitely on the same page here!
1 Cor 15:24 "...then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to his God and Father, when he has destroyed every sovereignty and every authority and power."

This passage has an eschatological context but see what it says! Jesus will not be king and God will be all in all! Jesus will no be seen as "God", only the true God will be seen as God!
Good catch.

I have always maintained that the Christian Scriptures contain contradictory remarks about the nature of Jesus. Some present him clearly as only a man. Other places really do imply that he was God. What Christians do is focus in on all the "god" verses and ignore the "man" verses. Muslims do the reverse.

I'm signing off for Tisha B'av. May you have an easy fast.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

\
OK a joke, but not a real scientist. The sciences of evolution does know how all life evolved including how humans evolving from primates.

Do we agree that the true God worked in or through Moses? The Jewish Scripture says "as God" or "as if you were God" (I don't see the word "god"). So, could one say that, in a sense, by God's instruction, Moses became a human representative of God? Moses did not lose his identity but the power of God worked in/through the human form. Granted, that to say that God became man, is going too far, but we also can't ignore that Moses represented God in a sense, because although Pharoah saw that it was God who worked through Moses, Pharoah may also have had a sense of fearful respect for Moses as he did for God. I.e. As the Bible says "as if you were God" or "you will be as God".

When Moses performed the acts of God, it was not Moses as merely a man. So, God acted in a man, and the man still kept his identity. This makes sense to me. God can work through or even "be" a human form, just as He worked through Moses. However, this changes nothing of our understanding that God is transcendent and remained transcendent when working through Moses.

Elijah prayed and a child came back to life. Elisha performed a similar act. (In all my years of Church attendance, I don't once recall that part of the Jewish Scriptures read.)

So, with regards to the general concept of God being in a human form, I see that these Scriptures indicate the concept. And I would think that such an act of God would have no bearing on His transcendence, any more than it did when He worked through Moses (and perhaps Elijah, and Elisha, and teaching the prophets, and other acts of God through humans, that are told about in the Jewish Scripture).

So, with regards to the Scriptures that say that God is not a man, perhaps one could interpret this as being compatible with the understanding that if God works through a human form, the human form "is not a man", i.e. it is not merely a man and at the same time, the transcendence of God is unchanged (of course). Just as Moses was not merely a "man" in the normal sense of the word, as God worked through him.

Now, with regards to Christianity, I think that these Scriptures (e.g. in light of how God worked through Moses) are not the best in debates with Christians. The may have some value, because like this conversation, pointing out these Scriptures might cause Christians to explore and improve their understanding of the concepts involved and then begin to question what they actually believe about Christianity.

I tend towards the view of Jewish people, that (perhaps unfortunately) we may not have all of what Jesus taught or a full understanding of a possible movement within Judaism that involved Jesus. It may have become a concern for Roman power and then the Roman leaders perhaps became convinced that they could use the movement for their purposes. Perhaps even some Roman leaders had some sense of religious morality beyond only power motives but I have little doubt that power and control motives were generally involved.

Did God become man? I don't believe so and as mentioned, just as in the case of Moses, I don't know if we need to philosophize about what God becoming man means with regards to Jesus. So many stories. We see baptism (Jewish sect?) as if Jesus may be a normal man who is transformed. The virgin birth stories say that Jesus was divine, but I think that those were fabricated as part of the use of Jesus as human-like form of God to lead Greco-Romans who believed in human-like forms of "gods" to the true God. I.e. They were accustomed to images of the "gods", so an "image" that represents the true God can help transfer their thinking to God.

Many stories in the Christian Bible, fit perfectly with the concept of a purposeful narrative for a unified religion in the Roman empire. I can share some if you'd like.

I like what Rabbi Skobac says, that the journey through Christianity may be God leading others to monotheism, but many are still on their way. Other Jewish people, even some rabbis, I think, see some "messianic-like" aspects to Christianity but not the Jewish messiah.

In the Christian Bible there is a fascinating passage that you might find interesting. Keep in mind that many of the letters in the Christian Bible are pastoral for Church leaders.

