• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it OK to question other people's beliefs?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
If something is beyond question, it most certainly cannot be true, and it tends to lead to various forms of psychological ensnaring. You give it power, and people's heads will roll.

Kelly of the Phoenix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Tjikko

The tree has survived for so long due to vegetative cloning. The visible tree is relatively young, but it is part of an older root system which dates back thousands of years. The trunk of the tree may die and regrow multiple times, but the tree's root system remains intact and in turn sprouts another trunk. The trunk may only live for about 600 years, and when one trunk dies another eventually grows back in its place.[3]

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Mark 16:14-16

Would that have not been the perfect opportunity for Jesus to say that whoever is made a disciple of me will find favor with my Father?

How about Luke 24:46-48?

Is the good news really that God will change his mind and make Earth a paradise for you instead of giving it to us to make? Do you remember Genesis? The good news to Adam was that HE might make Earth a paradise. Sin got in the way. Now the good news is that sin is out of the way.

anonymous9887

bible reader
That's why we don't use carbon dating for things past its natural half-life. This is what creationists consistently fail to mention and how I know creationists are only circulating among their own echo chamber and not looking at actual science. What they're doing is essentially saying all tools are wrong because this alan wrench doesn't fit this bolt, even though there is other wrenches which do.
Radiocarbon 14 is used for archaeologists, not paleontologists, which use mother isotopes which stay stable at a much longer half-life, such as Potassium, Uranium and Thorium radiometric dating, some of which have stable half-lives of BILLIONS of years.
Is there any assumptions being made at any point in the process of Radiocarbon 14?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there any assumptions being made at any point in the process of Radiocarbon 14?
What do you mean? I mean the physiochemical process of radioactive decay is well known. And multiple samples and multiple types of mother isotopes are used. And it's accurate enough that we dated the remains of humans killed by Vesuvius within 7 years of Its eruption eruption. That's incredibly accurate on a geological timescale. But, like I said, radiocarbon dating isn't used for any mineralized fossils, because potassium, argon, thorium and uranium actually have a half-life long enough to actually support the test. You'll never use radiocarbon to test non-human hominid remains, for example, or non-avian dinosaurs.

who care's, im asking anyway.. my whole life i have been asked by anglo's when did i get here, what food do i eat, what languages do i speak.. i am asking all of them back the same question and what religion and what political affiliation they are. i need to be able to categorize and make sense of the world too and shelve anglo's in the proper place so all is right with the world.

anonymous9887

bible reader
What do you mean? I mean the physiochemical process of radioactive decay is well known. And multiple samples and multiple types of mother isotopes are used. And it's accurate enough that we dated the remains of humans killed by Vesuvius within 7 years of Its eruption eruption. That's incredibly accurate on a geological timescale. But, like I said, radiocarbon dating isn't used for any mineralized fossils, because potassium, argon, thorium and uranium actually have a half-life long enough to actually support the test. You'll never use radiocarbon to test non-human hominid remains, for example, or non-avian dinosaurs.
Have these test been accurate 100% of the time? And can a condition like being exposed to water or the climate have some effect on the object?

Milton Platt

1. First off I am open. Do I have conviction yes, but I want to hear evidence.

4.we went there at creation to say what was logical and what wasnt.

That Is the beauty of logic. It is the same whether you "were there" or not.

So then why do you pretend that you do know how the universe was created????
The people who wrote whatever book you care to refer to were not there either.
It is ridiculous to state that the only way we can know something is to be there when it happens. It takes Pluto longer to make one revolution around the sun than the time we have known of it's existence. And yet we know the precise time it takes to make the revolution. Would you therefore deny that it does so because we have not "been there" when it happens?

Everything we know about the universe indicates a vastly older universe and a vastly older human race.

Don't make a post saying you are interested in evidence and then refuse to educate yourself. To put it mildly as I can that is incredibly dishonest.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Have these test been accurate 100% of the time? And can a condition like being exposed to water or the climate have some effect on the object?
Very little in geological testing is 100% accurate and/or can't have issues of contamination but it is accurate enough to satisfy all except the critics of whom nothing would satisfy.
Multiple samples and repeated testing produce accurate results. Again, to the extent that we can date within years of specific geological events.

dianaiad

As I have been on here for sometime, I have noticed that many a percentage of people done like to be questioned.
First off
1. I like to know what people are basing their ideas on. How do you feel?
2. If they are expressing their opinion to others I call that witnessing, and I believe you put yourself in a position to be questioned. Thoughts?
3. I Also Like To Know if Test HAVE Been run to Validate WHAT An individual Is teaching. Thoughts?
4. How do you handle interchange of faiths?

