• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion inferior to logic ?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I dont have much experience with Christianity.
It's small minority in HK mostly expat westerners.

The inpression I get of christianity from RF
is I hope not like what most christians are like-?

Correct. Most Christians are not like this. It is a skewed picture. Now yes, there are problems with religion, but there are also problems with political ideologies and secular morality. Religion is not a special case of either good or bad. It is a diverse human behavior.

Bird123

I don't think so. Is God like a 'Predator'? In that case, I would be certainly be intimidated.
Thinks! How does that help?
If we have to create our heavenly state, then what is the need of a God?
How long have we to wait? A hundred years, a millennium, a million years?
I do not see anything clear in what you say.
How long do you have to wait? Each person chooses how long. A hungry student surely takes less time. Still, how long isn't important. It is something one chooses to learn and grow into for themselves. When one understands all sides, Intelligence will make the best choices. It's like progress. The more knowledge one acquires; the faster one acquires more knowledge.

What is the need of God? Who do you think sets up the parameters and places those people around you to help point the way? On the other hand, There is no need to follow a believe or religion. That has never ever been what it is all about.

My best advice: Be who you must. It's a part of the plan. Listen to the advice of others but choose your own path. Life's lessons are best learned that way.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Bird123

The evidence has no indication of gods. Or any supernatural.

What God exists? I notice you avoid showing us. What's the problem if the "evidence stares us in the face"? It's so obvious but you can't point it out?

Odd since gods are what religions rely on for their legitimacy.

Then how did you come up with your idea of God, on your own, without any influence from religions?

Facts are real answers, not the imaginary.
Can you really find no evidence of Higher Intelligence around you at all? You have chosen to ignore everything in favor or your belief? Perhaps, you should look within and Discover why you do that.

Have I really given you no evidence? Have I really never pointed to where you can Discover it all for yourself? Have I not mentioned a few actions of God?

Clearly, you can only hear what you want to hear in favor of your own beliefs.

Bird123

Believers keep saying this, endlessly, but they rarely cite any evidence, and when they do it's either not real evidence, or is flawed.
Again, what is this evidence staring us in the face which we cannot see?

Asking for evidence and pointing out its lack does not translate to wanting God not to exist. It' just a request for evidence.

What makes you think he's seeking anything?
Are you telling me you do not seek anything? Why are you here?

Look around you. Can you not see evidence of High Intelligence? Can you not see everything has purpose and is well ordered? What is it that you do see?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Obviously, if they have reports that they are teaching people to hate others or
preaching violence, they would be shut down.
That is what the madarsas and Muslim clerics do in the sub-continent. That is the cause of Hindu-Muslim troubles in India.
India is not going to become a Muslim country ever (though Indian democracy may choose a Muslim Prime Minister in its wisdom, some one efficient and honest, Rafi Ahmad Kidwai, a former Agriculture/Post & Telegraph minister of India).

Rafi-Ahmed-Kidwai.jpg

F1fan

Veteran Member
Can you really find no evidence of Higher Intelligence around you at all? You have chosen to ignore everything in favor or your belief? Perhaps, you should look within and Discover why you do that.
Notice you offer none of this "evidence". If it was so obvious you would be listing it. And it would be part of science.

All you do is bluff.
Have I really given you no evidence?
No. Are you really oblivious of what you write?
Have I really never pointed to where you can Discover it all for yourself? Have I not mentioned a few actions of God?
If there are facts about a God it will be readily available to any mind. You write words and not a single one that explains eveidence. It's almost as if you know you have none.
Oh the irony. More accusations, no evidence.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So how do you do morality in effect and not just these word I rely on rational analysis of available facts? I want you to unpack it and explain to me how it is actually done.
Can you give me a specific situation where moral judgement might apply?

I hold certain values involving fairness, function, duty, consistency, consciousness, &c. I apply these to situations which I rationally analyse to determine what factors apply.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Can you give me a specific situation where moral judgement might apply?

I hold certain values involving fairness, function, duty, consistency, consciousness, &c. I apply these to situations which I rationally analyse to determine what factors apply.

Yeah, I hold them as similar, yet differently in some cases. And in effect that amounts to different cases of subjectivity in a limited sense. Not that everything is subjective nor that everything is objective.
In effect if you can do something as how it makes sense to you subjectively and I am can do that differently for some set of limited cases, then that is it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, what about the meta-ideas of science? Or the meta-ideas of reality? Or the meta-ideas of logic?

If you want them to be exposed to the class of meta-ideas then do it for all meta-ideas or you are using a double standard.
These are not doctrines to be accepted on faith. They are testable and falsifiable. In the case of science, criticism and dissent is encouraged.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Have I really given you no evidence? Have I really never pointed to where you can Discover it all for yourself? Have I not mentioned a few actions of God?

