• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam: Ask your questions

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
[3:85] If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah), never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good)

does that answer your question ?

Another question to that would be "why do you think this is?" :)

maro

muslimah
eselam said:
is this about the cousin of lady Hadija (ra) who was a christian?
yes

if not can you explain it, and what does tawheed mean?

Tawheed..is Monotheism...it was still held by some of ' the people of the book ' who didn't believe in the trinity or in the divinity of jesus....there were plenty of them here in Egypt...and they all converted to Islam as it's the religion of pure Monotheism

Well a Muslim on this forum claimed that not only do Christians and Jews not exist, but that they are liars if they say they are Christian or Jewish... It was very bizarre.

I agree it's bizarre...i don't even undertand his logic !

I get what you mean about being misguided non-muslims... but if they are people of the book, and simply don't know better, or haven't heard the message of the Qur'an or read the Qur'an.... could they really be considered infidels? I mean, is an infidel someone who simply doesn't believe in Allah or hasn't heard of him? Or is an infidel someone who knows of the Qur'an and rejects it in favor of some other kind of gospel? Does infidel cover all these kinds of non-muslims? Does infidel always have negative connotations?

the infidel is someone who rejects the guidance of Allah...so ,yes....it has to be introduced to him CLEARLY first in order for him to reject it...which doesn't apply to anyone who haven't heard of Islam or the Quran...or is ignorant or confused about it...which means that not every non muslim can be labeled as an infidel....Only Allah knows who is
and yes ,it always has a negative connotaion

maro

muslimah

Another question to that would be "why do you think this is?" :)

why do i think what ?..I was not telling you what i think ,Odion....i quoted a verse from the quran..
are you asking about the logic behind the verse ?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
why do i think what ?..I was not telling you what i think ,Odion....i quoted a verse from the quran..
are you asking about the logic behind the verse ?

Yeah, the logic behind the verse. :)
Also, how one reconciles it with Al-Baqara verse 62. :)

إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ وَٱلَّذِينَ هَادُواْ وَٱلنَّصَـٰرَىٰ وَٱلصَّـٰبِـِٔينَ مَنۡ ءَامَنَ بِٱللَّهِ وَٱلۡيَوۡمِ ٱلۡأَخِرِ وَعَمِلَ صَـٰلِحً۬ا فَلَهُمۡ أَجۡرُهُمۡ عِندَ رَبِّهِمۡ وَلَا خَوۡفٌ عَلَيۡہِمۡ وَلَا هُمۡ يَحۡزَنُونَ
"Those who believe (in the Qur'an) and those who follow the Jewish (Scriptures) and the Christians and the Sabians, any who believe in Allah and the Last Day and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve." (2:62, Yusuf Ali)

For example, this may lead Christians and Jews to think "I don't need to worry about if Islam is right, because as long as I am Jewish/Christian/Sabian (who are they anyway? :D) I will go to Heaven." (not a healthy view!) - so, it makes me wonder, how are they reconciled?

I get the feeling this is a topic with a very complex answer? :)

Gharib

I want Khilafah back

إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ وَٱلَّذِينَ هَادُواْ وَٱلنَّصَـٰرَىٰ وَٱلصَّـٰبِـِٔينَ مَنۡ ءَامَنَ بِٱللَّهِ وَٱلۡيَوۡمِ ٱلۡأَخِرِ وَعَمِلَ صَـٰلِحً۬ا فَلَهُمۡ أَجۡرُهُمۡ عِندَ رَبِّهِمۡ وَلَا خَوۡفٌ عَلَيۡہِمۡ وَلَا هُمۡ يَحۡزَنُونَ​

"Those who believe (in the Qur'an) and those who follow the Jewish (Scriptures) and the Christians and the Sabians, any who believe in Allah and the Last Day and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve." (2:62, Yusuf Ali)

For example, this may lead Christians and Jews to think "I don't need to worry about if Islam is right, because as long as I am Jewish/Christian/Sabian (who are they anyway? :D) I will go to Heaven." (not a healthy view!) - so, it makes me wonder, how are they reconciled?

Sabian- means the people who believed in the angels.

that verse is corect, but what it actually means is those of the jews, christians, and sabian who believed in Allah (swt), his revelations and his prophets including Muhammed (saws).