1 Cor 15:24 "...then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to his God and Father, ...then the Son himself will [also] be subjected "

This passage has an eschatological context but see what it says! Jesus will not be king and God will be all in all! Jesus will not be seen as "God", Jesus will be a "subject" in the kingdom and only the true God will be seen as God! I'm already at that thinking! Again, keep in mind the pastoral nature for Church leaders. Do they understand that the story of Jesus is only a story, and for a temporary purpose? See what Rabbi Skobac says about the journey through Christianity leading others to monotheism. In 1 Cor 15:24, do we see a trinity? "When everything is subjected to him, then the Son himself will [also] be subjected..."
"...so that God may be all in all". Whatever position that Christians believe that Jesus has, it certainly isn't permanent! Now, I'm sure that Christians may have some excuse/explanations and this is why I trust God and "not a man". Because as the Scriptures that you showed say, God is "not a man" that he should lie. However, humans often, if something doesn't fit their preconceived notion, rather than being objective, they will seek a way around it. And so yes, glory to God! "God is not a man, that he should lie" !
OK maybe description of what you believe concerning Christianity and the nature of Jesus though it is a bit muddled as far as the concept in Christianity of the Trinity, and Jesus being the Incarnate God as the Son of God.

I would not go far concerning Rabbi Skobac's incomplete citation of his view of Christians leading others to Monotheism, because the dominant belief n the Trinity , which is not Monotheistic.

Rabbi Michael Skobac – one of the world’s foremost authorities on Missionaries and Cults – is the Director of Education and Counselling of Jews for Judaism (Canada). He was educated at Northwestern University and Yeshiva University and has been involved in Jewish education and outreach work since 1975.

Rabbi Skobac was the founding director of Kiruv, the campus outreach arm of the Rabbinical Council of America, and has worked as a campus professional with Hillel groups in Philadelphia, New York and Toronto.

He has specialized in counter-missionary work since 1983, establishing the New York branch of JEWS FOR JUDAISM and serving as a consultant to the New York Jewish Community Relations Council Task Force on Missionaries and Cults.

Rabbi Skobac has lectured extensively throughout the world on missionaries, cults, and issues of Jewish continuity and spirituality. His entertaining, inspiring and informative lectures have been enthusiastically received by all denominations of Judaism.

As a highly respected authority on Jewish continuity, he has acted as a consultant to many Jewish communities worldwide in developing responses to missionary and cult activity and advising on issues of Jewish survival.

His view of Christianity is reflected in the following:

About 2,000 years ago, if you would have met someone who told you they believe that Jesus is the Messiah, you could have assumed that that person was Jewish. That was pretty much an assumption you could have safely made 2,000 years ago. Any person telling you that they are believer that Jesus is the Messiah, pretty good bet that that person was a Jew 2,000 years ago. The reason is that the movement initially the movement that was growing up around Jesus of Nazareth himself was an exclusively Jewish movement. Jesus instructed his followers in the book of Matthew chapter 10 when he told them to go round and spread his message, He told them Go not unto the cities of the Gentiles or the Samaritans. He tells them don't go to non-Jews he said I have come only for the lost sheep of the house of Israel we see in the fifteenth chapter of Matthew that when a non-jewish woman comes to Jesus and his followers asking for help they send her away and she persists and says you have to help me and Jesus says to her, it is not proper to take the bread of the children and throw it to the dogs. That's how we respond to this non-Jewish woman. So initially we know that the Jesus Movement was an exclusively Jewish movement and if you would have met anyone originally who said that they believed he was the Messiah you could rest assured that person was Jewish. However by the end of the second century, less than 200 years later, anyone claiming to be a Christian, anyone claiming to be a follower of Jesus, you could have safely assumed that person was not Jewish. So we see that at the very beginning of the Christian movement, a very radical shift takes place. In less than two hundred years the movement goes from about a hundred percent Jewish people to virtually 100 percent Gentile.

Last edited:
Numbers 23:19 God is not a man...nor a son of man.
1 Samuel 15:29 for he is not a man
Hosea 11:9 I am God and not a man
Job 9:32 For he is not a man

So four times, FOUR, the Tanakh repeats the same teaching. Wouldn't you think that makes it rather important?
True, God is not a man, God is only a Spirit. :)

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

This is a misrepresentation of the citations concerning references to earthly human gods, See post #253.
The references to Moses and other Messiah like humans as "like Gods" is more an earthly station of humans given Divine authority to represent God on earth among humans to carry out the will of God.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Good post.

I really tend to view sex/gender as something limited to carbon based life forms. And God isn't.

