• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it OK to question other people's beliefs?

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Agreed. How to prove Yahweh was there "at the beginning", even though El was considered "God" until Moses and "Yahweh"? Maybe find some archaeological stuff with His name on it from "everlasting", whatever that means.

And Psalm 82 has Yahweh taking control over the Council of El, the REAL God. So, at best, Yahweh was assigned earth, like a jurisdiction, not the Creator of all things.

In genesis 1:1, it's Elohim which means multiple gods.
Talk about skillfully manipulating texts.
That is actually accepted in parts of my religion.
Earth is guarded by a few deities that care of this realm like infinite others.
Maybe Yahweh is just a desperate lower Rudra. :D

anonymous9887

bible reader
So you must understand that many people have an extremely difficult time picturing a wooden boat that is able to hold two of every species on Earth, with enough food to feed them all and a cleaning crew talented enough to rid the poop deck of poop, and somehow to keep the lions from eating the zebras, etc.

I mean it's not an easy story to believe, right? You believe it because you want to believe it, were raised to believe it, or just do believe it for some reason. But you must be able to, even for a minute, put the shoe on the other foot and imagine how someone would have a very hard time picturing a boat with 17.4 million animals on it. Can't you?

If you can understand why someone might have a hard time envisioning a boat with over 17 million animals on it...why then portray such people as "attacking?"
I agree with you. But should we not give the people studying the matter a chance to state their position? And then we can draw a conclusion. If somebody makes a story We should give him the chance to prove it.

Subhankar Zac

If you can successfully prove that the bible is indeed the true word of God, I'll concede everything I've said.
Just try. That will definitely prove that the bible is the truth n not copy pasted.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree with you. But should we not give the people studying the matter a chance to state their position? And then we can draw a conclusion. If somebody makes a story We should give him the chance to prove it.
I think that the stand against the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses (and many others) is that stories can't be proved.

anonymous9887

bible reader
In genesis 1:1, it's Elohim which means multiple gods.
Talk about skillfully manipulating texts.
That is actually accepted in parts of my religion.
Earth is guarded by a few deities that care of this realm like infinite others.
Maybe Yahweh is just a desperate lower Rudra. :D
Well actually the way the word is used can be used in a variety of way.
In exodus 7:1 jehovah says I have made you elohim to pharaoh. Doesn't mean moses was a multiple deities.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes they can. You choose to believe they cant, and that can be disproved.
Facts can be proved. Is a story a fact?

Let's go with it. I have proved that Jesus could not have truthfully said that it is anyone's job to make a disciple. BUT it is proved only to me. I can't prove it to you because you have settled on something else.

By the way, I think I have caught you in a lie.

Demonslayer

If somebody makes a story We should give him the chance to prove it.

We've had 2000 years to prove man could herd 17 million animals onto a wooden boat and accomplish all the tasks necessary to keep them all alive for an extended period of time. The more we understand, the less likely it is that anyone can show this would be possible.

Besides, we don't allow for the possible truth of every story people make up. Most stories with obviously impossibilities are dismissed out of hand. No one is claiming we should give Stephen King a chance to prove an a Plymouth Fury can come to life after being possessed by the angry ghost of an old man. The only preposterous stories we are asked to "give a chance" to are those from the holy books. I see no more reason to believe in the enormous Zoo-Boat than I do Gollum and the One True Ring or the destruction of Alderaan.

anonymous9887

bible reader

Let's go with it. I have proved that Jesus could not have truthfully said that it is anyone's job to make a disciple. BUT it is proved only to me. I can't prove it to you because you have settled on something else.

No here is what I am saying. Your saying that a story cannot be proven a lie. I say it is circumstantial and you can with the information provided.
You will prove either it is true or a lie depending on what is stated in a story.

anonymous9887

bible reader
We've had 2000 years to prove man could herd 17 million animals onto a wooden boat and accomplish all the tasks necessary to keep them all alive for an extended period of time. The more we understand, the less likely it is that anyone can show this would be possible.

Besides, we don't allow for the possible truth of every story people make up. Most stories with obviously impossibilities are dismissed out of hand. No one is claiming we should give Stephen King a chance to prove an a Plymouth Fury can come to life after being possessed by the angry ghost of an old man. The only preposterous stories we are asked to "give a chance" to are those from the holy books. I see no more reason to believe in the enormous Zoo-Boat than I do Gollum and the One True Ring or the destruction of Alderaan.
Stephen King is not making the claims the bible is.
If there is a book that claims to be truth it should be examined.

anonymous9887

bible reader

Show me where it says Jesus did not say to make disciples. Plus the problem with many of you is you jump from one topic to the next. Stick to one and lets answer that.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No here is what I am saying. Your saying that a story cannot be proven a lie. I say it is circumstantial and you can with the information provided.
No I didn't! I say a story can't be proved true. I believe very strongly that a story can be proved a lie.
You will prove either it is true or a lie depending on what is stated in a story.
I do not agree. It is my opinion that the Bible as a collection of words and ideas can be considered true. The thoughts of the people who wrote it or had it written are REAL. It should be considered only as a collection. Not singly imho. They JWs actually teach this as fact, but they do not obey it as a fact. I do.

Subhankar Zac

Well actually the way the word is used can be used in a variety of way.
In exodus 7:1 jehovah says I have made you elohim to pharaoh. Doesn't mean moses was a multiple deities.

That means the writers themselves were confused. Plus the concept of single deity came after genesis.
Genesis was an entirely polytheistic myth that later made it into one God by desperate zealots.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Show me where it says Jesus did not say to make disciples. Plus the problem with many of you is you jump from one topic to the next. Stick to one and lets answer that.
Look at the script which is oldest. It says disciple (a verb). But what we actually have written for us to follow is disciple a noun. Make, the verb, is added to Matthew 28:19.

http://biblehub.com/text/matthew/28-19.htm

It is a fact that someone changed a verb into a noun.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is it a fact that a person will be judged on how he or she has obeyed Christ's commands? Tell me, how many disciples have YOU made? And for whom will you be making them?