• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Hell permenant?

may

jacquie4000 said:
Satan was at was an angel who of course defied God's word and was kicked from heaven.......So that would seem to say that heaven could also not be permenant.
satan was kicked out of heaven when the heavenly kingdom goverment was set up in 1914 and this heavenly kingdom goverment will last for ever
And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin. And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite Daniel 2;44

may

Kcnorwood said:
The Bible says they the devil and his angels are cast into the "lake of fire" to be in eternal torment. (Rev. 20:10).

And the Devil who was misleading them was hurled into the lake of fire and sulphur, where both the wild beast and the false prophet [already were]; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. rev 20;10
But what of Revelation 20:10 about the Devil’s being "tormented day and night for ever and ever"? In Jesus’ time jailers were called "tormenters." So when the Scripture says he will be "tormented day and night for ever and ever" in the "lake of fire," it means that the Devil will be restrained in a never-ending detention of destruction. Indeed, it will be "for ever and ever."

peacefull

It was reported in Saheeh Muslim that Aboo Sa’eed al-Khudree (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘As for the people of Hell, they are its inhabitants, and they neither live therein nor die. But there are people who will enter Hell because of their sins – or mistakes – so Allaah will cause them to die once, then when they become like coal, He will give permission for intercession (for them). They will be brought group by group to the rivers of Paradise. Then it will be said: "O people of Paradise! Pour water on them." Then they will grow like seeds (i.e., the seeds of herbs and aromatic plants, or it was said, small plants that grow in between grasses, or it may mean wheat).’"
The scholars said: "What is meant by the people of Hell are its kaafir inhabitants, who will never come out of it and never die at all.
Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"But those who disbelieve (in the Oneness of Allaah), for them will be the Fire of Hell. Neither will it have a complete killing effect on them so that they die, nor shall its torment be lightened for them. Thus do We requite every disbeliever!" [Faatir 35:36]
As for the sinners among those who believe in the Oneness of Allaah, those who have committed major sins (kabaa’ir), they will be punished in accordance with the degree of their sins for a period decreed by Allaah, then they will die a lesser death such that they no longer feel anything, for a period decreed by Allaah. Then they will be brought out dead, turned into coals and carried like luggage, and they will be thrown into the rivers of Paradise and the water of life will be poured over them. Then they will grow, like wheat at first, but quickly, like herbs. Then they will get stronger and be fully formed, and will be taken to their homes in Paradise. And Allaah knows best.

Judgement Day

FFH said:
The conditions of Hell are permanent for Satan and his angels (the 1/3 who followed him in the pre-existence)

There will be many who will spend some time in hell but then will be redeemed from hell and receive their reward according to their works, faith and repentance, except those who are not worthy of any reward who will be cast into outer darkness.

Heavy stuff hugh ?!?! But you already knew that I'm sure.

So there is an exit to hell for all except for Satan and his angels.

Outer darkness is not hell in my opinion. Outer darkness is where few (like Hitler) will go after spending time in hell, which is where Satan dwells, which is seperate from outer darkness.
In Islam, it is very similar to this. Except there is no outer darkness part.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Judgement Day said:
In Islam, it is very similar to this. Except there is no outer darkness part.

As an aside I've heard the the "outer darkness" described as this: When the New Jerusalem comes it has been suggested that it could hover above the Earth. It could be possible that the outer darkness is that area underneath the New Jerusalem that is in the shade. This could be a metaphor for Earth.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Hinduism doesn’t believe in a permanent hell because we believe in karma and reincarnation which is God’s way of giving us numerous chances to correct our past bad karma and generate good karma for the future. However, there are temporary hellish regions where souls go to suffer but then they move on. We believe that we all come from God and we will all return to him/her eventually.

Kcnorwood

sandy whitelinger said:
Two things here. First you are describing the lake of fire and not hell. Hell is a place reserved for Satan and his angels and will be thrown into the lake of fire. Next what you are describing is that the lake of fire is eternal but not the people who are thrown into it. Try Matt. 25:46 for a reference to that.

There are probaly a lot more references to those who go to the lake of fire perishing than being there for eternity in torment.

Um, did you miss that part where Jesus said hell is everlasting?

logician

The whole idea of Xianity is to believe in Jesus to be "saved" from your sins, to inherit eternal life and escape damnation. Of course, this means the Xian god must be a monster, to torture non-believers for an eternity. Please tell me if this is a wrong statement.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
wanderer085 said:
The whole idea of Xianity is to believe in Jesus to be "saved" from your sins, to inherit eternal life and escape damnation. Of course, this means the Xian god must be a monster, to torture non-believers for an eternity. Please tell me if this is a wrong statement.

It's wrong. Your statement is a characature of the western juridical concept but this is neither the only nor the oldest understanding. Eastern Christians never accepted the doctrine of Penal Substitutionary Atonement and continues to adhere to the much older Incarnational Soteriology (and therefore understands salvation in a very different way - try investigating the idea of theosis) most famously expressed by St. Athanasios.

James

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
sandy whitelinger said:
Where I live we call that Buffalo.

Hyuk hyuk. There's a saying like that in Trinidad where I live. They say that all Trinidadians are definitely going to heaven because we are going through hell already. My boyfriend's sister said that God doesn't send major natural disasters to Trinidad becuase Trinis are already self-destructive.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Further to my previous post about Hindus believing in temporary hellish regions...I once read that when one commits adultery and he dies, he has to embrace a fire-like version of the person he committed the adultery with.

Kcnorwood

Everyone has thire version of hell that they were taught if they ever went to church.
I was taught that hell was everylasting & that you will burn in the lake of fire forever.
I once said that I didn't think that hell was in the OT but I found this.....
In the King James Version of the Old Testament, the Hebrew word Sheowl (Sheol) was frequently translated "hell." But it was almost as frequently translated "grave.

I was raised southren babtist & they LOVE fire & brimstone sermons.

As far as I'm concerened & what I can remember from my church days is hell is forever & there is NO escpaing it.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

wanderer085 said:

It is sure looking that way.

But in deference to JTP, I concede that only some sects of Christianity espouse eternal hell.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
wanderer085 said:
I don't know which flavor of Christianity you're referring to, but I've never thought that salvation meant escaping damnation. The God I worship isn't even going to send atheists to hell. Of course, I've been told on more than one occasion that I'm not a real Christian, but a fake, so that may explain my perspective.