• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is homosexuality a choice?

Zadok

Zadok
Do you choose to see the color red as red, or can you choose to say, see it as purple? Can you train your body to see it as purple? I'm gonna go with no. You can fool your brain, or someone can brainwash you into believing, that what you've always thought was red is actually purple, but that doesn't actually change the colors at hand.

Interesting thought but it is wrong. The human brain has to be wired before cognitive interpretations can take place. In other words until you brain has learned to see any color and interpret it - you will not and cannot see color - even though all the necessary equipment is working to supply your brain with what it needs to interpret color. For a list of scientific research into this subject – see the book “Your Brain on Music”.

This we have to learn (or choose to learn) to see purple (brain development among other things) before we, as humans will or can see purple. This may come as a big surprise to many but as adolescents humans do not have the ability enjoy sexual pleasure – that ability that must be developed as, among other things, the brain must wire itself or learn sexual pleasure (or orientation). – See National Geographic Mag. March edition year 2004 on brain development.

Zadok

JustAsking

Educational Use Only
Interesting thought but it is wrong. The human brain has to be wired before cognitive interpretations can take place. In other words until you brain has learned to see any color and interpret it - you will not and cannot see color - even though all the necessary equipment is working to supply your brain with what it needs to interpret color. For a list of scientific research into this subject – see the book “Your Brain on Music”.

This we have to learn (or choose to learn) to see purple (brain development among other things) before we, as humans will or can see purple. This may come as a big surprise to many but as adolescents humans do not have the ability enjoy sexual pleasure – that ability that must be developed as, among other things, the brain must wire itself or learn sexual pleasure (or orientation). – See National Geographic Mag. March edition year 2004 on brain development.

Zadok

We don't learn to see color any more than we learn to grow a hand during development. Certain parts of our body develop at different times (see puberty for example), we don't "learn" puberty, it just happens at a later date than birth, just like seeing color.

Zadok

Zadok
It most certaintly is not a choice, and the easy way to prove this.... Who would choose to be gay? Who would choose to oppressed and beatened and murdered? No one would choose to gay, it's silly ti think otherwise.

Of all the arguments concerning homosexuality this one really troubles me. If being gay is such a bad thing to be chosen if there is a choice – why argue that homosexuality is okay and not a psychological hiccup? Who would choose to have fear of water, heights, spiders or anything? If no one can execute their will to override impulses – why do we have laws?

If homosexuality is such a bad thing to not be worthy of a choice – why not pursue any and all methods available to cure the problem?

Zadok

Zadok

Zadok
We don't learn to see color any more than we learn to grow a hand during development. Certain parts of our body develop at different times (see puberty for example), we don't "learn" puberty, it just happens at a later date than birth, just like seeing color.

Nice argument - but it is wrong. The brain learns to interpret color in the same way it learns to read brail, play the violin or any other cognitive activity. Often brain trauma causes damage to an area where a person looses the ability to interact with previously things they have learned forcing them to re-learn (re-wire the brain). Even when they remember full well how to walk the brain must rewire itself.

Try googling “brain sex organ”.

Zadok

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Of all the arguments concerning homosexuality this one really troubles me. If being gay is such a bad thing to be chosen if there is a choice – why argue that homosexuality is okay and not a psychological hiccup? Who would choose to have fear of water, heights, spiders or anything? If no one can execute their will to override impulses – why do we have laws?

If homosexuality is such a bad thing to not be worthy of a choice – why not pursue any and all methods available to cure the problem?

Zadok
Would you have chosen to be African American in 1865?

JustAsking

Educational Use Only
Nice argument - but it is wrong. The brain learns to interpret color in the same way it learns to read brail, play the violin or any other cognitive activity. Often brain trauma causes damage to an area where a person looses the ability to interact with previously things they have learned forcing them to re-learn (re-wire the brain). Even when they remember full well how to walk the brain must rewire itself.

Try googling “brain sex organ”.

Zadok

Developing the ability to see color is not the same as learning to read Braille. If you were put in a box with nothing but a box of crayons, you would eventually develop the ability to see color, you wouldn't know the language and therefor the names of the colors, but you would be able to see them for what they are.

Put a Braille book in front of someone and they will just see and feel bumps with no understanding of why they exist.

Color is a sense your body develops, with no cognitive effort.

Reading Braille is a learned ability.

can we clear something up, really fast?

when we use the word homosexual are we referring to someone who is attracted to those of the same gender, or has sex with those of the same gender?

ButTheCatCameBack

when we use the word homosexual are we referring to someone who is attracted to those of the same gender, or has sex with those of the same gender?

That seems like a monumentally unnecessary question.

I think homosexuality is no more a choice than heterosexuality is a choice.

concreteguy

sitting in
If it were a choice to be gay then it's also a choice to not be gay. Almost everything in life is a choice, but when it comes to sexuality I believe it's more about preference and what you percieve as sexual.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Who said I ever had one. ;)
I also thought that is what you meant when you claimed to make a conscious choice to become straight - if you made a choice, then at one point you were considering becoming gay. Did you not understand the question, or was it just a flip answer?

ButTheCatCameBack

I also thought that is what you meant when you claimed to make a conscious choice to become straight - if you made a choice, then at one point you were considering becoming gay. Did you not understand the question, or was it just a flip answer?

Don't forget those bisexual types. Those greedy bunch of miscreants. <<...>>. :)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I knew you weren't being serious, but it was still worth mentioning since a lot of people do unfairly associate bisexuality with promiscuity/polyamory.

Right as I was reading this, there was a song playing that had an outtake at the end where a girl says (clearly with something in her mouth):

"Get this ***ing **** out of my mouth, oh wait -- this tastes like chicken"

And then everyone in the studio is laughing their arses off.

Unrelated, but considering what I was just reading, it felt somehow funny and pertinant.

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe

Is this a trick question? Homosexuality is the sexual attraction among individuals of the same sex. You don’t necessarily have to engage in homosexual sex to be homosexual.