• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the hijab unnecessary?

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
In Afghanistan Pakistan and Iran in the recent past, women could dress as they wished including the the western style, they were happy and by choice wore these clothes.

All these countries were then drowned in the curse of Islamic fundementalism. A disaster that caused women to put on the Hijab and other baggage., NOT through choice, but through fear of standing out and being stoned, beaten, murdered, raped. If asked "do you do this willingly for Allah" of course they say yes, but anyone can tell they are lying just to stay alive.

Cheers

blackout

Violet.
I already do, do you have any problem with this?

I don't know, why would you? :sarcastic Did anyone suggest that you have to?

Nope. no problem whatsoever. really don't care.

That was kind of the point of my little post.
Also, I was speaking in generalities.
Not to you..or anyone... directly or specifically.

Some of us love our hair and like to show it,
some of us..... prefer to hide it. :shrug:
(for whatever reason/s)

That was the amazing point of my contribution.
Don't fall all over yourselves in amazement.

kai

ragamuffin
I know you are not serious, but anyway look at Maro's Avatar...This is Hijab.

I was serious Sajdah , because i would like to know what a headscarf has to do with modesty , personally i think they are attractive on a woman.

kai

ragamuffin
Yes, we agree about the style point, for example I and my sister wear different styles of Hijab, but BOTH styles should be as it was described in Qur'an and explained in Sunnah. Which is that women should cover themselves up except for the face and the hands..Like that one:

Satellite

Those requirements don't exist in the picture which was presented by Kai... Accordingly it wasn't the right Hijab. :)

Ok so it wasnt the right hijab , because it made the woman look attractive yes?

Bismillah

Submit
"Right" is a relative term. Hijab is shown to have become a product of cultural background. Usually women that wear the scarf that Kai pointed out not cover every part of their body except the feet, hands, and face. Instead they were loosely draped "shawls". This dress is "right" for them and demonstrates modesty. They avoid wearing tight fitting clothes revealing their bodies and still manage to feel beautiful.

I do not think you can judge what is the "right hijab".

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
This is a little offensive to me. I'm a western woman and I do not feel that my body is exploited, my soul degraded, or that I'm deprived of my honor. I feel happy and lucky that I was born where I was, when I was and that I have the freedom that I do. I can wear what I want, go to work, be independent, go to school and study whatever I want, and choose whatever career I want, I don't have to have children if I don't want to, I don't have stay at home and cook and clean all day, I have the freedom to be my own person and choose my future. I guess western society has me fooled.:confused:
If you are not like those women i talked about,then you don't have to fell it's offensive to you,i'm talking about the majority.
But if you are pointing to the claim the Muslim women can't dpthese things that you can or these rights that you have,then that is offensive.

Sahar

Ok so it wasnt the right hijab , because it made the woman look attractive yes?
What a silly and supid question!! Really!!

We won't bring pictures of women and ask this is hijab or not!! The requirements are clear and I think you can use your mind to differentiate.

I'd like to note that hijab doesn't mean ugliness. And hijab is not only a scarf on the head.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
If you are not like those women i talked about,then you don't have to fell it's offensive to you,i'm talking about the majority.
But if you are pointing to the claim the Muslim women can't dpthese things that you can or these rights that you have,then that is offensive.

No you are not talking about the majority, you are simply making up lies.

Panda

42?
Premium Member

We won't bring pictures of women and ask this is hijab or not!! The requirements are clear and I think you can use your mind to differentiate.

I'd like to note that hijab doesn't mean ugliness. And hijab is not only a scarf on the head.

What exactly are the prerequisites that make something a hijab? Does it just have to cover everything apart from the face and hands?

kai

ragamuffin

really! whats stupid about it? , you all talk about modesty i put hijab in google up pops a picture of a hijab, i ask is this hijab? good job i did because know i find out its not the right hijab? see i learn by asking. its OK for you , you know all about it.;) i want a second opinion.:)

Last edited:

I don't think that you can say that you are talking about the majority. I would think you are probably talking about the minority that you see in the media. I would say that the majority of women in the U.S. are not like what you see in the media.

And for your info I was not suggesting that Muslim women can't do those things. I was actually thinking about my great great grandmother, great grandmother, and grandmother, who did not have it as fortunate as I have. What was expected of women in the U.S. during their times was very different than the freedoms we have now. Thats why I said that I feel lucky to be born where I was, when I was.

Last edited:

Aquitaine

Oh hai!

Haven't had the time to fully read through all the posts in this thread, but I was just wondering if there were any Muslims who could confirm for me whether the wearing of a Hijab, or even Niqab is actually religiously prescribed?

