• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Science The Top Reason People Abandon Spiritual Pursuits?

Pogo

Science has never been able to explain why the process of cell renewal slows down over time leading to old age and death.

Scientists have also not been able to discover whether there really are invisible spirits that interact with the visible physical environment. They also do not know how life originated, or where the DNA information came from in the first place.

Scientists do not know why the visible physical Universe came into being, or why it happened when it did and not before. They also cannot know what was there before that time.

Scientists do not know whether living beings that have died can be recovered or not, because although they may have some notion of how we are physically organized, they cannot rationalize how our consciousness works.

Scientists do not know how human behavior can be controlled. Although everyone is against violence, it would be great if there were some way to eradicate it completely from human societies.

Scientists do not know many things. And it seems that certain things will never be known, because as time passes, some truths become more and more distant from our reach, either in time from the past or in the ever-expanding outer space.
So for no good reason you fill all of these gaps in our knowledge with an unevidenced being because it makes you feel good in spite of the evidence over human history that the prior gaps have been filled with non-supernatural explanations. Feel free to do so, but don't pretend you do it for anything more than its emotional value to you. :)

Jimmy

Veteran Member
So for no good reason you fill all of these gaps in our knowledge with an unevidenced being because it makes you feel good in spite of the evidence over human history that the prior gaps have been filled with non-supernatural explanations. Feel free to do so, but don't pretend you do it for anything more than its emotional value to you. :)
I follow Christ more than its emotional value to me. He died, rose, is in heaven and will return. It exquisitely explains life and gives believers hope and fills their hearts with joy love and awe.

christos

Some sort of scholar dude who likes learning
What do you think is the top reason people leave religion and spiritual paths? I think it’s science. However, I don’t think science is intentionally trying to lead people away from these things. I think it’s just happening. The only other reason I can think of would be killing in the name of religion. Are there more you can think of?
I left religion when I realised I was fed a lie…

I’m a follower of Christ and seek ACTUAL TRUTH, rather than fall in line with an authority like the church and pray to God because I have idolised fear and guilt.

Part of that TRUTH is science, which helps us discover FACTS about the material world… such as evolution and the Universe we exist within being 13.8 Billion years old…

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
What do you think is the top reason people leave religion and spiritual paths? I think it’s science. However, I don’t think science is intentionally trying to lead people away from these things. I think it’s just happening. The only other reason I can think of would be killing in the name of religion. Are there more you can think of?
It's not science. I would say politics is a more likely reason.

crossfire

Premium Member
Political science
Religions seeking political political power through populism. Those who disagree with the political agenda are leaving the populist movement. Remember when Satan tempted Jesus with "all the kingdoms of the world?" Why is it that Jesus refused and told Satan to go away?

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
Political science
Jesus was executed for political reasons. When Jesus told Pilate, "My kingdom is not of this world," Pilate could find no reason to execute him, and asked that he be pardoned. However, the crowd chose the criminal to be pardoned, out of political reasons.

I'll put the scripture from John 18 behind spoiler tags.

Jesus before Pilate​

28 Then they took Jesus from Caiaphas to the governor’s headquarters. It was early morning. They did not enter the headquarters themselves; otherwise they would be defiled and unable to eat the Passover.

29 Then Pilate came out to them and said, “What charge do you bring against this man?”

30 They answered him, “If this man weren’t a criminal, we wouldn’t have handed Him over to you.”

31 So Pilate told them, “Take Him yourselves and judge Him according to your law.”

“It’s not legal for us to put anyone to death,” the Jews declared. 32 They said this so that Jesus’ words might be fulfilled signifying what kind of death He was going to die.

33 Then Pilate went back into the headquarters, summoned Jesus, and said to Him, “Are You the King of the Jews?”

34 Jesus answered, “Are you asking this on your own, or have others told you about Me?”

35 “I’m not a Jew, am I?” Pilate replied. “Your own nation and the chief priests handed You over to me. What have You done?”

36 “My kingdom is not of this world,” said Jesus. “If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I wouldn’t be handed over to the Jews. As it is, My kingdom does not have its origin here.”

37 “You are a king then?” Pilate asked.

“You say that I’m a king,” Jesus replied. “I was born for this, and I have come into the world for this: to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to My voice.”

38 “What is truth?” said Pilate.

Jesus or Barabbas​

After he had said this, he went out to the Jews again and told them, “I find no grounds for charging Him. 39 You have a custom that I release one prisoner to you at the Passover. So, do you want me to release to you the King of the Jews?”

crossfire

Premium Member
Jesus was executed for political reasons. When Jesus told Pilate, "My kingdom is not of this world," Pilate could find no reason to execute him, and asked that he be pardoned. However, the crowd chose the criminal to be pardoned, out of political reasons.

I'll put the scripture from John 18 behind spoiler tags.

Jesus before Pilate​

28 Then they took Jesus from Caiaphas to the governor’s headquarters. It was early morning. They did not enter the headquarters themselves; otherwise they would be defiled and unable to eat the Passover.

