• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is prostitution "immoral"?

Banner

The common trait to your analogy was how the participant felt about trying the activity on for size.
If "feeling" is the metric for determining immorality, then my analogy fits perfectly.

Lol you tell me how you determine morality. Seriously. It's all about feelings.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is it a fallacy? How do we determine morals then? How it makes us feel right? Look I'm not all about calling prostitution "wrong". Or whatever, hell I can argue that lawyers are immoral half the time. I'm just saying we have to ask ourselves these questions when determining the standards we want to place in our society. I firmly believe morals are relative and depend on conditioning. But selling your body seems to be universally frowned upon because...it's terribly invasive and demeaning to most people.
I have different premises for morals than you do it would seem.
2 consenting adults engage in some act which harms no one....OK by me, no matter how unseemly & frowned upon by others.

Want absolutely true morals?
I'm the wrong person to ask, being one of those nihilistic moral relativistic types.

Lol you tell me how you determine morality. Seriously. It's all about feelings.
Morality is what I feel to be moral.
Of course, others might have different morals.

Banner

I have different premises for morals than you do it would seem.
2 consenting adults engage in some act which harms no one....OK by me, no matter how unseemly & frowned upon by others.

Want absolutely true morals?
I'm the wrong person to ask, being one of those nihilistic moral relativistic types.

I feel like you didn't read my post. I said morals are relative. I agree with you...on that.

CynthiaCypher

Perhaps we don't "realize" that which is not there.
I say that it's society's dysfunctional reaction to working girls which causes harm.

The social cost has little to do with the legality or illegality of prostitution but it's overall affects upon society. It endangers the social order, it endangers segments of society that should not be endangered.

CynthiaCypher

If I met a gorgeous, generous, kind man tomorrow and he told me he'd pay me a million dollars to have sex with him...I might could accept that indecent proposal without feeling the least bit immoral. But that's not really what this is about is it? That's not what 99.9% of prostitution is. Happy well adjusted people making business transactions lol...

It is definitely not "Pretty Woman".

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
It is definitely not "Pretty Woman".

It could be if prostitution was legal, instead of getting just (how my dad defines them) "raggies" buying you all the time, you'd get anyone willing for sex, and you could decide yes or no. If they keep threatening you you could call the police without the fear of getting arrested for prostitution.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Is it a fallacy?
Yes.

How do we determine morals then?
Different people determine in different ways.
You seem to like the appeal to emotion approach.
No worries there, lots and lots of people do.

How it makes us feel right?
If you determine right from wrong based upon how you feel, then by all means go right ahead.
Just do not expect everyone else to agree with you.

Look I'm not all about calling prostitution "wrong". Or whatever, hell I can argue that lawyers are immoral half the time. I'm just saying we have to ask ourselves these questions when determining the standards we want to place in our society. I firmly believe morals are relative and depend on conditioning. But selling your body seems to be universally frowned upon because...it's terribly invasive and demeaning to most people.
Prostitution is not universally frowned upon.
this is evidenced remarkably well by the fact that all attempts to stop it have been complete and utter fails.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
And how would it challenge it in any positive way? Prostitution is no vehicle for positive social change nor can it ever be.

Our society has some major issues with sex. Despite it coming more out of the closet, there is still a lot of shame related to it. The very idea of regulating something in modern America that has been with civilized society since its inception would challenge the assumption that sex is inherently dirty and needs to be covered up and stored away.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Moral relativism must be fun. I am more of an moral objectivist than anything else. All the Ayn Rand I read as a teen is still with me.
I read her too, & found her perspective illuminating.
But her premises were still just what she chose.
No absolute truth there.

CynthiaCypher

Our society has some major issues with sex. Despite it coming more out of the closet, there is still a lot of shame related to it. The very idea of regulating something in modern America that has been with civilized society since its inception would challenge the assumption that sex is inherently dirty and needs to be covered up and stored away.

Yes. Our society is puritanical and hypocritical when it comes to sex. But how does prostitution challenge that? I don't think it does but in some ways helps perpetuate it.

And wouldn't education be more helpful? Teaching people that their sexuality is nothing to be ashamed of as long as it doesn't harm?

Draka

Wonder Woman
The social cost has little to do with the legality or illegality of prostitution but it's overall affects upon society. It endangers the social order, it endangers segments of society that should not be endangered.

What "social order" is being endangered?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Yes. Our society is puritanical and hypocritical when it comes to sex. But how does prostitution challenge that? I don't think it does but in some ways helps perpetuate it.

And wouldn't education be more helpful? Teaching people that their sexuality is nothing to be ashamed of as long as it doesn't harm?

If a person's sexuality is nothing to be ashamed of, and they aren't harming anyone, then why should a person using their sexuality however they want be looked upon as doing something immoral? Aren't you kind of defeating your own position here?