I thought it was just a Cultural thing, that spawned from Islam over time?

:confused:

Sahar

What exactly are the prerequisites that make something a hijab? Does it just have to cover everything apart from the face and hands?
Zhakir mentioned them but here are the requisites of hijab or proper Islamic attire for women:

1. It should cover her whole body except face and hands.

2. It should be loose-fitting.

3. It should not be transparent or revealing.

4. It should not be an attire specifically worn by men only.

5. No Make-up.

I added #5. :D

Sahar

really! whats stupid about it? , you all talk about modesty i put hijab in google up pops a picture of a hijab, i ask is this hijab? good job i did because know i find out its not the right hijab? see i learn by asking. its OK for you , you know all about it.;) i want a second opinion.:)
He he he, sorry kai I was a little rude but your question deserved this. (Did I really say sorry :facepalm:) LOL!
:sorry1:

Sahar

Oh hai!

Haven't had the time to fully read through all the posts in this thread, but I was just wondering if there were any Muslims who could confirm for me whether the wearing of a Hijab, or even Niqab is actually religiously prescribed?

It's Islamic fardh (obligation).

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Oh hai!

Honestly, it depends upon the Muslim you talk to.
I have met some that say it is a requirement and other that say it is totally voluntary.

Some verses from the koran:
And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or those whom their right hands possess, or the male servants not having need (of women), or the children who have not attained knowledge of what is hidden of women; and let them not strike their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments may be known; and turn to Allah all of you, O believers! so that you may be successful. . (Qur'an 24:31)
Those who harass believing men and believing women undeservedly, bear (on themselves) a calumny and a grievous sin. O Prophet! Enjoin your wives, your daughters, and the wives of true believers that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad) That is most convenient, that they may be distinguished and not be harassed.
And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Qur'an 33:58–59)
O Wives of the Prophet, ye are not like any of the (other) women. If ye do fear (Allah), be not too complaisant of speech, lest one in whose heart is a disease should be moved with desire: but speak ye a speak that is just. Abide still in your homes and make not a dazzling display like that of the former times of ignorance: and establish regular prayer, and give regular charity; and obey Allah and His Messenger. And Allah only wishes to remove all abomination from you, ye Members of the Family, and to make you pure and spotless.
Communicate what is taught to you of the verses of God and the wisdom revealed by Him [to your visitors]. The Almighty is very discerning and all-knowing. (Qur'an 33:32–33)
O Ye who believe! Enter not the dwellings of the Prophet for a meal without waiting for the proper time, unless permission be granted you. But if ye are invited, enter, and, when your meal is ended, then disperse. Linger not for conversation. Lo! That would cause annoyance to the Prophet, and he would be shy of (asking) you (to go); but Allah is not shy of the truth. And when ye ask of them (the wives of the Prophet) anything, ask it of them from behind a curtain. That is purer for your hearts and for their hearts. And it is not for you to cause annoyance to the messenger of Allah, nor that ye should ever marry his wives after him. Lo! That in Allah's sight would be an enormity. (Qur'an 33:53)

.lava

Veteran Member
I have met some that say it is a requirement and other that say it is totally voluntary.

wearing modesty is definetely command of God. so it is a requirement that should be done volunteerly.

Sahar

There is no disagreement between the scholars of Islam about the hijab that covers the entie body except face and hands being fardh (obligatory) but the disagreement arises from whether the niqab is fardh or not, and most of them say it's not and it's up to the woman.

Aquitaine

1. It should cover her whole body except face and hands.

2. It should be loose-fitting.

3. It should not be transparent or revealing.

4. It should not be an attire specifically worn by men only.

5. No Make-up.

I added #5. :D

But what about the Niqab?

Also, why does it have to be black? Considering the majority of Muslims live in hot areas, why black?

Sahar

But what about the Niqab?

Also, why does it have to be black? Considering the majority of Muslims live in hot areas, why black?
If you asked me, I don't know what's up with the black thing, I knew that lady 'A'isha used to wear yellowish dress. Maybe it could be related to a hadith describing women as black crows or something when the verse of the hijab was prescribed, so they try to interpret this as they (the believer women at that time) wore black Esdal or 'Abaya...something like this.

I don't think it has much to do with this hadith but they took it from women in Saudi Arabia and the gulf.
I personally disagree with putting women in these huge black tents and covering even their eyes, making it hard to see.
There are more practical forms of the hijab and actually the niqab. (I also don't agree with covering woman's face, but it's up to her).

Last edited: