• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any place for blasphemy laws in the twenty first century?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Lol, sqirm because of you, dont be funny.

Those people who harm others in the name of a religion is not true followers.
Those who harm their own childrens in the name of religion does not follow the teaching.

I do not say you or others should be gagged but is it ok that religioues people are gagged for soeaking their belief?

Who said religious people should be gagged ?
You are inventing stuff.

The only issue here is blasphemy laws.
Those laws only protect the insecure, the dictatorial, and cruel theocracies.

stvdv

Veteran Member
No. The RCC did much worse things...but in the 19th century it stopped.
When the Vatican lost political power, what a coincidence.
Do you think when we give RCC the freedom, no punishment or whatever,
to do these "worse things" in name of their religion
That they would do it again?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I do not support any form of killing someone, but blasphemy law is important since it is clear that not all people can accept the religioues view of others.

No. Au contraire.

Why should some people be allowed to do their best to damage a religion just because they do not like it them self?

A better question to ask is "why should non-followers of religion x be bound by the rules of said religion?"

Because that is what you demand by installing "blasphemy" laws.
Also: which blasphemy laws? You can't take all blasphemy laws from all religions, as they will overlap in mutually exclusive / self-contradicting nonsense.

It will also rape the free exercise of (any) religion, as the practices of one religion might be blasphemous in another religion.

Blasphemy laws and secular democracy / religious freedom simply do not go together. They are incompatible to boot.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member
Is it the words themselves that create anger, or is it the recipients' reaction to them?

If one becomes angry over words, one should take a look at oneself before passing blame onto another.
IMO:
That is the wise thing to do; not all are wise though

But all are responsible for their actions (incl. speech/words)
So, they should not start whining when others get upset over their speech

Here applies your rule too:
They should take a look at themselves (uttering anger creating words; esp. when done on purpose)
(I did send Wilders an email when he wanted to do the Muhammad drawing contest....to not do it)
(Although Muslims made the first mistake imposing on the West to follow their blasphemy rules)
(Better be the wise, when the other behaves ignorant. There are better ways to educate)

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
All people should show each other equal respect

Apparantly not, since you obviously think that theists should have more respect then atheist. Or perhaps I should say, muslims should be given more respect then non-muslims.

Because your entire case about blasphemy laws is based on "it offends muslims". But you don't seem to care AT ALL about how those very laws offend secularists. To top it off and make matters even worse, you demand these anti-secular, anti-democratic, anti-religious freedom laws to be established not in predominantly islamic semi-theocracy.... No no, you demand them in western secular democracies, where muslims are a minority.

Some nerve, you have.

Would i listen to an extremist atheist? NO

What is an "extremist atheist"? Someone how really doesn't believe in a god? :rolleyes:

I think what you mean, is an anti-theist. Which is not the same thing.

Would i listen to an extremist religioues person? NO

From the things you say, I'ld bet that you will much sooner be listening to an extremist theist then an "extremist anti-theist". You're in fact already halfway there, demanding the blasphemy laws of your specific religion of choice to be included in the law of secular democracies.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Apparantly not, since you obviously think that theists should have more respect then atheist. Or perhaps I should say, muslims should be given more respect then non-muslims.

Because your entire case about blasphemy laws is based on "it offends muslims". But you don't seem to care AT ALL about how those very laws offend secularists. To top it off and make matters even worse, you demand these anti-secular, anti-democratic, anti-religious freedom laws to be established not in predominantly islamic semi-theocracy.... No no, you demand them in western secular democracies, where muslims are a minority.

Some nerve, you have.

What is an "extremist atheist"? Someone how really doesn't believe in a god? :rolleyes:

I think what you mean, is an anti-theist. Which is not the same thing.

From the things you say, I'ld bet that you will much sooner be listening to an extremist theist then an "extremist anti-theist". You're in fact already halfway there, demanding the blasphemy laws of your specific religion of choice to be included in the law of secular democracies.
Your opinion about me is ok, its your thoughts. I can only do my best to follow the spiritual teachings and its law. If others dont want that, its their choice.

But i am still allowed to say no to blasphemy

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Why must someone speak bad about others belief?

Because in a free society, people are free to discuss any topic they like and express their opinions about it.

I can not and will not support blasphemy of religions

You don't have to support it.
You can also simply ignore it and have your own opinion about that - just like other people get to have an opinion (for better or worse) about your particular religion. Or any other religion.

Freedom. It's a good thing.
It's, in fact, what allows muslims to practice their religion in western, predominantly, judeo-christian countries.

This all thing sounds a bit like society giving you a hand, and you demanding an arm instead.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
IMO:
That is the wise thing to do; not all are wise though

But all are responsible for their actions (incl. speech/words)
So, they should not start whining when others get upset over their speech

Here applies your rule too:
They should take a look at oneself (uttering anger creating words; esp. when done on purpose)
(I did send Wilders an email when he wanted to do the Muhammad drawing contest....to not do it)
(Although Muslims made the first mistake imposing on the West to follow their blasphemy rules)
(Better be the wise, when the other behaves ignorant. There are better ways to educate)

The Four Agreements. :)

1. Be Impeccable with your Word: Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the Word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your Word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don’t Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don’t Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.

stvdv

Veteran Member
It seems incredibly damaging to Islam when these sentences are enacted.
IMO:
It "is" damaging to Islam. Nobody has the right to impose their religion on others, esp. not by killing them over it
They only show by such an act, that they have no respect whatsoever for the Creator (incl. His Creation)
Even the Koran says "IF you kill one person, you kill humanity", those Muslims must be blind

Last edited: