• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Trinity in the Bible?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I agree that the Trinity doesn't depart from the concept of unqualified infinity, and that goes to the point of the Trinity concept. It's an abstract and necessary concept necessary in order to get to the diversity we experience in our lives. As a concept, the Trinity allows for the Infinite's diversity while maintaining its fundamental oneness. Without it, God will be distinct--and finite--entity pulling the universe out of his hat, so to speak, creating it ex nihilo. But if God is truely infinite, there is no "other," not even a nothing.

For this reason, I sometimes think of God (the "Father") as the light on the other side of the cosmic prism, as it were; the observer/observed phases of his being being equivalent to to the "Son" and matter while the coordinating mind is the equivalent of the Holy Spirit.

I know this sounds incomprehensible and confused, but it's really all very simple.

I can't say that I have seen anything in the Bible that supports this view. Do you have any Biblical references?

I don't find this to be so. As Paul says, everything around you should testify of a creator. The difference is that a human is easier for us to relate to than the unseen. However the matter (of the human form) is less consequential than the revelation of God that proceeds from it.

The mind is also part of the body and therefore not God. It is the spirit of God working through the minds of men that multiplies the Jesus principle.

It is not a problem for me. I am used to talking to my brother who listens to God. It isn't so much that God wishes to be confusing as it is that sometimes it is hard to put spiritual things into words. At least I am used to God speaking so I understand better.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Did you mean "communicate through"??

If so can you produce some evidence that God spoke through Jesus? I've been looking through the 4 gospels and haven't seen it yet.

Thank you for correcting my typographical error.

I think you know better because you have quoted verses in other threads supporting this statement.

Muffled

Jesus in me
True, the trinity cannot be found in the Bible. People who say that it can be found are trying to twist scripture to suit the ideas formulated well after Jesus' death. No early followers of Judaism would have dared hint at God being "three-in-one." This is the truth. We hear all throughout the Bible that God is ONE and that God does not change.

DreGod07, God did indeed speak through Jesus. This does not mean that Jesus is God, but rather that he was the mouthpiece of God to humanity. What was spoken by Jesus was from God, but he was not God himself, for NO man can be God~Numbers 23:19, among others.

This argument should have ended when nobody could properly explain why Jesus claims to have a God...Can God Almighty have a God. Heaven forbid! I have heard it explained that while in the flesh he had a God. Okay, so then we should not worship Jesus anyways using that logic, correct? For if in the flesh he was a man, then how can we worship him? Once something has been created, it ceases from being the Creator. Without God, there would be NO Jesus. God can exist without Jesus, but not the other way around, right?

Actually I don't argue a point more than once and I have already made my statement in General Debates in a thread titled "Is Jesus God in the Flesh?".

For your benefit I will expound again on this. The creator is eternal. The creation is temporal. That does not prohibit God from acting temporarily in Jesus.

For once it would be nice to have someone comment on the Biblical evidence that I presented on this although I can thank DreGod07 for doing so.

Even though you are walking on thin ice with this statement, I would like to see your references and logic.

I don't hold to this view although many Christians do. I see it as one in three. The creed also uses that language as well but adds "persons" which I don't agree with.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Your still on this subject?!
If there was any tangible evidence, everyone would believe and there would be an empty forum.

Shalom

Baruch Ha’ba B’Shem Adonai

I know Ronald but I wasn't the one that started the thread. The OP asserts Jesus is God by using the bible....but as we have seen it does nothing of the sort. So far the the 4 gospels are silent on Jesus being God. After the 4 gospels is where we see the opinions of men, some who never met Jesus, claiming him to be God.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
DreGod07, God did indeed speak through Jesus. This does not mean that Jesus is God, but rather that he was the mouthpiece of God to humanity. What was spoken by Jesus was from God, but he was not God himself, for NO man can be God~Numbers 23:19, among others.
Yeah, I know. But After all of this time I have a hard time believing anything Muffled says unless it is backed by a scripture that I can check out.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Actually I don't argue a point more than once and I have already made my statement in General Debates in a thread titled "Is Jesus God in the Flesh?".

