• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any place for blasphemy laws in the twenty first century?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have not yet read every part of sharia law but as far as i know they do use sharia law in Pakistan. So the punishment would be within sharia law, but i cant say it should be punished with harming his body or mind. Maybe a payment of money could be enough

Most of the sharia law is not written down by the way

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
No, i do want your freedom to be there. But i also want religioues freedom to be a part of society

Explain to us all how there is no religious freedom today in secular western countries.

I don't seem to recall any laws that state one can't be a muslim, jew, christian, hindu, buddhist, druid, shintoist, <insert religion here>...

Perhaps you can enlighten us... :rolleyes:

firedragon

Veteran Member
I have not yet read every part of sharia law but as far as i know they do use sharia law in Pakistan. So the punishment would be within sharia law, but i cant say it should be punished with harming his body or mind. Maybe a payment of money could be enough

No. They dont use Shariah in Pakistan.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Explain to us all how there is no religious freedom today in secular western countries.

I don't seem to recall any laws that state one can't be a muslim, jew, christian, hindu, buddhist, druid, shintoist, <insert religion here>...

Perhaps you can enlighten us... :rolleyes:
No political law say that. But it is clear that many people in Western world are afraid of Islam and does not want it near them

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
No matter what i say will be convincing you any way

You sure can say that again.
Indeed, no matter what you say - you will not be convincing me that reinstating blasphemy law would ever be a good idea.

They very thought of it sends shivers down my spine. Not that you care about offending me though. ;)

Better to be silence for me then, and let you spread your blasphemy

People like you, just motivate me to blaspheme as much as I can.
Just like how the muslim bullies, only motivate Charlie Hebdo to make even more cartoons.
Just like how the muslim bullies, only motivated the world to organize events like "draw mohammed day".

Speaking of which.....

upload_2020-9-10_15-2-30.png

Now... go ahead and prove my point.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member
I have not done enough research to satisfyingly say if death penalty should be there in this world or not.
Good point. I have an interesting thought on this.
For example in a war. Assume a group of soldiers have the power to capture the others, but they could also kill them (like giving them death penalty). You would capture them, I guess, and not kill them. At least in this moment, as you have not yet done enough research to know for sure what to do?

Yet, death penalty should be imposed only for murder.
Personally I do not have a huge issue with that, though I am all for non-violence. BUT if they tell me to execute the person then it does get close. Only then we know for sure if we agree with imposing the death penalty on a murderer. So, a good question would be "am I willing to execute...."

Yet, death penalty should be imposed only for murder. Killing a person for a text, no matter what the text is, is a crime by itself.
Exactly. That I call common sense.

I believe that the people who impose this kind of sentence should be convicted of murder and tried.
Seems fair to me

stvdv

Veteran Member
People like you, just motivate me to blaspheme as much as I can.
Just like how the muslim bullies, only motivate Charlie Hebdo to make even more cartoons.
Just like how the muslim bullies, only motivated the world to organize events like "draw mohammed day".
In Hinduism they advise you to draw the picture of your Guru, because this develops Love towards your Guru
IF a muslim condemns me for doing this, telling me I am violating their Blasphemy Rules
THEN the muslim should consider he:
a) Takes away my Freedom of Religion, imposing his Religion on me
b) Blasphemes himself, by belittling my Religion, asking me to respect his Religion
c) Making him being a hypocrite too

IF the same Muslim still holds on to His view, I conclude we should treat him very strict, because giving such a person 1 finger, he will take your hand

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In Hinduism they advise you to draw the picture of your Guru, because this develops Love towards your Guru
IF a muslim condemns me for doing this, telling me I am violating their Blasphemy Rules
THEN the muslim should consider he:
a) Takes away my Freedom of Religion, imposing his Religion on me
b) Blasphemes himself, by belittling my Religion, asking me to respect his Religion
c) Making him being a hypocrite too

IF the same Muslim still holds on to His view, I conclude we should treat him very strict, because giving such a person 1 finger, he will take your hand
If its ok for you to draw your Guru that is within your spiritual teaching ok to do. That is no harm toward me. Drawing Muhamnad especially for muslims is Haram. Should not be done.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Sharia law should not apply to everyone in any country. It should not have the force of secular law and should not be able to impose a fine on any non-believer.

This is exactly the problem with theocracies: they impose their particular views on everyone. Secular societies allow everyone freedom to believe what they want. of course, they also allow for disagreements, both politically and religious.

People that get offended just need to develop a thicker skin.

And yes, that is equally true of atheists who could be offended by religious views. In a *free* society, there is no guarantee you will remain un-offended.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sharia law should not apply to everyone in any country. It should not have the force of secular law and should not be able to impose a fine on any non-believer.

This is exactly the problem with theocracies: they impose their particular views on everyone. Secular societies allow everyone freedom to believe what they want. of course, they also allow for disagreements, both politically and religious.

People that get offended just need to develop a thicker skin.

And yes, that is equally true of atheists who could be offended by religious views. In a *free* society, there is no guarantee you will remain un-offended.
In my view sharia law is only for muslims to follow. Unfortunatly some muslims tries to make non muslims follow it too. I do not think that is a correct way to practice Islam

stvdv

Veteran Member
What 'punishment' should the law dictate for someone who offends the religious sensibilities of another?
A good punishment would be:
Allow the other to blaspheme his religion for 1 hour
(not allowed to put his fingers in his ears)
That might teach him a lesson:D

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
In my view sharia law is only for muslims to follow. Unfortunatly some muslims tries to make non muslims follow it too. I do not think that is a correct way to practice Islam

Can we go further and say it is wrong? That sharia law should not have the force of *government* behind it?

stvdv

Veteran Member
Good
So, you agree that all countries that "kill" people, in name of Islam, because they blaspheme, practise Islam wrong?
So, you agree that, according to Islam, the first blasphemy rule should be "do not kill others when they blaspheme"?

It even say in the qura to not harm people who holds different religion then us.
The part often used to critique Islam about killing othets is a verse about enemies in war. Not inocent people from other religions, that is something terrorist does not see i think.
Islam is about peace. Not a out global jihad in my understanding.

I am a novice in Islamic teaching, so my understanding is limited
Thanks,

I am glad to read you totally agree with my 2 points
I would not expect any different from you though:)

firedragon

Veteran Member
He frequently expressed the view that he thinks blasphemy laws should be reinstated.
Which would obviously limit my freedom of expression.

So in fact your statement "calling to install legislation that would shut up those who disagree and express their opinions" is false. Because you speak of him installing blasphemy laws, not "expressing their opinion".

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

And, suppose that someone is Muslim and then decides to convert to, say, Christianity. Does sharia law still apply?