You really have not. Please point it out again.
I suspect the evidence you accuse us of ignoring is evidence we're quite familiar with, but have dismissed as flawed.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are you telling me you do not seek anything? Why are you here?

Look around you. Can you not see evidence of High Intelligence? Can you not see everything has purpose and is well ordered? What is it that you do see?

I seek practical, utilitarian things. The laws and constants of the universe have already been worked out pretty well. I don't actively seek what I have no reason to believe exist.

I look around and see evidence of the workings of physics, chemistry, biology, psychology, &c. I see natural, unplanned, unintentional events unfolding. I see function, but not design or purpose, except when related to actual, sentient beings like myself or my cat.

I see complex, functioning, interactive systems, which work despite the poor "design" they exhibit when analyzed. Randomness and chaos underlie the physics that order the universe.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am sure that there are multiple causes.
No, there are no other causes. IS and PFI (a militant Muslim group recently banned by Indian Government) want Muslim rule in India by 2047. Those who engage in terrorist activities will face nothing else but misery while millions of Muslims are living peacefully in India. Remember what happened to the Rohingyas. They too wanted a Muslim rule in Arakan.

PureX

Veteran Member
Raised Catholic. Given this influence how likely would it be that you strayed from Catholicism?
The likelihood is irrelevant. What matters is that it's entirely possible for anyone to reject it, and leave it. People choose to stay or leave it according to their own ideals and experiences. The religion is not forcibly holding or brainwashing anyone. No religion is. And even what few cults there actually are out there are ultimately voluntary. Their members are choosing to forfeit their freedom of thought and action.
My 9 Catholic cousins remain Catholic, as it is a tight tribal social system.
That they like being a part of.
I remember how my cousins hated mass. On Christmas eve many of them would get together and go to midnight mass so they had all Christmas day free to relax. I think two of them have abandonded Catholicism since their parents died and well into their adulthood.
Children are not yet ready to make choices regarding ideals of that level and complexity. Their parents make those choices for them. But as they become adults, they become able to choose for themselves. I'm not sure why you seem to find this objectionable.
As a kid who was NOT directly raised in any religion I could see I had the freedom my cousins did not.
Not really, as your parents had chosen for you just as their parents had chosen for them.
Could any of them decided to stop being Catholic? In my mind, yes. But they did not think they had any actual choice, they were raised to be obligated to Catholicism.
They knew they had a choice when they became adults. We all do. It's part of becoming an adult.
My other cousins were Southern Baptist, and they were raised to believe in creationism. Having witnessed my cousins being raised in religious circumstances I'm happy that I wasn't. I had influence by my grandmother and her presbyterian church, but I still had serious doubts about Christianity by watching my family struggle under religious belief. All this helped me question religion as truly free from indoctrination and family/social pressure.
All the more reason why we need our schools to teach comparative religion, not hide from it and leave it to ill-informed parents and agenda-seeking politicians.

MikeF

Premium Member
This is just flat out untrue.

I was raised Catholic, and went to Catholic schools through grade 9. And never once was I discouraged from investigating any non-Cathollc ideology. Never once did I hear any admonishment against doing so in Sunday service or see it in any church literature. I was taught about evolution in 6th grade biology class. I was taught nothing that would countermand the validity of the scientific process. I participated in class discussions with priests regarding the origins and function of religious mythology, as mythology. When I was a little older I became an avid reader and kept at it for many years. And at no time was I ever discouraged from doing so in favor of some religious dogma.

Catholicism represents a very big portion of a very big global religion. And I had Protestant and Methodist friends that grew up in very much the same way as I did. No one ever told them what ideas they could or could not pursue. And even if someone had wanted to, they had absolutely no way of enforcing it. I am no longer Catholic or affiliated with any other religion. So clearly no one was able to blind me to alternative ideologies.

Your above statement is nothing but a commonly held bias among people that for whatever reason have decided to make religion into some sort of giant boogeyman or scapegoat for mankind's irrational superstitions and willful ignorance. When in truth it is far more then that, and very often active in dispelling that.

I think that it is great you were afforded such a well-rounded education. I certainly do not disagree that a religiously affiliated school can offer a well-rounded education. This issue is whether *all* do so.

