• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any place for blasphemy laws in the twenty first century?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yet, you want to take my freedom away of also expressing those beliefs and views.
In your opinion, only the religious should have that power / freedom.

You're certainly also not spending any energy to try and defend your hypocritical views either.
No matter what i say will be convincing you any way, no need to use energy to speak long posts with you. Better to be silence for me then, and let you spread your blasphemy

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Your opinion about me is ok, its your thoughts.

But you'ld happily push through legislation which would make it illegal for me to voice those opinions and thoughts.

I can only do my best to follow the spiritual teachings and its law. If others dont want that, its their choice.

You don't really believe that, since you believe that this choice of ours should be taken away.
Make up your mind.

But i am still allowed to say no to blasphemy

You are very much allowed to say (or not say) whatever the heck you want.
You are very much NOT allowed to impose that on me or others.

stvdv

Veteran Member
I do not support any form of killing someone
Good

So, you agree that all countries that "kill" people, in name of Islam, because they blaspheme, practise Islam wrong?

but blasphemy law is important since it is clear that not all people can accept the religioues view of others.
So, you agree that, according to Islam, the first blasphemy rule should be "do not kill others when they blaspheme"?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I was disturbed to read this news item about a man sentenced to be hung for blasphemy in Pakistan.

Christian man in Pakistan sentenced to be hanged for blaspheming Mohammed

A Pakistani man has been sentenced to die for blasphemy.

On Tuesday, Christian factory worker Asif Pervaiz was sentenced to be hanged after his supervisor accused him of defamatory text messages regarding the Muslim prophet Mohammed, reported Deutsche Welle.

In the southeast Asian nation of more than 210 million inhabitants, in which more than 95% of citizens practice Islam, communicating insulting remarks about Mohammed carries a mandatory death penalty.

After a seven-year trial in Lahore, the 37-year-old defendant was convicted and ordered to be "hanged by his neck (until) his death.”

Christian man in Pakistan sentenced to be hanged for blaspheming Mohammed

It seems incredibly damaging to Islam when these sentences are enacted. Is there any place for blasphemy laws in the 21st century?

I have not done enough research to satisfyingly say if death penalty should be there in this world or not. All the thinking and reading on this matter makes you wonder from one end to another based on circumstance and the land.

Yet, death penalty should be imposed only for murder. Killing a person for a text, no matter what the text is, is a crime by itself. I believe that the people who impose this kind of sentence should be convicted of murder and tried.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not support human offering or killing, i can not say i know of anyone practicing it today. But they have to speak for their views, i do not know them.

In the OP, a person was condemned to death for blasphemy. Can we agree that is a bad thing?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Good

So, you agree that all countries that "kill" people, in name of Islam, because they blaspheme, practise Islam wrong?

So, you agree that, according to Islam, the first blasphemy rule should be "do not kill others when they blaspheme"?
It even say in the qura to not harm people who holds different religion then us.
The part often used to critique Islam about killing othets is a verse about enemies in war. Not inocent people from other religions, that is something terrorist does not see i think.
Islam is about peace. Not a out global jihad in my understanding.

I am a novice in Islamic teaching, so my understanding is limited

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The reason i do not take part in answering every questions asked is because from experience in RF i know the discussion is not fruitfull, and only lead to more frustration for many people. I am ok with that people disagree with my views and understanding.

But at the same time, you're calling to install legislation that would shut up those who disagree and express their opinions.

So what's that about?

firedragon

Veteran Member
It even say in the qura to not harm people who holds different religion then us.
The part often used to critique Islam about killing othets is a verse about enemies in war. Not inocent people from other religions, that is something terrorist does not see i think.
Islam is about peace. Not a out global jihad in my understanding.

I am a novice in Islamic teaching, so my understanding is limited

You say you are a novice, but you absolutely got it right.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I do not support human offering or killing

Cool. So, would you make such religious practices illegal? If so, why? Be specific.

As for me:
- I do not support homophobia
- I do not support limiting people's freedom of expression
- I do not support slaughtering animals without some form of anesthesia (like muslims demand at the end of ramadan)

But they have to speak for their views, i do not know them.

They have to speak for their views? So you're saying you'ld be willing to listen to the arguments of such believers, so that they can make their case as to why they should be able to engage in human sacrifice?
Seriously?

I sure wouldn't. Their arguments are of no interest to me.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, i do not agree he should be killed of course

OK, good. That is a very good first step.

Should he be fined?

What 'punishment' should the law dictate for someone who offends the religious sensibilities of another?

Because that is what the issue is. It is NOT whether you, individually, think blasphemy is a good or bad thing. The issue is whether it should be illegal and what punishment should be given for it.

It's sort of like we don't have laws saying we should be polite. Most people prefer others be polite, but it is not the role of the law to dictate that.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
OK, good. That is a very good first step.

Should he be fined?

What 'punishment' should the law dictate for someone who offends the religious sensibilities of another?

Because that is what the issue is. It is NOT whether you, individually, think blasphemy is a good or bad thing. The issue is whether it should be illegal and what punishment should be given for it.

It's sort of like we don't have laws saying we should be polite. Most people prefer others be polite, but it is not the role of the law to dictate that.
I have not yet read every part of sharia law but as far as i know they do use sharia law in Pakistan. So the punishment would be within sharia law, but i cant say it should be punished with harming his body or mind. Maybe a payment of money could be enough