• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Woke a religion?

We Never Know

No Slack
I think that @Shadow Wolf was asking why you feel it necessary to label that specific relationship? Anything more than your idle curiosity?
Because that's what I think. If its wrong then they can correct me.
IMO when two physical males are in a relationship its a homosexual relationship.
Both are having physical sex with their male parts not their minds.
Are we supposed to not call it a homosexual relationship because one feels like a female?
If a feminine gay man a homosexual?

ppp

There is a lot to unpack right there.

Recently I came across a report on the civil right protests led by Martin Luthor King Jr and in particular Birmingham Alabama. Eugene "Bull" Conner the city commissioner of Birmingham Alabama in the late 50s' and early 60's and a staunch segregationist. He was the man who ordered high pressure hoses be turned on black children along with ordering the police to turn dogs loose on these same children and insisting the children be attacked with batons. Conner said in an interview at the time that he did not in any way hate black people but disagreed with the idea of racial equality and only had issues with African American's who didn't know and accept their place.
I was struck by your use of the same ideas 60 years later.

History teaches us a lot and the history of how the word "woke" was hijacked is an interesting read.

in a 2020 interview with Vox Magazine Karen Swallow Prior, a professor of English and Christianity and culture at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary recalls “In my conservative Southern Baptist community, the term has become an insult that is used against anyone who is concerned about justice and racism,” She relates how religious leaders were encouraged to push the new usage in their sermons and daily dealings to attack anyone and any idea from the left.

So yes it is perfectly possible for reasonable people to agree with the goal of reducing discrimination., but disagree with certain ideologies that isn't what happened.
Right wingers have a habit of using minority groups as cover for their bigoted attitudes towards a different set of minorities.

We Never Know

No Slack
Heck. Even if people in the past did something, it wouldn't justify @We Never Know prurience in the here and now.
Well that's the thing. Its pushed in our face and we are even given cis labels but we are not to ask questions about it.
And/or when we do ask questions we are again labeled as transphobe or homophobe.
So why the labels?

ppp

Because that's what I think.
"Because that is what I think" is not an answer to why. It is an answer to what.
IMO when two physical males are in a relationship its a homosexual relationship.
What you think - such as your interchangeable use of gender and sex - is not in accordance with the consensus of any major biological or psychological institution in the world. Do you care?

ppp

Well that's the thing. Its pushed in our face and we are even given cis labels but we are not to ask questions about it.
And/or when we do ask questions we are again labeled as transphobe or homophobe.
So why the labels?
"Pushed in our face" is just code for someone else has adult relationships that you have problems with. We heard the exact same "pushed in our face" terminology back the the 70s and 80s with regards to interracial relationships. You are just the latest in a repeating cycle of twaddle.

We Never Know

No Slack
"Because that is what I think" is not an answer to why. It is an answer to what.

What you think - such as your interchangeable use of gender and sex - is not in accordance with the consensus of any major biological or psychological institution in the world. Do you care?
Either include my whole post in your reply or your won't be responded to again.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Because that's what I think. If its wrong then they can correct me.
I'm not a they.
Are we supposed to not call it a homosexual relationship because one feels like a female?
If a feminine gay man a homosexual?
In past times it was just sex. The focus on was on the active and passive roles.
There's actually no real need for labels such as homosexual and heterosexual. They are rooted in trying to control sexuality and shame people (not just queers) and we can get along just fine without.

We Never Know

No Slack
"Pushed in our face" is just code for someone else has adult relationships that you have problems with. We heard the exact same "pushed in our face" terminology back the the 70s and 80s with regards to interracial relationships. You are just the latest in a repeating cycle of twaddle.

I don't care how someone else lives their life. Its their life. But when their life gives me labels such as cismale because I am a male, or labeled homophobe because I say cool for you but I don't care for it, or labeled transphobe because I question it... Those labels get my attention.
Live your life. Don't label me because you have a label.

We Never Know

No Slack
I'm not a they.

In past times it was just sex. The focus on was on the active and passive roles.
There's actually no real need for labels such as homosexual and heterosexual. They are rooted in trying to control sexuality and shame people (not just queers) and we can get along just fine without.
And there is no sense for cismale, homophobe or transphobe but you us them often huh?

ppp

Either include my whole post in your reply or your won't be responded to again.
Then make the effort to respond to my question, instead of just saying other random stuff. Look at the entire post that you are fussing about my not quoting. At no time does it provide a why @Shadow Wolf owes you with a label. We can go through your post line by line if you like. I would suggest that you read each line out loud to yourself and give it some serious consideration first.

Shadow Wolf

So why the labels?
It's not asking questions, it's how you ask them and how personal you make them.

We Never Know

No Slack
Then make the effort to respond to my question, instead of just saying other random stuff. Look at the entire post that you are fussing about my not quoting. At no time does it provide a why @Shadow Wolf owes you with a label. We can go through your post line by line if you like. I would suggest that you read each line out loud to yourself and give it some serious consideration first.
Wtf?

You asked me
Anything more than your idle curiosity?

I answered with...

"Because that's what I think. If its wrong then they can correct me.
Both are having physical sex with their male parts not their minds.
If a feminine gay man a homosexual?"

My response explained why. You didn't like it because its not what you wanted. Oh well.

And you didn't answer one question I asked.

anotherneil

I cut it because the entire post is built on a very faulty premise.
This doesn't even qualify as an explanation. It would be in your interest to keep the whole thing and to state your claim that the entire post is built on a "very faulty" premise. Furthermore, if you do believe that it's built on a "very faulty" premise, then it would be in your interest to explain what it is and how you found it in my post.

Wait - there's more: it's an action (altering of wording, misrepresenting a member, etc.) that could be seen as a forum rules violation (see "Trolling and Bullying" section) and treated as such.

You're not going to successfully smear someone's reputation by trying to alter their post on a forum, because anyone can easily reference it, and the member you're replying to can quickly and easily call you out on it; all you're going to do is ruin your own reputation & credibility.

There is an actual legal definition of religion and it's not "what a religion is." You don't know. Obviously you don't know.
So what? This isn't a law forum, a section of a forum on law and its existing legal definitions & structure. This isn't a forum where anyone has to be bound to legal definitions in their content.

Definitions can be updated, corrected, etc.

There are discussions on this forum about how laws are flawed or need to be changed all the time.

You're engaging in an appeal to authority fallacy by trying to arbitrarily impose a restriction that I don't need to adhere to.

Woke isn't a religion according to any law or legal definition and doesn't satisfy the standards that even Scientology managed to weasel through.
You're attacking a straw man.

I myself am no fan of the bulk of what's considered wokeness, but - I'm curious - what do you have against protecting 1st Amendment rights of those who do engage in wokeness?

Shadow Wolf

And there is no sense for cismale, homophobe or transphobe but you us them often huh?
I often just use bigot. And apparently you missed where sometimes clarification is needed. As I said it's like race. Most of the time it's just not needed. It adds nothing of real value or use to the information being conveyed so it's just left out. But if you're telling someone who and what the NAACP is then it's an example where it becomes relevant and important to the information. It's as I have previously described with cis. I very rarely ever use it.
It's the same way with sexual relationships. Guys, girls, intersexed, nonbinary, people have sex.

Reactions: ppp

Shadow Wolf

So what? This isn't a law forum, a section of a forum on law and its existing legal definitions & structure. This isn't a forum where anyone has to be bound to legal definitions in their content.
You made a claim regarding it being a religion in a legal way.