My comment, however, was specifically in response to the claim that “religion does not stop anyone from learning about other ideas”. My comment regarded your reference to religion in general (not religious schools specifically) not stopping anyone from learning about other ideas. My response was informed by my anecdotal experiences. Although I too was born into the Catholic religion and all my relatives are Catholic or lapsed Catholic, my wife’s family has Evangelical non-denominational Church goers, Southern Baptist, and Evangelical Presbyterians. In addition, my children have had neighborhood friends whose families are Evangelical or born again Christians and attend the local Christian Academy School. Also, my children have attended a Christian summer camp that was on the same lake as their grandparents lake house. It is these experiences that inform me that there are churches and religious environments that discourage exploring other beliefs outside those of the church and that work hard to provide environments that conform to the prescribed belief set and reduce exposure to conflicting belief sets.

What? What I am saying is that religion is at least as significant a part of the human experience as science, art, and economics are. And it's the only one that tends to focus specifically on ethics based morality. So we should at least be teaching our kids a general overview of religion, and give them some means of comparing and evaluating them.

I could not agree more. I am all for comparative religion being taught in an objectively neutral manner as well as Ethics to include non-religious based ethical systems.

Yes, but the existence of this "self-perpetuating and isolating belief systems" ability to actually isolate anyone is just a bigot's myth. Every person's participation in any religion is voluntary. They all have access to other ideologies, and they all choose whether or not to investigate them. Human beings are free agents. Especially when it comes to their own mind.

So, in your opinion, every Muslim child has freely chosen to be Muslim after a careful consideration of all the options? Is this also true for the Christian in their many variant forms, the Jewish child, the Buddhist child?

I think millions of kids would love to know that religion is only voluntary and they shouldn’t be dragged to church, mosque, or temple if they don’t want to go. :)

You seem to hold to this strange idea that religions have the power to control people's minds. And that simply is not true. All any ideology can ever do is offer us intellectual possibilities. WE choose to either adopt them or not to.

Let’s take religion out of it. Different cultures have different customs and taboos. In the Arab world it is offensive to show another the soles of your feet or shoes. If offense is truly felt by an Arab when presented with the sole of another's foot, is the understanding that the sole of the foot is inherently offensive something that every Arab independently concludes? Did they make a conscious choice in the matter?

What about belching? Some cultures it's a compliment, and in others it is rude. Is everyone randomly and independently choosing to see belching as either rude or a compliment?

I wonder if you underestimate the power of socialization and indoctrination.

When they are ready and able to understand and assess the options, we can, and should. I left Catholicism when I was about 16 years old. But I was not able to develop my own cohesive position on religion until I was about 20. And on theism much later. Dumping comparative religions, or comparative politics, or comparative philosophy on 10 year olds is just stupid. It's only going to confuse them. But as the intellect matures, it will become ready for such complexity and assessment. And they will then begin to seek it out, if they are so inclined. W should make it available to them, and give them a means of assessing them. After that, it will be up to them.

What people believe affects the way they act and interact with others. I think we both agree on this. I think we also both agree that an ethical system works best when there is buy-in by all involved parties. There are a wide variety of belief sets out in the world and I think we both agree that belief sets can and should be evaluated both on how they affect individuals as well as how belief sets can affect society as a whole.

If we leave religion again for a moment and imagine a private school that was organized around a belief in a neo-nazi ideology, one in which neo-nazi ideology was referenced or emphasized in glowing, praising terms throughout the curriculum, do you think that such an educational environment can have a long lasting or permanent effect on some percentage of graduates throughout their adulthood, despite being exposed to other beliefs after schooling? I am *NOT* equating religion to neo-nazism, by the way. It is simply a stark example of a belief set I assume you would not agree with but may agree others might be conditioned to believe.

If it is your position that such a schooling environment would have no effect on the students in terms of their openness to entertaining conflicting belief sets as adults, I see that position as wholly unrealistic. This would be compounded if such schools were dominant in the culture.

Sadly, you cannot seem to differentiate between most common expressions of religion and the "indoctrinating (people) in dependency forming belief systems". Your bigotry against religion as 'the big cultural boogeyman' is blinding you to the reality of it. And if you are not willing to try and see past this nonsense there is nowhere for this discussion to go.

I’m sorry you find me to be a bigot.

If we can critically evaluate the value, to individuals and society, of some belief sets, we should be able to think critically and evaluate all belief sets. That is what I am advocating. No belief set that impacts the entire society should receive special exemption status. If what and the way we teach our children has lasting effects for them and society as a whole, then it behooves us to continually assess what and how we are teaching them.

If your concern is the moral and ethical health of society, then let’s discuss that on an even playing field without giving preference to any one belief set or category of belief set. We should be able to think critically about all of it.

A well rounded education would surely include an in depth overview of the world's religions and an effective means of comparing them.

I agree completely, as I have above. This would include exploring how religious thought has evolved over time as well, not simply comparing current practices.