• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God a man?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Oh for sure.

:)
When I read the verse about the earth being cursed, it is directly referring to how we have to work in order to feed ourselves, and in a larger sense to the overall hardship and suffering in life. I don't think it means the earth is a bad place. There is a lot of beauty and love to be had.

I would agree with the above completely.

Nor do I think "the earth is cursed" means that we should just shrug and accept it as "God's will." We make tractors and stuff to make farming easier. We invent washing machines. We develop antibiotics. Genesis mentions the pain women will feel in childbirth -- I say give us epidurals. :) IOW Genesis mentions things that were. It doesn't mean they need to stay that way. Further, it is human beings that repair the world.

LOL… watch out for those epidurals… some doctors are bad at it. It is a shame they actually have to practice on live patients… hmmm… maybe I shouldn’t have said LOL… it isn’t a laughing matter

I agree that we shouldn’t accept it as God’s will. I don’t think it was God’s will.

Personally, I think that is why we age. (Personally thinking)

But one thing I think we forgot to address… God spoke with Adam and Eve in the cool of the evening but then they were driven from His presence with a faming sword to prevent them from coming back. Now the need of prophets to hear what God is saying? And the need of a person to be anointed to do so? But not God’s desire that so few could hear Him.

Now let's talk about your comments on death, since I need to better understand you. The normal literal meaning of death is when our bodies stop functioning and rot. There is no saving anyone from this. We will all die. But it can also be used figuratively as in "the love died within her," or "that's the kind of thing that kills the soul." I can see where you might say that by doing this other thing or having these other experiences, you can undo those harms, at least to a degree. I just don't know that I would use the word redemption or salvation to describe it.
we
So tell me more what it is that YOU mean.

If I am not mistaken, in the original Hebrew the word “death” is actually plural. I would personally say it this way, “In dying you will die”. Although a type of death is when we stop breathing, I wouldn’t define death in that fashion although it is a death. I would define death as any area that is “separated from the life of God”.

I took note that Adam said, “I was afraid” whereas he was never afraid before. Fear is simply an area of separation from the Shalom of God. It isn’t in alignment with the proper order of God.

So, first I would say he experienced a spiritual separation from God. (Thus the sacrificing of animals, the washing process at the Bronze Basin.) And the rest of the process to enter the Holy of Holies.

From there I believe he experienced a death in His thinking process. He lied. Separated mentally from the God of truth - the God that is not a man that He should lie nor the son of man that He should repent fo what He said… if He said it, it is done!

It culminated in the death of the body.

So, in dying, they died.

Of course there is more to that story IMV.

In our view, satan is the author of fear and the father of lies.

I appreciate your use of Jewish themes as metaphors for your thoughts. :) Again, I do think you are doing a great job of expressing the Christian view.

Thank you. I appreciate your sharing!

What specifically do you think you are being redeemed from? I'm familiar with the usual Christian answers that they are being saved from their sins (which I don't understand) or saved from hell. But what do YOU think?

So redemption, for me, is the reuniting of God and man. Coming back into full communion with our Creator.

Saying that the scapegoat or Yom Kippur sacrifice were "redemptive" feels very awkward to me. I experience Yom Kippur as something that *I* do, not something that is done to me. I see it as repentance and atonement, which are actions on my part.

I think it is both. It is our action towards God (repentance) but also God towards us (atonement). I like how they separate the word “atonement” to “at one meant” to be connected to God. And not so much as “done to me” but rather what God “does for me” out of His great love.
Are we in agreement that a redeemer kinsman is the family member who enters into a levirate marriage? The idea there is to create heirs for the deceased husband. I am really just not sure why he would be referred to as a kinsman redeemer. You may need to ask someone more learned in this than I am.

I think that God does all things with a purpose. I believe even Adam saying “This is bones of my bones and flesh of my flesh” in marriage has a purpose. It is God using Adam to say Isaiah 54:5 For your Maker is your husband— the LORD Almighty is his name— the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth.

