• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God's existence necessary?

Is God's existence necessary?

• Total voters

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Without man any belief in God would not exist.

Without man belief in science and evolution wouldn't exist, your point??? Although I'm sure animals believe in God, in many respects they are smarter than humans.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
That's simply your opinion, and a good reason why there is not any point in debating with you, your mind is made up, of what, I don't know, probably Ice Cream!!

Aw, can't you cope with people challenging your beliefs? :p

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
That you just need a hug..

Be my guest: :p

spiny-norman-demotivational-poster-1210023291-gif.jpg

Laika

Premium Member
Voted "both". God has been a "necessary" part of humanity's understanding until very recently. really, we are only talking about the last two hundred years where atheism has had any serious credibility, even if it has been mainly confined to intellectual circles. a god of some description acts as the "first cause" or "prime mover" to explain why things are the way they are.
However, just because God has been a logically necessary explanation, does not mean it is the correct explanation when we look at these problems scientifically o identify a natural cause. There is some really "complicated" philosophy behind why we'd chose one explanation over another, but the rule of thumb is, is that natural explanations get results; we can repeat the process over and over again to demonstrate there is a causal relationship. miracles are a "one-off". Any attempt to develop an understanding of the universe which eliminates god will have to explain why so many people believed in something that doesn't exist. so even if there is no god- you still have to account why people couldn't find a better explanation for the majority of human history.

Gambit

Sure, but science is based on evidence, not on imagination and wishful thinking.

Science also works by making inferences (e.g. there is no direct evidence for dark matter or dark energy, yet most physicists believe that they exist).

McBell

Admiral Obvious
That's simply your opinion, and a good reason why there is not any point in debating with you, your mind is made up, of what, I don't know, probably Ice Cream!!

Are you saying that you cannot debate someone who has, like yourself, already made up their mind?