• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the hijab unnecessary?

Sahar

I still insist that secular values are the work of the devil and the poor brainwashed women in the west should be librated through wearing the hijab and covering themselves up. That's why hijab is not only necessary, but it's the only way to salvation and be civilized again.
Western women are brainwashed. Wearing hijab is the answer. Nudity is evil. I really feel sorry for these women. The society forced them to wear...well, less through systamic injection of these evil values. We have to protect them from themselves.

:yes: :yes:
Poor women, women there can't think for themselves!! They have to expose their bodies so that men can enjoy themselves.
We shouldn't stand silent in front of this brainwashing, TashaN!!

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I hope I know you all better then I think I do and that you are just being Sarcastic you silly Muslims...:angel2:
(Silly Muslims meant as a joke :D)

Oh no! I feel so helpless because I'm wearing some shorts and a t-shirt right now! I need someone to rescue me by covering every inch of my body except for my hands and face with material!:facepalm:

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
Wow! I guess I'm brainwashed... You have no reason to feel sorry for us western women. I know I am perfectly happy. You know I could say the same about the women of Islam. But I don't because if it is their choice to do the things they do and it makes them happy then so be it. You all are happy the way you are and we are happy the way we are. If we weren't happy we would change it. I have one question for you. Why do you feel nudity is so evil? Is it because your book says so? And I do not think that we need to be protected from ourselves but we need to be protected from oppressive, controlling, closed-minded people like you. You should get a clue and realize that there are people functioning just fine that do not live they way that you think they should live.

Notice that this is a debate's area WW.
He -obviously- isn't forcing any ideas on you, and definitely not being "controlling".

You are free to do whatever you like, and we are just debating our thoughts in here.

Notice that this is a debate's area WW.
He -obviously- isn't forcing any ideas on you, and definitely not being "controlling".

You are free to do whatever you like, and we are just debating our thoughts in here.
Maybe I answered a little hastily without thinking about what I was saying. Sorry. I just think that insisting that women must cover their bodies as they do in his culture, and saying thing like western women souls are degraded, our bodies are exploited and that we are deprived of our honor, that comes off a little harsh to me and makes me question his intentions of his posting. I just don't appreciate it when people think that we have to live exactly how they do or we are doomed. And I know he is not necessarily forcing his ideas on me but he is making it clear how badly he thinks of people who don't do things his way. I mean he said that the only way for us to be civilized is if we wear a hijab. Really? That sounds crazy to me.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Western women are brainwashed. Wearing hijab is the answer. Nudity is evil. I really feel sorry for these women. The society forced them to wear...well, less through systamic injection of these evil values. We have to protect them from themselves.

I am going out on a limb here, TashaN, but I am going to come out and say you are not actually serious and that you are simply "having one over" on us. Is this correct?

.lava

Veteran Member
ahh please stop calling each other 'brainwashed'. as not all Western women are volunteer to show off their bodies just because they do not wear hijab, not all Muslim women would be a saint simply by wearing hijab.

we Muslims believe in Qur'an and wearing modesty is a command of Allah. here, that's the only thing you can not be OK with. it is not going to change just because you do not like it. because it is none of your business so deal with it internally.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
300w32q.jpg

You do realise he isn't being serious?

Sahar

I just don't appreciate it when people think that we have to live exactly how they do or we are doomed.And I know he is not necessarily forcing his ideas on me but he is making it clear how badly he thinks of people who don't do things his way. I mean he said that the only way for us to be civilized is if we wear a hijab. Really? That sounds crazy to me.
I don't know, my friend, why those arrogant fanatic Muslims think if you don't think, act and wear like them you're not civilized, and you must be oppressed and brainwashed!!
It indeed sounds crazy...:shrug:
I have a few points to make about this. Hijab as a political icon shows the intent of muslims to prevent integration in a western country. However, they expect our women to wear hijab when we visit their country.

I would in fact argue that Muslim women are deceived by the males in Islam. I see the hijab as oppressive to women who dress beautifully in private.

I believe the men of Islam should cut women some slack, rather than being so possessive of their wifes (despite the likes of Peace who maintain that they do have rights in theory).

One final point, from personal experience, I find the mysterious nature of a woman in hijab very attractive. I am sure many others also find mysterious women attractive. Maybe not... I do not see hijab as fulfilling the purpose it was designed for.

The gesture of only showing yourself to one person offered by the hijab and niqab is a gesture that many people (not including myself) don't respect today. It seems rather outdated to be relevant in the 21st century.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wow! I guess I'm brainwashed... You have no reason to feel sorry for us western women. I know I am perfectly happy. You know I could say the same about the women of Islam. But I don't because if it is their choice to do the things they do and it makes them happy then so be it. You all are happy the way you are and we are happy the way we are. If we weren't happy we would change it. I have one question for you. Why do you feel nudity is so evil? Is it because your book says so? And I do not think that we need to be protected from ourselves but we need to be protected from oppressive, controlling, closed-minded people like you. You should get a clue and realize that there are people functioning just fine that do not live they way that you think they should live.

First of all, welcome to the forums. Just so you know, i wasn't serious at all, i was just being sarcastic. If you read this thread from the beginning, you would notice that many Muslim women members have defended their choice of wearing the hijab. They defended their choice just like you have defended yours. Then what did they get in here? Some people accused them of being brainwashed just for choosing to wear the hijab. I respect both, those who wear the hijab and those who don't. I just hate it when some people claim they are teaching us how to be civilized through doing a copy/paste for their culture, norms, and values. I respect the strong sense of human rights and equality voiced by many informed western societies but they seem to forget that other people have the right to make their own choices in life as well and that they can be free and civilized as well without having to imatate the west, without *wearing* like the west, without behaving like the west. I'm proud of those women who don't only fight injustice being done to them, but also to other women from different backgrounds and values as well.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
If I'm right I think what Tashan was trying to do was point out how ridiculous it is to assume someone is automatically oppressed because they wear a hijab. I really am not sure what the argument is about, no one here thinks the hijab should be forced on people and surely if we want to promote freedom and stuff the freedom to wear a hijab should be allowed?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
If one chooses to wear the hijab, or any other attire that is prescribed by religion or tradition (habit, full length dress, head scarf etc.) so be it. It is a choice.

When forced to do so, it becomes a different matter.

Sahar

I just don't appreciate it when people think that we have to live exactly how they do or we are doomed.And I know he is not necessarily forcing his ideas on me but he is making it clear how badly he thinks of people who don't do things his way. I mean he said that the only way for us to be civilized is if we wear a hijab. Really? That sounds crazy to me.
This is what maro, Sajdah, Peace, lava, me said many times here. I thank you really for these words.