OK, I honestly do not understand everything you are asking here, so please excuse me if I miss something.

Like another poster in here, I, too, am a Mormon. Somewhat unlike that other poster, I'm all for missionary work, having been one and all. Of course, I may well have him misunderstood, as well, so I hope you both bear with me. I know that he and I agree on the fundamentals, not only of our faith, but in our approach to other belief systems. I, personally, love 'em.

The PROBLEM here is the way the title of this thread is phrased: "Is it OK to question other people's beliefs?" The answer to that one is...it depends on what you mean by 'question.'

AS a Mormon, I have received pretty much every sort of attack possible, 'questioning' my beliefs, where 'question' means 'attack with all barrels firing." In almost all of those times, the person doing the 'questioning' structures that question like this: 'how come you believe this wacky thing, or do that ridiculous stuff?" That's annoying enough, but, unfortunately, most of the time that 'wacky thing' or 'annoying stuff' doesn't apply to my belief system. At all. They are generally 'questioning' a straw Mormonism that bears little, or no, resemblance to the one I've been living for over six decades.

So if that's the sort of 'question' you had in mind, my answer is...no. absolutely not. It's not only impolite, it's stupid, unproductive and an utter waste of time...yours and the person at whom the 'question' is aimed.

Now, if by 'questioning,' you mean 'What do you believe?" "Why do you believe that" (after, of course, you confirm that the belief being asked about is one actually held)? or "hmmn. That's interesting. I don't believe that. I believe this, instead, because...." and then some real conversation can happen, resulting in new information, understanding and perhaps even new thoughts arising in both heads.

Now me, I love having people from other faiths explain theirs to me, and I enjoy explaining mine to them. However, as soon as the conversation starts getting insulting, they get kicked out. I get too much of that sort of....stuff...over on CARM to deal with it anywhere else.

So if by 'question,' you mean 'mock' or 'criticism' or 'insult,' then no. It is NOT 'OK to question other people's beliefs.' If you mean an honest curious and polite question to find out what those beliefs actually ARE, then...absolutely yes.

Why? Because I can absolutely guarantee you that the fastest way to make sure that someone utterly ignores you and classifies you as a complete boor and an idiot is to sit there and tell him what he 'really' believes and then make fun of that. The odds are that what you think he believes bears no relationship to what he thinks he believes.

but hey. That's just my opinion.

anonymous9887

bible reader
OK, I honestly do not understand everything you are asking here, so please excuse me if I miss something.

Like another poster in here, I, too, am a Mormon. Somewhat unlike that other poster, I'm all for missionary work, having been one and all. Of course, I may well have him misunderstood, as well, so I hope you both bear with me. I know that he and I agree on the fundamentals, not only of our faith, but in our approach to other belief systems. I, personally, love 'em.

The PROBLEM here is the way the title of this thread is phrased: "Is it OK to question other people's beliefs?" The answer to that one is...it depends on what you mean by 'question.'

AS a Mormon, I have received pretty much every sort of attack possible, 'questioning' my beliefs, where 'question' means 'attack with all barrels firing." In almost all of those times, the person doing the 'questioning' structures that question like this: 'how come you believe this wacky thing, or do that ridiculous stuff?" That's annoying enough, but, unfortunately, most of the time that 'wacky thing' or 'annoying stuff' doesn't apply to my belief system. At all. They are generally 'questioning' a straw Mormonism that bears little, or no, resemblance to the one I've been living for over six decades.

So if that's the sort of 'question' you had in mind, my answer is...no. absolutely not. It's not only impolite, it's stupid, unproductive and an utter waste of time...yours and the person at whom the 'question' is aimed.

Now, if by 'questioning,' you mean 'What do you believe?" "Why do you believe that" (after, of course, you confirm that the belief being asked about is one actually held)? or "hmmn. That's interesting. I don't believe that. I believe this, instead, because...." and then some real conversation can happen, resulting in new information, understanding and perhaps even new thoughts arising in both heads.

Now me, I love having people from other faiths explain theirs to me, and I enjoy explaining mine to them. However, as soon as the conversation starts getting insulting, they get kicked out. I get too much of that sort of....stuff...over on CARM to deal with it anywhere else.

So if by 'question,' you mean 'mock' or 'criticism' or 'insult,' then no. It is NOT 'OK to question other people's beliefs.' If you mean an honest curious and polite question to find out what those beliefs actually ARE, then...absolutely yes.

Why? Because I can absolutely guarantee you that the fastest way to make sure that someone utterly ignores you and classifies you as a complete boor and an idiot is to sit there and tell him what he 'really' believes and then make fun of that. The odds are that what you think he believes bears no relationship to what he thinks he believes.

but hey. That's just my opinion.
Good opinion.
I have a question.
Is it true that only morman apostates will go to hell or others as well?

sunray

As far as I'm concerned, it's spiritually healthy to study and question all beliefs, then one can select or create one's own belief. It's all well and good being a sheep and simply following what you believe is right, it's better to understand what you believe is right. 'The spiritual person judges all things but cannot be judged' or so it says in the Bible. We are all somewhat spiritual are we not, even the atheist. It's probably best to study and question all things, without forgetting that God's plan is behind and in all things. Thus the true Alchimiste becomes pure.

sunray

serp777

Yes its acceptable. you have free speech and people stupid ideas should be addressed immediately.

As I have been on here for sometime, I have noticed that many a percentage of people done like to be questioned.
First off
1. I like to know what people are basing their ideas on. How do you feel?
2. If they are expressing their opinion to others I call that witnessing, and I believe you put yourself in a position to be questioned. Thoughts?
3. I Also Like To Know if Test HAVE Been run to Validate WHAT An individual Is teaching. Thoughts?
4. How do you handle interchange of faiths?

When someone tells me I will burn in hell for not believing in their God, then absolutely, it's OK to question their beliefs.

dianaiad

Good opinion.
I have a question.
Oh, dear.
(grin)

Define 'hell."

If you mean 'the place where liars and murderers go,' then a lot of people will go there, not just Mormons...though that version of 'hell' is still supposed to be better than here.

If you mean 'outer darkness,' where we believe that there is a complete separation from God or His influence, the 'second death,' ....that's trickier. That one is reserved for those who commit the unpardonable sin, which is described as denying the Holy Ghost. From what I understand, that consists of, in full knowledge of what one is doing, telling the Holy Ghost that one simply doesn't want anything to do with Him, or God, or Jesus, or anything.

dianaiad

Yes its acceptable. you have free speech and people stupid ideas should be addressed immediately.
OK...

Does that mean that you respond if someone tells you that you are going to hell, or that you hunt up people with stupid ideas and tell THEM that they are going to hell first? (or just that their ideas are stupid, anyway)

I think that there is a rather big difference here. I mean, if someone comes after me and my beliefs, I will respond...generally defending my beliefs, but also, if they aren't arguing logically, or if they are being rude, I may mention that.

Pointedly.

However, I don't go after them first.

I dunno, perhaps that's because I don't need to. I've never had to 'hunt up' a debate opponent, for some reason. ;) Doesn't seem to matter what forum I'm on, or what the discussion is about, if I ever let slip that I'm a Mormon...

whooosh...the topic changes and the games begin. I think that there ought to be a law describing this phenomenon, like Godwin's law. I don't know how to put it down in pithy enough language, though.

freaknasty

I think it all has to do with the intention of the person asking. If the intention is in the right place, meaning honest curiosity, sure.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Like another poster in here, I, too, am a Mormon. Somewhat unlike that other poster, I'm all for missionary work, having been one and all.
Yeah, but try proselytizing here on this forum and you'll be promptly banned. It's against the forum rules, that's all.

Because I can absolutely guarantee you that the fastest way to make sure that someone utterly ignores you and classifies you as a complete boor and an idiot is to sit there and tell him what he 'really' believes and then make fun of that. The odds are that what you think he believes bears no relationship to what he thinks he believes.
Well stated.

By the way, if you were referring to me in your reference to "that other poster," just a heads up: I'm female, but male. And welcome to RF. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Good opinion.
I have a question.
According to Mormonism, nobody goes to "Hell" -- at least not to the version of Hell you're probably thinking of. We believe in what could be described as the largest heaven and the smallest hell of any Christian denomination. Only a tiny fraction of the people who have ever lived or will live will end up in what we call "Outer Darkness." It is a place entirely void of God's glory. But in order to end up there, you have to really be pretty anti-God in the face of absolute proof that He exists. God's a whole lot forgiving and merciful than most people give Him credit for being.

Last edited: