• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God's existence necessary?

• Total voters

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Then we can't verbally communicate with each other.

2 questions:

1) Are the perishable "immanent forms" separate from your God?

2) Is your pantheistic God's existence necessary?
Sure we can....I am non-denominational wrt religious labels...but I don't care if you call me a pantheist...

1) No (..and btw, God is not mine)

2) 'Existence' is just another label to represent the one and same reality as the label 'God'... as I noted before...to ask if existence is necessary is like asking if the universe is necessary, is life necessary, is reality necessary? ....silly yes..:)

Gambit

Correct; it is saying we don't know the explanation. Like, even positing God begs the question what caused God. Either way we are in over our heads.

We are talking about beliefs here. And theists believe that God is a necessary being whose existence is uncaused. That does explain why there is something rather than nothing.

Gambit

Sure we can....I am non-denominational wrt religious labels...but I don't care if you call me a pantheist...

The term "pantheism" is a philosophical one, not a religious one.

1) No (..and btw, God is not mine)

Then something must necessarily exist to account for these contingent forms.

By the way, I said "your God" to refer to your conception of God.

2) 'Existence' is just another label to represent the one and same reality as the label 'God'... as I noted before...to ask if existence is necessary is like asking if the universe is necessary, is life necessary, is reality necessary? ....silly yes..:)

You apparently don't believe the the existence of any particular form is necessary.

While the essence of God is unknowabe for us I believe God has sent Messengers and Prophets to guide us... as humans in a progressive direction...so yes God is "necessary" for us to progress. God has progressively revealed Himself to us through the Prophets which include the teachings that are necessary for our advancement.

That's pretty ad hoc.

Unification

Seeing it's human "being's" that abstractly define and create "God," if we didn't exist... "God's" existence wouldn't be necessary.

What makes sense is that the definition of "God" is "Being."

No human "being's," no "God."
No "God," no human "being's."
A mutual dependence.

It's only "necessary" if there is "Being."

Going further,
Perhaps "being" Good is "being" God.
Perhaps "being" wicked is "being" human.

The "Being" is metaphysical.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The term "pantheism" is a philosophical one, not a religious one.

Then something must necessarily exist to account for these contingent forms.

By the way, I said "your God" to refer to your conception of God.

You apparently don't believe the the existence of any particular form is necessary.
For your further religious instruction....Information about the Pantheistic Religion of India...
. http://www.truthforsaints.com/Compare_World_Religions/Hinduism_Hindu_Beliefs/

Yes God exists...everything lives moves, and has their being in God...the essence (energy and matter) of the perishable things does not perish..

The existence of every perishable thing is the manifestation of God...there was never a time when perishable things like stars, planets, human, rocks, etc., were not present... to ask if they are necessary is like asking if universal manifestation is necessary?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
You might claim God is unnecessary, but with out God I don't believe any life as we know it would exist.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
But you do believe that there is something nonphysical that necessarily exists?

I allow that it's possible, I guess, but to be honest I can't even conceptualize what such a thing would be like, or what it means.
Above my pay grade, basically.

Gambit

What makes sense is that the definition of "God" is "Being."

Actually, that is the classical definition of God.

"God is the only being whose essence is existence itself." - St. Thomas Aquinas

Going further,
Perhaps "being" Good is "being" God.
Perhaps "being" wicked is "being" human.

"Goodness and being are really the same. They differ only conceptually. ...Something is obviously good inasmuch as it is a being" - St. Thomas Aquinas

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You either understand why an infinite regress is a logical fallacy or you don't. If you don't, then we have nothing more to debate.
Ah, the "if you don't play the game I want to play, I am taking my ball and going home" strategy.
Nice.

allfoak

Alchemist
With all due respect. .
Do you actually think humanity has all the answers?
Time exceeds humanity..

Actually, you have all the answers.
As well as every other individual.

There is a source of knowledge within that is our eternal soul.
We have not been abandoned to the ravages of time..

Oldsoul

Actually, you have all the answers.
As well as every other individual.

There is a source of knowledge within that is our eternal soul.
We have not been abandoned to the ravages of time..

So..
TOGETHER / Collectively we have all the answers?

Or..

TOGETHER / Collectively we will find all the answers ?