• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is hell too harsh?

Pastek

Sunni muslim
What gives god the right to put people into eternal suffering for not being "perfect"? Doesn't this seem a little unfair? How is god justified in letting his own creation suffer forever? If there is a heaven with this kind of god, hell is the place for me. How can he expect people to enjoy heaven when there are people who will burn forever because of the god the worship?

It's not that complicated to avoid hell.

Rapture Era

Doesn't say saved from hell...though I guess you can assume.

I wonder, do Muslims confess that Jesus is Lord?
LOL! Left himself wide open for that one!:D
I cant think of anything more horrific to be saved from than hell. There are numerous scriptures supporting a persons decision to accept Christ in their life, locking in their eternal residents in heaven, but I wont mention them because they have been mentioned so many times already. And, it seems no cares anyway.:(
No they dont.:(

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
You are so right!:yes: Romans 10:9 "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."
Let's reverse this.

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

Matthew 4:8-9

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
LOL! Left himself wide open for that one!:D
I cant think of anything more horrific to be saved from than hell. There are numerous scriptures supporting a persons decision to accept Christ in their life, locking in their eternal residents in heaven, but I wont mention them because they have been mentioned so many times already. And, it seems no cares anyway.:(
No they dont.:(

Well, that's because it frankly doesn't matter, since it can't be independently confirmed.

Rapture Era

Only God is the Lord. Jesus is the Messiah, we don't believe that he's God :no:
Jesus says He is God . . . . . . . John 10:30 "I and the Father are one.”
John 1:1-3 "1In the beginning was the Word (Jesus), and the Word (Jesus) was with God, and the Word(Jesus) was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. 3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made."
Pretty hard to get around this! This is hard core scripture my friend!

Philomath

Sadhaka
Jesus says He is God . . . . . . . John 10:30 "I and the Father are one.”
John 1:1-3 "1In the beginning was the Word (Jesus), and the Word (Jesus) was with God, and the Word(Jesus) was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. 3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made."
Pretty hard to get around this! This is hard core scripture my friend!

May I direct you to this thread
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/religious-debates/61330-did-jesus-say-he-god.html

There's not a single verse in the bible where Jesus says that he is God.

Rapture Era

Let's reverse this.

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

Matthew 4:8-9
Your point?:confused:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I believe freewill still exists even though God knows the future. His knowing the future does not change or impact the fact that each person makes choices which they are personally responsible for.
So if god knows you will do such-and-such on August 25th, 2013 is it possible to choose to do differently? From what I see, you will do exactly what god sees. If you can do differently then god had better get glasses. Is this the case? If you can't, then your will is not free. Will-is-not-free = no freewill. Seems quite obvious to me :shrug:

This is my perspective, of course you are free to believe in another kind of God if you wish.
Why thank you. :slap:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Your point?:confused:
My point is that telling a Muslim that proclaiming Jesus is Lord is as 'easy' (your claim) as telling a Christian that bowing to Satan will yield similar results. As I'm sure you know that in Islamic tradition the idea that a mortal man can be worshiped as God is blasphemy.
Furthermore, your posts drift into proselytizing, so please keep that in mind and avoid that.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Oh yes, and there is another point I was making. To many members the idea that salvation is conditioned by proclaiming another man God and worshiping him is no different from a personality cult around the late Kim Jong-il. Certainly not 'easy', nor desirable, nor a respectful way for 'salvation'.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I think the first response to the OP in the thread you directed me to got it spot on, he said, "To use Bible quotes to prove it, requires the reader to accept the Truth of the Bible."
If not, none of it matters.

There has to be a reason to accept an old book's contents as proof of anything, and from an outsider's perspective, the Bible is no different than any other Iron Age mythology book.

Rapture Era

My point is that telling a Muslim that proclaiming Jesus is Lord is as 'easy' (your claim) as telling a Christian that bowing to Satan will yield similar results. As I'm sure you know that in Islamic tradition the idea that a mortal man can be worshiped as God is blasphemy.
Furthermore, your posts drift into proselytizing, so please keep that in mind and avoid that.
Yes but Jesus wasnt just mortal man, He was God incarnate. And sorry about dipping into the proseltizing no-no, It wasnt my motive to do so.:sorry1: