• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible for believers to believe the Bible has mistakes in it?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Yes, it has mistakes, errors, inconsistencies and anachronisms, as it was written by men, but I don't take it as literal events, but the message I can get from the stories. It's totally possible to believe that.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Yes, it has mistakes, errors, inconsistencies and anachronisms, as it was written by men, but I don't take it as literal events, but the message I can get from the stories. It's totally possible to believe that.
I can do the same with Aesop's Fables, maybe better, without the mess.

Faybull

For one,
I believe this is exactly what the parable of the wheat and tare represents. The tares, the falsehood. The wheat is the truth. The field is the word. While the owner of the field was away, the servants slept and while sleeping the wicked one came and planted tare alongside the wheat...and so on and so forth.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I can do the same with Aesop's Fables, maybe better, without the mess.
No, you can't. Aesop's fables aren't theological-based Tradition. they don't tell the theological story of the community of people who believe in God.

sojourner

For one,
I believe this is exactly what the parable of the wheat and tare represents. The tares, the falsehood. The wheat is the truth. The field is the word. While the owner of the field was away, the servants slept and while sleeping the wicked one came and planted tare alongside the wheat...and so on and so forth.
Yeah, except that's not the point Matthew wants to make. Without exegeting Matthew as a whole, one misses the points he's making with Jesus' sermons and parables.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
I was going to name the thread "Is it possible the Bible has mistakes in it". And I heard a little voice in my head say "Dah?".

Then I had to add "believers" to the title.

If nothing else, it's funny.
haha... I don’t think that there are mistakes in it, no. Though it is interesting how they don’t say the same thing exactly in all Bibles. If we are to class the Bible as Scripture, then how can it be wrong? Would it not be inherent? And if not, how do we trust it?

gnostic

The Lost One
savagewind said:
I think a person need not believe in the Bible to believe in Jesus but I think that to understand Jesus a person must trust the Bible.

Jesus wrote no part of the bible, so how could you possibly know that what is written is true.

You have nothing more than your personal opinion; that's what your "faith" is worth - opinions and blind faith that the bible is perfect.

I have no need to believe in perfection, because perfection is also a matter of view, an illusion, based on circular reasoning.

Perfection don't exist in any religion or in any scripture, because they are all based on superstitions and wishful thinking.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
No, you can't. Aesop's fables aren't theological-based Tradition. they don't tell the theological story of the community of people who believe in God.
So? They're every bit as real, and a whole lot clearer ... and that is the point, the Bible is errors Pelion piled on Ossa, Aesop's fables is not and Aesop's fables does not pretend to be more than it is.

outhouse

Atheistically
haha... I don’t think that there are mistakes in it, no

Well there are factually many, of different kinds of mistakes, some geographic, some rhetoric and fiction and mythology.

Though it is interesting how they don’t say the same thing exactly in all Bibles

Because you have many people who were far removed from any actual event writing about what they found important at a much later date.

If we are to class the Bible as Scripture, then how can it be wrong?

Your mistake for making that classification.

, how do we trust it?

By historical study so you can place different aspects into proper context.

If you don't know how each book was collected and compiled and edited, your reading blind.

sojourner

So? They're every bit as real, and a whole lot clearer ... and that is the point, the Bible is errors Pelion piled on Ossa, Aesop's fables is not and Aesop's fables does not pretend to be more than it is.
The only pretending going on is what both religious and atheist wacko fundamentalists try to make the bible out to be. The bible is an honest collection of honest documents. Aesop is only clearer because those little vignettes are shallow. And, unlike the biblical texts (as I said), they're not a theological record. And that's the big difference. Sure, the bible contains factual error. So what? It's a human invention; all human inventions contain error.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
Well there are factually many, of different kinds of mistakes, some geographic, some rhetoric and fiction and mythology.
no, just misunderstood
Because you have many people who were far removed from any actual event writing about what they found important at a much later date.
no
Your mistake for making that classification.
no
By historical study so you can place different aspects into proper context.

If you don't know how each book was collected and compiled and edited, your reading blind.
It is the lack of spiritual understanding that leaves you do blind on such matters :)

outhouse

Atheistically
The only pretending going on is what both religious and atheist wacko fundamentalists try to make the bible out to be. The bible is an honest collection of honest documents. Aesop is only clearer because those little vignettes are shallow. And, unlike the biblical texts (as I said), they're not a theological record. And that's the big difference. Sure, the bible contains factual error. So what? It's a human invention; all human inventions contain error.

Exactly.

Reminds me of a story ;)

Little girl ripping pages out of the bible one after another stating errors and mythology!!!!!!!

father calmly walks up and puts his arm around the girl and states, honey you don't fix the bible, it fixes you.

Its all about context.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Honest? Hardly. At best it is a series of myths rewritten by well meaning apologists ... at worst well, that's a whole 'nother story!

Levite

Higher and Higher
I was going to name the thread "Is it possible the Bible has mistakes in it". And I heard a little voice in my head say "Dah?".

Then I had to add "believers" to the title.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by mistakes, but in general, yes, it is possible to be a religious believer and yet not believe the text is absolute and beyond question. It is even possible to be a rabbi and not believe so....

sojourner

Honest? Hardly. At best it is a series of myths rewritten by well meaning apologists ... at worst well, that's a whole 'nother story!
Myth is myth. That's honest. What's dishonest is trying to pawn it off as pretending to be something it's not. The bible doesn't pretend to be anything other than it is. That's honest.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Myth is myth. That's honest. What's dishonest is trying to pawn it off as pretending to be something it's not. The bible doesn't pretend to be anything other than it is. That's honest.
It doesn't? It claims to be the word of a supernatural being! That's honest? I say that's horse puckey.