• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is homosexuality a choice?

It most certaintly is not a choice, and the easy way to prove this.... Who would choose to be gay? Who would choose to oppressed and beatened and murdered? No one would choose to gay, it's silly ti think otherwise.
people willingly put themselves in dangerous positions all the time. not allowing fear to coerce you into submission is not unheard of, or stupid. the argument that "nobody would choose to be gay" is a lot like "nobody would choose to openly express a disbelief in god". i find this argument to be offensive, and demeaning to those who are honest about their sexuality.

I’m of the opinion that being gay is not a choice. I was just trying to illustrate how religious belief can force a person to draw illogical conclusions. How can he say that he is heterosexual on one hand, but infer that he is also bi-sexual; along with everybody else, apparently?
the idea that every sexually reproducing animal on the planet is bisexual is not unreasonable. to use Meow Mix's example, simply being left-side dominant does not mean that the right side is not useful. i would argue that every animal with two hands is indeed ambidextrous, yet chooses (dont get hung up on that word) to utilize the hand which either feels most natural for them or is most effective. i've written with my left hand (being right-side dominant) a lot of times; it's not pretty, but it's not impossible.

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
people willingly put themselves in dangerous positions all the time. not allowing fear to coerce you into submission is not unheard of, or stupid. the argument that "nobody would choose to be gay" is a lot like "nobody would choose to openly express a disbelief in god". i find this argument to be offensive, and demeaning to those who are honest about their sexuality.
I am sorry but your arguement falls flat. there is nothign else you can do that your family church and friends would abandon you for. Your told you're going to hell,oh and there are people out there that hate you so much they want to kill you. Again, no one would choose to be gay. It's illogical, and I am sorry you're easily offended....

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe
Your friend is gay or bi, he does not want to believe he is. he is grasping at straws out of fear of hell. pretty simple really, straight people do not have gay sex. It is that simple.... it is not a choice..

Well he is married (to a woman) and does not appear to be gay (I’ve never caught him staring at my junk in the head). No, I’m convinced that his religious devotion is so deep (he prays before each meal and he attends Bible study religiously, pardon the pun), that he just flat out refuses to believe that God could have created humans gay.

I am sorry but your arguement falls flat. there is nothign else you can do that your family church and friends would abandon you for. Your told you're going to hell,oh and there are people out there that hate you so much they want to kill you. Again, no one would choose to be gay. It's illogical, and I am sorry you're easily offended....

you seriously think that the only thing that any family, any church, and any group of friends would abandon you for is being open and honest about homosexuality? and that the only thing that anyone would tell you that you're going to hell for, and the only thing people would want to kill you for is being open and honest about homosexuality?

seriously?

Added: you're also insisting that being openly homosexual would cause every friend, family member, and church to reject you. you're assuming anybody cares about being condemned to hell. and you're convinced that everybody who is openly gay is on some mystical hit list.

Last edited:

JustAsking

Educational Use Only
Well he is married (to a woman) and does not appear to be gay (I’ve never caught him staring at my junk in the head). No, I’m convinced that his religious devotion is so deep (he prays before each meal and he attends Bible study religiously, pardon the pun), that he just flat out refuses to believe that God could have created humans gay.

I'd suggest showing him that the "gay" factor isn't limited to humans.

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | 'Gay' penguins 'adopt' chick

Unless he want's to argue that Penguins "choose" their sexuality on a whim just as he suggest humans do.

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe
the idea that every sexually reproducing animal on the planet is bisexual is not unreasonable. to use Meow Mix's example, simply being left-side dominant does not mean that the right side is not useful. i would argue that every animal with two hands is indeed ambidextrous, yet chooses (dont get hung up on that word) to utilize the hand which either feels most natural for them or is most effective. i've written with my left hand (being right-side dominant) a lot of times; it's not pretty, but it's not impossible.[/quote]

Following that logic, we are all murderers as well. I think you are confusing choice with capability.

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
you seriously think that the only thing that any family, any church, and any group of friends would abandon you for is being open and honest about homosexuality? and that the only thing that anyone would tell you that you're going to hell for, and the only thing people would want to kill you for is being open and honest about homosexuality?

seriously?
In America yes, I mean there are teen pregnancies and other such things. But nothing compares to the curent situation with young gays. Gays have all the factors against them. So again, no one would CHOOSE to be gay. It's illogiccal.....

And I seriously hope you're not argueing people actually have a choice....

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe
the idea that every sexually reproducing animal on the planet is bisexual is not unreasonable. to use Meow Mix's example, simply being left-side dominant does not mean that the right side is not useful. i would argue that every animal with two hands is indeed ambidextrous, yet chooses (dont get hung up on that word) to utilize the hand which either feels most natural for them or is most effective. i've written with my left hand (being right-side dominant) a lot of times; it's not pretty, but it's not impossible.

Following that logic, we are all murderers as well. I think you are confusing choice with capability.

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
Didn't you say though he had gay experiences...?

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
Added: you're also insisting that being openly homosexual would cause every friend, family member, and church to reject you. you're assuming anybody cares about being condemned to hell. and you're convinced that everybody who is openly gay is on some mystical hit list.
No I am not, please do yourself a favor and try not to read in between the lines. I say things direct. I am saying that any youth in the country ahs those fears, not that they will happen. Just that it is a fear they have, try not to twist my words please...

i think you're confusing action with chemistry. being a homosexual has nothing to do with having actually acted upon this attraction.
if you really want to go into my explanation about bisexuality amongst sexually reproducing animals we can, there are other threads (titled exactly as this one) that i can link you to in which i've gone over it. i dont mean to derail the thread, even though it is essentially an answer to the OP it's not really involved in what you were planning on discussing.

In America yes, I mean there are teen pregnancies and other such things. But nothing compares to the curent situation with young gays. Gays have all the factors against them. So again, no one would CHOOSE to be gay. It's illogiccal.....
i feel like you're being very short sighted. and being a homosexual is not what brings about stigma and violence, being OPENLY homosexual is.

And I seriously hope you're not argueing people actually have a choice....
nobody has a control over those they are attracted to, people have control (choice) over who they have sex with.
i dont choose to like orange juice, i choose to drink orange juice.

No I am not, please do yourself a favor and try not to read in between the lines. I say things direct. I am saying that any youth in the country ahs those fears, not that they will happen. Just that it is a fear they have, try not to twist my words please...

not to be a jerk, but proofreading would definitely help with clarity.

So in order to not be subjected to violence and hatred and being abandoned you must keep it to yourself?

if you are so terrified of violence, hatred, and abandonment that you are willing to be dishonest with the people around you, then that's your prerogative.

it would be the same if you had an attraction to people of different races, if you opposed the current political regime, if you believed the earth was not flat, and if you believed that there was no god (to name just a few examples).

i, for one, value honesty and expression more than security and acceptance. so i would not (and do not) choose to accept myself and expect others to do the same (or get over it).

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
if you are so terrified of violence, hatred, and abandonment that you are willing to be dishonest with the people around you, then that's your prerogative.
I don't think that is anyones perogitive, it's more out of fear. If it were that easy we wouldn't even be discussing this.
it would be the same if you had an attraction to people of different races, if you opposed the current political regime, if you believed the earth was not flat, and if you believed that there was no god (to name just a few examples).
It is not the same thing, so please do not compare the two.....
i, for one, value honesty and expression more than security and acceptance. so i would not (and do not) choose to accept myself and expect others to do the same (or get over it).
This doesn't even make sense, and what does this have to do with it being a choice or not?

I don't think that is anyones perogitive, it's more out of fear. If it were that easy we wouldn't even be discussing this.
fear is an element for consideration, it's not a removal of will.

It is not the same thing, so please do not compare the two.....
you dont compare things that are the same, you compare things that are similar.
and if you'd like to explain why these things are not similar (keeping in mind that what you are discussing is period specific), then you probably should.

This doesn't even make sense,
you're right, it didn't make sense because i misworded it.
edit: i, for one, value honesty and expression more than security and acceptance. so i ... choose to accept myself and expect others to do the same (or get over it).

and what does this have to do with it being a choice or not?
i've answered your argument as to why you think being openly homosexual is not a choice. you haven't provided another one. and please try to keep in mind that we're not discussing the chemistry that causes attraction, we're discussing open homosexuality.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
According to my religious friend, being gay is one’s own personal choice. He is of the opinion that since God, according to the bible, has made homosexuality a sin; he would not have allowed people to be born gay.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but if he believes that being gay is a choice, doesn’t that mean he is capable of engaging in a homosexual affair at any time? He says he is heterosexual, but if he has a choice in his sexuality, wouldn’t this make him bi-sexual?
When did you (or your religious friend) choose to become straight?

Last edited: