• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it OK to question other people's beliefs?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You claim yours to be the truth, but even your position on the faithful slave is very flawed. Your interpretation of matthew 24:45
The faithful and discreet are men who are not faithful and discreet? Even if that was true I can not believe it.

I did not say mine is truth. I said I go with the truth.

anonymous9887

bible reader
Humans have been around longer than that. We've dated human remains in excess of 195,000 years. And no, that wasn't with radiocarbon dating, but radioargon dating.
Thank you. That's the kind of evidence I'm asking for, these other guys could not state the facts. Do you have an article or study that confirms what you are claiming?

anonymous9887

bible reader
The faithful and discreet are men who are not faithful and discreet? Even if that was true I can not believe it.

I did not say mine is truth. I said I go with the truth.
It doesn't matter. If your interpretation is flawed on a very simple passage how can we trust your interpretation. Where the bible is explicit is conduct

Kelly of the Phoenix

2. God is infinite. We have to face the fact that by the end of that chain someone had to be infinite. You speak of the spiritual realm, obviously they have things that we cannot comprehend and an infinite being is not out of the question.
Who said? For the most part, God is not portrayed that way in the bible. You can thank nonsense like the Greeks' "ideal forms" for this "logic". Ancient Canaanite religions didn't have these concepts.

Adam was how old when he was created?
I don't know, but he and Eve are written with the cognitive abilities of a seven year old.

What we have to face is that humans have been around for 6000 years. Also the dating methods have made plenty of mistakes.
Speaking of dating mistakes, do you know why you can't just add up everyone's lives in the bible to get at how old the Earth is?

Dating methods are just speculation, because they were not there.
Neither were the biblical authors. Heck, even God teases Job for thinking he knows anything about Creation...

If you have faith in the dating method prove it bring evidence. You Expect Me To Take Your Word For it. Yeah right.
The 2 minute version of carbon dating

I don't think it's out of the question. It would be up to you to explain why not and for me to explain why it was. I haven't put much thought into it, but I believe it is possible.
It's not even complicated math. How far a group of people can walk in a day and how many days it would take to reach Point B after leaving Point A. According to the Wiki for Oregon Trail, people covered roughly 10-15 miles per day for what is a 2170 mile trip.

Let's say you want to walk from NY, NY to Seattle, WA. That's 2857 miles per mapquest. Assuming you just walked and never did anything else (like eat or sleep), and the weather was nice, and you didn't die of dysentery (how I ususally ended up in the Oregon Trail game, LOL), it would take over 190 days just to get there.

My ancestors (some of them, anyway) had to walk the Trail of Tears, a much shorter distance. Do you know how many people died on that Trail? Do you know how many died on any of the long exploratory routes? No adequate medical care. No hotels. No nothing. You want me to believe that 8 human beings and God knows how many animals survived such long distances without being driven completely to extinction? It's not mathematically possible.

Demonslayer

Haha. Yes.

So you must understand that many people have an extremely difficult time picturing a wooden boat that is able to hold two of every species on Earth, with enough food to feed them all and a cleaning crew talented enough to rid the poop deck of poop, and somehow to keep the lions from eating the zebras, etc.

I mean it's not an easy story to believe, right? You believe it because you want to believe it, were raised to believe it, or just do believe it for some reason. But you must be able to, even for a minute, put the shoe on the other foot and imagine how someone would have a very hard time picturing a boat with 17.4 million animals on it. Can't you?

If you can understand why someone might have a hard time envisioning a boat with over 17 million animals on it...why then portray such people as "attacking?"

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It doesn't matter. If your interpretation is flawed on a very simple passage how can we trust your interpretation.
I don't think so. But I think it is true that if my conduct is flawed regarding anyone or anything which is true and right then I can't trust about myself that anything else is right. Luke 16:10 Does God's word say that we will know truths and they will set us free or does it say we will know the TRUTH and IT will set us free?
Where the bible is explicit is conduct
I agree!

anonymous9887

bible reader
Who said? For the most part, God is not portrayed that way in the bible. You can thank nonsense like the Greeks' "ideal forms" for this "logic". Ancient Canaanite religions didn't have these concepts.

I don't know, but he and Eve are written with the cognitive abilities of a seven year old.

Speaking of dating mistakes, do you know why you can't just add up everyone's lives in the bible to get at how old the Earth is?

Neither were the biblical authors. Heck, even God teases Job for thinking he knows anything about Creation...

The 2 minute version of carbon dating

It's not even complicated math. How far a group of people can walk in a day and how many days it would take to reach Point B after leaving Point A. According to the Wiki for Oregon Trail, people covered roughly 10-15 miles per day for what is a 2170 mile trip.

Let's say you want to walk from NY, NY to Seattle, WA. That's 2857 miles per mapquest. Assuming you just walked and never did anything else (like eat or sleep), and the weather was nice, and you didn't die of dysentery (how I ususally ended up in the Oregon Trail game, LOL), it would take over 190 days just to get there.

My ancestors (some of them, anyway) had to walk the Trail of Tears, a much shorter distance. Do you know how many people died on that Trail? Do you know how many died on any of the long exploratory routes? No adequate medical care. No hotels. No nothing. You want me to believe that 8 human beings and God knows how many animals survived such long distances without being driven completely to extinction? It's not mathematically possible.
Psalm 90:2

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
OK. Since that time it is only 3700 years. Correct? My mind is feeling like cotton candy right now.

The deluge is present in Hindu myths as well, but it's estimated to have occured at least around 12000-10000 BCE when the ice sheets began to melt increasing the sea levels.
The story of Dwarka submerging however looks more like a tsunami than a flood around (3067 minus 36) BCE.
Floods have occured many times in the past due to msny ice ages and fluctuations of ocean levels.
Still this is a very rough estimate. Mythological timeline suggests at least 4 million years ago for the great flood.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The deluge is present in Hindu myths as well, but it's estimated to have occured at least around 12000-10000 BCE when the ice sheets began to melt increasing the sea levels.
The story of Dwarka submerging however looks more like a tsunami than a flood around (3067 minus 36) BCE.
Floods have occured many times in the past due to msny ice ages and fluctuations of ocean levels.
Still this is a very rough estimate. Mythological timeline suggests at least 4 million years ago for the great flood.
Thank you. By that estimation there is plenty real time for humankind's migrations.

Kelly of the Phoenix

In about 2 mins you'll be asked for some sort of evidence or labelled as a christian hater. :p
Agreed. How to prove Yahweh was there "at the beginning", even though El was considered "God" until Moses and "Yahweh"? Maybe find some archaeological stuff with His name on it from "everlasting", whatever that means.

And Psalm 82 has Yahweh taking control over the Council of El, the REAL God. So, at best, Yahweh was assigned earth, like a jurisdiction, not the Creator of all things.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Thank you. By that estimation there is plenty real time for humankind's migrations.

India has been populated since 50,000 BCE. Many cave paintings that date roughly to more than 20-30 thousand years back exists in Bhimbetka caves.
I saw some of them in the state of orissa once.
It is believed that most immigrations began from Africa towards India and the east. From north western India, many travelled towards the Persian regions and later to the Europe.
Even the first to reach the north American continent occured 22,000 years ago by the ice covered Bering strait.
Gobleki tepe is said to have existed since 11000 BCE. Even with the worst carbon dating, only 2000-3000 years could be shed off to keep the whims of people like these.
Still it's still greater than 6000 years.
Dwarka sank around 3102 BCE. That's 5000 years.
Ice age melting n immigration cuts occured long ago.