• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible for believers to believe the Bible has mistakes in it?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Even priests say that the Bible is full of anti-Christian and anti-democratic things.

Saint Paul said that women had no right of speaking in assemblies. What priest would say that this is a concept inspired by God?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some might say "we can't make the Bible say anything but what it says".
Other people might say "we shouldn't make the Bible say anything but what it says NOW"
I say "we shouldn't make the Bible say anything but what was intended in the writing of it"
Some do say "you must not make the Bible say anthing else than what WE say it says".

The first group is wrong just because there are differences in opinion of what it says proves we can make it say whatever we want it to say.

The next group is the strongest group. I think it is wellness to avoid them.

There is me. The reason why there is me is because we live in a world of information and I live in a free and prosperous country. So far it is.

The last group is scary for sure.

Last edited:

Domenic

Some parts of the Bible have been changed. Many of the scrolls used by early Christians have been left out of the Bible. I believe most of the error in Bible teaching is not the bible, but the religions that teach what they claim is true. Most religions do not teach Bible truth. Two of these false teachings are:
Going to heaven, and gong to a Hell of Fire.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Is believing there are no mistakes in the Bible a prerequisite for believing it?

Unbelievers know it carries maistakes. They might not know which scriptures are misunderstood and which aren't but they know it is not possible that it is perfect.

The Christian believers I have met seem to think it is perfect just the way it is.

Can we talk about that?

One, you might benefit from expanding your horizons beyond "Christian believers". ;)

Two, most ardent adherents that "believe" their religious texts to be irrefutable fact beyond any flaw or error are generally (and accurately) deemed as "fundamentalists".

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One, you might benefit from expanding your horizons beyond "Christian believers". ;)

Two, most ardent adherents that "believe" their religious texts to be irrefutable fact beyond any flaw or error are generally (and accurately) deemed as "fundamentalists".

I believe in following Jesus Christ. It is not such a shame for those not following him to believe what they will. But it is unconscionable to be making claims for Jesus Christ, the way, the truth and the life, that aren't true.

If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea. Mark 9:42

1 Corinthians 8:11 So by your knowledge the man who is weak is being ruined, your brother for whose sake Christ died. 12 When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you are sinning against Christ.

Fundamentalism is like wild beasts looking to devour freedom. They will ALL (like a pack of wolves) say this scripture is about eating food, not about teaching BUT then they have separated it (it is true) from Jesus who said I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world John 6:51

They will not allow themselves to imagine more than what they see.

The reason why is the modern bible translations have put fear in them this way:

8 He said: “Look out that you are not misled, for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time is near.’ Do not go after them.

Nobody has told me yet why Jesus, The Leader, would SAY that!

Imagine I am leader. And I say "it is YOUR duty not to be misled" (when in fact it is MY duty not to mislead.)

It is too ridiculous even for me to imagine. How long have the bibles been saying it?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see only two alternatives for the saying of Jesus Christ "look out that you are not misled".

On the one hand it is teaching Jesus really isn't leading because how is it possible to believe in him to follow and also believe by following him a person can be misled?

On the other hand if he really did say it and you end up lost and away from him you can blame the Bible for putting the fear in you that you might get lost while following him.

I can't accept either one. Is there reason attached to "look out that you are not misled" that I might be able to trust?

Please give the reason why Jesus said "follow me and look out I do not mislead you".

Because reason says you are either following him or not. If you are following him you can't be misled. If you aren't following him why is he making rules for you?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some Bibles have changed look out that you are not misled to look out you are not deceived, or even seduced, which of course is possible even though you really are taking care to follow him. But if you are seduced and you quit following him for the seduction it is your choice, you are not being led. Unless it means being led by yourself but why would Jesus say that?

Where is it written that I am able TO LEAD myself? Jesus didn't lead his self. Was YHVH leading him and speaking by him or not?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The best cure for the real danger that exists to carry you away from The Lord is to get rid of anyone* whose job it is to lead you away from Jesus Christ. I don't even know why Jesus would lead you into a dnagerous zone. But what does the Bible really teach about getting rid of enemies of The Way?

Let both the wheat and the weeds grow.

Turn the other cheek.

God will cause retribution.

I might think of more later.

* (because things can't LEAD which is a verb)

defendurfaith

Faithdefender
2 Timothy 3:16 KJV
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

John 1:1 KJV
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Please give the reason why Jesus said "follow me and look out I do not mislead you".

Is this supposed to be some trick question? Really?

Looked into any con artists, pick pockets, snake oil salespeople, or vacuum door-to-door, hair brush in a suitcase provocateurs over just the last 100 years? (We'll ignore all the annoying religious types at the front door for now).

"Trust me."

Well, why not?

Because reason says you are either following him or not.
No, that is NOT reason. That is acceptance, and belief. NOT REASON.

Doh.

If you are following him you can't be misled. If you aren't following him why is he making rules for you?
So, this really IS the best vacuum cleaner EVER made?

EVER?

If so, then at least WALMART has it cheaper....

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
2 Timothy 3:16 KJV
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

John 1:1 KJV
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Are you able to picture the written word as we know "The Bible" as an army? An army is made up of soldiers. It is a righteous army but every soldier is not righteous. That is what "all" of "all scripture" means. It is a righteous army made up of troops and soldiers.

The Word of John 1:1 is the spirit of the truth and not man's written word of truth.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does an army win the war or do the soldiers win it? People will believe every scripture is righteous, true and a winner. That is not possible. All together scripture makes an army that is fighting something. Please look it up.

every, all manner of
Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole -- all (manner of, means), alway(-s), any (one), X daily, + ever, every (one, way), as many as, + no(-thing), X thoroughly, whatsoever, whole, whosoever.

Strong's Greek: 3956. ??? (pas) -- all, every

Find the words "each one" on that page describing the Greek words of 2 Timothy 3:16. It isn't there.

About "God breathed". Isn't the Earth and Heavens, all of it, God breathed? I believe it!

Hebrews 4:13
Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Psalm 139:7
Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?

Isaiah 66:1
This is what יְהוָ֔ה says: "Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me? Where will my resting place be?

Jeremiah 16:17
My eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from me, nor is their sin concealed from my eyes.

Daniel 2:22
He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him.

2 Peter 1:21
For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Romans 15:4
For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.

Why doesn't Romans 15:4 say so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might be righteous?

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Unbelievers are usually mistaken. There's a reason for that. They are unfamiliar with the style of writing and textual reference. They actually, are the worst on average at reading Scripture, not the best.
I am not unfamiliar with mathematics. The bible says that the circumference of a bell is three times it's diameter. Three is not the right value for Pi, believer or unbeliever.