NOTE: i have an albanian translation and the translator (peace be upon him) has added things in brackets to the verses to explain what is actually meant by it. thats where i got the thing about them 3 people having to accept Muhammed (saws) alongside the other prophets, and shall have no fear in the day of judgement.

maro

muslimah

it's simple..one can't reject the prophet..the revealation...invent his own dogma ...and still hope to be accepted in the day of judgment.

if they were just ignorant or unaware of the message..this is another story

إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ وَٱلَّذِينَ هَادُواْ وَٱلنَّصَـٰرَىٰ وَٱلصَّـٰبِـِٔينَ مَنۡ ءَامَنَ بِٱللَّهِ وَٱلۡيَوۡمِ ٱلۡأَخِرِ وَعَمِلَ صَـٰلِحً۬ا فَلَهُمۡ أَجۡرُهُمۡ عِندَ رَبِّهِمۡ وَلَا خَوۡفٌ عَلَيۡہِمۡ وَلَا هُمۡ يَحۡزَنُونَ​

actually the answer is very simple if we realized that there's something called 'reasons of the revealation '...they are essential for the tafsir and in putting each verse in its context to be undertood properly
The verse applies to those who were on the tawheed...be them from among the people of the book or sabians...and died before the revealation of the quran

this becomes clear only when we read the reason for its revealation :

Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews…) [2:62]. Al-Hafiz Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn Ahmad informed us> ‘Abd Allah ibn Muhammad ibn Ja‘far the al-Hafiz> Abu Yahya al-Razi> Sahl ibn ‘Uthman al-‘Askari> Yahya ibn Abi Za’idah who said: “Ibn Jurayj said> ‘Abd Allah ibn Kuthayr> Mujahid who said: ‘When Salman related to the Prophet, Allah bless him and give him peace, the story of the monks, the Prophet told him that they will dwell in hell fire’. Salman said: ‘The whole earth became gloomy for me, but then this verse was revealed (Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews) up to Allah’s saying (and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve), and it was as if a mountain had been lifted away from me’ ”. Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-‘Aziz al-Marwazi informed us> Muhammad ibn al-Husayn al-Haddadi> Abu Yazid> Ishaq ibn Ibrahim> ‘Amr> Asbat> al-Suddi who said: “The verse (Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews…) was revealed about the monks with whom Salman al-Farisi kept company. When Salman went to see the Messenger of Allah, Allah bless him and give him peace, he informed him about their worship and striving. He said: ‘O Messenger of Allah! They used to pray and fast; they believed in you and bore witness that you will be sent as a prophet’. When Salman finished his praise of them, Allah’s Messenger, Allah bless him and give him peace, said: ‘O Salman! They are of the dwellers of hell fire’. Allah then revealed (Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews) up to His saying (neither shall they grieve)”. Muhammad ibn Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn Ja‘far informed us> Muhammad ibn ‘Abd Allah ibn Zakariyya’> Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Rahman al-Daghuli> Abu Bakr ibn Abi Khaythamah> ‘Amr ibn Hammad> Asbat> al-Suddi> Abu Malik> Abu Salih> Ibn ‘Abbas> Murrah> Ibn Mas‘ud> also from some of the Companions of the Prophet, Allah bless him and give him peace: “(Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews) was revealed about Salman al-Farisi, a notable of Jundishapur; what follows this verse was revealed about the Jews”.

Altafsir.com - The Tafsirs - ÇáÊÝÇÓíÑ

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
Some of you may remember a poster who very briefly frequented the forum. This person claimed that there are no such things as Christians and Jews. Is this a common thought of Muslims? That Christians and Jews simply don't exist?

I agree it's bizarre...i don't even undertand his logic !

That's me i guess.I know that there are Ehli-kitab or people of the Book (Christians and Jews).
Holy Quran 3:64
Say: "O People of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners withhim; that we erect not, from among our selves, Lords and patrons other than Allah." If then they turn back, say ye: "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah's Will).
98:6
Those who reject (Truth), among the People of the Book and among the Polytheists, will be in Hell-Fire, to dwell therein (for aye).They are the worst of creatures.
And we Muslims believe in Jesus and Moses (Pbut) as Muslim messengers from Allah (swt).and Injeel and Torah (not the current bible).
But what i'm trying to say is: If a christian is a one who believes that the current Bible is from God or at least believes that what it says is the truth including its contradictions and scientific errors that no present christian denies.Then there is not a single christian.Only meaning that christians today do not really believe in what the bible says and to prove that it isn't the word of God.
2:79
Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands, and then say:"This is from Allah," to traffic with it for miserable price!- Woeto them for what their hands do write, and for the gain they make thereby.

Last edited:

maro

muslimah
But what i'm trying to say is: If a christian is a one who believes that the current Bible is from God or at least believes that what it says is the truth including its contradictions and scientific errors that no present christian denies.Then there is not a single christian.
And who defined christians as those who believe only in the injeel but not in the current man made bibles ?!! The quran ? the sunnah ? you ?
I understand what you are trying to say...but saying that ' there 's no single christian today ' is not the best way of saying it....it sounds bizarre ,bro

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
And who defined christians as those who believe only in the injeel but not in the current man made bibles ?!! The quran ? the sunnah ? you ?
I understand what you are trying to say...but saying that ' there 's no single christian today ' is not the best way of saying it....it sounds bizarre ,bro
Probably not a definition,yet christians say that they believe in the Bible (A claim that i don't believe) right ?
The term "Don't exist" simply means they aren't really christian if we agree to that definition. And yeah, probably this is not the best way to say it,but remember sister what i said earlier:
Only meaning that christians today do not really believe in what the bible says and to prove that it isn't the word of God.
2:79
Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands, and then say:"This is from Allah," to traffic with it for miserable price!- Woeto them for what their hands do write, and for the gain they make thereby.
Peace be with you sister :) !

Last edited:

iloveislam

Muslim
To my respected Muslim brothers and sisters,

As-salaamu'alaykum wa rahmathullah

Know that when a Hadith is presented to you then ask the person about its:

1. Full Reference
  2. (If possible) Declaration of its level of authenticity by a qualified Scholar (Unless the Hadith is narrated in Sahih Bukhari or Sahih Muslim)

The thread starter did not do a good job in terms of academia.

Not bothering to fully check and reference a quote is a grave mistake in academics, especially when the matter is to do with Islam.

As for the Hadiths presented in the first post, then it follows:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said:

“Do not laugh too much, for laughing deadens the heart.” [Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2305 & Ibn Maajah, 4193]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Do not laugh too much, for laughing too much deadens the heart.” [Saheeh al-Jaami, 7312]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Woe to the one who tells lies to make people laugh, woe to him.”
[Sunan Abu Dawud - Book 41, Number 4972]

Now concerning the question presented in the 1st post, do not waste your time arguing endlessly or "debating" on this issue, since this is a matter of qualified Islamic Scholars to deal with rather than laymen.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Could you please explain to me what he means? Every time I read his reply, I think, "That doesn't sound right..."

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
You see sister the holy Quran said 5:68
قُلْ يَا أَهْلَ الْكِتَابِ لَسْتُمْ عَلَى شَيْءٍ حَتَّىَ تُقِيمُواْ التَّوْرَاةَ وَالإِنجِيلَ وَمَا أُنزِلَ إِلَيْكُم مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ وَلَيَزِيدَنَّ كَثِيرًا مِّنْهُم مَّا أُنزِلَ إِلَيْكَ مِن رَّبِّكَ طُغْيَانًا وَكُفْرًا فَلاَ تَأْسَ عَلَى الْقَوْمِ الْكَافِرِينَ
Say: "O People of the Book! ye have no ground to stand upon unless ye stand fast by the Law, the Gospel, and all the revelation that has come to you from your Lord." It is the revelation that cometh to thee from thy Lord, that increaseth in most of them their obstinate rebellionand blasphemy. But sorrow thou not over (these) people without Faith.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Muslims often refer to there being many errors in the Torah/Gospels and even the song of Solomon/Schlomo my question is how many errors are there in the Quran?

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
Muslims often refer to there being many errors in the Torah/Gospels and even the song of Solomon/Schlomo my question is how many errors are there in the Quran?
There are no errors in the Noble Quran.Some people claim that there are errors and some mistranslate the Quran and claim that it has errors,as in this link:
Science in the Quran
And as i said in before: If you open the Quran you'll find that these people were just lying,
You red this ?
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/quranic-debates/79891-quran-free-errors.html Post 6-9

You England if I'm not wrong are one of those who claimed that the Quran says that the earth is flat right ?
Respond:
"And Allah has made the earth for you as a carpet (spread out)."
[Al-Qur’an 71:19]
the sentence in the above verse is not complete. It continues in the next verse, explaining the previous verse. It says:
"That ye may go about therein, in spacious roads."
[Al-Qur’an 71:20]
A similar message is repeated in Surah Taha:
"He Who has made for you the earth like a carpet spread out; has enabled you to go about therein by roads (and channels)...."
[Al-Qur’an 20:53]
The surface of the earth i.e. earth’s crust is less than 30 miles in thickness and is very thin as compared to the radius of the earth which is about 3750 miles. The deeper layers of the earth are very hot, fluid and hostile to any form of life. The earth’s crust is a solidified shell on which we can live. The Qur’an rightly refers to it like a carpet spread out, so that we can travel along its roads and paths.
2. Carpet can also be spread on other than an absolute flat surface
Not a single verse of the Qur’an says that the earth is flat. The Qur’an only compares the earth’s crust with a carpet. Some people seem to think that carpet can only be put on an absolute flat surface. It is possible to spread a carpet on a large sphere such as the earth. It can easily be demonstrated by taking a huge model of the earth’s globe covering it with a carpet.
Carpet is generally put on a surface, which is not very comfortable to walk on. The Qur’an describes the earth crust as a carpet, without which human beings would not be able to survive because of the hot, fluid and hostile environment beneath it. The Qur’an is thus not only logical, it is mentioning a scientific fact that was discovered by geologists centuries later.
3. Earth has been spread out
Similarly, the Qur’an says in several verses that the earth has been spread out.
"And We have spread out the (spacious) earth: how excellently We do spread out!"
[Al-Qur’an 51:48]
Similarly the Qur’an also mentions in several other verses that the earth is an expanse:
"Have We not made the earth as a wide expanse"
"And the mountains as pegs?"
[Al-Qur’an 78:6-7]
None of these verses of the Qur’an contain even the slightest implication that the earth is flat. It only indicates that the earth is spacious and the reason for this spaciousness of the earth is mentioned. The Glorious Qur’an says:
"O My servants who believe! truly. spacious is My Earth: therefore serve ye Me –(And Me alone)!"
[Al-Qur’an 29:56]
Therefore none can give the excuse, that he could not do good and was forced to do evil because of the surroundings and circumstances.
4. Earth is oblate spheroid in shape
The Qur’an mentions the actual shape of the earth in the following verse:
"And we have made the earth egg shaped".
[Al-Qur’an 79:30]
The Arabic word Dahaha means egg shaped. It also means an expanse. Dahaha is derived from Duhiya which specifically refers to the egg of an ostrich which is oblate spheroid in shape, exactly like the shape of the earth.
Thus the Qur’an and modern established science are in perfect harmony.

maro

muslimah
Could you please explain to me what he means? Every time I read his reply, I think, "That doesn't sound right..."

i guess he is trying to say the meaning in the verse he quoted in post #54
but instead of saying that the christians have no ground to stand upon..he said :they are not really christians !...Meaning that their current beliefs contradict the message of their own prophets and scriptures (before being corrupted)

his selection of words is not that perfect ,i think

Last edited:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
i guess he is trying to say the meaning in the verse he quoted in post #54
but instead of saying thaat the christians have no ground to stand upon..he said :they are not really christians !...Meaning that their current beliefs contradict the message of their own prophets and scriptures (before being corrupted)

his selection of words is not that perfect ,i think

Ok... it makes more sense when you say it. So what you're saying is that since they believe in scriptures that are corrupted, they don't have any grounds for their belief? Let me know if I get it, because this is quite confusing to me. *sorry*

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ok... it makes more sense when you say it. So what you're saying is that since they believe in scriptures that are corrupted, they don't have any grounds for their belief? Let me know if I get it, because this is quite confusing to me. *sorry*
She is just trying to explain for you what did brother Zhakir was trying to say. That's not her position though, i reckon.