Like when Hosea buys back Gomer after having married her. Man is the adulterer from the beginning being married with God (not in the natural sense) , always leaving God’s ways and creating our own ways. Going after other gods if not making ourselves our own gods. In the allegory, a slave to our own sins but He buys us back and says in Isaiah "the LORD who created you says, “Do not be afraid—I will save you. I have called you by name—you are mine.” He bought us back with a price.

Sure. But this just brings us back to the same question: saved from what? redeemed from what?

:) Hopefully I answered that.
Oh my goodness, that's one of my favorite psalms! "He will cover thee with His pinions, and under His wings shalt thou take refuge." What a beautiful, beautiful metaphor.

Yes! I love Psalms 103 too!! One of my favorites!

Last edited:

I Am Hugh

Researcher
Not "allegedly."

Yes. Allegedly.

We have all sorts of examples of conclusions that were discarded when new data was observed.

Right, thus allegedly.

For example, Newtonian Physics gave way to Relativity. Wegner was originally a laughing stock for his ideas on continental drift, but today Plate Tectonics is one of the biggest, best proven, and universally accepted theories. When I was a kid, they thought there was no water on the moon. At university, my professor Dr Robert Greene was alone in his opinion that the moon had water. Now they know there is-- there is no doubt. I mean, the list of these modifications is endless.

That is always subject to change. In the present tense we say we know; in the past tense we say we thought.

The video above is an example of one of the few scientists I recognize and respect, and it's for her integrity. Her story in another brief video here. The people you see talking about science on religious forums are not scientists who are relevant contextually, even for the tiny percentage of discourse that itself may be somewhat relevant. Evolution vs. Creationism. Science vs religion. But that isn't even the problem. The problem is that those discussions, are, in my opinion, almost entirely irrelevant themselves if for no other reason than that science and theology in practice are not the same but very similar in the dogmatic adherence of their respective proponents.

Scientists are loyal to the evidence, not the conclusions. Like all humans, they are reluctant to admit they need to modify, but, well, the truth will out. :)

They are also subject to bias, corruption, error, dogma - all of the same things that theologians are subject to, but we aren't scientists and theologians by profession anyway.

As for the effects, I think we are far better off knowing the truth. Modern medicine and tech have not only made our lives easier, but have done more to relieve real human suffering than the entire history of religion.

You may think that because you overestimate the temporal usefulness of your external ego, and are oblivious to eugenics and the iatrogenic subtleties of a post-Cartesian paradigm as if that were particularly clever or original historically speaking.

However, I agree with you that a wicked person will manipulate truth for self gain, and that often we feel a deep sorrow when science shows us that we really are not all that special or different from other animals.

Heh. Interesting. Mostly what puts me off is the pseudo-arrogance and subsequent dogmatic insistence of ideologues in theology, science and politics. Lies, wicked people, manipulation, self-gain, or persons in wolf's clothing pretending to be smug apes are only amusements to me. Like a ship of fools or extractions of the stone of madness.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
Of course. But that's why scientific method includes things such as peer review, repetition, and openness to new evidence altering conclusions.

Is that an excuse or a reason? When does peer review become peer pressure and groupthink? Repetition become corrupted or prevented? New evidence become Semmelweis Reflex? There is a balance in considering or suggesting these possibilities; criticizing science isn't science denial or ignorance and to minimize or understate them warrants caution.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
But one thing I think we forgot to address… God spoke with Adam and Eve in the cool of the evening but then they were driven from His presence with a faming sword to prevent them from coming back. Now the need of prophets to hear what God is saying? And the need of a person to be anointed to do so? But not God’s desire that so few could hear Him.
First, let me apologize for the length of my reply. This post is ungodly long! I personally just hate long posts, so if you want to skim or skip around, I completely understand. I have tried to make it easier for you to do this by using bold for the main ideas. I really tried very hard to be succinct, but we are discussing things that have a lot of nuance, and it just takes more words to express the ideas. Okay, let's proceed.

I often talk about stories from within the context of story, such as when I might say, "The reason Gandalf went to Minus Tirith was because..." It doesn't mean I think Gandalf exists. There comes a time in any discussion about the opening chapters of Genesis that I need to inform or remind that I do not consider these stories to be history. They are wonderful stories which inspire us and teach us important truths about human nature.

This sometimes comes as shocking to some groups of religious people, who think that if you follow the Bible you have to take it all literally. However, if you pin them down, there are many occasions that Christians themselves do not take things literally, yet still "believe in" the Bible. The easiest example would be the Parables of Jesus. There was never any historical Good Samaritan, but a Christian can understand that the story is fiction, and still accept the lesson that we need to reach out in compassion to all regardless of ethnicity. In that sense, it is perfectly appropriate for a Christian to say they "believe in" the story. It is no different for me and the stories of Genesis.

It is the nature of myths to teach values a culture holds so deeply that they are usually unconscious. Further, there is no better teacher of morality than fiction. It is also characteristic of myths to present lovely imaginative suggestions how certain things came to be, such as in the African myth of How the Zebra Got Its Stripes. The Biblical equivalent is that the eating of the fruit of the tree is why women have painful childbirth, why snakes have no legs, etc. Similarly, it is also characteristic of these stories to have all kinds of extraordinary things and events that don't really exist in real life.

Now let's discuss how I see the creation stories as they instruct about human nature, and how this might relate to actual history. I will do this in narrative form, rather than prose.

In the beginning, the ancestors of humans functioned entirely on instinct. They lacked the intelligence and self awareness necessary for a conscience. Like all the other creatures, they were in harmony with nature, with themselves, and with God. But eventually they began to evolve a sense of empathy and fairness, the building blocks of morality. IOW, there came a time in our history that we developed a conscience. The trouble was, there were occasions when other instincts came into conflict with conscience, such as wanting the food another is eating and wishing to take it, but conscience telling them that this would be wrong. So, by developing a conscience, they LOST the harmony they had once had with nature, with themselves, and with God. Sometimes they chose to abide by their conscience. But other times they would opt for their animal instinct despite conscience, and that is what sin is. "The Fall" is an excellent metaphor for this event, and the Genesis 3 story is a wonderful way to illustrate it.

That said, we can now return to discussing these stories from within the narrative of the text.

If I am not mistaken, in the original Hebrew the word “death” is actually plural. I would personally say it this way, “In dying you will die”.
I don't really speak Hebrew. I know just enough to follow along in the Prayer Book. But I researched this as best I could. The Hebrew word for death is מָוֶת (mavet), and is not plural. In Hebrew, the plural form is מוֹתִים (motim), though it is not commonly used in a literal sense. The plural form can convey a more abstract or figurative meaning, often referring to multiple instances or types of death, rather than multiple deaths in a straightforward, literal sense.

In Genesis, the word death is never used. You are perhaps thinking of the word DIE, which is a verb.
  • Genesis 2:17: "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die" (Hebrew: כִּי בְּיוֹם אֲכָלְךָ מִמֶּנּוּ מוֹת תָּמוּת, ki beyom akhalcha mimenu mot tamut).
In this verse, the word מוֹת (mot) is used, which is the infinitive form and can be understood as "dying you shall die," which is exactly what you were saying. It emphasizes the certainty of death. But it is not in the plural form.
Although a type of death is when we stop breathing, I wouldn’t define death in that fashion although it is a death. I would define death as any area that is “separated from the life of God”.
I will accept that you use the word this way, since our language certainly has a long tradition of using the word death figuratively, indicating that something that once was is no longer the case, usually with a sad connotation. However, your use feels strange and awkward to me. I just don't use the word death that way. I tend to think of "separation from God" as more like discord, a lack of harmony, than as death.
I took note that Adam said, “I was afraid” whereas he was never afraid before. Fear is simply an area of separation from the Shalom of God. It isn’t in alignment with the proper order of God.
I tend to view that passage as similar to when a child knows they have done something forbidden and is worried about daddy finding out, because he will be angry and discipline them. It doesn't mean the child is somehow "separated" from the Father, who still loves and accepts them as his child.

Fear is a perfectly natural instinct, a response to a threat (real or imagined). It is a good thing. It helps us run away when encountered by a wild animal.
So, first I would say he experienced a spiritual separation from God. (Thus the sacrificing of animals, the washing process at the Bronze Basin.) And the rest of the process to enter the Holy of Holies.
Within the stories, there is no statement that sacrifices etc. were BECAUSE of Adam and Eve sinning and being driven from Eden.

Now let's look at this historically. Sacrifices originated in Middle Eastern culture. The idea was that natural Powers such as a hurricane, a war, or a great king (aka gods) could be placated. Israelite culture evolved out of that previous thinking, and adopted the practice of sacrifice, redefining it as a form of adoration or atonement.

Atonement means to make right a wrong.
Atonement is not something God does. God forgives, but that is not atonement. Since God has done no wrong that he needs to make right, we cannot say that God atones. Atonement is something that we humans do.

It seems to be basic human instinct to divide things, places, and people into sacred verses normal. I believe this is because by designating something as sacred and holy, meaning set aside for God's purposes, assists us in our recognition of God's presence and his impact on our lives. This is why the Bible says the Sabbath is a holy time, the Holy of Holies is a sacred place, the Kohanim (priests) are sacred people, etc. etc. If you use Strong's concordance to view all the times the Bible uses the word "holy," it will wow you just how extensively it is used.
From there I believe he experienced a death in His thinking process. He lied.
Again, I simply can't follow you into this usage of the word death, although I understand that it works for you. Lying has existed among our ancestors before they even became homo sapiens. There was never a time we didn't lie, thus nothing that once existed ended.
In our view, satan is the author of fear and the father of lies.
I do appreciate that your gospel says this, so it is your truth. However, no statement of this exists in the Tanakh. Lying is simply what people do in self interest, to hide what is private or what they have done wrong, or simply for the pleasure of making a story more interesting.

As to Satan, you should be aware that Jews have a completely different idea than Christians.

First, I would say that most Jews see Satan as simply a metaphor for our own Yetzer Hara (inclination to evil). So for example, the story in Job of Satan going up to heaven and making a bet with God is simply a literary device, not an illustration of fact.

However, among those Jews who do believe Satan is a literal heavenly entity, they believe his is an angel who works for God, but simply has a very horrible job to do. In Judaism, angels have no free will, so they are incapable of rebellion. For us, there is no such thing as a fallen angel.
Like when Hosea buys back Gomer after having married her. Man is the adulterer from the beginning being married with God (not in the natural sense) , always leaving God’s ways and creating our own ways. Going after other gods if not making ourselves our own gods. In the allegory, a slave to our own sins but He buys us back and says in Isaiah "the LORD who created you says, “Do not be afraid—I will save you. I have called you by name—you are mine.” He bought us back with a price.
Hosea tells his story of Gomer as an illustration of God's faithfulness to Israel even when Israel is not faithful to God. You have responded to this story by connecting it to your own experience that God similarly loves all of mankind despite our sin. This is fine -- it is perfectly appropriate to respond to literature by making a personal application to one's own life, even if that is not the intent of the author.

Again, so sorry for the length of this post. If you have only skimmed it or skipped around, I entirely understand.

IndigoChild5559

Yes. Allegedly.

Right, thus allegedly.
You apparently don't understand the meaning of the word allegedly. We use the word alleged when a claim or accusation is made that is not yet proven. Since I gave you ACTUAL EXAMPLES, which you ACCEPTED, then the item is PROVEN, not alleged.
They are also subject to bias, corruption, error, dogma - all of the same things that theologians are subject to, but we aren't scientists and theologians by profession anyway.
All human beings, including you and me, are subject to confirmation bias and an inclination towards self interest. However, these things exist on a spectrum, not a true/false. IOW some people are highly inclined to confirmation bias, while others have a much greater capacity to move past their bias when presented with actual evidence.

Those people who have a higher amount of confirmation bias simply don't make it as scientists, because their studies are exposed as not proving their point. Similarly, those scientists who cheat via fabrication or poor statistics are eventually outed as frauds when their research is unable to be replicated. They just don't last in the scientific community.

jimb

Premium Member
You apparently don't understand the meaning of the word allegedly. We use the word alleged when a claim or accusation is made that is not yet proven. Since I gave you ACTUAL EXAMPLES, which you ACCEPTED, then the item is PROVEN, not alleged.

All human beings, including you and me, are subject to confirmation bias and an inclination towards self interest. However, these things exist on a spectrum, not a true/false. IOW some people are highly inclined to confirmation bias, while others have a much greater capacity to move past their bias when presented with actual evidence.

Those people who have a higher amount of confirmation bias simply don't make it as scientists, because their studies are exposed as not proving their point. Similarly, those scientists who cheat via fabrication or poor statistics are eventually outed as frauds when their research is unable to be replicated. They just don't last in the scientific community.
When I was in graduate school, a wise professor told me to try to prove myself wrong, as that is what others will do.

IndigoChild5559

When I was in graduate school, a wise professor told me to try to prove myself wrong, as that is what others will do.
That's really a very excellent suggestion.

When I was in high school, a history teacher gave us a unique essay assignment. We were to take something in history and write two essays about it, one favorable, and the other adversarial. I chose slavery. The process really helped me to think on a higher level. In fact, I found it so helpful, that years later when I myself taught high school, I gave out the same assignment.

My father also helped me develop critical thinking skills. Every Sunday afternoon, we would study Bible, Theology, and Church history. He would pick a topic like free will, such as in the context of Calvinism v. Arminianism, and ask me for my opinion and my reasons. Then he would utterly demolish all my arguments. He turned me into a Calvinist for five whole minutes. Once I had changed my mind, he would switch sides and argue the reverse, LOL. IOW, he was more concerned with the quality of my thought than in my actual position. These conversations were very hard, but utterly delightful, and enormously helpful.

Last edited:
Numbers 23:19 God is not a man...nor a son of man.
1 Samuel 15:29 for he is not a man
Hosea 11:9 I am God and not a man
Job 9:32 For he is not a man

So four times, FOUR, the Tanakh repeats the same teaching. Wouldn't you think that makes it rather important?
had you done some research you would not have been stuck in the same place. what that verse means is that a sinful man cannot die for another sinful man. all are sinners except jesus. jesus did not sin and was sinless so he is the perfect lamb whom god sacrified for us and also old testament prophets like isaiah ezekiel and jeremaiah and others prophesied that jesus will be crucified.

Coder

...lamb whom god sacrificed...
I don't believe in human sacrifice. I think that this is all simply passages from Jewish Scripture that were found to fit the narrative of a new religion that ends the sacrifices of animals in the Roman empire. I think that ending animal sacrifices is a good thing, but the new religion that was created was largely fabricated including artificial use of Jewish Scriptures.

Last edited:

Maninthemiddle

I suppose that all depends on what you think the nature of God is. For me, the nature of God is that he is the creator and not creation, so for me, it would be counter to God's nature for him to become a rock or tree or human. But I do recognize that not everyone shares that point of view.

My verses were really designed to question those who accept the authority of the Tanakh (OT) but for some reason still think that Jesus is God.
So are you saying he can create a rock but does not possess the power to be one.
Quite limited then

Coder

So are you saying he can create a rock but does not possess the power to be one.
If I may join in.
Can you define the power of being a rock?
Can you define a rock? You can only define a rock using language based on repeatable patterns but no one can define what a rock really is any more than someone can define what time really is outside of the reference to physical events.

Last edited:

Maninthemiddle

If I may join in.
Can you define the power of being a rock?
God doesn't make the rules, God is the rules.
Then he can become what he chooses.
God is no more Jesus then he is a rock, or any other object.
Because there is no separation between God and the rock or the rock and the tree or the tree and God.
Everything is connected, I am not talking about the power in being a rock, I said he has the power to be one, to be anything he chooses.
For eg Muslims say God has unlimited power then they say he cannot be a man.
What they don't understand is non of us are men, a man is simply the vehicle we temporarily inhabit to connect to the physical realm.

Coder

...no separation between...
I somewhat think along that line. E.g. The physical world is in God's "mind". We have no perfect language to describe. We are in the same realm of thought (no pun intended). Pleasure. I have a Christian background but I now have a different understanding, including that many of the stories in what is called the "New Testament" are not factually true.

>> Then he can become what he chooses.
With regards to that aspect. Out of respect for God, I don't try to define God as any particular thing, rock or otherwise.

I do see significant value in your general direction of thinking, and I find it interesting.

>> "Vehicle" and "God is no more Jesus then he is a rock, or any other object."
I see your point based on your perspective of vehicle. When Christians say that God became a man, they also say that God created the vehicle directly instead of the ordinary way. Then God worked with the vehicle in a different way than most humans. I don't rule out that God could do such nor do I rule out that a human "vehicle" has a different capacity by God's design than a rock. E.g. Jewish people believe that God worked through prophets and Moses. I don't rule out that God taught in some way through a brilliant rabbi possibly named Jesus. However I no longer believe the general Christian story because of the clear socio-political motives that seeded the story, and also the artificial/contrived aspects of much of the story as well as some scriptures that directly indicate artificiality. Also the resultant trinity teaching further confirms its falsehood. As such, it simply has evidence of its falsehood such that no one should be expected to believe it.

Last edited:

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
For eg Muslims say God has unlimited power then they say he cannot be a man..
Not cannot .. IS not.

Why would G-d 'pretend' to be a man?
The first commandment is to worship none beside Him.

G-d has always sent us messengers/prophets from amongst ourselves, so why would He suddenly
decide otherwise .. to purposely confuse us?

No .. Greek philosophy already had trinities of gods .. it's a mish-mash that evolved due to Hellenist culture, and purposely encouraged by Roman authority.

Maninthemiddle

Not cannot .. IS not.

Why would G-d 'pretend' to be a man?
The first commandment is to worship none beside Him.

G-d has always sent us messengers/prophets from amongst ourselves, so why would He suddenly
decide otherwise .. to purposely confuse us?

No .. Greek philosophy already had trinities of gods .. it's a mish-mash that evolved due to Hellenist culture, and purposely encouraged by Roman authority.
The Quran say Gods word cannot be corrupted, the Quran says the Bible was also Gods word so explain to me why Muslims say the Bible has been corrupted.
And I say cannot not is not as Jesus in the flesh passed already, obviously.

Coder

Absolutely! John 1:3, the Greek demiurge. The "god" who the creator worked through.

I also believe that unity and the end of animal sacrifices was part of the motivation. The two may have gone hand in hand because the sacrifices, places of sacrifice, and holidays of sacrifice were different between polytheists and Jewish people. Animal sacrifices and circumcision were two major obstacles to unification. Much of Paul's letters focuses on these two things, and his solution was to end the requirement of circumcision and have Jesus substitute for the sacrifices. However, Jesus also was substituted for the "gods" and "sons of gods". So, see the problem? If the "god" is also the "sacrifice", what does that mean? Can the "god", which has been changed to mean "God", die? No. The theological solution? He is resurrected and the sacrifice is "re-presented" in church services. The polytheists also ate the sacrificed meat (the "body"), the solution in Christianity: the "body" of the sacrificed "god" (now "God") is also eaten. Now, the polytheists were at home with a ritual that had a (quite graphic) symbol of the sacrifice (crucifix), the "re-presentation" of the sacrifice, and the eating the sacrifice. Notice also that the body is unleavened bread for commonality with Judaism. However, few Jewish people joined the new religion, and understandably so!

"...how Romans thought about sacrifice...sacrifice as violence and sacrifice as ritual meal."

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Quite limited then
It's not a question of can he. It's a question of will he.

For example, I am perfectly capable of torturing someone to death. But that runs counter to my nature. I would never do it in a million years. Even the idea of doing it for the purposes of writing this post is profoundly disturbing to me.

Betho_br

Numbers 23:19 God is not a man...nor a son of man.
So four times, FOUR, the Tanakh repeats the same teaching. Wouldn't you think that makes it rather important?

(Nm 23:19 [IHOT+/IGNT+])
לא˙ H3808 not אישׁ˙ H376 a man, אל˙ H410 God ויכזב˙ H3576 that he should lie; ובן˙ H1121 neither the son אדם˙ H120 of man, ויתנחם˙ H5162 that he should repent: ההוא˙ H1931 hath he אמר˙ H559 said, ולא˙ H3808 and shall he not יעשׂה˙ H6213 do ודבר˙ H1696 or hath he spoken, ולא˙ H3808 and shall he not יקימנה׃˙ H6965 make it good?

The statement in Numbers 23:19 clearly emphasizes the distinction between God (אל) and man (איש), underscoring that God does not lie nor repent, unlike humans, who are subject to such failings. The verse highlights God’s constancy and truthfulness, contrasting with the fallibility of mankind. Therefore, God, in this context, is not like men who may lie or change their minds, signifying His immutability and absolute faithfulness in His words and actions.

However, the phrase — “אל can in many cases be אישׁ a man” — seems to introduce a theological tension: the possibility that God, in certain instances, can manifest or be perceived as a man (אישׁ). This touches upon the idea of divine manifestations in human form, a concept seen in several biblical traditions. For example, in Genesis 18, God appears to Abraham in the form of three men (אֲנָשִׁים), and in Exodus 3, God speaks to Moses through the burning bush, taking a tangible, though not human, form.

The tension highlighting seems to revolve around the idea of a transcendent, immutable God versus the possibility of His imminent manifestation in human or tangible forms. In Christian thought, this is further developed in the doctrine of the incarnation (John 1:14), where God, in Jesus Christ, takes on human form. Even within Jewish thought, there are theophanies where God "descends" or manifests in ways that humans can comprehend.

This "antagonistic" declaration might suggest that while God is not essentially a man (i.e., subject to human failings), He can, in some cases, manifest or act through human figures. How do you view this interpretation in relation to your question?

IndigoChild5559

(Nm 23:19 [IHOT+/IGNT+])
לא˙ H3808 not אישׁ˙ H376 a man, אל˙ H410 God ויכזב˙ H3576 that he should lie; ובן˙ H1121 neither the son אדם˙ H120 of man, ויתנחם˙ H5162 that he should repent: ההוא˙ H1931 hath he אמר˙ H559 said, ולא˙ H3808 and shall he not יעשׂה˙ H6213 do ודבר˙ H1696 or hath he spoken, ולא˙ H3808 and shall he not יקימנה׃˙ H6965 make it good?

The statement in Numbers 23:19 clearly emphasizes the distinction between God (אל) and man (איש), underscoring that God does not lie nor repent, unlike humans, who are subject to such failings. The verse highlights God’s constancy and truthfulness, contrasting with the fallibility of mankind. Therefore, God, in this context, is not like men who may lie or change their minds, signifying His immutability and absolute faithfulness in His words and actions.

However, the phrase — “אל can in many cases be אישׁ a man” — seems to introduce a theological tension: the possibility that God, in certain instances, can manifest or be perceived as a man (אישׁ). This touches upon the idea of divine manifestations in human form, a concept seen in several biblical traditions. For example, in Genesis 18, God appears to Abraham in the form of three men (אֲנָשִׁים), and in Exodus 3, God speaks to Moses through the burning bush, taking a tangible, though not human, form.

The tension highlighting seems to revolve around the idea of a transcendent, immutable God versus the possibility of His imminent manifestation in human or tangible forms. In Christian thought, this is further developed in the doctrine of the incarnation (John 1:14), where God, in Jesus Christ, takes on human form. Even within Jewish thought, there are theophanies where God "descends" or manifests in ways that humans can comprehend.

This "antagonistic" declaration might suggest that while God is not essentially a man (i.e., subject to human failings), He can, in some cases, manifest or act through human figures. How do you view this interpretation in relation to your question?
Where did you copy and paste this from?

Maninthemiddle

It's not a question of can he. It's a question of will he.

For example, I am perfectly capable of torturing someone to death. But that runs counter to my nature. I would never do it in a million years. Even the idea of doing it for the purposes of writing this post is profoundly disturbing to me.
Is it against Gods nature to appear as a human in the form of Jesus, who are you to say yes or know.