29 Then Pilate came out to them and said, “What charge do you bring against this man?”

30 They answered him, “If this man weren’t a criminal, we wouldn’t have handed Him over to you.”

31 So Pilate told them, “Take Him yourselves and judge Him according to your law.”

“It’s not legal for us to put anyone to death,” the Jews declared. 32 They said this so that Jesus’ words might be fulfilled signifying what kind of death He was going to die.

33 Then Pilate went back into the headquarters, summoned Jesus, and said to Him, “Are You the King of the Jews?”

34 Jesus answered, “Are you asking this on your own, or have others told you about Me?”

35 “I’m not a Jew, am I?” Pilate replied. “Your own nation and the chief priests handed You over to me. What have You done?”

36 “My kingdom is not of this world,” said Jesus. “If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I wouldn’t be handed over to the Jews. As it is, My kingdom does not have its origin here.”

37 “You are a king then?” Pilate asked.

“You say that I’m a king,” Jesus replied. “I was born for this, and I have come into the world for this: to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to My voice.”

38 “What is truth?” said Pilate.

Jesus or Barabbas​

After he had said this, he went out to the Jews again and told them, “I find no grounds for charging Him. 39 You have a custom that I release one prisoner to you at the Passover. So, do you want me to release to you the King of the Jews?”
Jesus being killed due to political strife kinda rings true today, no?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

If by "science" you mean critical thinking, then I'd say yes, critical thinking asks for good, reliable, predictable evidence and religions tend to be weak in that regard.

Also, as an atheist, I reject the implication that religion and spirituality are co-joined. I think I'm a very spiritual person and I totally reject almost all religions.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
If by "science" you mean critical thinking, then I'd say yes, critical thinking asks for good, reliable, predictable evidence and religions tend to be weak in that regard.

Also, as an atheist, I reject the implication that religion and spirituality are co-joined. I think I'm a very spiritual person and I totally reject almost all religions.
What are the specific things that make an atheist spiritual?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
What are the specific things that make an atheist spiritual?
I think "spiritual" is a hard idea to get widespread agreement on. That said, for me it includes:

- being in awe of nature
- a deep appreciation of our world and our universe
- a deep appreciation of my life and life in general...

(and more like that)

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I think "spiritual" is a hard idea to get widespread agreement on. That said, for me it includes:

- being in awe of nature

(and more like that)
I was just going to say gratitude

Jimmy

Veteran Member

- being in awe of nature

(and more like that)
Religion has all that and more so I do think they are related.

crossfire

Premium Member
Politics is probably the reason there’s wars today but killing one man over it today would be unlikely. Not really sure what you’re asking.
What did Jesus teach? "Love your neighbor as yourself." The reply to this was "Who is my neighbor?" (Then Jesus went into the parable of the good Samaritan.) The principle of love your neighbor as yourself is being killed by political rhetoric. Jesus is once again being executed for political reasons. The symbolism of the crucifix has once again been eclipsed by political aspirations. The politicos are so blinded that they cannot see it.

crossfire

Premium Member
What did Jesus teach? "Love your neighbor as yourself." The reply to this was "Who is my neighbor?" (Then Jesus went into the parable of the good Samaritan.) The principle of love your neighbor as yourself is being killed by political rhetoric. Jesus is once again being executed for political reasons. The symbolism of the crucifix has once again been eclipsed by political aspirations. The politicos are so blinded that they cannot see it.
There is no denying the deep symbolism surrounding the story of Jesus. When Jesus told Pilate, "I was born to do this, to testify to the truth," I believe him.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
The only other reason I can think of would be killing in the name of religion.
Yes, that’s a powerful reason, too.

Keep in mind who is controlling this world… 1 John 5:19.

John 12:31; 14:30.

And there’s always our imperfect human nature leading to selfishness, doing things that we want (or the easiest things), to the exclusion of others’ best interests.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Religion isn't as important as it once was because we can explain things that only religion/god/supernatural once could…
Explain what things? Like OOL?
Science has no idea how life originated through natural, mindless mechanisms/forces!
And many aspects attributed to evolution, remain highly debatable and lack consensus among scientists. (Have you read Gerd Müller’s “Explanatory Deficits of the MS”?)
…and it's clear to me that society can function quite comfortably without religion
Yes, most religions have been awful! Christendom, to me, has garnered the worst reputation, because right at Christianity’s beginning, it’s been under attack from this world’s Ruler, the most. — 1John 5:19; Revelation 12:9.
…and better as far as I'm concerned, just look at Western society.
The breakdown of the family unit, has contributed to Society’s ills.
Even percentage-wise there are more people suffering from emotional and mental anguish, than ever before!

Spirituality is another question…
Yes, throw religion away. It’s going to be destroyed (Revelation chaps.17 & 18; this description of the Harlot fits false religion).

But not the Bible. It gives excellent advice for husbands & wives, and their children, in order to build strong relationships.

Ephesians 5:28,29,33;
1 Corinthians 13:4-8