How can God not be if we come from God, living, moving, and experiencing life in God? To me, God isn't an abstract. God is a life giver, intelligent, all encompassing, and while knowable, God is far too complex for us to know everything about God's reality. Which, I think is great. This means we'll always be able to grow and develop and increase our understanding as we live, move, and experience life in God...I get bored sometimes, but this isn't due to there not being anything to occupy my time. I suppose I can be a little slothful, although I do make effort to keep myself occupied.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
Here is the translation on the Chabad website. It does not translate l'elohim "as god," which, even though it is the exact translation, it confuses things. God is NOT saying that Moses is a god. He is saying that he is going to be LIKE a god to Aaron. It's like when a surgeon says, "When they are on my operating table, I am their god." It's not literal. A god in that culture was anyting powerful enough to have considerable impact, such as the sun, or war, or an emperor. So yeah, given how powerful Moses was, in that culture he would be seen as a god.
16And he will speak for you to the people, and it will be that he will be your speaker, and you will be his leader.טזוְדִבֶּר־ה֥וּא לְךָ֖ אֶל־הָעָ֑ם וְהָ֤יָה הוּא֙ יִֽהְיֶה־לְּךָ֣ לְפֶ֔ה וְאַתָּ֖ה תִּֽהְיֶה־לּ֥וֹ לֵֽאלֹהִֽים:

Right. My favorite translation has a footnote that reads "or 'will be representing God to him.'" The Hebrew word mal·ʼakhʹ and the Greek agʹge·los, angel, literally mean “messenger.” It's an important distinction you rightly point out because - let me put it this way, consider the word album. What is an album? In musical context people usually tend to think of an album as a vinyl LP, which it is, but when you say cassette or compact disc, they don't think album because they already think LPs are albums. Actually, they are all albums because album means collection, like a photo album. In music recording you had singles and albums. An album is a collection of songs or singles. People do a similar thing with the words "God" and "angel." An idol is a representation of a god, it is, in fact, a god by very definition.

Same thing here. Moses would be seen LIKE a god TO PHARAOH. It is not saying he is actually a god.

The word elohim has a number of possible meanings.
It can refer to the one true God.
It can refer to the many pagan gods.
It can refer to angels.
It can refer to human judges.

Right, like an idol. Here you conclude that Elohim refers to human judges, but earlier when I asked you if the judges were gods, you said not in the slightest. Keeping in mind I agree with the conclusion of your OP subject heading: God is not a man. But men can be gods. So, at Genesis 17:1 Yahweh is ʼEl Shad·daiʹ (God Almighty). Only Yahweh is God Almighty. The root word from which the Hebrew El (God) comes probably means "mighty/strong one." Yahweh is the strongest or most mighty of the mighty. At Isaiah 9:16 the Messiah is prophetically referred to as ʼEl Gib·bohrʹ (Mighty God). Mighty of the mighty.

The passage is all about judging, especially God judging. Therefore elohim in this verse refers to human judges.
א מִזְמוֹר, לְאָסָף:
אֱלֹהִים, נִצָּב בַּעֲדַת-אֵל; בְּקֶרֶב אֱלֹהִים יִשְׁפֹּט.
1 A Psalm of Asaph. {N}
God standeth in the congregation of God; in the midst of the judges He judgeth:
ו אֲנִי-אָמַרְתִּי, אֱלֹהִים אַתֶּם; וּבְנֵי עֶלְיוֹן כֻּלְּכֶם.6 I said: Ye are godlike beings, and all of you sons of the Most High.

IMHO, while accurate, using terms like godlike ones aren't necessary and can be misleading because something representing a god is a god. Divine, godlike, deity. It's all the same so why not just say god or gods? Because people take a dogmatic, religious, traditional or perhaps almost superstitious fear of the word. You admit, in that a god can refer to God, gods, angels, judges, men, and I assume, idols.

So, the meaning of the root word for God meaning mighty in the eyes of the beholder a god can be anything or anyone. God said have no other gods before, or more important than him. He wanted no idols for himself, but he chooses his representatives, angels, i.e. messengers that are sometimes angels, judges, or men like Moses. The Chief angel, the angels above or most mighty of the angels, is Michael, which means "Who is like God?" He, is like God, but not God. He, Michael, like Adam, was created in God's image. It wasn't intended to be a disrespectful order. God wanted us - angel and earthling man - to be like him. What Father doesn't? We can ever be mightier, but we can be in his likeness.

God is just a word. A title. Like Lord or King. It means mighty. Our attribution of might, that is, veneration, respect, is what makes something or someone a god. If no one respected or venerated anyone or anything, there wouldn't be any gods, even God Almighty. That wouldn't mean that they wouldn't exist. They just wouldn't be gods. Venerated due to their attributed might. The name is more significant than the title. The being or person of Yahweh himself is more significant than the name.

Last edited:

I Am Hugh

Researcher
This is a misrepresentation of the citations concerning references to earthly human gods, See post #253.
The references to Moses and other Messiah like humans as "like Gods" is more an earthly station of humans given Divine authority to represent God on earth among humans to carry out the will of God.

See my responses here on a related topic, and above, post #259.

Last edited: