• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God's existence necessary?

Is God's existence necessary?

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So,what exactly is this "conceivable" natural cause?

Besides the simple fact that it is eminently conceivable the universe arose from currently unknown natural causes, there is, among other things, the possibility that the universe is part of an eternal multi-verse.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, it would appear that you believe something is (metaphysically) necessary?

Maybe. Admission of ignorance, but I'm never quite sure how tied to our limitations metaphysics is. If we are unable to measure something, or even determine it's existence, is that enough to make something 'metaphysical' in nature? I suppose not.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God, Humanity, Religionand science are all an extension of each other. . They all are a part of a whole. They are symbiotic
I don't see religion and science as being compatible at all. Whole different viewpoints, methodologies and presuppositions.
Gould tried to smooth over the controversy with his "non overlapping magesteria," but I think he was pushing things for harmony's sake.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But the point is that you cannot conceive of one.
That would imply an infinite regress (a logical fallacy).
I don't follow.
We're not wired to think in this way. We're not neurologically able to grok relativity or quantum mechanics. This doesn't make them wrong.
A flatworm can't comprehend Bridge, that doesn't reflect on the reality of the game.

Oldsoul

I don't see religion and science as being compatible at all. .

"Science" has been the best attempt at solidifying history.
Religion dominates history..
I can't imagine a better fit.

Religion has left a mark on every civilization throughout history.. Religion pre dates science.

Humanity drove the wedge between science and religion.

Didn't the biggest and brightest scientists give up after the Big Bang Theory..?

Personally I can't imagine a better fit..
Religion and science hand in hand. .

Gambit

Maybe. Admission of ignorance, but I'm never quite sure how tied to our limitations metaphysics is. If we are unable to measure something, or even determine it's existence, is that enough to make something 'metaphysical' in nature? I suppose not.

Yes. I believe it is.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
God's transcendence and immanence are two different sides of the same coin. Besides, what relevance does this have to do with the question posed in the OP?
If we accept as I do that God's existence is the transcendent and immanent sides of the one coin...there is nothing else in existence except God.. So to rephrase the OP, it could be stated thus...is existence necessary? ...which is sort of a silly question...that's what I was getting at.. :)

Gambit

If we accept as I do that God's existence is the transcendent and immanent sides of the one coin...there is nothing else in existence except God.

This does not necessarily follow. Classical theism holds that God is both transcendent and immanent. But it does not hold that the "creation" is identical with the Creator. (You seem to believe in some kind of pantheism.)

So to rephrase the OP, it could be stated thus...is existence necessary? ...which is sort of a silly question...that's what I was getting at.. :)

What is the pantheistic explanation for why there is something rather than nothing?

"Science" has been the best attempt at solidifying history.
Religion dominates history..
I can't imagine a better fit.

Religion has left a mark on every civilization throughout history.. Religion pre dates science.

Humanity drove the wedge between science and religion.

Didn't the biggest and brightest scientists give up after the Big Bang Theory..?

Personally I can't imagine a better fit..
Religion and science hand in hand. .

Scientific endeavor is concerned with a working body of knowledge, not solidifying history.
Religion is a primitive attempt at science, seeking to correlate causation with observed reality and lacking the structure to do so. Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on your taste) religion has held on as a form of behavioral modification and/or control.
Both have left beautiful and reprehensible marks on humanity and society. However, science has, demonstrably, far exceeded religion in every realm of applicable knowledge.

arthra

Baha'i
While the essence of God is unknowabe for us I believe God has sent Messengers and Prophets to guide us... as humans in a progressive direction...so yes God is "necessary" for us to progress. God has progressively revealed Himself to us through the Prophets which include the teachings that are necessary for our advancement.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
This does not necessarily follow. Classical theism holds that God is both transcendent and immanent. But it does not hold that the "creation" is identical with the Creator. (You seem to believe in some kind of pantheism.)

What is the pantheistic explanation for why there is something rather than nothing?
I don't do labels....God is omnipresent and so there is nothing in existence separate from God....God is one....there was never a beginning because God is eternal..creation and destruction have been going on eternally...beginning and endings only apply to immanent forms...Nothing does not exist and never has....all that exists has always existed...only the forms change...births and deaths, creation and destruction, evolution and devolution...dasal...

Gambit

While the essence of God is unknowabe for us I believe God has sent Messengers and Prophets to guide us... as humans in a progressive direction...so yes God is "necessary" for us to progress. God has progressively revealed Himself to us through the Prophets which include the teachings that are necessary for our advancement.

You have failed to respond to the question I posed in the OP. The question is: "Is God's EXISTENCE necessary?"

Gambit

I don't do labels

Then we can't verbally communicate with each other.

.God is omnipresent and so there is nothing in existence separate from God....God is one....there was never a beginning because God is eternal..creation and destruction have been going on eternally...beginning and endings only apply to immanent forms...Nothing does not exist and never has....all that exists has always existed...only the forms change...births and deaths, creation and destruction, evolution and devolution.

2 questions:

1) Are the perishable "immanent forms" separate from your God?

2) Is your pantheistic God's existence necessary?