And as you know I'm heavily involved in that thread as well and no trinitarian has stepped forth to explain this to us......

John 20:17
Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Lu 22:42 saying, "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me;
nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done."

Matthew 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

There's that "My God" again.

John 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

So far no one has stepped forth with an explanation on John 20:17

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Well I'll take one verse, how about John 20:17.

How is it you prefer to extricate that one verse to support your unique albeit unbiblical doctrine and decide instead to ignore the entire gospel? Or how about JUST the CHAPTER??? Here, let's read the whole thing:

John 20
The Empty Tomb

1 Now the first day of the week Mary Magdalene went to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. 2 Then she ran and came to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him.”
3 Peter therefore went out, and the other disciple, and were going to the tomb. 4 So they both ran together, and the other disciple outran Peter and came to the tomb first. 5 And he, stooping down and looking in, saw the linen cloths lying there; yet he did not go in. 6 Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb; and he saw the linen cloths lying there, 7 and the handkerchief that had been around His head, not lying with the linen cloths, but folded together in a place by itself. 8 Then the other disciple, who came to the tomb first, went in also; and he saw and believed. 9 For as yet they did not know the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead. 10 Then the disciples went away again to their own homes.

Mary Magdalene Sees the Risen Lord

11 But Mary stood outside by the tomb weeping, and as she wept she stooped down and looked into the tomb. 12 And she saw two angels in white sitting, one at the head and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. 13 Then they said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?”
She said to them, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him.”
14 Now when she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?”
She, supposing Him to be the gardener, said to Him, “Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him, and I will take Him away.”
16 Jesus said to her, “Mary!”
She turned and said to Him, “Rabboni!” (which is to say, Teacher).
17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’”
18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that He had spoken these things to her.

The Apostles Commissioned

19 Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled,[c] for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.
21 So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

Seeing and Believing

24 Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”
So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”
26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”
28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
That You May Believe

30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

1. The chapter (not to mention the entire book of John) is a witness and testimony to the divinity of Jesus Christ, his life, crucifixion, death, resurrection and ascension. Let's not brush aside the entire POINT of the book of John if you're going to quote it and retain any credibility please.

2. Interestingly, Thomas exclaimed MY LORD AND MY GOD upon seeing Jesus after the resurrection and examining his wounds.

3. Jesus didn't tear his clothes, cry out "heresy, lies! Hear O Israel, our God is One God!", didn't rebuke Thomas for calling him LORD and GOD, as any good Jewish rabbi would have done. Unless of course he was the Christ.

4. Once again, in case you hadn't noticed just by reading the text or wish to stubbornly evade the theme, content, context and testimony of John, he has conveniently provided his own synopsis:
And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

In summary: I challenge you to read the Gospel of John and explain to me how anyone with an ounce of intellectual integrity can use his writings to prove Jesus was NOT 'the Christ the Son of God', when John explicity states "Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name".

Either John fabricated his story and was a liar, in which case we can safely disregard anything he has to say at all, or he was telling the truth in which case we should respect his entire teaching including his own conclusions as to what he saw, heard and experienced.

You can't have it both ways.​

Smoke

Done here.
The Doctrine of the Trinity that is in vogue these days is taken from the Athanasian Creed
Nonsense. The doctrine of the Trinity predates the Athanasian Creed, and the Eastern Churches, which are Trinitarian, regard the Athanasian Creed as heretical, so I think you'd have a hard time showing that they draw their teachings from it.

Ronald

How is it you prefer to extricate that one verse to support your unique albeit unbiblical doctrine and decide instead to ignore the entire gospel? Or how about JUST the CHAPTER??? Here, let's read the whole thing:

John 20
The Empty Tomb

1 Now the first day of the week Mary Magdalene went to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. 2 Then she ran and came to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him.”
3 Peter therefore went out, and the other disciple, and were going to the tomb. 4 So they both ran together, and the other disciple outran Peter and came to the tomb first. 5 And he, stooping down and looking in, saw the linen cloths lying there; yet he did not go in. 6 Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb; and he saw the linen cloths lying there, 7 and the handkerchief that had been around His head, not lying with the linen cloths, but folded together in a place by itself. 8 Then the other disciple, who came to the tomb first, went in also; and he saw and believed. 9 For as yet they did not know the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead. 10 Then the disciples went away again to their own homes.

