• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is logic over-rated?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I can prove that my state of "existence" is the same as yours, whatever that is.

If we were to meet, you would be able to use all of your five senses to detect my presence - sight, smell, touch, taste (hmm, maybe not...) and hearing.
Comparing this to the existence of God, you cannot detect his presence directly using any of those senses.
I'll take that as a no.

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
A lot of atheists put their faith in logic, but isn't that a bit... illogical?

How many times have you watched CSI and, using your logic, thought, "Ah-ha! It was that Steevenson guy!" only to find out, "What? It was the victim's transexual, one-legged, homosexual bodyguard!? I didn't see that one comming!"?

And you can watch pretty much any Star Trek episode and the Vulcan's logic gets trumped by the Human concept of, "gut".

So, why do atheists put so much stock in logic?

Do they ? As far as I'm concerned, no human can divorce themselves from Emotions. You can believe in logic, but you can't realise it.

Melissa G

Popeyesays

"How many times have you watched CSI and, using your logic, thought, "Ah-ha! It was that Steevenson guy!" only to find out, "What? It was the victim's transexual, one-legged, homosexual bodyguard!? I didn't see that one comming!"?"

Okay, what constitutes homosexuality in the case of a male to female transexual? Or a Female to Male transexual?

Regards,
Scott

Godfather89

I am Who I am
What do you suppose we do in it's stead? Take it on faith?

God is a flying spaghetti monster.
Logically, you would find some sort of reason to reject this claim. but i'm telling you to take it on faith.

Logically, you would question what reason you have to believe me. Again, i would say take it on faith.

So, whats your choice? do you abandon whatever religious affiliation you have and commit obedience to a ridiculous deity that i can't prove, or do you logically deny its existence?

Everything a person does is on faith in varying degrees... Christians have faith in God and Atheist have faith in Logic (albeit in my opinion a bit more leaning to over-rationalizations). Either way, do you put confidence in the fact that rational thinking will see you through the storm? That is how a devoted Christian (particularly fundamentalist Christians) feel the same way with Christ that Christ will see them through the storm.

So, in conclusion Faith in Logic to an atheist = Faith in God to a theist.

Nether, would I abandon my religion or a religion to a "ridiculous" nor logically deny its existence because, your only listening to dogma and doctrine. You see the Christian God as a God of Justice AND God of Love, what a contradiction... My God is only a God of Love and Wisdom and it is Unchanging, my God is not a personal being but transcendental. To me it would be illogical to abandon the God of Love and Wisdom...

Most people are stuck between the extremes in this instance with God they say: "Either God is Good and Just or God doesn't exist because his actions contradict his nature but if he is God he should not be a contradictor!" I say: God is Good and Gods ability to be just is found in his Goodness and Love, no need to smite for people will themselves be overwhelmed with there own guilt when they confront unconditional love. In this instance I proved no need to reject the notion of God but no need to believe what I been told by the religious leaders...

When you and anyone who swings in the extremes gets themselves out of the thoughts of extremes than come and talk to me... "Its NOT one or the other, Its if its not this and not that, than our idea is wrong and needs to be changed not discarded."

agent_smith

I evolved.
look in the dictionary.
I can prove that I exist by the dictionary's definition very easily. However, you would then turn round to me annoyingly and say "Ah! You may be able to interact with the whole world, with all five senses, get a response from others, reproduce, communicate, .... BUT maybe you're IMAGINING it!!"

And that's a terrible argument for my non-existence. It's philosophical at best.

ravenstrike

Court Jester
I'm sorry, but did this thread start because Spock is occasionally wrong?
Also, faith is the warm marrow of evil itself. Reason and logic disarm senseless violence, by their very nature. Only faith seeks to justify it. I am not denouncing all faith. I have faith the sun will rise tomorrow without us tearing open a human chest cavity. I have faith that my girlfriend won't cheat on me. but groundless faith is simply turning away from reality. Violence is faith's loyal lapdog,never far from it's master.

crystalonyx

"Blessed are those that have not seen, yet believe"

A call for unquestioning faith, exactly what is wanted to maintain a flock of believers.

Captain Civic

version 2.0
"Blessed are those that have not seen, yet believe"

A call for unquestioning faith, exactly what is wanted to maintain a flock of believers.

Taken out of context.

ravenstrike said:
that should be nonexistent, or at least limited

I hardly see how reason and logic are superior to faith in their ability to withhold anger or violent actions. I don't see the idea of a man's rage and violence walking in on his wife in bed with another man necessarily illogical.