11 But Mary stood outside by the tomb weeping, and as she wept she stooped down and looked into the tomb. 12 And she saw two angels in white sitting, one at the head and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. 13 Then they said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?”
She said to them, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him.”
14 Now when she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?”
She, supposing Him to be the gardener, said to Him, “Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him, and I will take Him away.”
17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’”
18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that He had spoken these things to her.

19 Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled,[c] for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.
21 So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

Seeing and Believing

24 Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”
So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”
26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”
29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
That You May Believe

30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

1. The chapter (not to mention the entire book of John) is a witness and testimony to the divinity of Jesus Christ, his life, crucifixion, death, resurrection and ascension. Let's not brush aside the entire POINT of the book of John if you're going to quote it and retain any credibility please.

2. Interestingly, Thomas exclaimed MY LORD AND MY GOD upon seeing Jesus after the resurrection and examining his wounds.

3. Jesus didn't tear his clothes, cry out "heresy, lies! Hear O Israel, our God is One God!", didn't rebuke Thomas for calling him LORD and GOD, as any good Jewish rabbi would have done. Unless of course he was the Christ.

4. Once again, in case you hadn't noticed just by reading the text or wish to stubbornly evade the theme, content, context and testimony of John, he has conveniently provided his own synopsis:
And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

In summary: I challenge you to read the Gospel of John and explain to me how anyone with an ounce of intellectual integrity can use his writings to prove Jesus was NOT 'the Christ the Son of God', when John explicity states "Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name".

Either John fabricated his story and was a liar, in which case we can safely disregard anything he has to say at all, or he was telling the truth in which case we should respect his entire teaching including his own conclusions as to what he saw, heard and experienced.​

"You strain at a gnat and swallow a camel."
Yeshua said "I am the son of God."
The Father/God sent Yeshua into the world to save the world! Not to deceive!
If Yeshua was God, he was a dimi-god, he was not complete or he lied, you can't have it both ways either!!!!
I repeat myself; again; the only benefit you derive from saying Jesus is God or one person in the trinity, is to be accepted as Christian.
No one who is not a trinitarian is accepted as a Christian.

In Judaism; the first created thing was the Alepbet/word of God, the NT says the same thing, but Christians wont believe it! Go figure????!!!

Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD!

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
"You strain at a gnat and swallow a camel."

Specifically, how.

Yeshua said "I am the son of God."
I never said he didn't.

The Father/God sent Yeshua into the world to save the world! Not to deceive!

Exactly.

If Yeshua was God, he was a dimi-god, he was not complete or he lied, you can't have it both ways either!!!!

I have no idea what you are talking about, no matter how many exclamation points you use.

I repeat myself; again; the only benefit you derive from saying Jesus is God or one person in the trinity, is to be accepted as Christian.
No one who is not a trinitarian is accepted as a Christian.
So what is your point.

In Judaism; the first created thing was the Alepbet/word of God, the NT says the same thing, but Christians wont believe it! Go figure????!!!
What is it exactly you wish Christians would believe. You are not being very clear here at all.

Perhaps you would do me the courtesy of quoting whatever it is you take issue with in my post, and responding point by point for clarification.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Nonsense. The doctrine of the Trinity predates the Athanasian Creed, and the Eastern Churches, which are Trinitarian, regard the Athanasian Creed as heretical, so I think you'd have a hard time showing that they draw their teachings from it.

I agree with the Eastern Churches on this account. In that case if you wish to refer to the Doctrine of the Trinity according to the Apostles or Nicean creed, I am in agreement with it.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

John 20
The Empty Tomb

Seeing and Believing

That You May Believe

Either John fabricated his story and was a liar, in which case we can safely disregard anything he has to say at all, or he was telling the truth in which case we should respect his entire teaching including his own conclusions as to what he saw, heard and experienced.

I am not worthy to challenge you on something I agree with. That wouldn't make ANY SENSE.

The debate is not (Is Jesus the Son of God). That goes without question. We know that he is a son of God's.

The debate is whether the trinity is in the bible. Through my research of the 4 gospels the answer is NO.

The trinity is man made by those after Jesus. This concept was not held by, preached by nor taught by Jesus.

John 20:17 Stands firm. Jesus had not ascended to his father, God. We can find and read that he "prayed" to God A LOT. In his last hours he prayed a lot to the point of crying and begging. Even on the cross he calls out in pain asking God why was he (Jesus) forsaken by him.

Jesus saw himself as being one in purpose but not one in the same.

John 20:17
Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Ronald

Specifically, how.
My Lord and my God!

I never said he didn't.
Implied.

Exactly.

I have no idea what you are talking about, no matter how many exclamation points you use.
Either he is a liar or a deciever. He can't be the son of God and God.

So what is your point.
Trinity is made up. Not God breathed.

What is it exactly you wish Christians would believe. You are not being very clear here at all.
The bible. No Adders.

Perhaps you would do me the courtesy of quoting whatever it is you take issue with in my post, and responding point by point for clarification.
Okay! Done. But convincing the convinced is not my bag. How many gods are there? Since you don't accept God's words that he spoke to a Prophet! "Besides me there is no other God."

Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD!

Vjkingjr

No..the word trinity is not mentioned once in the Bible.

Jesus is reffered frequently as the Son of God.
Some christians however twist and turn things to make it seem like they are Tri-une..just as a Father and Son are 'one' so are Jesus and God.

logician

It was convenient that the supposed Jesus died on a supposed cross, so the sign of the trinity could be made in the form of a cross. What if the supposed Jesus died by hanging?

Muffled

Jesus in me
No..the word trinity is not mentioned once in the Bible.

Jesus is reffered frequently as the Son of God.
Some christians however twist and turn things to make it seem like they are Tri-une..just as a Father and Son are 'one' so are Jesus and God.

Mt 28:19Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit:
Jesus ties the three titles together under one name. That constitutes a trinity. How the three elements of the Trinity are related usually is what people debate about the most.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Mt 28:19Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit:
Jesus ties the three titles together under one name. That constitutes a trinity. How the three elements of the Trinity are related usually is what people debate about the most.

But even Matthew 28:19 is not a convincing argument.

Matthew 28:19 (RSV)
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

So what is the name of the holy spirit. God's name is mentioned in the scriptures. The name of the son (Yeshua) is mentioned but so far I haven't found the name of the Holy Spirit........:sarcastic

No mystery here...... Even Yeshua saw that they were all seperate....

If all three were one God then one should Just baptize everyone by saying (I baptize you in the name of God).......

Muffled

Jesus in me
But even Matthew 28:19 is not a convincing argument.

Matthew 28:19 (RSV)
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

So what is the name of the holy spirit. God's name is mentioned in the scriptures. The name of the son (Yeshua) is mentioned but so far I haven't found the name of the Holy Spirit........:sarcastic

No mystery here...... Even Yeshua saw that they were all seperate....

If all three were one God then one should Just baptize everyone by saying (I baptize you in the name of God).... ...

My name is Glenn and there are thousands of other names.

How can you put words in His mouth after reading that He connects all three as ONE name.

This could be done of course but Christians are obediant to their king who is Jesus and the above verse is a command. By the way we don't substitute in the names of Jehovah, Jesus and the baptizer either because we were not commanded to do so and I doubt any Christian would interpet it that way.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How can you put words in His mouth after reading that He connects all three as ONE name.
Gramatically, they're not (at least not in English - if you can read Hebrew, you may be able to disprove me): the "of"s are the giveaway. If it were one name, it would be "in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit". The way the passage is written is equivalent to saying "...baptise in the name of the Father, baptise in the name of the Son, and baptise in the name of the Holy Spirit."

This could be done of course but Christians are obediant to their king who is Jesus and the above verse is a command.
Just like Jesus' command to his followers to wash each other's feet, otherwise they have no part of Him? "Commands" appear to be flexible in most Christian denominations.